Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Filipino Teachers in Australia

Comments

• pc3pc3 Perth
    @sunflower hi sunflower.. can i clarify my concern similar to this thread. I am studying towards an ECE degree which is ACEQA approved in AU but my bachelor's degree is a non-teaching degree from PH and I don't have any work exp. as a teacher. After I finsih my course can I apply directly for an assessment for migration to apply for a visa 189 even if I do not have any work exp and I have a non-teaching bachelor's?This is also considering if I get 60 points or more to lodge. Thanks

SVP 573 (Masters Degree in Proj Mgmt) ECU Perth
    2015 Timeline:
    October 10 - Inquiry at IDP (Cebu)
    October 10-22 - Self review IELTS
    October 23 - Submitted application form and reqts. to IDP
    except IELTS
    October 24 - IELTS Exams
    November 6 - IELTS RESULTS (PASSED)
    November 12 - Submitted IELTS results to IDP
    November 16-25 - Waiting for offer letter from ECU through IDP
    -Follow up IDP (No feedback from ECU)
    -I was told by my counselor 3-4 times that
    application was sent and have to wait for ECU.
    -Checked ECU online tracker and application
    shows "no records"
    Nov 23 - Medicals at NHSI Cebu
    Nov 25 - Looked for a new IDP counselor. Counselor was away.
    Nov 26 - Complained to a different IDP counselor & found out
    my application was not yet submitted to university by
    my previous counselor.
    Nov 27 - I called AMS and submitted a new application.
    - Received acknowledgement email from ECU.
    Nov 30 - Long distance call from ECU Representative confirming my final agency of choice (IDP or AMS)
    Dec 1 - Nominated AMS and AMS emailed ECU.
    - Checked ECU online tracker and found my name on their
    records (YEY)
    - NHSI Medical results uploaded.
    Dec 7 - Received Offer Letter
    Dec 8 - Paid tuition fee and OSHC
    Dec 11 - Receive COE from Univ
    Dec 14 - Visa Reqts forwarded to AMS
    Dec 19 - 2GO scheduled pick up of visa application
    Dec 22 - Acknowledgment fro AU Embassy & Visa Lodge
    Jan 11 - VISA GRANT!

THANK YOU LORD! PIT SENYOR!

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9“Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? 10“Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!"

• davaowandererdavaowanderer Davao
    Hi Filipino teachers here, can i confirm is University Lecturer still in the lists? I know University Tutor not anymore. Thanks sa magrereply.
  • sunflowersunflower Brisbane
    pc3 said:

@sunflower hi sunflower.. can i clarify my concern similar to this thread. I am studying towards an ECE degree which is ACEQA approved in AU but my bachelor's degree is a non-teaching degree from PH and I don't have any work exp. as a teacher. After I finsih my course can I apply directly for an assessment for migration to apply for a visa 189 even if I do not have any work exp and I have a non-teaching bachelor's?This is also considering if I get 60 points or more to lodge. Thanks

Hello! Yes, as long as you have 60 points, you wouldn't need the work experience. Just ensure that you'll be able to satisfy the 45-day supervised teaching practice requirement by AITSL.

EARLY CHILDHOOD (PRE-PRIMARY SCHOOL) TEACHER (ANZSCO 241111)

11/Apr/15: IELTS-IDP AU (L: 8.5, R: 8.5, W: 7.5, S: 8.0)
    14/May/15: Lodged AITSL Application
    14/Jul/15: Positive Assessment from AITSL
    24/Jul/15: Submitted EOI (60 pts.)
    6/Sep/15: Received ITA
    19/Sep/15: Lodged Visa 189
    16/Oct/15: Lodged documents for Teacher Registration
    27/Oct/15: CO Allocated (Team Adelaide)
    10/Dec/15: Visa Grant :)
    12/Feb/16: Became a Registered Teacher in QLD
    5/Jun/16: Big Move to Oz!
    11/Jun/16: Hired as a Kindergarten Teacher

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. It's what the sunflowers do." -Helen Keller

• sunflowersunflower Brisbane

Hi Filipino teachers here, can i confirm is University Lecturer still in the lists? I know University Tutor not anymore. Thanks sa magrereply.

