Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

What are the OPTIONS for nurses

Comments

• iammaxwell1989iammaxwell1989 Melbourne
    Hello folks,

I need your opinions and advice regarding me and my GF's career moves.

My gf is a registered nurse working in SLMC for almost a year now. The training and experience is good but in my opinion, she is undercompensated considering the work load she has. Anyway, I am including her as secondary applicant for Visa 476.

1. Do you have any ideas where she can take bridging programs in Melbourne of Perth?

2. What sort of jobs can she apply for while she's taking the BP? Pwede na ba sya sa hospital if she has working rights or she really has to finish the BP?

Thank you guys.

10&13 Oct 2012 - IELTS
    26 Oct 2012 - IELTS Results
    17 Feb 2013 - Lodged Visa 476
    07 June 2013 - CO Allocated
    22 Aug 2013 - Visa Grant for me and my girlfriend
    07 April 2014 - Touchdown Melbourne!
    14 March 2015 - IELTS in Melbourne
    16 June 2015 - Submitted EA Skills Assessment (Electrical Engineer)
    23 June 2015 - PTE-A in Melbourne
    2 July 2015 - Received positive EA skills assessment
    6 July 2015 - Submitted EOI for visa 189 (65 points)
    3 Aug 2015 - ITA
    4 Aug 2015 - Lodged app for visa 189. Bridging visa released
    19 Nov 2015 - Visa 189 granted for me and my GF
    7 April 2018 - Lodged Citizenship
    21 Jan 2019 - Immi response
    29 March 2019 - Citizenship exam passed

• li_i_renli_i_ren North Ryde
    @amedina the school will assess the documents that you will give them and they will advise how long the bridging you take.. whether 1 year or 3 months... :)

the following are the BP providers i know:
    curtin univeristy
    hollywood private hospital - in western australia (perth ata) this one is quite affordable pero very tough ung competition to get in.
    VICTORIAN COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND NURSING -melbourne
    http://www.vchn.vic.edu.au/courses.php?id=10&imgid=Nur&&cpPoint=M

if you guys need more info please go this forum, this is the forum that helped me when i applied to new zealand and eventually move to australia, www.nurse2nz.forumotion.com

all the post there are from nurses like us. the site does not advocate going through an agency kasi we can really do it on our own! ..it's cheaper and safer that way. so please give them a visit:)
    @jem_024 please remember if even if you are a nursing assistant here or caregiver..that is NOt a pathway to become a nurse in oz. caregivers/ nursing assistants in oz are actually nursing students or out of school high school students/ or part time students. they do not even need a certificate to work in age cares, required lang yan for migrants.

the only pathway to become a nurse is to take an approved bridging program from a recognized provider by aphra.. the only pathway is ielts+ experience (kahit 1 year pwdi na for bridging or even new grad it will just make the bridging a bit longer) + bridging program = aphra nursing license.

sobrang daming agency in the philippines who will tell nurses to become caregivers here and take a caregiving course then tapos later na daw mag bridging..what happens is double gastos na. true, you can work here as a caregiver pero with the cost of living in oz plus the cost of the bridging some nurses who take that pathway will not be able to afford to take the bridging course na unless meron silang family willing to shoulder the expenses to take the bridging course.

so do think about it.. ok lang din naman to become a caregiver here if you are qualified naman to take the bridging program later on and if you are confident that once aphra assess your documents that you will get a nursing license.
  • jem_024jem_024 Quezon City
    what if wala po ako balak kumuha ng bridging program? may makukuha kaya akong full time sa work?? kahit na nursing grad lang po ako?? at syaka po possible din ba na may mag sponsor sakin na state sa oz kahit hindi ako registered nurse? at itatanun ko na din po ang pagiging nursing assistant/ caregiver po ba dyan eh mabubuhay na ako sa araw2 na pangangailangan?? sensya n po dami kong tanong... salmat
    @jem_024 the easiest to answer is about sponsorship... NO ONE will sponsor you for a nursing assistant work kasi hindi po yan skilled work.. or not in demand job kasi even people na walang degree or highschool lang na tapos eh pwdi maging nursing assistant. so NO sponsorship available po yan.. unless may family ka dito who is going to get you on a family / fiancee type visa.. i don't see what kind of visa will be good for you.

pay sa nursing assistant is minimum wage po.. which isn't bad. i mean good enough po yan to live on if you are single and don't need to send money home. but comfortable life po naman yan for singles. pero dapat po housesharing or flatting ka nyan para maka tipid if you plan to save.

