Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Work as an engineer in Australia

Comments

• dhyzerdhyzer Posts: 4Member
    Hi, in-demand po ba ang site engineer dyan sa OZ, possible po ba mga company dyan mag hire offshore? Magkano po nagrarange ang salary? dito po ako ngayon sa NZ, site engineer for commercial building construction.
  • jmban33jmban33 New Farm
    @dhyzer rare nowadays
  • dhyzerdhyzer Posts: 4Member
    @jmban33 ah ok mukha ngang mahirap maghanap ng work dyan kapag walang local experience. thanks
  • rcbconopiorcbconopio Philippines
    Hello everyone! I just got my PR visa confirmation the other day. Telco engineer ako dito sa Philippines and I'd really want to practice the same profession in Australia. Ive submitted two job applications via Seek. Plano ko kase lilipad lang ako AU if may makuha na ako na work because i can't say for sure how long I'll be unemployed when i fly there ASAP. Do employers look for our PRC license when applying for work? Meron po ba dito currently working in a telecoms company?
  • vencel2017vencel2017 Victoria
    @rcbconopio
    They don't care about the PRC license mate. Given that you have the basic qualification like the uni degree and working rights, they'll then look into your working experience. You must show/prove them that you really know the ins and outs of your own trade. Also, most employers are looking for local experience and wants their potential employees already here in Australia. So its a bit of a challenge to apply online while still overseas because they may ask for a face to face interview ASAP (but there are few lucky ones.. you maybe one of them). But I guess IT jobs are maybe a bit different in terms of online application. I think the reason is that IT jobs follow more of a global standard that is generic whichever region you are in (just my opinion). But don't loose hope cause there are plenty of new migrants and foreigners(holiday visas) here that still gets their target job.
    Another thing, in my experience, the interviewers (managers or supervisors) really knows the technical side of their business or project. So they'll know if your pretending or faking your CV. But most Pinoys are safe on this matter (unlike some other ethnicity...LOL(racist lang eh noh)).
    The best thing is to prepare your heart, mind and bank account before heading down here under.
    Congratz and all the best mate!
    caspersushi24

12-3-2016 - EA CDR draft
    12-17-2016 - Booked for Language Exam
    01-20-2017 - Positive Result-English Exam :-)
    02-02-2017 - Submitted EA CDR
    04-10-2017 - Positive EA Result
    04-11-2017 - Lodged EOI
    04-12-2017 - ITA :-)
    04-13-2017 - 189 Visa Lodge
    04-13-2017 - Upload Docs
    04-14-2017 - Scheduled Medical and PCC
    04-22-2017 - First CO contact. Requested Additional Documents (medical, police clearance certificates, Form 80)
    05-05-2017 - Provided all requested documents
    09-07-2017 -Thank you lord.. VISA GRANT!
    02-03-2018 - Big Move

@vencel2017 thanks for the tips! I will take note of those
    @vencel2017 my main concern about flying to Australia without a job is that I still have to relocate if the employer is based on a different state other than where I landed. OZ is huge.
  • REDRED Perth
    @rcbconopio My wife and I have plenty of experience on our craft before we moved to OZ (roughly 10yrs experience), it took me 3 months to get a job (not my field of expertise), 2 years to get back to the field I am good at and 6 months for my wife (her expertise). I'm telling you these numbers coz these are pretty common wait times when looking for a job (some are luckier than us but mostly told us that we are extremely lucky). Applying from overseas gives you a very huge disadvantage considering the applicants here in Australia are very aggressive as they do walk-ins and follow ups by phone plus you do not have a solid reference yet in Australia. I would suggest that you choose the state where you want to live, pack up and fly right away. This, by far is the most efficient and effective way from what I believe. It will be costly but that money is easy to get back anyway once you get a job. Goodluck mate on your journey!
    caspersushi24

