Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Non nursing graduate thinking of studying nursing in oz

mufasaamufasaa talisayPosts: 6Member
I finished a degree in English in Philippines but my first course in college is nursing but only finished 2 years of it. I am planning on getting a student visa but I wanted to finish my nursing in Aust instead but an education agent told me that its possible I can be on a student visa but the course will be pre elem education but possibility I can shift to the schools diploma of nursing...I am seeking for advise on the appropriate course I can take that is still related to nursing. I am still weighing my options. Thank you.

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    If I may ask, what made you decide to shift to an English major instead of finishing Nursing?

I think most education agents will make suggestions based on the undergrad degrees you've completed to ensure that you do get the student visa. If you intend to really pursue Nursing, it would be a waste of time and money to study education only to shift to Nursing (which is what you did in your undergrad). I think it might be better to just go straight to apply for a Nursing program in AU, explaining that you wish to continue your Nursing studies but in AU instead of the Philippines.

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• mufasaamufasaa talisay
    @athelene it was a family decision but someone is sponsoring my studies but they want me to take nursing instead
    @mufasaa Hi, I'm referring to why you shifted from Nursing to English major. And do you mean your current choice of pursuing Nursing is because you will be sponsored? I'm asking about your reason why you shifted from Nursing to English because if you can establish that you still want to pursue Nursing because you realized that you want to return to the medical field (after having graduated with an English course), you can justify your reason to study Nursing in Australia. Shifting from Nursing to another course might be construed as disinterest in Nursing, and baka isipin na kukunin mo lng yung Nursing course sa Australia para magmigrate. Depende kasi sa reasoning mo kung magiging positive or negative ang tingin sa application mo.

• Tomahawk18Tomahawk18 Philippines
    Hello. Newbie here. I am planning to study in oz. I finished legal management course here in philippines. I am planning to take the course conversion in oz which is nursing program. My question is how long would it take for me to graduate as nurse pathway to PR.
    edited April 2018
    @Tomahawk18 Hi, since your first undergrad degree is very different from nursing, I think you might not have many (or any at all) subjects credited for the bachelor program in nursing. And unless I'm mistaken, conversion courses for Nursing is targeted for people who already have a prior credential (like diploma) in Nursing, and not really for people who are shifting from a different field. The typical path taken by career shifters is to take the normal bachelor degree in Nursing (typically 3 years), so you can register to be a nurse in AU.

@athelene thanks for the response. I am planning to bring my daughter and my partner. Is it possible to bring my partner as de facto and my child as dependent? And what is the visa applicable to my partner? Thanks
    edited April 2018
    @Tomahawk18 Both your partner and your child will be your dependents, and the visa applied to them will be Student Dependent visa. If you will be studying a bachelor's degree, your dependents' work rights will be the same as yours (20 hours/week).

@athelene my partner is married to her 1st husband. But her husband has new family now. I suppose she can't be my dependent. But we are live-in partners for almost 4 yrs.
    @Tomahawk18 Hmm, I think it would be best to inquire with DHA whether she can be your dependent considering her marital status (hopefully pwede though). Worst case scenario is that she'll have to apply for a separate visa (student, work, or tourist) so she can stay in Australia with you and your daughter.