Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

totoo po bang may racism sa Australia?

beth_logginsbeth_loggins SingaporePosts: 64Member
edited March 2013 in General
Sorry po ha.. I was reading articles/forums regarding migration sa Australia..
Alam nyo nman po, being pinoy, we are normally very nomadic people. so ok lang khit sa init or ginaw, nandun tayo.

Pero other races, mga chinese, indians, they say they've experienced alot of racism sa Australia.

Sorry po if this is a "taboo" question, curios lang po ako...
Kasi I have experienced racism growing up abroad too... esp dito sa Singapore. Pero I decided to just ignore it.

Comments

• OkimOkim Sydney
    pre, gising ka pa..
    racism is widespread, may it be against your race, gender, religion, etc..i got my dose when i started working in SG, when they call FT as cheap, trash in my face..at first, nakakainit ng ulo pero nangibabaw pa rin ang pagiging mapagpasensyoso ko.. I expect the same in Au..just be cool & iwas na lang..

NO - 262113 (System Administrator)
    10/23/2012 - NSW SS application
    12/18/2012 - Received NSW SS approval letter
    12/22/2012 - Lodged Visa Application
    02/27/2013 - Visa Grant!!
    06/30/2013 - IED!

• NadineNadine Brisbane
    edited March 2013
    It's everywhere po!

I've worked with Singaporeans, Aussies and Americans.

Sa totoo lang, I've experienced more "discrimination" in Sg than the other two countries. But then again, I've worked in Sg longer din naman. So, maybe I haven't experienced the worst here just yet.

The thing is, aren't we also racist din naman in a way? Yun na lang makakita tayo Indian, we immediately assume they are not as hygienic as we are, or tamad sila, or kung ano-ano pa naiisip natin. Just because that's what we've come to know them. Hindi natin sila kilala, di nila tayo kilala. Still, we judge them, they judge us. That's essentially discrimination po. It doesn't make what they're doing to us right, but it makes sense in a way.

I say, Pinoy tayo, magaling tayo. Ba't tayo papa-apekto. :)

21 Dec 2012 - 457 lodged
    7 Jan 2013 - medical finalised
    8 Jan 2013 - visa approved

• scorcherscorcher Sydney

my observation, most people here in AU don't discriminate. some do but in a subtle way while others they show it bluntly. there are anti-discrimation laws here in place and even sa workplace.
    But if you think abt it Pinoys including myself has more tendency to discriminate. maybe its our way of upbringing. like pag mas maitim sila or nasa public school sila or accent nila kakaiba or even iba yung sexual preference iba. it
    may not be racial but still its discrimination. and it will naturally comes out specially pag nagalit tayo sa tao na iyon and lalabas na lahat ng lait. sad but true.

Here in oz there are fee people who will voice out their preference on all white oz. some of them have southern cross tatoo and.... teka nagdidiscriminate na naman ako.
    cheers!
  • li_i_renli_i_ren North Ryde
    edited March 2013
    Mas racist ang pinoy; p hahahaa! And some wala pang filter, tactless.

Top questions ng pinoy na you will never hear sa ibang kahi being asked to you ( personal experience ko toh)

1. How much do you earn? If malaki.. They wont believe you or sour graping example, " ahh mahal naman ng cost of living in sydney so kulang pa yung sweldo mu" . If maliit, sabay sabi sa salary nila without being asked.
    2. You married? If no, then hanapan ka ng bf or gf.. May trabaho nga, pr or citizen pero ang hangin naman tapos wala namang itsura; p
    If yes, then ung hubby nasa pinas pa.. Hanapan ka pa rin ng bf kasi may mistress na daw si mister sa pinas... Hahaha... Judgemental agad.
    3. Follow up, anung trabaho ni mister.. If wla trabajo, look down agad. If nag aaral sabay sabi oi.. Tagal pa nyan.
    4. May bagon kotse ka or phone.. Sabay comment si pinoy co- worker, pangit yang samsung. Kopya lang sa apple..next week bili ako ng iphone 5 mas maganda yun.
    Hahahaha. Di naman ako bumili ng samsumg para makigpag compare sa apple... Anung paki alam ko nun and d naman kita tinatanong if bibili ka bah.
    5. Taga saan ka sa atin.. Ai probensya. Huh? I dont get that answer. With matching ganu ka na ka tagal dito sa oz? Maganda noh in a condensending manner like you have never been out of the country before and its not like they will know kasi they dont really know you. Uhmm... Hello, if you only knew i have travelled for holidays outside of the country na and have lived across the ditch for the last 3 yrs or so. But they judge you as probensyano based on your hometown.