Hello, the list can be found here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

EARLY CHILDHOOD (PRE-PRIMARY SCHOOL) TEACHER (ANZSCO 241111)

11/Apr/15: IELTS-IDP AU (L: 8.5, R: 8.5, W: 7.5, S: 8.0)
    14/May/15: Lodged AITSL Application
    14/Jul/15: Positive Assessment from AITSL
    24/Jul/15: Submitted EOI (60 pts.)
    6/Sep/15: Received ITA
    19/Sep/15: Lodged Visa 189
    16/Oct/15: Lodged documents for Teacher Registration
    27/Oct/15: CO Allocated (Team Adelaide)
    10/Dec/15: Visa Grant :)
    12/Feb/16: Became a Registered Teacher in QLD
    5/Jun/16: Big Move to Oz!
    11/Jun/16: Hired as a Kindergarten Teacher

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. It's what the sunflowers do." -Helen Keller

• davaowandererdavaowanderer Davao
    @sunflower thank you ;;)
  • SimplykrishSimplykrish Victoria
    @stellabby good luck!
  • mikelbeemikelbee South Carolina
    Hi guys. So glad to have found this forum that I previously thought was non-existent.
    I'm in the US now teaching, but had desired to go to Australia in the past. Lately, I have been reconsidering trying my chances again. I completed and passed my IELTS, I think about 5 years ago, and that was it for me. Never pushed forward. (Yup, expired IELTS!)

By the way, I am a primary/elementary teacher, with, let's say "several"
  • mikelbeemikelbee South Carolina
    edited July 2017
    (argh! I guess my initial post was cut in half!)
    ... years of experience. Working on my M.Ed. here and I have 3 months to go! Woot!

Anyway, my question is really for those who are already working as teachers there. One of the factors that made me reevaluate my job here is TAXES!!! Is it tolerable there or does it feel like you're working to pay for other people's wages, because of the monthly/bimonthly deductions? (I don't mean to be emotionally raw. Just really looking out for the best options for my small family.

ONE more thing, how likely do you think will I get a visa for applying as a primary teacher? I did look at filing as ECT as I do have several years working with first graders, but the letter from my university regarding supervised student teaching stated that it was with students across the age range of 9 to 13. Not sure if that ruined my chances as ECT entrant.

I genuinely appreciate all the input, you guys. I'm just trying to get all the information I could gather before making any prayerful considerations and/or financial investments in embarking on the lengthy process.
  • kutsarakutsara QC
    A question about the 4-year degree or equivalent. What I have is a AB Psychology degree and planning to take Masters in Early Childhood Educ (2 yr degree). If I finished the masters degree, will that suffice the requirement of 4-yr degree or equivalent? Thanks.
  • marieldt7marieldt7 Philippines
    Hello po? Ask lang po ako. Nangangailangan talaga ng tulong since wala akong kaalam-alam. Aunty ko gusto akong papuntahin sa Sydney since hindi siya pwedeng mag sponsor saakin, hindi ko alam anong gagawin. Elementary Teacher ako dito. Two months lang experience ko dahil naka sub po ako. Pahirapan kasi dito saamin makapasok as teacher. May passport po ako. Anong unang step para makakuha ng visa? Thanks po
    MileRap
  • wafugywafugy Australia
    @marieldt7 ano po bang pathway ang gusto mo? visa 190? 189? 500? unang step is to take IELTS.
  • ipinkipink North Ryde
    @sunflower on top of your degree did you have work experience in teaching though particularly early childhood?

Dec 8, 2012: IELTS
    Feb 4, 2013: EA CDR assessment submitted
    April 2013: Visited Sydney on Tourist Visa.. confirmed that I love it there :)
    May 20, 2013: EA work experience assessment submitted
    Jun 5, 2013: EA positive assessment
    Jun 7, 2013: EOI submitted
    Jun 17, 2013: Invited to apply for 189 visa
    Jun 17, 2013: Visa application submitted
    Jul 5, 2013: Medical submitted to DIAC
    Jul 17, 2013: NBI Clearance Uploaded
    Aug 2, 2013: CO Allocated-GSM Adelaide Team 6
    Aug 6, 2013: Visa Granted

Thank you Lord :)

• Au_VicAu_Vic Melbourne, Victoria
    @kutsara San ka magstudy ng masters of early childhood? if sa aussie ka mag-aaral most likely ksama sa course ung practice or OJT which is required ng AITSL for a successful assessment

Yes, your AB psychology plus masters will suffice the 4 yr degree requirement but be aware of the at least 1 yr initial teacher education requirement AND ung supervised teaching of at least 45 days to get a positive assessment

I'm Australian in paper but pinoy in form....Living in the most liveable city in the world...Melbourne! Oi, oi, oi!!!

