Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

NEWBIE HERE. HELP ON VISA 489 / GETTING A JOB / STEP BY STEP

entoyskientoyski MandaluyongPosts: 6Member
Good day everyone,

Here's my current situation. I have an aunt living in Goulburn NSW who's about to get their PR approved (hopefully) by next year around June/July by 2016. My Aunt pm'd me about sponsorship and migrating/working in Australia. I suddenly have a hyperactive reaction about this plan because for once in my life I finally have a plan for my life. I got so excited and hyped up that I always stay late at night searching about working abroad and all those stuffs. I've done my research on visa's and all and finally landed on this helpful page.

To give you a background about my self. I'm a graduate of Biology major in Marine Biology since 2011. Mainly this type of education will land you on a job like research institutions or a teaching career. Unfortunately as we all know its hard to find a course-related job here in our country. So I worked as a call center agent for the last 4 and a half year trying to figure out what to do with my life. Then early this year I have finally decided to get back on track and work on my field which is a Marine Biologist. I applied in DENR and luckily got hired as Extension Officer but just for six months contract which will end this 30th of December.

To sum it up, my qualification would be;

* currently 27 years old
* Graduate of Biology(Marine Biology)
* 4 years work experience on Customer Service under different accounts
-British Telecom Account (billing officer) -phones
-eBay US and eBay Australia -phones, emails, chat
-Telstra Account (Billing Officer) - phones, emails
* Extension Officer
- for Mangrove Rehab Project
*PADI open water diver

My interest would be to work in my field most specially on aquaculture farms in Australia. If its not gonna happen then i'm willing to work any job that i'm qualified :p Currently i'm processing my passport so that I can apply via online ASAP just to try my luck before my Aunt's PR approval next year.

Question:
1. Is there even a chance for me getting a job related on my education?
2. My aunt said that visa 489 is the one that I should apply for. Is there any other type of visa that I can apply for aside from visa 489?
3. Is it gonna be passport-apply visa-look for work online? or passport-look for work online-apply visa? im confused about it :p
4. Looking at my credentials, I think i can get 60point on those Test, will I? what do you think? :p
5. I'm planning to take up short courses in TESDA by next year just to add up to my credentials. Thinking about Welding or Automotive courses. Is it gonna be helpful at all or a waste of time?
6. Can anyone please give me an idea about the cost/timeline for:
-Passport
-Visa Application
-IELTS
-SKILL SELECT assesment

Hopefully someone is kind enough to answer my dumb questions :p sorry guys I'm just a new AU dreamer ;) just trying my luck.

GODBLESS! :)

Comments

• entoyskientoyski Mandaluyong
    UP UP UP
  • se29mse29m Perth
    @entoyski

1. Yes, as per anzcosearch, open sya in South Australia which means you can get a state sponsorship under SA (Visa 489 or 190)
    2. Yes, there are different types of visas. 489 is classified into 2, state regional sponsorship and relative sponsored. May conditions ang 489 visa.. Basahin mo dito https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489- As for other visas, 189 is Skilled Independent, which means Direct PR, 190 is the same but with a State Sponsorship
    3. I am also confused with your analogy :)>-
    4. I think so. Check here: Points test >- https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-#tab-content-4
    5. I am not sure, I think no
    6. Passport, Phl passport? not sure, i think 4-6 months? check dfa's website
    Visa Application - from lodgement of visa application 3-6 months
    IELTS - depends, kung papasa agad at makuha yung desired score
    Skillselect Assessment? - Skills Assessment means ipapaassess mo yung skills and qualification mo sa assessing authority ng AU. after submission sa assessing authority, usually 10-12 weeks

The threads sa General Skilled Migration Category will be very helpful for you. Read it. Good luck

233211 Civil Engineer
    30/09/15 - VETASSESS Lodged - 133112 Project Builder
    09/10/15 - IELTS Results: L-7.5, R-7.0, W-6.0, S-7.5 OBS-7.0
    19/10/15 - PTE A Results: L-82, R-74, S-90, W-76 OAS-79
    26/11/15 - Obtained NBI Clearance
    09/12/15 - VETASSESS Results - NEGATIVE!!!
    12/01/16 - Submitted CDR to Engineers Australia
    22/01/16 - EA Positive Results - Bachelor's Degree with 4 years 8 months skilled employment
    22/01/16 - Lodged EOI 189 (60pts)
    03/02/16 - Received 189 ITA
    11/02/16 - Health Clearance Provided - No Action Required
    18/02/16 - Obtained SG CoC
    26/02/16 - Lodged 189 Visa
    15/03/16 - Direct Grant - IED 11/02/2017
    25/05/16 - Big Move Perth!
    16/06/16 - Started Casual Work
    11/07/16 - Permanent Full-time Work