13-06-07 IELTS Take 1 (Failed)
    13-06-22 Shipped Documents to Engineers Australia
    13-08-09 IELTS Take 2 (Failed)
    13-09-20 IELTS Take 3 (Failed)
    13-10-05 Received Skill Assessment, Electronics Engineer (ANZSCO 233411)
    13-10-05 Submitted EOI for190 (60 points) & 489 (65 points)
    14-02-25 Suspend EOI (change of plans)
    14-07-25 Updated EOI to 189 (60 points)
    14-08-10 Received Invitation to apply for 189
    14-08-23 Lodge Application
    14-10-23 CO Assigned
    14-11-05 Visa Grant - Thank you Lord :)
    15-08-03 Initial entry in Perth

• vencel2017vencel2017 Victoria
    Totally agree with @RED. Getting a job before landing here is what many of us aspired. But I only knew few people who were lucky enough to be in that boat. One friend told me that they had very good referal connections to their employer so they got the job before flying here.
    That is why @rcbconopio I said in my comment post that you should prepare your mind, heart and bank account. You need to allot a big sum for the living expense until you get a job here. This includes budget for rent, food, transpo and other essentials. Seems to me that you are open to work in any state that will offer you your first work opportunity that meets your expectation. As long as you have a big budget to fly-in fly-out, you will be alright (ex. Melbourne to Sydney or Sydney to Perth). Just stay in a hotel or airbnb or bagpacker or in a friend's house for few days to attend interviews then go back wherever.
    But if budget is too tight, my suggestion is same with @RED, for you to already decide which Aussie state you like the most and have solid plans. It is always a competition, not only here but everywhere, so we need to be patient during job hunting.
    Goodluck and pray for guidance.
    All the best.
    caspersushi24

12-3-2016 - EA CDR draft
    12-17-2016 - Booked for Language Exam
    01-20-2017 - Positive Result-English Exam :-)
    02-02-2017 - Submitted EA CDR
    04-10-2017 - Positive EA Result
    04-11-2017 - Lodged EOI
    04-12-2017 - ITA :-)
    04-13-2017 - 189 Visa Lodge
    04-13-2017 - Upload Docs
    04-14-2017 - Scheduled Medical and PCC
    04-22-2017 - First CO contact. Requested Additional Documents (medical, police clearance certificates, Form 80)
    05-05-2017 - Provided all requested documents
    09-07-2017 -Thank you lord.. VISA GRANT!
    02-03-2018 - Big Move

• nrekramnrekram Philippines
    Hi to all.

I am new to this page and trying know more of the actual situations once you landed in Oz.

Actually, it's my ultimate dream to live and work in Oz as CE, from being kid 'til now,
    but as I've read the comments here it seems that it is not easy to reach the that dream (huhu) I feel like giving up that dream.

I'm on stage 1 of my migration application in subclass189 thru agency, preparing to take PTE exam and CDR making, gathering COE's with JD, and others.
    I'm a CE currently working in KSA.

I wanna ask how much money did you bring when you landed to Oz to sustain the living expenses until you get a job?

Is Php 500k enough?, excluding the migration application costs.

So, i can prepare more and save, if ever luckily invited. Thank you.
    @nrekram not sure if Php 500k is enough. I applied for subclass 189 as well and it cost me Php 390k (inclusive of Php 110k agency fee).

@RED @vencel2017 Thanks, that clears my dilemma
  • REDRED Perth
    @nrekram How much money do you need is very specific and relative to your situation. Heaps of factors can be factored in e.g. do you have a relative that can support you? are you just going to focus on a single state or planning to do interview interstate? do you have wife and kids to bring while looking for a job?

But to give you a rough estimate on what is the bare minimum you can bring, let's give an assumption that you are single and no dependents, will only focus applying on a single state and you are not very picky.

$100/week of room rental - Applicable to MOST major cities but a bit far from the city. Find something that is all inclusive with internet. Deposit and advance required.
    $1/per use of phone call - Cheapest plan you can get, usually called long term plan.
    $20/week of food - I'm talking about the BARE MINIMUM here. This is just mee goreng, eggs, bread, rice & milk.
    $40/week of transportation cost - Public tranpo is expensive, this is assuming that you will be very active everyday looking for a job everywhere.

