Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Change of Surname for Permanent Residents

sunflowersunflower BrisbanePosts: 438Member
Hi all! I'm mainly seeking advice, especially from those who have a successful experience with surname change after becoming a Permanent Resident (PR).

I've been a PR since June 2016, but I'll be married this weekend and I would like to change my surname. I've done a fair bit of research on the steps that I would take, which are as follows:
  • Apply for my marriage certificate.
  • Register for a legal name change through the Department of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorces (BDM).
  • Use the marriage certificate to change my name in IDs/registrations/memberships (e.g. driver's licence, medicare, car registration, teacher's registration, bank, ATO, superannuation, etc.).
  • Accomplish the Report of Marriage Form and E-passport Renewal Form then apply for passport renewal and name change through the Philippine Embassy in Canberra/Sydney.

The steps seem pretty straightforward to me. However, I do have concerns:
  1. Will there be any issues with my PR visa status, since my visa document states my maiden name?
  2. Will this name change affect my future citizenship application?
  3. Will there be issues travelling in and out of the Philippines/Australia?

Thank you in advance! :)

EARLY CHILDHOOD (PRE-PRIMARY SCHOOL) TEACHER (ANZSCO 241111)

11/Apr/15: IELTS-IDP AU (L: 8.5, R: 8.5, W: 7.5, S: 8.0)
14/May/15: Lodged AITSL Application
14/Jul/15: Positive Assessment from AITSL
24/Jul/15: Submitted EOI (60 pts.)
6/Sep/15: Received ITA
19/Sep/15: Lodged Visa 189
16/Oct/15: Lodged documents for Teacher Registration
27/Oct/15: CO Allocated (Team Adelaide)
10/Dec/15: Visa Grant :)
12/Feb/16: Became a Registered Teacher in QLD
5/Jun/16: Big Move to Oz!
11/Jun/16: Hired as a Kindergarten Teacher

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. It's what the sunflowers do." -Helen Keller