Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Relocation to Canberra, Australia

MathieuLaroche01MathieuLaroche01 BangkokPosts: 11Member
Hi guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum. I am creating a new thread as I need some valuable feedback from you guys.

I'm about to relocate from China to Canberra, Australia.

I was wondering if you had any tips, advices, recommendations on how I should consider organizing it.

Also, if you can provide any assistance in terms of cost of living, housing, visa requirements etc. it would be highly appreciated.

I'll be waiting for your feedbacks guys, can't wait to hear from you soon :) Thanks

Comments

• williamsonswilliamsons Posts: 17Member
    Hi ! you made a good choice, Canberra is one of the most interesting city in Australia ! In terms of cost it is quite expensive because it is the capital but if you have a good job it can help.
  • caratroticaratroti Canberra
    Good morning,

I think there are several things I can tell you. I have lived in Canberra for over 6 years now and I really don't regret it, it is a very charming city.
    May I ask what sector you work in? it's a pretty important decision to move to an unknown country.

If I can reassure you, people are very welcoming here, always happy to meet strangers and help them settle in. The streets are very clean, the city is peaceful with lots of green space and very beautiful.

As far as housing is concerned, I can advise you a few neighbourhoods, take a look on the internet when you have time: Redhill, Yarramula, Manuka, Deakin, Kingston and Barton. These are areas in high demand, with a large concentration of expatriates.

As far as Visas are concerned, I know that there has been some change this year for work visas so the best thing to do is to inform you directly at your embassy. Ask your company, they can help you.

You have a date set for your departure?

Do not hesitate to ask me for more information, it is with pleasure

Have a nice day
  • MathieuLaroche01MathieuLaroche01 Bangkok
    caratroti said:

Good morning,

I think there are several things I can tell you. I have lived in Canberra for over 6 years now and I really don't regret it, it is a very charming city.
    May I ask what sector you work in? it's a pretty important decision to move to an unknown country.

If I can reassure you, people are very welcoming here, always happy to meet strangers and help them settle in. The streets are very clean, the city is peaceful with lots of green space and very beautiful.

As far as housing is concerned, I can advise you a few neighbourhoods, take a look on the internet when you have time: Redhill, Yarramula, Manuka, Deakin, Kingston and Barton. These are areas in high demand, with a large concentration of expatriates.

As far as Visas are concerned, I know that there has been some change this year for work visas so the best thing to do is to inform you directly at your embassy. Ask your company, they can help you.

You have a date set for your departure?

Do not hesitate to ask me for more information, it is with pleasure

Have a nice day

First things first: thank you for your answer. Thank you too Williamsons.

Your description of the city is pretty reassuring ;)

I'll be working as an IT Manager for an Italian company.

Thanks for the areas recommendations. I'll have a look at it. Where do you live? I mean which one of the areas you recommended lol?

Yeah, I think my company will handle it for me, but it seems like I have to do part of the job myself. But you are right, maybe I'm better off asking directly to the embassy, for updated and accurate information.

Can't wait to get there, even though I'm not sure what I should expect.

As for my arrival there, I'm not sure yet... But I should arrive around late September/October.

I have no idea about how I should organize my arrival there, how I should move my stuff, etc. My company doesn't provide any assistance with it... How about you? How did you handle it?

Any tips would be appreciated :D
    Good morning,

I'm glad I could help.
    I live near manuka, it's a very nice neighborhood. Moreover you arrive at the end of spring, beginning of summer you will have very good weather.

For your move, tried to see with your company an assistance because it is not something simple. You have a lot of things to transport? I remember going through a moving company but I don't remember the name at all.

I can try to find the name but in the meantime I advise you to contact agencies and ask them for a quote to get an idea. Many agencies inflate their prices so distrusted you
    caratroti said:

Good morning,

I'm glad I could help.
    I live near manuka, it's a very nice neighborhood. Moreover you arrive at the end of spring, beginning of summer you will have very good weather.

For your move, tried to see with your company an assistance because it is not something simple. You have a lot of things to transport? I remember going through a moving company but I don't remember the name at all.

I can try to find the name but in the meantime I advise you to contact agencies and ask them for a quote to get an idea. Many agencies inflate their prices so distrusted you

Hi !!

Yessss, the good point of getting there at this time of the year. ;)

In fact, I think I would request several quotation, both for air and sea relocations from different companies... I don't have many items to ship, but still some valuable belongings!!

The most important part for me is packing, as some of my household items need to be carefully packed by professionals.

I would highly appreciate if you can recall the name of the company you used, so that I can request a quotation to them, too ! ;)

Thank you for your help,

Cheers
    Hi, sorry for my late answer.