Roughly that would be PHP30,000 per month. If all I am gonna do is fly over and look for a job living on a bare minimum, I will bring at least 6 months worth of bullets.

Is 500k enough? Can you live with that kind of lifestyle? Are you bringing kids? Do you need to apply for drivers license (some visas require you to transfer international license within 6 months)? Do you need a car?

Lastly, when you get a job it will take at least a fortnight or a month before you can get your first salary.
    caspersushi24

14-10-23 CO Assigned

@RED Thank you for providing me the details on minimum living expenses there.

Btw, I am single and no dependents. Also, no family, no relatives, and no friends there. I am going there alone, if ever got to be invited.

Based on the rough amount of 30k, I'd raised it a little to 40k per month as my living expenses without any job.

I need an amount of at least 500k for 12 months of stay without a job, and at least 1M for 2 years if unlucky in job hunt/still jobless.
    Excluding first the other expenses in registrations for cars and others.

Kakayanin ko nalang muna ang ganyang lifestyle para sa pangarap hehe.
    Kaya start na ako sa ipon2x ngayon.

Maraming Salamat ulit.
    caspersushi24
    @rcbconopio yeah medyo kulang, pero i think 500k can help na din for a few months of stay without a job basi sa given figure ni RED, pero in minimum living lang.

more than 400k ang budget na nilaan ko for all the paper works. Thank you.
    @PitMb Ako, currently nasa engineering consultancy, our projects to related precast erection works and concrete works for topping slabs above HCS, and from foundations to beams.

But nasa saudi pa ko ngayon, pero gustong-gusto pumunta dyan. Pwede po ba kung sakali?
  • REDRED Perth
    nrekram said:

I need an amount of at least 500k for 12 months of stay without a job, and at least 1M for 2 years if unlucky in job hunt/still jobless.

You don't have to prepare 12 months worth of money just to find a job here, you'll be in a much better position if you do but not necessary. It all depends on what first job are you gonna look or expecting. If you are looking for something very specific like engineering then it might take a while if you are not lucky. Pero kung hindi ka mapili sa trabaho, madali lang maghanap ng work dito, I'm sure within 2 months meron ka ng work.

14-10-23 CO Assigned

@RED i work as an outside plant engineer dito sa Pinas. My work is mainly about designing and implementing fiber facility installations for corporate clients. Is it a good idea to work as a warehouse staff or document controller sa OZ? I understand it's completely unrelated. Pero ang goal ko kase is to gain local references to back my current work experience. Tama ba ung approach ko?
  • REDRED Perth
    @rcbconopio Wala naman right or wrong approach. Only you can answer whether what you are doing is good for your career or if it is something that you wanted. Let me give you a short story of what I did when I landed in Australia.

- I focused on looking for a job that I wanted from Day 1.
    - It took me a week to 2 weeks to apply on every one of them.
    - Did a lot of studying after that so I am more prepared for interview which I wasn't lucky to get.
    - After more than a month, I lowered down my pride and opened the gate to any other opportunity and found a job after 2 months.

If I am going to migrate again, this what I will do based from my experience.
    - Apply all relevant jobs to my experience within 1 to 2 weeks.
    - Apply to any other jobs to sustain my living.

Sobrang importante lang po ng trabaho sa Australia dahil sa taas ng cost of living unless you belong to those crazy rich asians :D Madali na po ihandle what do you want for your career pag you are earning money na.
    caspersushi24

14-10-23 CO Assigned

RED said:

nrekram said:

You don't have to prepare 12 months worth of money just to find a job here, you'll be in a much better position if you do but not necessary. It all depends on what first job are you gonna look or expecting. If you are looking for something very specific like engineering then it might take a while if you are not lucky. Pero kung hindi ka mapili sa trabaho, madali lang maghanap ng work dito, I'm sure within 2 months meron ka ng work.
    Yeah, u r right. If ever i could save that amount of money and able to work there as early than the expected months that money will just be for back up funds & emergency funds, in case of.
    I am willing to downgrade my work preference for the meantime, if ever. Most important is I could sustain the monthly living there without relying to my savings.

