Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

My IELTS self-preparation experience (Suggested materials and tutorial)

mandy_homandy_ho KoreaPosts: 3Member
edited May 2017 in IELTS, PTE and OET Topics
Hi friend,

I took IELTS test in January 2017 and got 7.0 Overall after 1.5 months of preparation at home, so I would like to share my study experience. Before my preparation, my level was only around 5.0. My learning experience is:

Websites I chose for my preparation:

For materials:
www.selfstudymaterials.com: This website provides highly selected materials and I did not have to waste time to find the best materials. They classify materials based on the level of learners: beginners & intermediate learners, advanced learners. Additionally, they also supply a variety of practice test books, so you won’t be afraid of insufficient materials for practicing prior to taking the real test.

They also provide effective strategies and tips for Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing. I found the Reading strategies they show very effective.

You could also visit their Facebook page.

For free lessons:
www.ieltsliz.com. The teacher is amazing and the way she handles IELTS questions is simple and easy to understand. In fact, she provides us with useful tips, lessons and information for students aiming score for band 6,7,8, and 9. Hence, for me, it’s crucial to visit her website and learn some essential techniques.

My selected booklist:

The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS: I initially kicked off my study strategy with the book. This book provides you with general guidance, tips and hints to tackle each section in IELTS test (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) and 10 standardized practical tests (8 tests for Academic Module and 2 for General one).

Cambridge IELTS Practice Test series: After done with The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS, my process was continued with the practice tests in Cambridge IELTS Practice Test series. Actually, I only worked with tests from Volume 8 to 11 (the latest version) as the test format in previous volumes were quite out-of-date.

IELTS Listening Recent Actual Test Vol 1,2,3: these listening tests were extracted from IELTS bank source; therefore, you are in all probability to take these tests in your real examinations. You can see the index to know the dates these tests were taken. Moreover, when practicing this book, you can evaluate at the nearest possibility how difficult the IELTS Listening Part is in the real exam, and what the top most common traps are. Another important point is that these real tests are a bit more tricky than the ones in the IELTS Cambridge books

IELTS Reading Recent Actual Test Vol 1,2,3,4: Some of these tests re-appeared in the real IELTS. Therefore, this IELTS reading book is one of the best resources to help you prepare for the Reading section of IELTS exam.Each book in IELTS Reading Actual Recent Test series has 6-8 reading tests. The last part of the book is the answer keys to help students easily track your results and polish up your reading skills.

Visuals Writing About Graphs, Tables And Diagrams: This book is a preparing for the IELTS ACADEMIC WRITING TASK 1. The author introduces step by step guide for self-study & the classroom with exercises and answer key.

Essay Writing for English Tests by Gabi Duigu is a preparing for the IELTS ACADEMIC WRITING TASK 2. Gabi Duigu introduces step by step guide for self-study & the classroom with exercises and answer key

High-scoring IELTS Writing Models Answers: This book contains selected IELTS actual tests and model essays from experienced teachers. You can learn may practical sentence structures and useful academic words to get 7+ in Writing.

Cambridge Grammar for IELTS provides complete coverage of the grammar needed for the IELTS test, and develops listening skills at the same time. It includes a wide range of IELTS tasks from the Academic and General Training Reading, Writing and Listening modules, and contains helpful grammar explanations and a grammar glossary.

THE COMPLETE SOLUTION FOR IELTS SPEAKING TEST: This book includes all strategies and techniques to help you reach high score in your IELTS speaking test.

Along with these materials, practicing writing and speaking is also a MUST as this will help you building you brainstorming, smoothly writing and timing skills.
I hope you will do well in your upcoming tests.

Comments

• Underwater_MercenaryUnderwater_Mercenary Singapore
    thank you very much madam! The website you have provided are very helpful.
  • mandy_homandy_ho Korea
    @Underwater_Mercenary You're welcome. I also used it to prepare for my IELTS test and I hope it will help you too :)
  • deerokdeerok Davao City
    Question what type of IELTS test did you take? Academic or General Training. Applying for student visa and eventually migrating to Aus. Thanks. This is so helpful.
  • deerokdeerok Davao City
  • simplygsimplyg Philippines
    @mandy_ho thank you so much for your tips. By the way, how many hours do you study? And is it in a daily basis? ☺
  • GracieeGraciee Philippines
    @mandy_ho hi! Ask lang po, how did u evaluate ur writing piece po? Kasi nag iisip ako mag review center or mag self study nlang. Thanks