Now for the Citizenship Journey

26/08/2019 - Applied and acknowledgement letter received
    27/09/2019 - Test Email Invite for 19/12/2019
    01/10/2019 - Actual Test/Interview Date
    01/10/2019 - Approval Date (received the approval letter from the post 11/10/2019)
    05/02/2020 - Ceremony Date (received the email 10/01/2020)

• IsyutIsyut Adelaide
    Question:
    1. Is there even a chance for me getting a job related on my education?
    -If you are referring to just applying a job and hoping a company will be kind enough to give you a sponsorship visa that is 457. IMHO, you have a very slim chance given you limited work experience on your field. Normally, these companies are required to look for a candidate first locally and only find overseas candidates in the event that they can’t find one here. And you must be super skilled in that area of expertise.
    2. My aunt said that visa 489 is the one that I should apply for. Is there any other type of visa that I can apply for aside from visa 489?
    These are the Skilled Migrant visas include
    189 PR Independent
    190 PR State Sponsorship required
    489 4-year Provisional visa

Selecting which type of visa is best suited for you will depend on an assessment of your skills and work experiences. Based on the above info you provided. It is unlikely that you will get a positive Skills assessment considering you only have 6 months of work experience in that field.

3. Is it gonna be passport-apply visa-look for work online? or passport-look for work online-apply visa? im confused about it
    I’m not sure what you are referring to about this 3rd question.
    4. Looking at my credentials, I think i can get 60point on those Test, will I? what do you think?
    For Skilled Migration you will be assessed based on the following:
    Age – If I am correct 27 is equal to 30points
    Degree – ? This will be based on your Skills Assessment result
    Work Experience - ? This will be based on your Skills Assessment result
    *Note: Degree and Work experience should be closely related. Your 6 months work experience is likely to get a negative result
    IELTS - ? This will be based on your IELTS test result

I suggest you go to www.border.gov.au and find the Skilled Migration Booklet and this can guide you.

5. I'm planning to take up short courses in TESDA by next year just to add up to my credentials. Thinking about Welding or Automotive courses. Is it gonna be helpful at all or a waste of time?
    Then again you will need a work experience to prove you are skilled.

6. Can anyone please give me an idea about the cost/timeline for:
    -Passport – no idea check your local DFA
    -Visa Application – as of writing it is around $3620 aud
    -IELTS – check prices at British Council or IDP. Mine that time was around $320sgd
    -SKILL SELECT assessment – Depending on your skills assessing body. I suggest you check who is the assessing body for your skills and go to their website I’m you can find the info there. Roughly, it is around 550-1000 Aud

3 Oct 2012 - ACS Positive Assessment, Associate Degree
    13 Oct 2012 - IELTS (IDP JB L-6.5,R-7.5,W-7.0,S-7.5)
    22 Apr 2013 - Submitted EOI Visa 489-60pts
    03 Sep 2013 - Applied SA SS for visa 489
    26 Sep 2013 - SA SS approved and Invitation to lodge received
    17 Oct 2013 - Lodged 489 Visa, Uploading docs
    17 Oct 2013 - NBI Fingerprinting appt
    25 Oct 2013 - SG COC appl
    02 Nov 2013 - Uploaded NBI Clearance
    12 Nov 2013 - CO allocated Adelaide GSM Team 6 (CO requested for my eMedical, Form 80, SG COC)
    13 Nov 2013 - Medical exam (Point Medical Paragaon SG)
    15 Nov 2013 - Collected and uploaded SG COC
    17 Nov 2013 - Uploaded Form 80 and 1022
    29 Nov 2013- Visa Granted IED 14/11/2014
    25 June 2014 - Arrived in Sydney
    1 July 2014 - Arrived in Adelaide

"GOD is good all the time" 

• EmaJoyEmaJoy Naga
    Hello Everyone!!!!

I just want to get information here if someone can help me please. Im a graduate of B.S Hospitality Management. I worked in restaurant, hotel, and my last job was in cruise ship for almost 6 years but now I stop working in a ship seeking for opportunity to work in land based particularly in Australia. I been in Australia many times while working on board and I am very much interested to live and work in Australia. I have also a husband other nationality we really want to live in Australia. Im kindly asking if someone can help me about the step by step procedure.

Many many thanks in advance. God bless you all!
  • downunder15downunder15 Posts: 137Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi folks! Does anyone has had been working and living somewhere in the Southern Inland under a 489 visa? If yes, is the job hunting difficult?