with regards to work, try to google sa seek or just google in general.. you will find the answer there. but remember in demand lang ang nursing assistant/ caregivers sa rest homes..marami naman pong rest homes (pwdi mu yan input sa google and see sa careers section if may job listings) .. kasi like sa hospitals, you won't find listings for nursing assistants/ caregivers. i think that will give you a clear view if you will find work and/ or how easy it will be..if you can't find much listings then that should answer your own question.

if you are a nurse, you can earn from 30 to 40aud an hour but remember minimum wage is what 16-18 aud per hour...that's a huge pay gap.. sayang naman ung 4 years BSN mu. get that board exam, experience and come here as a nurse.. big difference in lifestyle i will tell you that.
  • sofabedsofabed Sydney
    @li_i_ren sorry to disrupt po but i saw that you're working as a nurse in NSW. would you know if there is available accommodation for rent (4 PAX) near Dalcross Hospital? My sister and her classmates (all pinoys) will be assigned there for their bridging program.. Thank you! ;;)

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER (263311)

03.10.2012 - IELTS exam (IDP)
    03.23.2012 - IELTS Results (L:7.5 R:7.5 W: 7.5 S: 7.5)
    04.17.2012 - Lodged CDR
    09.07.2012 - Received successful assessment EA
    09.09.2012 - Submitted EOI - 190
    09.13.2012 - Submitted SS (SA)
    10.08.2012 - Submitted EOI - 189
    10.14.2012 - Received invite (189)
    10.15.2012 - Lodged 189 Visa
    10.16.2012 - DIAC Acknowledgment
    10.22.2012 - PCC
    10.24.2012 - Medical
    11.03.2012 - CO Allocation; Adelaide Team 6 CC
    11.13.2012 - Visa Granted! (God is good all the time!)

• amedinaamedina Sydney
    hi li_i_ren, thank you for your info! one thing i want to ask, may idea ka ba regarding the english language course of universities in NSW? kasi I had my ielts exam and I only got 6.5. In this case, can I take this course? after the ELICOS, need pa ba mag ielts there in australia? I saw the payment for it and its so expensive. please give me some info on this. thank you!

11/17/12: passed school application thru IDP * 12/4/12: received letter of offer (univ. of newcastle) * 12/12/12: credit application * 2/22/13: received new letter of offer * 2/26/13: paid deposit fee * 3/8/13: received COE and paid visa fee * 4/10/13: visa application thru IDP * 4/11/13: medical request from DIAC * 4/12/13: medical exam done * 4/19/13: SLEC uploaded my medicals * 4/12/13: medical exam done * 7/11/13: VISA GRANTED

@sofabed sorry sofa.. try na lang po sa www.domain.co.au or sa realestate.com.au or sa gumtree.co.au

@amedina, don't take an english course kasi what elicos will do is just teach you english so you can pass oet/ ielts ..meaning take ka pa rin ng ielts...talagang double gastos ka nyan kasi pay for the course and retake for ielts plus the time and cost you are spending while here in oz. you need to retake the ielts kasi with a 6.5 you will not find a school that will accept you for bridging and also you will not get your APHRA license kasi requirement din nila yan. APHRA is the professional regulating body for nurses dito sa oz.
    eto bridging school in nsw.. one of their entry requirement is ielts of 7 po. please open the link..please read na lang po and go to the internatianal student na link ... http://www.deakin.edu.au/health/pdu/preregistration-course.php
  • amedinaamedina Sydney
    @li_i_ren: thanks for the info. expensive nga. that's what I worry about. so I'll just re-take the ielts here in PH. sana I get 7.0 this time. If not, re-take ulit. haha. I am not going to study bridging course kasi I dont have xperience yet. I'm going to take bachelor of nursing for 3 yrs.

another question again, do AU hospitals allow students to work in a hospital as nursing assistant? how much is the salary? I just want to help my lola with my expenses when I get there. thankss! :)

11/17/12: passed school application thru IDP * 12/4/12: received letter of offer (univ. of newcastle) * 12/12/12: credit application * 2/22/13: received new letter of offer * 2/26/13: paid deposit fee * 3/8/13: received COE and paid visa fee * 4/10/13: visa application thru IDP * 4/11/13: medical request from DIAC * 4/12/13: medical exam done * 4/19/13: SLEC uploaded my medicals * 4/12/13: medical exam done * 7/11/13: VISA GRANTED

edited October 2012
    ahh so meaning you're not in college yet? bale new graduate ka pa sa high school? if you take nursing here mas better..only 3 years! i mean if PR ka it's very cheap pa rin if you think about it and you get a first world degree that you can use in other first world countries.