Btw, does a regular job there enough to sustain a monthly living?
    (like in restaurant, mall, or any type except engineering and office jobs)

At tsaka, basi sa timeline nng migration application mo, pwde ba mag submit sa EA kahit below score lang ang IELTS or PTE mo? I mean kahit hindi ka umabot sa superior score like 79 in PTE or 8.0 in IELTS? They could give you a positive assessment?

Thank you.

• REDRED Perth

Btw, does a regular job there enough to sustain a monthly living?
    (like in restaurant, mall, or any type except engineering and office jobs)
    Minimum salary in Australia is around $18/hr (varies for every state). Sobrang dalang ng work na magbibigay sayo ng minimum salary, kahit cleaner or dishwasher usually above dyan. Kung maliit man yung sahod mo and PR ka, walang tax yung 1st 18k.

To answer your question: In general in Australia, basta may trabaho ka, you'll be able to make a living. And the type of work that you do doesn't really matter here.

At tsaka, basi sa timeline nng migration application mo, pwde ba mag submit sa EA kahit below score lang ang IELTS or PTE mo? I mean kahit hindi ka umabot sa superior score like 79 in PTE or 8.0 in IELTS? They could give you a positive assessment?
    Buhay pa pala yung signature ko. Haha. 6 lang ang required sa field ko for assessment. What I meant by failed is I was aiming for 7 to get 10 points for visa application :)
    caspersushi24

14-10-23 CO Assigned

Thank you sa reps again.

Mabuti pala kung ganon, even if it is in minimum wage you can still make a living until everything are settled and ready to hunt for the desired job/role.

A total of 60 points ang passing requirments for my subclass 189 application,
    kaso sabi ni agency, I need to get 20 points equivalent sa english exam para ma meet ko ang total score na 75 points for higher chance of invitation when EOI is lodged.

Since naka ilang ulit ka nag take ng english exam.
    So, pwede pala kahit minimum score lang muna sa IELTS /or PTE pag nag lodge ng documents for Skill Assessment para mabigyan lang nang positive remarks
    then update nalang later for EOI lodgment na. Tama ba?
  • PitMbPitMb New South Wales
    @nrekram Yeah of course you can. Just take pathway where most of the Engineers from KSA took. Take your IELTS and prepare for your assessments with EA, threads here in pinoyau are informative and will give you basically all the information you need, just do a back reading. If you're a Civil Engineer, this is the time to come here as Infra works are booming, wag lang maging choosy sa first job and company as all salaries no matter how high or low gets even due to taxes and subsidies
  • REDRED Perth
    nrekram said:

Thank you sa reps again.
    So, pwede pala kahit minimum score lang muna sa IELTS /or PTE pag nag lodge ng documents for Skill Assessment para mabigyan lang nang positive remarks
    then update nalang later for EOI lodgment na. Tama ba?

Separate process and separate governing body naman ang skills assessment and visa application. So it does not matter which IELTS result you provide on skill assessment compared sa visa application as long as you satisfy the requirement on each agency.

14-10-23 CO Assigned

• DingDongDingDong Malaysia
    Hello to all,

I am just new to this page.

I’m planning to apply for a PR visa through agency by early next year.

Would like to seek advice regarding the current situation on QA/QC Engineer job opportunity in a manufacturing industry (esp. Electronics, Semiconductor) in OZ?

Your reply is very much appreciated.

God bless.
  • maryowni09maryowni09 Philippines
    @RED I read all your inputs and thank you for sharing them with all of us. My wife and I are going to have our big move na this Feb 26 and we plan to settle initially at Melbourne while I wait for feedbacks sa mga inapplyan ko online for project management and process engineer jobs. Open ako sa opportunities and I acknowledge the fact n mahirap mag hanap work so gusto ko sana malaman ano ung unang odd-job n inapplyan mo to sustain life hanggang nakuha mo gusto mong job? I am 26 yrs old and with 3 yrs background as project manager and process engineer sa geothermal industry, also 5 years n cumulative sa workforce (little background about myself).