(partner) 60 points
    Lodged 489 provisional visa w/ de facto : Jan 2016
    CO Allocated (GSM Brisbane): Feb 2016
    PC/NBI Uploaded : Feb 2016
    Grant: April 2016

Lodged 887 PR - July 2018
    887 PR Granted - Direct Grant Sept 2019

Hi everyone.. im back.. and im just gonna update everything in my resume.. I give up on this Australian dream for a bit because back then I dont have that much experience on my field as Marine Biology.

thank you everyone for responding to this old post of mine.. so here i am now back at pursuing my australian dream..

details about me now
    Degree: BS Biology major in Marine Biology
    Sponsor relative address: ACT
    Work experience:
    3yrs plus call center experience
    2yrs and 3months in the field of Research(Environmental conservation/mgmt)
    took IELTS exam last june2017(disappointed)
    IELTS Result Average: 6.0
    Reading: 6.0
    Listening:7.0
    Speaking:6.5
    Writing:5.0

Skill assessment: Not yet

Questions:

1. On visa 489, I cant see my degree(marine biology) listed, but I can see Environmental Research Scientist and Environmental Scientist. Can i use one of these option to process my skill assesment(vitassess)?

2. Since there was a lot of changes, what other visa type now that I may qualify?

3. What is the process now in applying for visa 489? Do i need to submit an EOI first along with my EILTS results and my skill assesment result(vitassess) then wait for result?

4. Do i need to retake my EILTS, or Do I just submit it along with my skill assessment and just wait for them to tell me if i need to retake it?

5. stupid question, In submitting EOI, is there a part where i need to write like a formal letter to them informing them the reason why im applying for such visas? if there is, then can u send me link where i can see samples of it? hehe

thanks again for responding.. any info at this moment would help! thanks!

if youre willing to talk to me on my email, sent it to [email protected] thanks!
  • fgsfgs Cooper Basin
    entoyski said:

Hi everyone.. im back.. and im just gonna update everything in my resume.. I give up on this Australian dream for a bit because back then I dont have that much experience on my field as Marine Biology.

thank you everyone for responding to this old post of mine.. so here i am now back at pursuing my australian dream..

details about me now
    Degree: BS Biology major in Marine Biology
    Sponsor relative address: ACT
    Work experience:
    3yrs plus call center experience
    2yrs and 3months in the field of Research(Environmental conservation/mgmt)
    took IELTS exam last june2017(disappointed)
    IELTS Result Average: 6.0
    Reading: 6.0
    Listening:7.0
    Speaking:6.5
    Writing:5.0

Skill assessment: Not yet

Questions:

1. On visa 489, I cant see my degree(marine biology) listed, but I can see Environmental Research Scientist and Environmental Scientist. Can i use one of these option to process my skill assesment(vitassess)?

2. Since there was a lot of changes, what other visa type now that I may qualify?

3. What is the process now in applying for visa 489? Do i need to submit an EOI first along with my EILTS results and my skill assesment result(vitassess) then wait for result?

4. Do i need to retake my EILTS, or Do I just submit it along with my skill assessment and just wait for them to tell me if i need to retake it?

5. stupid question, In submitting EOI, is there a part where i need to write like a formal letter to them informing them the reason why im applying for such visas? if there is, then can u send me link where i can see samples of it? hehe

thanks again for responding.. any info at this moment would help! thanks!

if youre willing to tkalk to me on my email, sent it to [email protected] thanks!

With your current situation, still unlikely you meet the min 60 points to apply.
    Estimated Scores:
    1.Age(25-32):30 points
    2.Qualification(Bachelors Degree):15points( skills assessing body will determine if your qualification is deemed comparable with Australian standards...depends on classification of school where you obtained your degree, grades may also be a factor).
    3. Relevant Work experience( less than 3 years): 0 points
    4. English Ability: 0 points ( you must have at least competent english to apply- 6.0 or higher in all components of the test)- each nominated skill have its required minimum level of english
    5. State/Family sponsorship(visa 489): 10 points..Your skill should be listed on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List and your family sponsor should be in a designated area. Check the job description of the positions you mentioned in Q1 by searching ANZSCO code on the web to check if your current work experience is closely related. Sometimes, the job titles used in Au is different from what we use in Ph.

Total points is 55

Steps you need to follow:
    1. Check if your nominated occupation is on the list of occupations needed in Australia
    2. Estimate your score- should have at least 60 points to qualify
    3. Have your skills assessed by relevant assessing body
    4. Take English test- minimum competent english(6 or higher in all subtests): Note that eash skill have its minimum english requirement
    5. Submit EOI...you can retake english test and update the results in you eoi before an invitation to apply is issued
    6. Apply for state sponsorship if required..for family sponsorship, i think your sponsoring family member will only need to provide the necessary forms and include in you eoi submission. Family sponsorship-489 visa has limited slots issued every fortnight, so expect a longer waiting time before you are invited to apply.
    7. If invited to apply, Apply visa through you immi account....this is the time where you need to upload all the documents needed to support your application. The english test result should be the one you declared in your eoi not any other results you have after the eoi has been issued.
    8 Wait for Approval

hey FGS, your comment is very much appreciated. I will follow what you suggest and hope for the best. thank you!! ^_^