@marieldt7

wala sa revised skills list ang primary (elementary teacher). below is the high level process:

1, you need to take english test and achieve a score required by AITSL
    2. skills assessment - submit skill assessment application to AITSL
    3. if you receive a positive skills assessment you can need to gather all documents
    4. submit an EOI
    5. once you receive the invitation to apply, lodge your visa
    6. wait for visa grant

AITSL website - https://www.aitsl.edu.au
    cjpsyche007

I'm Australian in paper but pinoy in form....Living in the most liveable city in the world...Melbourne! Oi, oi, oi!!!

• tinetine Manila
    edited October 2017
    Hi po sa inyo!Bago lang din po ako sa thread na to,but I've read some comments and I am still quite confused where to start. So far tama po ba yung understanding ko na ang pinaka kailangan iprepare first is yung IELTS and 45 days na supervised internship? I graduated with a degree of MASSCOMM and took up 18 units of Educ, then got my PRC license, ang problema po hndi na po ako ngpracticum kasi I got a job na po as a teacher and they didn't really ask me for that requirement. I guess my question is san po ba muna ako magsisimula? Kasi may nakita ako na EOI (Expression of Interest), do I need to fill out the form, do I need to pass it sa state where I want to apply? Or should I pass the IELTS first? I do want to apply as a teacher po pla obviously hehe! But I dont know I'm qualified sa Pre School or pwede po ba ako sa preschool? Salamat po!
  • caienricaienri Sydney
    @tine check the AITSL requirements first. You really need the 45 day practicum.
  • caienricaienri Sydney
    EOI lodged. Sana ma ITA na sa November.
    @tine hi, same situation kayo ng kapatid ko. she finished another course then nag 18 units educ, prc board passer din xa kaso hindi din xa ng practicum kc nung nagaaral xa ng educ units, teacher na xa. Mejo tricky kc may requirement ang AITSL (assessing authority for teachers in australia) about the 45 days practicum and at least 1 yr or equivalent of initial teacher education.

I called AITSL to enquire about the situation they told me that 45 day practicum is required so not sure kung panu masasatisfy ung requirement na yun kung hindi ka nagpracticum. kc worst case scenario, they can decline your skill assessment application kpg di sila satisfied na na-meet mo ung requirements.

to answer your question, first step is to get a positive skills assessment from AITSL based on your nominated occupation eto ung website nila..

https://www.aitsl.edu.au

may mga requirements na dapat mong i-submit for skills assessment (e.g. ielts, passport, etc.). dapat positive ung result ng skills assessment then saka ka maglodge ng EOI. Please note that while waiting for skills assessment, igather mo ung other docs na needed to support yung points na gusto mo iclaim sa EOI. Wag ka muna magsu-submit ng EOI hanggat di kumpleto ung documents mo including assessment kc once na ma-select ang EOI mo, you only have 60 days to lodge a visa application.

to answer your 2nd question, you do not need to register for any state to teach para mkapagpa assess ka. If you want to work as a pre-school teacher then need mo ng registration to teach sa state na yun. I am not sure but you may need to do a bridging study sa state to be able to register as a teacher, if early childhood ang line mo, maraming bridging courses na available at recognised ng state para makapg teach ka. Its best na makapunta ka muna dito sa oz then while here you can study a bridging course for early childhood.

also note that, if you nominate early childhood as your occupation for visa application purposes, you do not need to work in that occupation.