minimum wage po amedina.. for any non-professional job. minimum wage in oz is about 16-18 dollars ata. i can be wrong but that is what i see in the news. there should be jobs.. part time for students..almost all students here work part time..kahit 14 years old here in oz may part time job pero not necessarily as nurse assistant for sure there are other part time work.

but yes take ielts again..easier in the philippines still. also if you are coming here to go to school..most school require an academic band score of 7. kasi for professional course po yan and not blue collar work which is the general category and band score of 6 lang needed.

good luck to you!!!! be a registered nurse..it does pay well if not IT courses also pays well here . i would say sana commerce pero it's very competitive and medicine too consider it also.. starting pay for junior doctors is about 100,000 thou aud annually, 200,000 thou annually for resident doctors (training but paid!).. upto 400,000 aud annually for consultant/ GPs. and 4 years lang din yan.. may 1 year ate for rotations..so parang 5 years pero still very short compared to medicine in the philippines.

also for student nurses here you get your placements in several hospitals, the nice thing with that is..you get to choose which area you do like and the school will really try to put you there. most units/ hospitals have a new graduate program, if you get assigned to their unit there is a big chance you will be employed by that hospital once you graduate. so instant work din.. very lax ung training here in nursing, lots of paperwork but very lax clinically. i precept/ tutor nursing students.. i've only been here for 2 months pero 2 nursing students na under sa akin kasi the school just leaves their students with the staff nurses and we teach/ look after the student who is doing a rotation in the unit.

if i still had the brain cells..i would pursue medicine also pero facebook has killed most of my brain cells..hehehehe!

think about it.. :D
  • amedinaamedina Sydney
    @li_i_ren: no. I am already a registered nurse here in PH but Aus don't accredit what I learned for 4 years so I need to study BSN again there for 3 years to gain registration. I am not worried with the tuition fee and accommodation coz my lola will cover that. What I worry is that I need to have a part-time work with enough salary for my daily baon and padala din sa parents ko here sa PH. Can I have your idea if mataas ba ang chances na maka-work ako sa hospitals while studying? kahit as nursing assistant lang. thanks for your thoughts. :)

@amedina, wouldn't that be the more expensive route? The IELTS + bridging program will get you the registration, and i think that's the faster, less expensive route.

10&13 Oct 2012 - IELTS
    3 Aug 2015 - ITA

• amedinaamedina Sydney
    @iammaxwell1989: yes. i know it will be more expensive but my lola prefer a university near her house in newcastle; unfortunately, bridging course is not offered there. so no choice ako, study BSN ulet for 3 years. i know a lot a univ in sydney for bridging course but its far from newcastle, i think 2-3 hrs via train. i have no other options. that's why i need to have a part-time work. any ideas? :)

• fullmetal_nellfullmetal_nell Herndon
    edited October 2012
    Hi guys! new lang po ako dito. My wife, kid and I are planning to migrate. balak namin sya ung principal applicant, she a nurse here with more than 3 years exp and sa kilalang medical center dito. mas maganda din kasi ang academic background nya. nasa section 1 ung school nya. ok ba na sya ang principal applicant? we are planning to apply for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa. tia!
    Hi guys! new lang po ako dito. My wife, kid and I are planning to migrate. balak namin sya ung principal applicant, she a nurse here with more than 3 years exp and sa kilalang medical center dito. mas maganda din kasi ang academic background nya. nasa section 1 ung school nya. ok ba na sya ang principal applicant? we are planning to apply for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa. tia!
    Consider your IELTS scores as well. =)

10&13 Oct 2012 - IELTS
    3 Aug 2015 - ITA

@amedina there really isn't that much hiring for nursing assistants in the hospitals.. try to look in seek/ gumtree or other job sites bihira lang you will see a hospital job. the best you can do is caregiver which is nursing assistant din naman pero quite physical labor po yan ..kasi full cares po ung caregivers (bathing, lifting, feeding) kahit na po , nursing student ka in a university here... the best you can do is part time kasi full time po yan na studies that you want to do. you will have enough money for baon but i doubt po you will have money to send home kasi full time studies takes a bit of your week po.. so more or less 20 hours a week ka lang makakawork if you plan to graduate in 3 years BSN here.

