Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Melbourne or Brisbane?

dee0829dee0829 MelbyPosts: 278Member
For Filipinos who have stayed in Melbourne or Brisbane, which one is better work wise and the environment in general. Can someone enlighten me about the pros and cons of your experiences during your stay.

We are in the stage of looking for our place to settle but we are still torn if we want to go to Melbourne because of the weather or Brisbane could be too sweltering for us as well as susceptible to calamities.

Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Davidx23Davidx23 Brisbane
    I can give you some pros and cons in living in Brissy.
    Pro: Better affordability/availability of property due to current surplus; warmer - as to the climate; brighter - more sunshine, but I do prefer gloomy weather conditions of Melb; smaller city - less market competition/job competition (con is less industry and job availability); relax atmosphere/laid back/family oriented; more trees/parks.

Con: Konti lang mga resto compared to Melb so what do you do instead of eating, mag exercise na lang sa dami ng gym at parks at swimming pools sa south bank or council pools sa iba't ibang suburbs, yes I know eating is one of the few pleasures in life; Mas kaunti ang shopping district so online na lang, sadly you may not be spending too much or paying additional gst so you aren't helping the economy, tsk; Melb trains/trams aren't affected by light rain like here in Brissy, but hey at least they don't explode/caught in flames like in Melb; Annoying people, they'll greet you g'day, how are you, and smile, poker face is the Melburnian's natural look.

Sorry, nag joke lng sa Melb. Well bottom line is Melb - big city, faster paced, urban living; Brissy - smaller city, laid back, family oriented. Question is which one is you gimik oriented or laid back.
    Also just to correct 'calamity' not 'calamities' - you're referring to Yasi of the 2011 flood, Debbie doesn't count, well if you count no work/no classes (due to heavy rain) as a calamity then probably ave. once a year, I think. Tsk no work/no classes, sipping coffee and binging netflix, how unproductive.
  • dee0829dee0829 Melby
    edited September 2017
    I was thinking that there might be more work for us in Melbourne than in Brisbane.
    True bigger city entails more work, more competition, more stress. Both pros and cons are increased in bigger cities. You just need to focus your attention on backstabbers, ofc politics, discrimination and bullying coz it's difficult kung wla kang proper support.
  • dee0829dee0829 Melby
    @Davidx23 so are you happy in Brisbane?
  • vhoythoyvhoythoy Melbourne
    edited September 2017
    Hard to compare both. I stayed in Melbourne for 1 year and now in Toowoomba (1.5 hrs to Brisbane, been here more than 1 yr na) and nakakadalaw din ako madalas sa Brisbane and related places. Kung saan ka makahanap ng magandang work dun ka. Siguro kung sa ganda, medyo mas ok sa Melbourne. Pero may advantages din ang Brisbane given na marami syang malalapit na magandang places (Byron Bay, Goldcoast, Redcliffe, Sunshine coast, Hervey bay, etc.). Medyo magkaiba ng lifestyle ung dalawa, mas malapit ung brisbane sa Sydney ng lifestyle, pero mas relax sa Brissy. Kung saan ka magkakaroon ng pagkakataon na mas makaikot sa australia at makapag travel mas ok (example: good work with good pay and chances to go for annual leave/ travel). Malaki at malawak kasi ang Australia, maraming magagandang lugar na pwede mapuntahan.

ANZSCO 221214 - Internal Auditor
    19 Jan 13 - Academic IELTS Results - passed
    12 July 13 - Vetassess Assessment + Point Test Advice: Positive
    03 Nov 13 - Invitation Accepted 70 points
    19 Dec 13 - Lodged Visa 189
    07 Feb 14 - Visa Granted
    04 Aug 14 - Initial Entry Date requirement
    26 July 14 - Actual IED to Melbourne
    May 2015 - Big Move
    June 2015 - Got a permanent role in Melbourne
    Apr 2016 - Got a contract consultancy role in Melbourne
    May 2016 - Got permanent role and moved to Toowooba, Queensland

And now...... living the life that i have imagined

"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed" - Ansel Adams

Yes - mas focus ako sa life outside work - hobbies, workouts/healthy lifestyle, netflix (binge watching shows), travel, etc. Pero sa perspective ng isang taga-Syd, boring ang Brissy - maliit ang city mall; siguro nasa one third or one fourth ang mga resto sa Brissy harbour (Eagle St Pier) compared sa Syd Darling harbour; mas konti ang gimikan; etc.