Kahit sa kapwa pinoy nag discriminate din or nakikipag competition.

Kahit saan may discrimination! Nasa atin na lang how we handle it... Ako natatawa na lang ako kasi so many times it has happened to me na parang scripted na nga eh.
  • Khaosan_RoadKhaosan_Road Melbourne
    Even among themselves may racial discrimination. May mga Aussie friends ako na immigrants din parents nila pero they were born na sa AU, dun na sila lumaki. From Europe (Croatia, Switzerland, England, Italy) nagoriginate mga parents nila. Sabi nila they experienced racial discrimination from white-Aussies while growing up. Hindi naman daw maiiwasan yun kaya makikita mo daw kahit papaano na may segregation based from race and ethnic division.

Pero tama si @li_i_ren, may babangis pa ba sa mga Pinoy kung magdiscriminate ng kapwa?

Analyst Programmer (ANZSCO Code 261311)
    11-05-11: IELTS Exam Result (L-6.5, R-8.5, W-7, S-8)
    11-28-12: Submitted requirements to ACS
    01-08-13: ACS Suitable
    01-08-13: Submitted EOI
    01-21-13: Received invitation to lodge a Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189)
    02-06-13: Lodged visa application
    02-06-13: Performed Medical exam
    03-22-13: CO Allocated (Team 06 GSM Adelaide, JH)
    03-27-13: Submitted PH Police Clearance, Form 80
    04-26-13: Submitted MY and TH Police Clearance, payslips
    05-13-13: VISA GRANT!
    10-29-13: Initial Entry (Melbourne)

• joestrummerjoestrummer Perth
    Racial Discrimination is something we have to live with in this world. It's not something we have to openly express though. I had my fair share of being discriminated on because of who I am and what my country is but that doesn't mean I have to react openly to these. As much as we love to just be one with everybody regardless of the color of their skin or who they are, time is all we need to be able to be accepted in any society.

In the plain sociological situations where a certain group of people with the same language, same objectives or any other interest, any individual trying to blend in but is different from the rest is looked upon as a "foreigner", an "outsider" and or sometimes an "enemy". This makes up for the whole racial discrimination incidents that we encounter. We are treated as somebody "different", somebody "who should not be living in their country".

The big question is how can we end this? Sadly nobody can tell. It's all a matter of time before they can adjust and see us as plain humans just like they are, who eats the same food, breathes the same air and someone who lives in that same world where they live. While that may not be soon, the important thing for us to do is to adjust, extend our patience, be reasonable and of course accept them as who they are and hope for the best that they will accept us too in the soonest time possible.

October 27, 2012 - IELTS GT Module
    November 9, 2012 - IELTS Result (L-9 : R-8 : W-8 : S-7.5: OBS - 8)
    December 27, 2012 - EA Documents Sent for Assessment
    May 18, 2013 - Positive Assessment from EA
    May 20, 2013 - Invitation to Lodge 189
    May 26, 2013 - Lodged 189 and IMMI Acknowledgement
    July 2, 2013 - Medicals
    July 12, 2013 - CO Allocated Adelaide GSM Team 7
    (Requested for Form 80, PCCs, Marriage Certificate and Additional Evidences of Overseas Employment)
    August 1, 2013 - Visa Grant (Salamat po sa Panginoon, at siyempre sa mga idol sa pinoyau)
    February 23, 2014 - Arrived in Perth, WA

• akinoakino Sydney
    edited March 2013
    Discrimination is everywhere, it just a matter of how you handle things and if you allow it to happen. Try to voice out whenever you feel that you are discriminated so it won’t happen again.

I agree with those who said that pinoys are also racist, one blunt example is when looking for a job in pinas, most employers would set their qualifications that sounds so discriminating like must have pleasing personality, sets age limit, graduated from top 4 uni’s…etc...isn’t it discriminating?..pag wala ka na sa age bracket nila wla ka ng chance makapag –apply. Whereas here, they will not bother to ask your personal details at all, they are after of your skill and what you can do for their company..

As for me, I don’t need their acceptance of who I am, where I came from and it doesn’t make me feel less as a person because of my origin.