20 hours.. you can eat out na din, pay for transpo, shop a little...but not much else really even if libre pa bahay with your lola. i think it's not fair din naman for you to work more than that and also study full time BSN.. daming paperwork nila here.

i know it may sound like a good idea specially since lola is shouldering the expenses for a 3 years BSN..but if you are already a BSN sa pinas... ielts and bridging is still better. you will earn about 30 dollars / hour ...you can help lola and your parents back home with that salary in a year's time or so.

i think lola is not very well-versed in what she wants you to do.. i think it's a big ask for you and a bit unfair.. it may sound like a blessing to have someone pay for your tuition but in the long run..it's not a good idea.

that's just my 2 cents.. why be a student and work part time...when with a little bit of patience you can be earning really good money to help your parents, yourself and lola??

think about it..
    @fullmetal_nell question number 1 is .. yes your nurse is a nurse ( i am too.. 7 years experience, 3 years of that in nz) but just because you are a nurse doesn't mean that because you have a visa you can find work here right away. you need ielts/ bridging and a current valid aphra nursing registration for employers to even consider employing you..

it doesn't matter what school or hospital you worked in the philippines.. i have a friend who also came with me from new zealand.. he even had to fight with the hospital as his 3 years experience in the philippines was not considered and only his new zealand experience was considered..that's a huge pay difference po.. but eventually it was considered din but not after much conflict and it was only because he is already employed and is a registered nurse in australia.

not all nurses who come to australia can work as a nurse. you need talaga an australian nursing registration..and the only way to do that is ielts and a bridging course unless you are a registered nurse in the uk/ ireland and new zealand.

but for visa purposes, it should be ok.. what im just trying to say it that just because you are a nurse in the philippines doesn't mean you can automatically be a nurse in australia. the process is very straightforward but very strict din po.

ielts+ bridging + aphra registration = australian nurse.

that's the formula po..no shortcuts.
  • fullmetal_nellfullmetal_nell Herndon
    hi thanks for the reply! we already know that. I'm asking if its a good choice if my wife will nominate her skill as a registered nurse for our visa application 189. balak namin sya gawin principal applicant. although pwede din ako as an analyst programmer. pero mas maganda academic background nya. Meron nba nakagawa nun? will our application be approved?
  • Jenny_sgJenny_sg Singapore
    Hi li_i_ren!

Pwede po ask ko lang kung mahirap ba un nursing board dyan?
  • amedinaamedina Sydney
    li_i_ren: thanks for your advise. I thought about the bridging course before but I have not mentioned that to my lola. I'll try to talk and suggest this to her. One more thing, do you know a university near newcastle that offers bridging course? I need your help on this. Thanks.

Hi @li_i_ren. What's the step-by-step process in applying for the BP? A friend of mine told me that you would have to get a certificate from APHRA that you are eligible for a bridging program. Is this accurate? Or is the application for the BP made directly with the university conducting the BP? Please enlighten us. Thank you. =)

10&13 Oct 2012 - IELTS
    3 Aug 2015 - ITA

• amedinaamedina Sydney
    @li_i_ren: I also want to ask how to apply for BP? What's the step-by-step process? What are the requirements? How long will the process take? I really need information on this. Thank you very much! :)

• lock_code2004lock_code2004 Perth
    hi thanks for the reply! we already know that. I'm asking if its a good choice if my wife will nominate her skill as a registered nurse for our visa application 189. balak namin sya gawin principal applicant. although pwede din ako as an analyst programmer. pero mas maganda academic background nya. Meron nba nakagawa nun? will our application be approved?
    kung tama po ang pagkaintindi ko.. hindi po pwedeng gawing primary applicant ang wife nyo, just on the basis na registered nurse sya sa pinas..

correct me if im wrong.. but i think what @li_i_ren is trying to say is:
    kailangan muna mag ielts+bridging course + aphra registration = bago maging AU registered nurse si wife... and that will take time/money... pag naging registered na sya sa AU, thats the only time na pwde na syang maging primary applicant..

so if you are in a hurry, at qualified namn ang skill mo (analyst programmer), mas mabilis at mas makakamura na ikaw ang maging primary...

please comment kung mali ang intindi ko..