• tinetine Manila
    @caienri Thanks for the reply! =)
  • tinetine Manila
    @Au_Vic Hello! I am planning to go back to the school where I got my 18units and inquire about the practicum, hopefully I can still enroll for it. =)

BTW just one last question po, do you happen to know if I can apply to become a pre-school teacher even though my experience is in secondary school? I have no experience teaching in pre-school. I think if I would get a visa, I would prefer to teach in middle school, but I am under the impression that it would be easier to get approved if you apply as a pre-school teacher? Or I might just have the wrong impression? Kmusta po pla yung status ng kapatid ninyo? Did she/he still push through with her/his application?

I really appreciate your reply. Very informative po. Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I think it's more than just one. =) Thanks po!
    @tine did you check ung requirements ng AITSL for skills assessment? kc as far as I know may age range na required for practicum based sa gusto mo applyan like if early childhood dapat age 0 - 8 ata then naka-indicate sa letter ung age range.

ung requirement kc for early childhood ay at least 4yrs bachelors degree and

i) at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study of Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher initial teacher education (baka di mo ma-meet etong criteria na eto kc secondary yung sa yo)
    ii) completion of at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice with students across the Birth to 8 years age range in education programs prior to and in the early years of primary school.

Middle school is not in the list of professions for independent migration. Actually, parang rare kc dito sa australia ung mga teachers na filipino. Not sure but you might need to do some local studies in Australia and register first to teach.

Same kayo ng sister ko, secondary din xa pero mejo nag-aalangan kc kame na i-proceed ung secondary kc di xa nagpracticum bka kc di umubra sa AITSL at di xa makakuha ng positive assessment.

Yung option for her is to come here and study, post graduate in early childhood education ung plano nyang kunin na course, 1 yr yun and may 60 days na practicum na kasama. Sobrang mahal nga lng ng international student fee pero wala na kasing way na iba pa. Pahirap na ng pahirap ung pagpunta dito plus hinahabol din nmn ung age nya kc mejo may edad na xa so wala na kame time na pwedeng i-waste. I will sponsor her to get additional points

Hindi nya priority na magteach dito after ma-approve ung visa nya if ever.

• kutsarakutsara QC
    @Au_Vic thank you for replying.

Last option ko mag aral dun. Mas makakamura kasi ako dito. Sorry, di ko masyado magets yung initial teacher education, I mean if schools here have that. Kasi supervised teaching meron nun, which is peacticum. May I be enlightened on the initial teacher ed part? Super thank you.
  • tinetine Manila
    @Au_Vic Thanks for your help. =) I will try to see what I can do. I am kinda discouraged b'coz I don't have the Early Childhood educ background...prang sis ko din sa NZ naman nagaral din siya ulet ng 1-2 years ata yun before she was able to get a job. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to study kasi nga expensive siya. Thanks again, you are such a big help. I hope your sis will be able to successfully get to the AU. =) God Bless!
  • OzlazOzlaz Melbourne
    Hi, question po, impossible po ba sa secondary teacher na makapag apply? Kasi parang puro early education ang nakikita ko.. salamat po

261311 - Analyst Programmer

2016 - IELTS Failed W6.5
    11.11.2016 - PTE-Acad Failed(S58)
    02.01.2017 - PTE-Acad Passed!! Thank you Lord!!! - superior
    02.07.2017 - Submitted ACS assessment
    02.15.2017 - Got positive assessment.Thank you Lord!!!
    02.15.2017 - Lodged EOI 189 {70pts}
    03.01.2017 - ITA received
    03.31.2017 - Medical at Nationwide
    04.10.2017 - Medical Cleared
    04.11.2017 - Sg coc e-appeal approved
    04.19.2017 - NBI clearance! (Hit!)
    04.20.2017 - lodged 189
    04.21.2017 - frontloaded all docs except nbi and sg coc
    05.29.2017 - CO contact - additional payslips and form 815
    05.31.2017 - uploaded docs

11 Sept 17 - Grant! Thank you Lord :)

@kutsara actually di ko din sure ung meaning ng initial teacher education pero sa hula ko cguro yun ung fundamentals ng pagiging teacher and specific cguro yun sa level ng tuturuan mo like if early childhood may specific na subjects na dapat cguro napag-aralan mo. allowed ng AITSL na any four year course ang ntapos (not necessarily bs education) pero dapat may initial teacher qualification na element.