One thing I have learned from living in a foreign country is we should always be proud of who we are and don’t try to blend in, but try to stand out.
  • Davidx23Davidx23 Brisbane
    Even a French lady was harassed on a public train in melbourne because she was singing in french. This was reported in the news a couple of months ago.
  • beth_logginsbeth_loggins Singapore
    GAnon ba... delikado din para tayo sa Aussie Land.
    Well I have been studying and working in Singapore for the past 20 odd years pero oo meron din talaga dito na racist esp yung mga chinese.. pero d ko lang pinapansin.

• TasBurrfootTasBurrfoot Osaka
    agree to all that pinoy are more racist than the indians, british, malays, spanish, chinese and aussies i have worked with previously in singapore... ahahaha!! :)

i remember being discriminated before when i first worked in manila; taga saan ka? ay mindanao? bisaya? i thought darked skinned mga taga mindanao...

seriously it is up to us to react on it. i choose to just brush it off. as long as hindi ka sinasaktan physically or your work gets affected because of discrimination, i say just let it pass...

make it an inspiration to even do harder! :)

Primary Applicant: Wife
    Accountant (General): 221111

04 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module)
    07 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module) Speaking Part
    17 Aug 2012 - IELTS Results (L: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 7.0 S: 7.5 OBS: 8.0)
    24 Aug 2012 - CPAA Submitted (docs mailed same day via SG EMS)
    25 Sep 2012 - Received +Skills Assessment from CPAA
    25 Sep 2012 - Lodged EOI Application with 70pts
    30 Sep 2012 - Invited by DIAC to apply for 189 Visa
    01 Oct 2012 - Submitted 189 Visa Application
    20 Oct 2012 - Medical Examinations
    23 Oct 2012 - CO Assigned; Team 7 - SA
    05 Nov 2012 - Submitted SG PCC and NBI Clearance
    06 Nov 2012 - Visa Granted (IED: 23/10/2013)
    03 Apr 2013 - Flight to MEL
    03 Jun 2013 - started work
    12 Jun 2013 - wife started work
    15 Jun 2016 - applied for citizenship
    29 Jul 2016 - citizenship examination
    20 Oct 2016 - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!

• LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue North Ryde
    we should make a pledge n tyong new pinoy immigrant won't be racist kahit yung iba racist. :)

stop spreading the virus.

ICT Business Analyst - Visa 189 Granted Oct 2012

• LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    Racism exists everywhere...di lang sa Australia...Pilipinas pa lang andami na e hehe...so shrug it off...just work hard and succeed
  • LakiMaselLakiMasel Perth
    Sa experience ko mas racist ang Pinoy kesa sa mga Australian, American or whatever nationality pa na nakasama ko.
  • gemini23gemini23 Win
    Ako naka-experience ng racism when i was in Singapore one time for a holiiday, tanong ba naman ng river nung nasakyan kong taxi "isn't your day-off?" nung sinagot ko n i was just there for a short holiday, nagulat pa at ayaw pang maniwala. Bahala sya s buhay nya if ayaw nyang maniwala pero parang ang k-hurt din isipin n just because u don't look chinese or westerners mapagkakamalan k ng maid. :-(

Follow your heart but trust your gut.

• gemini23gemini23 Win
    @li_i_ren Ayus ang thought no. 2 mo.....:-P

Follow your heart but trust your gut.

• sheepsheep Sydney
    kaya it's no wonder na watak watak ang mga fil organization,mayrong 2 or 3 fil organization sa isang lugar...pag filipino fiesta ang isang organization yung isa di man patatalo mag gawa rin ng event na filipino fiesta kaya ang minsan na ausie reporter magtaka na kahapon filipino yung fiesta ngayon filipino rin....are they different?pati ang mayor napipilitan na lang na aatend sa ibat ibang fil organization,,kung sa church naman sa labas tsismis ang pinag uusapan,pag sa party gagawan ng istorya ang isang tao para pagtawanan at compare dito compare doon pati sa sahod...pag may umasenso dami ng estorya na lumalabas.,pag tumaas ang position sinisiraan.sometimes i can say that it is not already discrimination against fellow pinoy kundi Crab mentality na..

"god thank you for everything!!!!!1

• barlovalbarloval Sydney
    Kahit saan may racism, its up for u how to handle. Pag asian ka iba talaga tingin ng mga puti sa atin, kala nila mas may alam cla when in fact mas magaling tayo sa kanila. Kahit saan magaling talaga tayong mga pinoy magtrabaho.,pero ewan ko ba bat di umasenso ang pinas. Work hard lang tslaga ang wag kang pa affect sa mga puti. Pag sinigawan ka sigawan mo rin. Parehas lang tayo ng rights. Wag tayong paapi, dapat taas noo pa rin tayong mga pinoy.
  • aoleeaolee Singapore
    edited March 2013
    In my opinion racism in sg is worst. For those are or been in sg for years. Whenever you full up some questionnaire form they always ask you for your race. In the Philippines, correct me if im wrong you dont usually see this kind of question. .

