Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Mechanical engineer

iieejemimaiieejemima PhilippinesPosts: 2Member
edited February 2019 in Working and skilled visas
Good day!
Mag seseek lang po ako advice on what should we do, me and my husband planning to go to australia, kaso we dont know when and what to start., Pag study kasi we ask from consultancy for assestment and yong course na binibigay nila sa wife ko is business management which is outline sa grinaduate niya and walang pathway para makapag PR siya, staka usually sa mga education consultancy wala sila paki if what will happen after mo nandoon na basta imp. Sa kanila nakapag paenroll sila ng student papunta sa australia. If ever igragrab ko yong study and my Husband cN do the job me will do also a partime job is it possible na maoovercome namin expenses pagdating jan. Kasi usually we need expectation versus reality talaga. Possible kaya makakahanap si hobby k ng job related sa kaniya MECHANICAL ENGR. AND 6 Years experience siya sa construction and a MASTER plumber din siya both have PRC licensed. Since ako na wife niya is BS Electrical engineering graduate and 3 yrs. Experience in a construction which I will be the one who study.
We needed advices from the expertice or who is experiencing now as a student and meron dependent na kasama.

Thank you

Comments

• RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,689Member, Administrator, Moderator
    My realistic opinion based on both my experience using student visa as a pathway to PR more than 10 years ago as well as my professional knowledge now as a registered migration agent, firstly it’s not a guaranteed pathway. Even if you study a course which is on the occupation list, a lot can happen within 2 years. Legislations change constantly and there’s no assurance that policies stay the same by the time you finish your course. Not to mention the fees alone are expensive. With regards to work, you’ll only havevwork rights of maximum 20 hours a week. This is not enough to cover the living expenses let alone recover your educational expenses. Also, you need to keep an open mind with the fact that you won’t end up working in the field you want. If you think about it, employers would prefer to hire those who aren’t restricted with work hours. I ended up working in Citibank collections because they do shifts and uni students do those jobs. If it would have not been through my ex Aussie colleague when I worked in Citibank in Philippines, I would have not probably have gotten that job. Like I said, the pay I made there wasn’t enough to sustain me. I remember my parents were still sending me money dahil hindi kaya. At a professional perspective, I actually shy away when people enquire about student visas, I really don’t assist because apart from knowing it isn’t the best pathway to PR, student Visa is very straightforward, I processed it by myself at age 21 years old at that time - that’s how easy it was so I don’t want to take advantage of anyone by charging professional fees when I know they can process the visa by themselves. I’d rather direct them to the immigration website and just follow the steps.

I always advice people that if they meet the general skilled migration pathway requirements, they’re better off taking that route vs student or working visa.

Hope this helps. All the best!
    FilMech
  • magueromaguero Adelaide
    @iieejemima Since pareho naman kayong engineers with work experience, why don't you try to apply directly for skilled migration. Magresearch ka na lang sa DHA website about visa 189, 190 and 489.
  • iieejemimaiieejemima Philippines
    Thank you guys. Such a big helped for us since we are planning to go. Thank you for your advices.
  • kimchiboikimchiboi Sydney
    Tama sabi nila, try 189, 190 and 489 visa...these are permanent resident visas na pwede apply-an ng mister mo. I applied for 189 visa in 2015 as Chemical Engineer and it is actually not difficult for as long as you got the required points. The bulk of the points will come from experience and education. Pero nung dumating ako ng Australia as a PR, the first thing I did is to study a postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering (Masters, coursework) in a reputable university (UNSW) cause I notice na mas marami opening for this type of engineer. Sulit naman after I graduated, I got a job in less than 2 months on a global engineering firm with 6digit annual salary (in AUD) for a start. Studying here is costly so make sure you have a solid plan...most of those studying some courses in a fly-by-night institution usually ended up not getting a PR visa with huge debt. Nag-aral lang ako cause I've got a commonwealth support sa UNSW.

2014AUG03: Conceptualized Oz Plan after 5 bottles of soju in Haeundae with my Korean buddies
    2014OCT18: IELTS Exam (L:7.5, R:8.0, W:6.5, S:7.5)
    2014DEC01: Submit CDR to EA (Chemical Engineer)
    2015JAN18: Received EA Assessment (Bachelor Degree)
    2015FEB14: PTE Academic (L:79, R:87, S:77, W:84)
    2015FEB15: Submitted EOI
    2015FEB27: Received invitation and lodged application for 189
    2015APR13: Visa Granted (Direct)

• cacophonycacophony Pasig
    I'm a mechanical engineer too. Been waiting for invite since Sept 2017. 65 pointer. Having said these, I would suggest you aim for 75 points to receive an invite in today's robust immigration policy. My aim is to take PTE test and make it to superior.