Well, I think you can't go wrong with either choice. Mabilis ng mag-adapt pag nandito na.
  • czhaczha Brisbane
    I agree, you can't go wrong with 2 places, the only issue is saan madaming makitang industry for your field. Kung ok lang sayo ang weather sa Melbourne then go for it afterall it is the most livable city in the world for the past years. I have friends in Melbourne and the only issue for me is the weather pero the place is pretty many interesting places to see as with other states too.

March 2013 - IELTS
    November 2013 - Engineers Australia (electronics draftperson)
    February 2014 - State Sponsorship (QLD) EOI approval
    March 20, 2014 - Visa application (visa 190)
    April 2, 2014 - Medicals done
    April 4, 2014 - NBI filed
    May 15, 2014 - COC filed
    July 9, 2014 - CO assigned (asked for additional employment docs)
    July 23, 2014 - Visa Grant

• dee0829dee0829 Melby
    @czha Thanks! we have decided we will stay in Melbourne.
  • danyan2001usdanyan2001us Melbourne, Australia
    melbourne is an excellent place to stay...as per my personal experience here for 8 years

primary applicant- wife
    arrived melbourne- July 28, 2010

• dee0829dee0829 Melby
    @danyan2001us We are already here. just moved last friday. so far so good.
  • #17#17 singapore
    @dee0829 on your arrival sa melbourne nag.rent lng ba agad kyo ng matutuluyan?
    we're planning there also pro mg.initial entry muna kme sa sydney
  • dee0829dee0829 Melby
    @#17 hello, nagbook muna kami ng budget hotel then next day naginspect na kami agad. i thought we would struggle kasi 2 months wala kaming work ( we went for holidays kasi for 2 months) pero I think yung edge namin from other applicants is ready na kaming magoccupy. we were thinking about living just near cbd kasi mas malapit sa mga opportunities ( i think) so yun, medyo may kamahalan ang iba pero you have to stick with your budget and preferences and check it sa realestate.com.au
  • dee0829dee0829 Melby
    @#17 and may I add please na hindi ka pwedeng makarent if you haven't inspected the property.
  • dreamntheseadreamnthesea Gold Coast
    hi! same concern here.. we're a family of 3 na mag big move this july. initial plan namin is to stay with a relative in gold coast. pero last week I received a job offer to work in melbourne for 3months contract with possibility to extend. I like the job and seriously considering it. ang nag hold back lang samin ni hubby is how to know kung worth it yung offer thinking may 18month old baby kaming kasama. and pano nag adjust ang babies nyo from tropical to winter weather?

233411 Electronics Engineer (189||70pts)

Dec.13.2015 || IELTS ( L9 R7.5 W7 S8)
    Aug.20.2016 || Submitted CDR via Fast Track
    Sep.07.2016 || EA Assessor contact
    Oct.07.2016 || Sent addtl docs
    Oct.10.2016 || EA Assessor contact
    Oct.12.2016 || Sent hard copies
    Oct.27.2016 || Positive assessment from EA. Yay!
    Oct.30.2016 || Submitted EOI
    Nov.22.2016 || Received ITA
    Dec.07.2016 || Lodged Visa189. Uploaded docs except medical, deferred due to pregnancy
    Jan.04.2017 || CO contact- Form80, PCC, Medicals
    Jan.23.2017 || Submitted docs + Form 1022 to add newborn
    Mar.21.2017 || Uploaded baby's Passport
    Jun.12.2017 || CO contact. Added baby to application
    Jun.13.2017 || Baby's medical
    Jun.16.2017 || Baby's medical cleared
    Sep.14.2017 || Granted! TYL!!

• JC45JC45 France
    @Davidx23 Nice post thanks