Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Canberra bound by 1st week of November: needing help,insights,suggestions

bambinabambina AucklandPosts: 30Member
edited September 2012 in Family Matters
Hi everyone.My family (six of us) is relocating to Monash,Canberra by first week of November.We are in need of temporary accommodation,maybe for 2 weeks max,while looking for a permanent or long term rent around Monash (Canberra).We are flying to sydney as no direct flight to canberra.We are seriously thinking of taking the train from sydney to canberra (with two pre-teens ,a baby under 2 months old by that time and one cheeky toddler).i'd appreciate if anyone can share suggestions/opinion/or help...

as we are new to this area,i'd love to meet or speak with fellow pinoys..i have a few questions here and hoping someone can fill in with honest opinions or suggestions..thank you..

1) is train a good & reasonable option?it seems we can save if we take the train,probably $200...
2) do u know of anyone who can rent out some space for temporary accomodation for us?a week or two will be great..any suggestions?
3)is it cold season by novembr or summertime?
4)anyone with friends or someone u know around monash,canberra?i'd like to talk to someone for some insights ie school,good suburbs for rent ,place to buy second hand furnitres etc.

you may also email me at [email protected]

we are having mixed emotions relocating to canberra but I'm sure the lovely place and amazing people will be worth all the try.

gracias.thank you.

Comments

• aldousnowaldousnow Sydney
    masasagot ko lang e yung number 3. :P
    November is the last month of spring kasi start ng summer is december.
    so painit na yan.

Skilled – Family Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
    Nominated Occupation : Developer Programmer (261312)
    02/28/2011 - ACS Finalized the Case (261312, PIM3, Group A)
    03/07/2011 - IELTS Result Received L- 6.5, R-7.0, W-6.0, S-7.0, Overall Band Score-6.5 (BC)
    03/13/2011 - Lodged Visa Application (Online)
    11/09/2011 - CO Allocation
    12/02/2011 - Medicals Finalised
    12/02/2011 - FINISH LINE!! (Visa Grant)
    03/23/2012 - My first day @Melbourne
    04/14/2012 - Started looking for a .Net Developer job
    06/04/2012 - And finally got one! :)

• tita_vechtita_vech Mandaluyong
    POV ko sa number 1, mag plane na lang kayo if $200 lang difference.

Pagod na kasi kayo from long flight then 5 hours pang train to Canberra, ang hirap non kasi daming bagahe and kids pa.

From Sydney Airport dapat punta pa kayong Central Station to catch the train, so additional time/pagod/pasahe ($60?) din yun. Worth talaga mag plane na lang kayo, if via Qantas may snack pa.

O ayan, nababawasan na ang $200 difference. And yung less pagod at tension pa - priceless!

If you can, sana isang booking lang gawin mo for both flights para walang problema pag may delay at di nyo ma catch yung flight to Canberra.

Enjoy your new life in Canberra, alam ko dami din pinoy don.
  • TotoyOZresidentTotoyOZresident Posts: 1,335Member, Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Hi everyone.My family (six of us) is relocating to Monash,Canberra by first week of November.We are in need of temporary accommodation,maybe for 2 weeks max,while looking for a permanent or long term rent around Monash (Canberra).We are flying to sydney as no direct flight to canberra.We are seriously thinking of taking the train from sydney to canberra (with two pre-teens ,a baby under 2 months old by that time and one cheeky toddler).i'd appreciate if anyone can share suggestions/opinion/or help...

as we are new to this area,i'd love to meet or speak with fellow pinoys..i have a few questions here and hoping someone can fill in with honest opinions or suggestions..thank you..

1) is train a good & reasonable option?it seems we can save if we take the train,probably $200...

The best is mag plane na lang kayu at para hindi hirap sa baggage mag quantas kau kasi kahit transfer flight kau di nyo na kailangan dalhin ulit bagahe nyo.

2) do u know of anyone who can rent out some space for temporary accomodation for us?a week or two will be great..any suggestions?

The best is search in www.allhomes.com.au. ang pinaka mababa ata 350 per week 2 or 3 bedroom search na lang

3)is it cold season by novembr or summertime?

Spring pa rin in November. December nman ang start ng Summer. Di naman na maginaw pag november mahangin lang.

4)anyone with friends or someone u know around monash,canberra?i'd like to talk to someone for some insights ie school,good suburbs for rent ,place to buy second hand furnitres etc.