20.08.16 | IELTS Exam
    02.09.16 | IELTS Results (L7.5 R7.0 W5.5 S6.5 | OBS6.5)
    15.11.16 | Start of Sydney Trip
    20.11.16 | End of Sydney Trip
    11.02.17 | IELTS Exam
    24.02.17 | IELTS Results (L7.5 R6.5 W6.0 S7.0 | OBS7.0)
    15.05.17 | Started Composing Career Episodes
    22.08.17 | Created EA Account
    27.08.17 | Lodged MSA + RSEA
    01.09.17 | Applied for Fast Track
    04.09.17 | Booked PTE-A Exam Using AECC Voucher
    08.09.17 | EA replied requesting for additional docs
    18.09.17 | PTE-A Exam
    19.09.17 | PTE-A Exam (L70 R75 W69 S87 | OBS73)
    22.09.17 | Submitted additional docs to EA
    26.09.17 | EA positive outcome with 5 years relevant work experience! God is good!
    27.09.17 | Lodged 189 EOI via Skillselect with total of 65 points
    04.10.17 | Lodged 190 EOI via Skillselect with total of 70 points
    CY.2018 | Waiting game
    20.01.19 | Attended CEVAS review sessions
    25.03.19 | PTE-A Exam (L86 R78 W88 S88 | OBS83)
    08.04.19 | PTE-A Exam (L81 R75 W80 S90 | OBS81)
    06.05.19 | PTE-A Exam (L79 R87 W82 S90 | OBS86) - TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
    06.05.19 | Updated 189 and 190 EOI via SkillSelect with total of 75 and 80 points, respectively
    16.11.19 | EOI 189 and 190 auto-updated to 85 and 90 points, respectively

• jkk32wjkk32w Melbourne
    hello MEs! im asking for a friend na mag aaply for Mech Engr skill but indi sia nag board exam sa pinas. required ba ng Engrs Au ang prc ? thank you sa sasagot. Godbless!

ANZSCO CODE: 233511 || Industrial Engineer
    02.28.2015 || IELTS Test-University of Wollongong Dubai
    03.15.2015 || IELTS Result -L8/R7.5/W7.5/S7.5
    10.04.2015 || Submitted CDR to EA via Fast Track
    10.19.2015 || EA Positive Assessment - Thank Heavens!
    10.19.2015 || Submitted EOI Visa 189 (60 pts)
    11.23.2015 || EOI Auto Updated to 65 pts (8yrs at work)
    11.23.2015 || Received ITA - All Glory to God!
    12.04.2015 || Medical Examination- Nationwide
    12.12.2015 || Lodged Visa 189 / Medical Results Completed
    12.15.2015 || Uploaded all Docs including Form 80s/CVs/PCCs
    01.13.2016 || Direct Grant - All Praises to God.Viva Pit Senyor!
    03.01.2016 || Initial Entry (MEL) for me/baby & Hubby's Big Move
    03.23.2016 || Hubby's First Day of Work! Yipee! :D
    04.15.2016 || Second Visit to AU - MEL & SYD
    07.20.2016 || Hired for AU- Via Online Exams/Skype Interviews
    07.25.2016 || Third Visit to AU
    09.19.2016 || BIG MOVE!
    09.20.2016 || Employed-First Day High.Thank You Good Lord for Everything!

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” ~Marcus Aurelius

"Fate loves the fearless." ~James Russell Lowell

• RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,689Member, Administrator, Moderator
    > @kimchiboi said:
    > Tama sabi nila, try 189, 190 and 489 visa...these are permanent resident visas na pwede apply-an ng mister mo. I applied for 189 visa in 2015 as Chemical Engineer and it is actually not difficult for as long as you got the required points. The bulk of the points will come from experience and education. Pero nung dumating ako ng Australia as a PR, the first thing I did is to study a postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering (Masters, coursework) in a reputable university (UNSW) cause I notice na mas marami opening for this type of engineer. Sulit naman after I graduated, I got a job in less than 2 months on a global engineering firm with 6digit annual salary (in AUD) for a start. Studying here is costly so make sure you have a solid plan...most of those studying some courses in a fly-by-night institution usually ended up not getting a PR visa with huge debt. Nag-aral lang ako cause I've got a commonwealth support sa UNSW.

Hi, just to clarify, 489 isn’t a permanent visa but more a provisional visa which would lead to a permanent one.

With regards to studying, I’m unsure what exactly you mean by fly-by-night institutions. As long as the course is accredited, which institution you study is irrelevant.

I went through student Visa as a pathway (won’t recommend it). I refused to do my studies in university because I knew it was costly. I was more strategic but back then (more than 10 years ago) it was way easier. I didn’t even work in my field of studies because it wasn’t required that time....fast forward, I’m now providing immigration advice to aspiring migrants.
  • EricZEricZ Philippines

@kimchiboi said:
    Tama sabi nila, try 189, 190 and 489 visa...these are permanent resident visas na pwede apply-an ng mister mo. I applied for 189 visa in 2015 as Chemical Engineer and it is actually not difficult for as long as you got the required points. The bulk of the points will come from experience and education. Pero nung dumating ako ng Australia as a PR, the first thing I did is to study a postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering (Masters, coursework) in a reputable university (UNSW) cause I notice na mas marami opening for this type of engineer. Sulit naman after I graduated, I got a job in less than 2 months on a global engineering firm with 6digit annual salary (in AUD) for a start. Studying here is costly so make sure you have a solid plan...most of those studying some courses in a fly-by-night institution usually ended up not getting a PR visa with huge debt. Nag-aral lang ako cause I've got a commonwealth support sa UNSW.

sir, what is it like to study an engineering postgraduate course sa UNSW? pano ang schedule (distribution) ng uni? is it possible to work full-time (since wala nang limit now) & study an engineering postgraduate course at the same time?

TIA