Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Need help for GTE!

arvic18arvic18 Taguig CityPosts: 27Member
Need more ideas and sample structure for GTE. Anyone?

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    There are plenty of guidelines you can find online about how to write a GTE, but some links I'd recommend are the following (they more or less have the same content but with different explanations):
    GTE - Home Affairs
    Ministerial Direction 69
    GTE - University of Canberra
    GTE - University of Queensland
    GTE - Acacia

The GTE is very personal, so the contents will be a case-to-case basis. Essentially you really have to make a case for DIBP *not* to reject your student visa application. The GTE is where you can weave a narrative (a.k.a. storytelling) about yourself--your educational/professional background and what led you to want to study in Australia. It's an opportunity for you to share your values, goals, and passion for the course you are taking up. I am no migration expert, but I'm sharing the things I realized while preparing the GTE.

Ministerial Direction 69 isn't a checklist wherein you have to address all of them in your GTE, it's just a guideline for what topics you can cover or think about when writing. I recommend you focus on the following, because the immigration history will already be asked in one part of the application form:
    • Circumstances in Home Country (or Country of Residence) --> What's your motivation to study in Australia?
    • Potential Circumstances in Australia --> How well do you know your intended course and school?
    • Value of the Course to the Applicant's Future --> What are the benefits for you (and your home country) if you study in Australia?
    For my GTE (the signed letter I made, not the one placed in the text box in the application form), I only had 4 paragraphs: The first one introduces what I am (enrolled postgraduate student in [program name] at [university name]), what are my qualifications (I completed my undergraduate degree in [course name] at [university name] in the Philippines), what experience do I have (preferably related to your previous course), and what inspired me to undertake further studies (working on my thesis made me realize the value of lighting in influencing architectural experience).

The second paragraph (which was meant to address Circumstances in Home Country and Potential Circumstances in Australia) explained why I chose to study in Australia. In my case, there is no formal degree in Lighting Design in the Philippines, and the programs in other countries focused more on Fine Arts rather than Architecture. So here, you have to show what kind of efforts you've made to actually research your study/school options. You have to share why you've chosen that specific course (it's a well-defined and technical program) and why you want to attend a specific school (reputable and high-ranking university, both overall and in my field of study).

The third paragraph covered Value of the Course to the Applicant's Future and Circumstances in Home Country. Here, I wrote about my career goals (to be a lighting designer/architect specializing in sustainable design), and how the Australian degree will contribute to my career goal (the skills and knowledge would equip me to find work in the professional or academic industry). Yes, I know that last part seems like a cliche, but to balance that out, I added specific details like how there is a lack of lighting design professionals in the country, and how I hope to add to that number. Really, try to be as specific as possible and relate your course with your future goals.

The fourth paragraph was just a declaration that I only plan to stay in Australia temporarily (my intention to stay in Australia is temporary, as I plan to return to my home country to [your future plans]). If you plan to migrate to Australia down the line (you know, like, after studies), it's best you don't mention that in your GTE. I find it's easier to write about job prospects (i.e. teach at university) or familial obligations (i.e. commissioned by relatives to design their family home, or taking care of elderly parents) in this section. You have to close the GTE by telling why you "need" to go home after your studies. Don't lie or write unrealistic things--be truthful as possible so you won't get into any potential trouble (remember, the GTE is still part of your visa application!).

So, there! I hope my approach/explanation helps! I know I've covered the above factors in different parts of my GTE, but it really depends on you on how you want your narrative to flow. Really, the GTE gives you the freedom to share a slice of your life to the immigration officer, so they would understand where you're coming from (your background) and how the Australian degree will lead you to where you want to go (your career goals/plan). =)

Good luck on that GTE!
    JB26era222angela3nice

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• arvic18arvic18 Taguig City
  • olynskiolynski Cavite
    @athelene thanks sa info
  • JB26JB26 Philippines

@athelene thank you for this helpful tips! May I ask if you have SOP tips for dependent? Thank you!