Marami naman Filipino dito and they are friendly. May mabibili naman dito na mga used furnitures kailangn mo lang talaga ng may sasakyan para makapunta dun.

you may also email me at [email protected]

we are having mixed emotions relocating to canberra but I'm sure the lovely place and amazing people will be worth all the try.

Goodluck cheers

gracias.thank you.

Quotes:
    "Wise men learn from their mistakes, but wiser men learn from the mistakes of others."
    'Success is when you finished what you have started."

If you’re looking for Church in Canberra ACT Australia and you want to fellowship with Christian Filipino Australian.
    Come and join us in Jesus Is Lord Church Canberra service every Sunday at 10:30AM to 12:30PM
    Where: 53 Georgina Crescent, Kaleen ACT 2617
    (Back of Kaleen Shopping Centre)
    For more information, please PM me or visit

http://jilcanberra.org.au

"To God be the glory"

• bambinabambina Auckland
    thank you for the reply..hope u dont mind if i ask whereabouts in canberra u live?sa monash kame and we're looking to rent somehwere in wanniasa kc malapit sa schools for kids (according to our google search)..wishing i could talk to someone for more info/help as we have barely 2 months left to organise so many things...we will re-think about the train plans@TotoyOZresident
    hi thank you for the reply...mga $600- 800 pala diffrence ,not $ 200..but we might re-consider our train plans..nasa canberra ka rin ba?i hope i can talk to someone or meet some pinoys in monash...@tita_vech
    thank you for the reply..so spring time na,summertime by yearend..sounds good at least hinde super lamig..nasa canberra ka rin ba?so many things to do and so little time left..i hope we can meet pinoys in monash@aldousnow
  • tita_vechtita_vech Mandaluyong
    @bambina - no, I'm not based in Canberra.

117aud Sydney to Canberra sa Virgin Aust. They have Happy Hour from 2-4pm M-F, baka maka timing ka nang sale.

Sana may sale alert ka rin sa Qantas. Smaller planes sila so medyo bumpy ride, not sure kung anong plane nang Virgin.

Domestic flts lang sa Canberra, so dapat mag transfer kayo nang terminal from Sydney Int'l. May coach naman, just make sure alam nyo which domestic terminal to go to kasi hiwalay Qantas sa Virgin.

Ang mga locals at pinoy pag nag-upgrade nang gamit they give away yung mga luma, sana maka timing ka. I'm sure may mga pinoy na tutulong sayo mag settle doon.
  • jaynivejaynive Mandaluyong
    hi.i hope makatulong ako.sa experience ko ok din ang train kasi ang kunti lang ng difference sa waiting time.you have to be early in the airport for your domestic flight so aabotin ka rin ng 2 to 3 hours sa before you arrive in canberra tapos wala ka pang babayarang excess baggage sa train.4 and a half hours ang train from sydney to canberra mas mora pa.you can also sleep in the train kasi comfortable naman at pwede ka pang magdala ng pagkain pero may nabibili din sa train.kaya lang you have kids so depende rin sa inyo baka nga mapapagod na sila.sa canberra ang husband ko.i was there june-august 2012 to visit my husband.3 times na ako nakapunta dun at ngayon i am waiting for my partner/spouse visa.i was there summer 2010 at ang ginaw pa rin pero this summer daw mainit na.
    thank you .. but we are more inclined to go train dahil makakatipid..sana we can meet pinoys there..@tita_vech
    thanks for the comment..tama,it takes about 4-4 1/2 hours ride from sydney to canberra by train and we're just keeping fingers crossed that the kids will not mind the long travel,again...hoping that ur visa will come through soonest.@jaynive
  • multitaskingmultitasking North Ryde
    HI Bambina...i stayed in Canberra for 14 months before on a 457 visa.. maganda sya.. pero dont expect it to be as busy as Sydney and Melbourne.. may joke nga doon na mas marami ang Kangaroo sa Canberra kesa sa tao.. which is not true.. :-) .. the environment is very good to raise a family.. noong nag work ako doon.. 15 mins lang nasa apartment na ako... ang dami ding pinoy doon... i was there alone pero di ako na bored.. daming activities ng pinoy especially kung sportsminded kayo.. there's badminton, basketball league na pinoy ang nagpapatakbo...

good luck on your trip.. im pretty sure that you'll love the place...