Please contact admin if you need anything from me, I dont often login to this account.

Please spare some time to read our "Rules" located at the bottom of the page.

• LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue North Ryde
    sa SG, racism is institutionalized. bawal mabuntis ang social worker or FDW, bawal magdependent ang sumusweldo below 4K, i-reject PR application mo bec of race. You can't blame them kc npakaliit nung country, they have to resort to this policy & it reflects sa culture. mababa tingin nila sa construction worker, samantalang sa AU mayayaman mga to.

ICT Business Analyst - Visa 189 Granted Oct 2012

• aoleeaolee Singapore
    edited March 2013
    @LittleBoyBlue, I also notice in SG Foreign laborers are from outside Singapore and they are being paid the lowest salary.

e.g
    Bangladesh => road works ,cleaners
    Pinoys => Maid

In short if non-local usually gets the dirty works and lowest pay, unlike in Australia all or mostly are being paid equally. what i mean is salary gap is not really that huge.

super racism!

Please contact admin if you need anything from me, I dont often login to this account.

Please spare some time to read our "Rules" located at the bottom of the page.

• hotshothotshot Sydney
    edited March 2013
    se eleksyon nga mismo sa sg e....ang plataporma na panlaban ay "locals first".

May 21 2012 - lodged visa 176 (NSW) online application
    May 30 2012 - CO allocation
    Jul 16 2012 - Visa Granted! (IED Deadline: May 16, 2013)
    Jan 19 2013 - Arrived in Sydney
    Jan 20 2013 - Started our job hunt
    Mar 11 2013 - Officially became a "HOUSE-BAND" :)
    Apr 22 2013 - End of my "HOUSE-BAND" career :)

• NadineNadine Brisbane
    edited March 2013
    Pag Singapore talaga pinag-uusapan, nakikisali ako! :D

May experience ako sa sinasabi niyo when I first arrived in Sg a few years ago. My nakilala akong chinese "aunty". Hindi siya makapaniwala na professional ako at tumatanggap na pala ang Singapore ng Filipino professionals. Dati daw kasi, mga pinay na tinatanggap lang ng Sg ay domestic helpers. Sa isip ko, wala namang masama sa pagiging maid ah. In fact, kung umalis lahat ng domestic helpers natin sa kanila at lumipat ng bansa, crippled silang lahat !! Their families depend on nannies for virtually everything! Pero yung pagkasabi kasi niya, parang nagpapahiwatig na mababa tingin nila sa DH (who they depend on 24/7) at satin.

Another experience... Yung medical officer na Singaporean is being paid more than Pinoys (siguro 1-2k more per month) even if pareho ng trabaho at rank. Mas madami pa nga trabaho Pinoy eh kasi hindi naman tumatanggi ng work at generally naaasahan. Super discriminating! At least dito sa Aus, it doesn't matter what your age or race is, salary is fair!

21 Dec 2012 - 457 lodged

• Davidx23Davidx23 Brisbane
    At least dito sa Aus, it doesn't matter what your age or race is, salary is fair!
    Uhm, there has been a recent topic on the news that men are paid more than women. Another point, there are more men in the upper management position than women here in Aus.
  • NadineNadine Brisbane
    edited March 2013
    At least dito sa Aus, it doesn't matter what your age or race is, salary is fair!
    Uhm, there has been a recent topic on the news that men are paid more than women. Another point, there are more men in the upper management position than women here in Aus.
    Ano po industry yan Sir?

Sa amin naman, published by the governing body kung ano pay mo pag ganun position mo. As in, mahahanap sa google. Very transparent. Sa Sg kasi po, pareho kayo medical officer ng isang Singaporean citizen, pareho kayo job etc. Pero they generally get more pay. Pinoys can probably catch up with them in say, 5-10 years. Sobrang tagal.

As to the sexes naman, siguro sa amin, mas madami kasi lalaki na surgeons at compared to babae, mas madami pediatricians na babae. Surgeons are generally paid more than pedia dahil mas toxic ang oras, mas high-risk for litigation, haha! Kaya siguro lumalabas na mas kumikita ang lalaki, bihira babae nag-surgery. :D

21 Dec 2012 - 457 lodged

• li_i_renli_i_ren North Ryde
    @dAvid.. That is a general statement. Men are paid more than women and men are always more often offered a promotion than women anywhere in the world. Kaya nga you can only name a handful of women who have held a c.e.o position in the forbes 100 list.