Sep 24, 2011 - IELTS (L-8 R-8 W-8 S-7.5 : OBS-8)
    Jan 04, 2012 - EA application submitted | Feb 23, 2012 - EA assessment result (IE ANZSCO 233511)
    May 8, 2012 - Lodged GSM 175 online application | June 4, 2012 - CO Allocated
    June 22, 2012 - Medicals Finalized | Aug 30, 2012 - PCCs Completed (PH, UAE, USA)
    Sep 3, 2012 - Visa Granted (IED Jun 11, 2013) Thank You Lord!
    Oct 16-28, 2012 - Initial Entry Completed - Sydney
    July 28, 2013 - Final move to Perth
    Sep 9, 2013 - Started work with the same company i worked for in UAE/USA
    Oct 28, 2013 - Moved to another company.. ;)

Thanks to con and michelle from nurse2nz.forumotion.com for this guide :

Please use this as your guide..

***AHPRA is the Regulating Board of Health Care Professionals here in Australia (Australian counterpart of PRC in Philippines)

1. Fill up the FORM (download then print)
    (Application for general registration (graduated or trained overseas) as a Registered Nurse, Enrolled Nurse or Midwife)

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Forms.aspx

2. Procure all the necessary documents and have it certified in notary public or to a lawyer.
    ***use the checklist at the back of the form as your guide on the documents you need..

Basically you need certified copies of the following:
    1. Passport
    2. PRC License
    3. Transcript and diploma
    4. Board certificate
    5. Certificate of good standing (request from prc original and have it sent to ahpra)
    6. Evidence of your secondary education to the requisite level, taught and assessed in english or ielts result (request original to be sent to ahpra)
    7. Certificates of employment
    8. Cv (original)

***Details of the documents required are clearly defined in each part of the form, so read carefully.. and use the links referred to if you need more information..

3. Send the application form along with the attachments and the fees to AHPRA address.. Register at the Victoria office, kasi andito ko para magkakasama tayo.. but if you want a cheaper institution, send your application to Perth, WA.

Victoria
    Postal Address
    AHPRA
    G.P.O. Box 9958
    Melbourne VIC 3001

Western Australia
    Postal Address
    AHPRA
    G.P.O. Box 9958
    Perth WA 6001

Office Location
    Level 1, 541 Hay Street
    Subiaco WA 6008

Fees:
    Application fee: AU$115
    Registration fee: AU$115
    Assessment fee: AU$220
    total AU$450

the fees might have changed na po..so please visit the site. this was around 2011 pa ata na fees.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Nurse-Fees.aspx

*** AS OF January 26, 2011, EXCHAGE RATE FOR PHP TO AUS IS $43.93 TO $1.00
    Pay through bank order addressed to Australian Health Practitioner
    Regulation Agency and attach check along with the application form and your certified documents..

***AHPRA will notify you receipt of your documents thru your email.. If they require more documents they will let you know.. so check regularly your emails..

3. If your application has been approved, AHPRA will send you a letter of Eligibility to do the Bridging Program. You will use this letter to enroll in a School offering Bridging Courses.
    and once you have finished the bridging course..the bridging/ conversion school will send your pass papers to APHRA so you can received your australian nursing license.

i posted somewhere po links for the different BP schools in oz.. pakihanap na lang po. each school has different procedures.. so please email them:)

good luck!
    @li_i_ren: Thanks. So dalawang documents pala ang makukuha mo from APHRA.
    First is the certification of eligibity to take the BP, and last is the Oz nursing license.
    Salamat po sa very helpful information! :D

10&13 Oct 2012 - IELTS
    3 Aug 2015 - ITA

@fullmetal_nell opionion lang eto fullmental BUT whoever has the best opportunity to work here full time and who's degree is already recognized without having to get a bridging/ assessment.. should be the principal applicant.

kasi diba we pick sino dapat principal applicant based on how likely they will get employment right away and who will support the family.. who makes the money.

ang visa application is still all about the money guys.. who makes the money. who makes the most of it.

hope that clarifies it better. good luck!
  • amedinaamedina Sydney
    @li_i_ren: thanks for the info! I'll tell this to my lola. Do you know a BP university near newcastle? sana meron. Thanksss! :)

• theflyingrntheflyingrn Riyadh
    @li_i_ren: hi again! I would just like to ask po, if by chance I would like to take a bridging program, can i bring hubby with me and he can apply for jobs po? Any meager jobs? Thanks!
    @theflyingrn depende po on what visa you and hubby will get po. saying that sa student visa mismo you can work naman part time.. pero don't know what kind of visa hubby should get. pasensya...i'm still just getting my head around all these visa types..kasi 457 po kami as family so im not familiar with the other types.