Did you manage to find a moving company
    international? did you ask for quotes?

How's your future installation going? Not too apprehensive?

I will take care of finding the name of the company and I will forward it to you as soon as possible, if I can help you it is with pleasure.

Let me know if you have already found a company

Have a nice day
    caratroti said:

Hi, sorry for my late answer.

Did you manage to find a moving company
    international? did you ask for quotes?

How's your future installation going? Not too apprehensive?

I will take care of finding the name of the company and I will forward it to you as soon as possible, if I can help you it is with pleasure.

Let me know if you have already found a company

Have a nice day

Hi !! Thank you for your answer... !

I asked several companies several quotation but apparently there are not really alined between them in terms of pricing lol.

Some quoted for a certain volume, other for maybe twice the volume, and twice the cost, etc. Seems like they are not very transparent on the rates calculations.

Anyway, for this reason, I'll wait for the company you used, hoping they can offer a greater transparency when quoting for the services.

Thank you very much for your time

Cheers !!
    Hello MathieuLaroche01

I haven't forgotten you, sorry I'm a little overloaded at work... so I found the name of the company I had used.

How is it going on your side? indeed be careful, some companies are only looking to make a profit...

The company I used is very serious, it offers good prices, good transparency and good follow-up throughout the process.

I leave you the link to the site if you want to take a look : https://sino-shipping.com/

Let me know and let's get a beer when you get settled.

Have a nice day
  • MayoMayMayoMay Posts: 280Member
    @caratroti hi me and husband will also be moving this oct in canberra. We are from sydney. Would you be able to provide the pros and cons living in canberra. Just want to have the info to prepare my expectation when we move.. thanks

ICT Support Engineer (As Dependent)
    ANZSCO: 263212 || Age: 30 pts || Educ: 10 pts || Work Exp: 5 pts || English: __pts || TOTAL: __pts

**Analyst Programmer (Partner - main applicant)
    ANZSCO: 261311 || Age: 30 pts || Educ: 15 pts || Work Exp: 10 pts || English: 10 pts || TOTAL: 65 pts

05.23.2016: Started researching about the process
    05.25.2016: Joined Pinoy AU forum and contacted colleagues who are already in AU for further assistance
    05.30.2016: Registered via online for a Debit Visa account in – Unionbank
    06.21.2016: Scanned all notarized documents
    06.25.2016: Uploaded all documents in ACS Site
    06.30.2016: Paid the ACS Fee and submitted it.
    07.11.2016: Received an email from ACS. Not qualified for Software Engineer (261313), recommended to use ICT Support Engineer (263212) instead
    07.21.2016: Paid the additional 200 AUD for the suggested ANZSCO 263212 (ICT Support Engineer)
    07.22.2016: Received the ACS Result - AQF Diploma, Major in Computing - 5yrs deducted / 3 yrs up to Present for the work experience)
    07.26.2016: Start of PTE test review
    07.29.2016: Partner's ACS Result - AQF Bachelor Degree (4yrs deducted / 5yrs up to Present for the work experience)
    08.30.2016: Took PTE exam / Processed NBI Clearance (with Hit)
    09.03.2016: Partner got positive PTE Result (L=79/R=85/S=72/W=90)
    09.05.2016: Lodged EOI (189)
    09.08.2016: Got our NBI Clearance...finally...
    09.15.2016: Received CEMI request
    09.28.2016: Partner got his ITA!!! (12:20am AU)
    10.10.2016: Completed Medical Exam - no action required
    11.22.2016: Visa lodged (frontloaded all docs)
    11.30.2016: CO asked for Payslip & ITR for 2011-2013
    12.16.2016: Uploaded the payslips & ITRs for 2011-2013
    02.03.2017: Golden email received!!! Thank you Lord!!
    03.24.2017: Attended the Pre-Departure Seminar (CFO Office)
    06.17.2017: Initial entry in Sydney last June 17-21, 2017
    01.14.2018: Hubby's big move to Sydney (Job hunting in progress)
    02.25.2018: Wifey's big move to Sydney
    05.29.2018: Wifey's 1st day at work (Barangaroo area)
    07.17.2018: Wifey's last day of contract work
    10.13.2018: Moved from Sydney to Canberra
    10.15.2018: Hubby's 1st day at work (Greenway area)
    12.21.2018: Wifey got accepted to a 5 month contract work
    01.21.2019: Wifey's 1st day at work (Turner area)
    06.30.2019: Wifey got a permanent role offer

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." - A Cinderella Story