Kc same sa pinas, dba kht any four year course pwde magturo pero not sure kung required ung 18 units education at kung ung 18 units ba na yun e specific sa level ng tuturuan mo like elementary or secondary or general. Unlike kapag ang ntapos mo sa pinas ay BEED or BSED kasama sa curriculum ung teaching fundamentals kc education ung course mo.

yung mga teachers dito na naging successful bka mas ma-explain nila ng maigi.

@Ozlaz its not impossible for secondary school teacher as long as ma-meet mo ung assessment requirements ng AITSL. Bihira kc yung teacher na pathway to migrate sa australia

@tine thanks. sana nga maging successful ung sis ko. yeah, kung may ibang way for you to come here thats good but if you dont have a lot option then think twice kasi before mahuli ang lahat kc immigration rules are changing and will continue to change pa in the future. Pa konti na ng pa-konti ang occupation sa list

• OzlazOzlaz Melbourne
    @Au_Vic ano po dapat ang pathway?

261311 - Analyst Programmer

2016 - IELTS Failed W6.5
    11.11.2016 - PTE-Acad Failed(S58)
    02.01.2017 - PTE-Acad Passed!! Thank you Lord!!! - superior
    02.07.2017 - Submitted ACS assessment
    02.15.2017 - Got positive assessment.Thank you Lord!!!
    02.15.2017 - Lodged EOI 189 {70pts}
    03.01.2017 - ITA received
    03.31.2017 - Medical at Nationwide
    04.10.2017 - Medical Cleared
    04.11.2017 - Sg coc e-appeal approved
    04.19.2017 - NBI clearance! (Hit!)
    04.20.2017 - lodged 189
    04.21.2017 - frontloaded all docs except nbi and sg coc
    05.29.2017 - CO contact - additional payslips and form 815
    05.31.2017 - uploaded docs

11 Sept 17 - Grant! Thank you Lord :)

• CeleanaCeleana Philippines
    edited November 2017
    As far as I know, the ITE (initial teacher education) is the course that is directly related to teaching, like graduate diploma, bachelors degree, masters or phd with a specialization like early childhood, elementary education, secondary ed with majors, etc.

Like in my case, i am planning to have my qualifications assessed by AITSL as an early childhood educator and I need to finish my Masters in ECE for me to suffice their major requirement. Hindi raw magiging positive yung assessment kapag yung bachelors degree ko lang.. I finished Bachelor of Elementary Education and I have 45 days supervised teaching practice for ages 5-7 years old, but due to my bachelors degree, i was informed (by my would be agent) that my qualifications might be assessed as primary teacher,which is not in SOL.

I think oz and nz are very strict in assessing the qualifications for teachers. If you want to be an ece teacher, it is better to study it in oz. Or get a bachelors or masters degree in early childhood education. :)
    @Celeana i agree with you kc wala sa SOL ang primary teacher pero kung meron I think pasok ung Bachelor in Elem. Educ.

Since na early childhood ang gusto mo need mo mag-aral specifically for early childhood. Ganu katagal yung Masters mo? 2 years ba yan and may at least 45 days practicum na component yung masters?

Mejo magulo kc ung sitwasyon ng sis ko e. Hindi kc xa education major, graduate xa ng 4yr course pero nag-aral xa ng 18units na education and licensed teacher xa as secondary. Kaso ung practicum part di nya ginawa kc teacher na xa nung time nag aaral xa ng 18units. Worry namin is baka hindi maging positive ung assessment nya dahil sa practicum part plus ung initial teacher education bka di nya ma-satisfy ung requirements ng AITSL.

I have noticed na mejo mahigpit ang AITSL kaya ung option nya is to come here and study ng post grad in early childhood dito 1 year yun may 60days na practicum component. I think by doing that masasatisfy nya ung 4yrs bachelors degree with at least 1 yr initial teacher education for early childhood.

Mejo may edad na kc xa kaya wala na time to study ng matagal pa kaya ung option na dito xa magaral for 1yr ang best way sa sitwasyon nya. She does not want to teach here, she just want to use that path to get a PR.