May 2012 - Revalidated ACS Application (System Analyst)
    9/1/2012 - Taken My 3rd IELTS Exam
    9/14/2012 - Got IELTS results: L=8,R=8.5,W=7,S=7 .. :-) .. pag may tiyaga..may nilaga
    9/15/2012 - Updated my EOI = 65 points (visa 190);60 (VISA 189)
    10/10/2012 - Australia Federal Police Clearance Submitted Online
    10/11/2012 - FBI Clearance Sent Through DHL
    10/22/2012 - Received scan copy of AFP clearance from my friend in Melbourne
    11/15/2012 - Received Invitation for 189 (about 2 months after 60 pts effectivity)
    11/24/2012 - 189 VISA Lodged
    11/29/2012 - DIAC Ack :-)
    12/4/2012 - Received FBI clearance. Friend in US sent scanned copy
    12/17/2012 - CO Assigned
    04/17/2013 Visa 189 Granted.. Thank you Lord...
    08/09/2013 - Flight to Sydney through PAL
    08/10/2013 - Touchdown Sydney
    08/12/2013 - Start of Job Hunt in Australia
    08/26/2013 - First day of work... THANK YOU LORD...
    07/16/2015 - Transferred to my second job/company
    Pray, Hope AND Don't Worry - Padre Pio

thank you ..i have 4 kids and i dont mind living in a less metropolitan city..we like a laidback lifestyle...can't wait to be in canberra!
    @multitasking
    thank you ..i have 4 kids and i dont mind living in a less metropolitan city..we like a laidback lifestyle...can't wait to be in canberra!
    @multitasking
    di naman malungkot basta may sasakyan kayo para maka punta kung saan saan.

Quotes:
    "Wise men learn from their mistakes, but wiser men learn from the mistakes of others."

If you’re looking for Church in Canberra ACT Australia and you want to fellowship with Christian Filipino Australian.
    Come and join us in Jesus Is Lord Church Canberra service every Sunday at 10:30AM to 12:30PM

"To God be the glory"

• LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    totoo bang wala raw social (night) life sa Canberra? Boring daw hehe
    ok lang muna kasi expensive din if palaging lakwatsa sa mga malls etc...as long as me park,ok na =)@LokiJr
    hi everyone..finally arrived Canberra via sydney..took the train and had the longest & difficult journey while in sydney Central station...canberra is beautiful and quiet..but we are missing home !!filipino shops here?meron bang naglelechon dito?where are the filipinos ?thanks
    edited October 2012
    hi everyone..finally arrived Canberra via sydney..took the train and had the longest & difficult journey while in sydney Central station...canberra is beautiful and quiet..but we are missing home !!filipino shops here?meron bang naglelechon dito?where are the filipinos ?thanks
    hi bambina may filo restaurant kabubukas nung linggo nasa weston creek

http://www.facebook.com/KusinaRestaurant

kung gusto mo ng filo store mayrun sa fsyhwick market.

May naglelechon dito sa canberra kung halimbawa birthday mo puede ka magpa luto ng lechon. tanung tanung ka lang sa mga pinoy dito sa canberra.

kailangan mo ng sasakyan sa canberra para makapunta kung saan mo gusto dito.

welcome aboard...

GOD bless

Quotes:

"To God be the glory"

• eytelleneeytellene Brisbane
    Parang probinsya ang canberra :)
    hi everyone : loving Canberra actually..but the weather is extremely hot at times ...thanbks for the info re: filo resto..still carless so a big struggle going around..but i heard about fyshwick.One day,will do that!
    edited January 2013
    hi everyone : loving Canberra actually..but the weather is extremely hot at times ...thanbks for the info re: filo resto..still carless so a big struggle going around..but i heard about fyshwick.One day,will do that!
    Hi, yeah but minsan lang nman yun. Ang kagandahan sa Canberra no heavy traffic. Good for family to live. If you have car mas appreciate mo ang lugar ng Canberra kasi makakapunta ka kung saan at puede ka dumating on the right time. Marami din filipino community. Staka ang Canberra is continues improving in housing and infrastructure. Theres proposal na magkaroon ng bullet train from canberra to Sydney 45 mnutes travel and canberra to melbourne. Hopefully matuloy. Goodluck

Quotes:

"To God be the glory"

• carboycarboy Braddon
    @bambina kamusta naman ang work/life sa canberra being a new migrant? Curios as I am headed to ACT also, fingers crossed :)