Like stock brokers.. Banks and even govt posts, dominated still by men.

Maraming profession still very male dominated hence the statement.. Men are paid higher than women. Women tend to pass up on promotions kasi of family matters, go on maternity leave compared to men etc dba?

Anywhere in the world po yan women have not had the same opportunities as men and if they do it is at a great personal cost din like not marrying.. Like the ceo of yahoo, only went for 3 months maternity leave kasi she probably felt uf she left more her position isnt secure. Sad but true.
  • sheepsheep Sydney
    jollibe open it's store in singapore but singaporean's is angry because jollibe is filling the vacant position with filipino..sabi nila singaporean daw ang dapat unahin..kaya sabi nila i boycott pero when jollibe open..marami pa rin ang nakapila mostly Pilipino...kaya successful pa rin ang opening..despite the odds...

"god thank you for everything!!!!!1

• hotshothotshot Sydney
    jollibe open it's store in singapore but singaporean's is angry because jollibe is filling the vacant position with filipino..sabi nila singaporean daw ang dapat unahin..kaya sabi nila i boycott pero when jollibe open..marami pa rin ang nakapila mostly Pilipino...kaya successful pa rin ang opening..despite the odds...
    e naman kasi kahit iboycott nila... buhay pa din jollibee sa dami ng pinoy sa sg. hehehe

May 21 2012 - lodged visa 176 (NSW) online application
    May 30 2012 - CO allocation
    Jul 16 2012 - Visa Granted! (IED Deadline: May 16, 2013)
    Jan 19 2013 - Arrived in Sydney
    Jan 20 2013 - Started our job hunt
    Mar 11 2013 - Officially became a "HOUSE-BAND" :)
    Apr 22 2013 - End of my "HOUSE-BAND" career :)

• LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    May nabasa ako dati...tungkol kay Seth Macfarlane...creator ng Family Guy.

Kaya raw masarap pagtawanan ang mga Pinoy kasi maliit na bagay lang laiitin mo sa kanila, todo na kung maka-react. hehe

So I guess, this is just one of the things we need to change in ourselves. The notion of racism will always be there in any country. That's part of living in a multi cultural world. Huwag lang tayo papatinag at mag-alala kung racist ang isang bansa o ano...Just do your work and live honorably :D
  • TasBurrfootTasBurrfoot Osaka
    May nabasa ako dati...tungkol kay Seth Macfarlane...creator ng Family Guy.

Kaya raw masarap pagtawanan ang mga Pinoy kasi maliit na bagay lang laiitin mo sa kanila, todo na kung maka-react. hehe

So I guess, this is just one of the things we need to change in ourselves. The notion of racism will always be there in any country. That's part of living in a multi cultural world. Huwag lang tayo papatinag at mag-alala kung racist ang isang bansa o ano...Just do your work and live honorably :D
    Well said pare... :)

Primary Applicant: Wife
    Accountant (General): 221111

04 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module)
    07 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module) Speaking Part
    17 Aug 2012 - IELTS Results (L: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 7.0 S: 7.5 OBS: 8.0)
    24 Aug 2012 - CPAA Submitted (docs mailed same day via SG EMS)
    25 Sep 2012 - Received +Skills Assessment from CPAA
    25 Sep 2012 - Lodged EOI Application with 70pts
    30 Sep 2012 - Invited by DIAC to apply for 189 Visa
    01 Oct 2012 - Submitted 189 Visa Application
    20 Oct 2012 - Medical Examinations
    23 Oct 2012 - CO Assigned; Team 7 - SA
    05 Nov 2012 - Submitted SG PCC and NBI Clearance
    06 Nov 2012 - Visa Granted (IED: 23/10/2013)
    03 Apr 2013 - Flight to MEL
    03 Jun 2013 - started work
    12 Jun 2013 - wife started work
    15 Jun 2016 - applied for citizenship
    29 Jul 2016 - citizenship examination
    20 Oct 2016 - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!

• lytelyte Perth
    yeah that's the filipino spirit. kung di tau ihire sa work sa kung anumang dahilan, marami pa ibang opportunities where cultural diversity is well-accepted. let us show them how globally competitive filipinos are!