ANZSCO 233111| Chemical Engineer| Age :30, Education: 15, Employment: 10, PTE: 20

• REDRED Perth

gusto ko sana malaman ano ung unang odd-job n inapplyan mo to sustain life hanggang nakuha mo gusto mong job?

Inapplayan, mostly retail, fastfood at kung ano pang mahanap.
    Pero I got a job as a Casino dealer.

14-10-23 CO Assigned

• maryowni09maryowni09 Philippines
    Thanks @RED i will also consider those jobs just in case

ANZSCO 233111| Chemical Engineer| Age :30, Education: 15, Employment: 10, PTE: 20

• francoriofrancorio Posts: 8Member
    Hi po newbie here. I'm currently applying for PR and my target location is in melbourne. I'm a civil engr d2 sa pinas. Based sa mga forums and blogs na na nakita ko mukang mahirap talaga mag hanap ng work jan sa au. I'm preparing myself to work for a blue collar job once I landed while looking for engr job. Target ko sana is skilled worker in construction kahit carpenter or even laborer. Tanong ko lang kung mahirap ba pumasok kahit sa ganun industry? Thanks in advance
  • kimpoykimpoy South Australia

Good day.

Paano po makakuha ng local experience sa Oz kung ang target job ko is makapasok sa drafting job? Currently working as M&E drafter sa construction sa SG. Dati din ako nagwork as electrical drafter sa eng'g consultancy sa SG & PH. Yung pagiging engineer lang ang di ko napractice dito sa SG.

1. Magvolunteer sa mga community...counted po ba ito as local experience?
    2. any job po ba will count as local experience if gusto ko pumasok sa line of work ko?
    3. Mayroon po bang drafting trainee? just to have a local experience?

ANZSCO 312311 | Electrical Engineering Draftsperson |

29.04.2017 |IELTS GT |LRSWO|6.0/7.0/6.5/6.0|6.5
    05.04.2018 | PTE-A |LRSWO|62/75/64/68|68
    15.04.2018 | Lodged EA Assessment
    31.05.2018 | EA: POSITIVE
    06.07.2018 | Submitted 489 EOI 55+10=65 pts SA
    30.07.2018 | Lodged SA State Nomination Application
    26.10.2018 | ITA Received - 489 (SA)
    06.12.2018 | Lodged Visa 489 application (SA)
    04.06.2019 | Direct Grant
    16.08.2019 | 1st Entry in SA from SG (4 days then returned to work in Singapore)

2020-2021 | Oz border closure/travel restrictions

31.12.2021 | Arrived in VIC from the USA
    09.01.2022 | Moved to SA from VIC
    18.02.2022 | Visa489 validity extended by Oz Gov't (due to border closure)
    16.03.2022 | Started work as a hotel housekeeping cleaner
    03.05.2022 | Started work in my nominated occupation
    07.02.2024 | Submitted Application for Visa 887

• rvonlinervonline Melbourne
    I migrated here 12 years ago with advised from an Agent to go thru Vetassess instead of EA because it’s easier to get approval. I nominated Project Admin for assessment purposes though I worked as Project Engineer in Phils.

I spoke to EA and ask them about the benefits of being a member and can they help me find a job. EA told me as a member you get discount on training and seminar for CPD and networking with fellow members but we can’t help you find a job.
    Since then nawalan na ako ng interest mag pa assess for membership. I’m working as construction engineer for Tier1 company (maybe no.1 or 2 Aus company). Half of my colleagues are also not a member, majority studied here and never renew their membership after being a graduate member. I know someone who’s EA member and PMP works as Sales Engineer / Manager.
    They said if you intend to be a charter engineer (i think usually designer), it’s better to be a member for CPD purposes. If you have spare money and it will benefit you, go for it otherwise don’t worry about it.