Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Some tips to those arriving in South Australia :)

Been here for almost two months and settling in pretty nicely.

Gusto ko lang mag-share sa inyo ng mga tips para dun sa mga malapit nang pumunta sa South Australia

1) Information Sessions for New Migrants

The South Australian government offers free assistance to new migrants in the form of information sessions that will help them get settle in and be job ready.

Once in a month, the SA government holds Information Session for new migrants to introduce South Australia to them. Dito, magkakaroon kayo ng pagkakataon na magtanong sa mga officers from Immigration Dept, City Council, and other relevant local government departments to assist you.

You can find more about this here:
http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/once-youve-arrived/information-sessions

You can register using the account you use for SA state nomination.

2) Free English classes in TAFE

For those who feel like they need to improve on their verbal and written communications, TAFE is offering a free course to eligible visa holders. Free of charge. Ito medyo bilib ako kasi hindi lang siya basta short course. Parang ilang weeks siya na training.

Details about this is also discussed during the Information Session.

3) Job Readiness Seminar

The SA government is also conducting free information sessions for migrants to help them become "Job Ready". They introduce you to the South Australian labour market. Give you strategies on how to find a job, how you can improve your resume and how to write cover letter. I am very impressed with this service.

Dahil dito, I managed to get a call for an exam, interview and eventually a job offer. Kung hindi ko inedit ang resume ko at hindi ako gumawa ng cover letter, I don't think I will be able to get that job offer.

To avail of this service, do register here: http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/language/en-us/careers-jobs/finding-a-job/services-for-skilled-migrants

4) Interview Preparation Session

Aside from helping you out with writing your resume and strategies to increase your chances of getting noticed by employers, they also provide a service to migrants on how to ace that interview. They give you tips on how to answer possible interview questions and how to conduct yourself in an interview

You can also register for this in the link I gave above

Please do take advantage of these free services. They are free. Malaking tulong ito for the new migrants. On top of that it gives you opportunity to network with other new migrants.

261314 (Software Tester)
27 May 2015 - Submitted requirements for ACS Skills Assessment
05 June 2015 - Received Result of Assessment - Positive (Thank You Lord!)
15 June 2015 - PTE Academic exam
16 June 2015 - Passed PTE Academic exam :) - Thank you Lord!
17 June 2015 - Applied for Victoria State Nomination
18 June 2015 - Application received by the Victorian Gov. Obtained Reference.
02 July 2015 - Application refused by the Victorian Government
07 July 2015 - Applied for South Australian Nomination under 489 visa scheme
20 July 2015 - State Sponsorship Approved/Received Invite to Apply for Visa (Thank You Lord!)
03 Aug 2015 - Lodged Visa Application :)
22 Sep 2015 - Requested to have Medicals done
29 Sep 2015 - Had Medicals done at NHSI
06 Oct 2015 - Medical results forwarded to DIBP
07 Oct 2015 - Medical results finalised. All cleared. Thank you Lord!
09 Oct 2015 - Visa Grant. Thank you Lord!!!!!!!!! and thank you to all who helped me with this application.

Comments

• nikxnikx Adelaide
    edited May 2016
    @FrenchMilk Nice! thanks sa info! Nagattend ka agad ng seminar pag dating mo? musta job hunting?

Software Engineer (ANZSCO 261313)
    02 Feb 2014 - IELTS (L:7|R:6.5|W:6|S:6) - RETAKE!
    24 Apr 2014 - IETLS (L:8|R:7.5|W:7|S:6.5) - RETAKE AGAIN!
    30 May 2015 - IELTS (L:7|R:8.5|W:7|S:7) - WOOHOO! Thank you Lord! :)
    25 Jun 2015 - ACS Skills Assessment - RPL
    03 JUL 2015 - ACS Result - Positive! - Thank you Po!!
    03 JUL 2015 - Submitted EOI & VIC SS
    24 JUL 2015 - VIC SS Rejected :(
    24 JUL 2015 - SA SS Nomination Submitted
    23 SEP 2015 - SA SS Approved
    23 SEP 2015 - Received an invitation to lodge Visa 190
    29 SEP 2015 - Medical exam completed @ SATA AMK
    29 SEP 2015 - Lodged and uploaded docs
    11 OCT 2015 - Form 80 Uploaded
    12 OCT 2015 - NBI Clearance and SG PCC Uploaded
    10 NOV 2015 - VISA GRANTED!! Thank you Lord!!
    28 JUL 2016 - BIG MOVE

• IslanderndCityIslanderndCity Adelaide

Been here for almost two months and settling in pretty nicely.

Gusto ko lang mag-share sa inyo ng mga tips para dun sa mga malapit nang pumunta sa South Australia

1) Information Sessions for New Migrants

The South Australian government offers free assistance to new migrants in the form of information sessions that will help them get settle in and be job ready.

Once in a month, the SA government holds Information Session for new migrants to introduce South Australia to them. Dito, magkakaroon kayo ng pagkakataon na magtanong sa mga officers from Immigration Dept, City Council, and other relevant local government departments to assist you.

You can find more about this here:
    http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/once-youve-arrived/information-sessions

You can register using the account you use for SA state nomination.

2) Free English classes in TAFE

For those who feel like they need to improve on their verbal and written communications, TAFE is offering a free course to eligible visa holders. Free of charge. Ito medyo bilib ako kasi hindi lang siya basta short course. Parang ilang weeks siya na training.

Details about this is also discussed during the Information Session.

3) Job Readiness Seminar

The SA government is also conducting free information sessions for migrants to help them become "Job Ready". They introduce you to the South Australian labour market. Give you strategies on how to find a job, how you can improve your resume and how to write cover letter. I am very impressed with this service.

Dahil dito, I managed to get a call for an exam, interview and eventually a job offer. Kung hindi ko inedit ang resume ko at hindi ako gumawa ng cover letter, I don't think I will be able to get that job offer.

To avail of this service, do register here: http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/language/en-us/careers-jobs/finding-a-job/services-for-skilled-migrants

4) Interview Preparation Session

Aside from helping you out with writing your resume and strategies to increase your chances of getting noticed by employers, they also provide a service to migrants on how to ace that interview. They give you tips on how to answer possible interview questions and how to conduct yourself in an interview

You can also register for this in the link I gave above

Please do take advantage of these free services. They are free. Malaking tulong ito for the new migrants. On top of that it gives you opportunity to network with other new migrants.

3 & 4
    Highly-recommended

Assessed Occupation: Industrial Engineer (IE 233511)
    Achieved Goal: Australia PR (Permanent Resident). Thanks God!

...sharpening my core gifts now...
    ...working on new, better goals...

Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. ~Luke 6:28~

• supermadisupermadi Singapore
    @IslanderndCity Hi po sir. I know po super tagal na nitong post nyo, pero ask ko po sana if meron pa kayo sample nung resume at cover letter? Basis lang po sana. :)

Papunta po kame SA his coming April. Trying to research po kame as much as we can para prepared kahit pano. :) Salamat po. :)
  • magueromaguero Adelaide
    @supermadi Buti nahanap mo yung thread na to =)

@IslanderndCity @FrenchMilk Nasa SA pa rin kayo? Kumusta yung first two years ninyo dyan? 489 visa ako so kailangan ko magstay ng at least 2 years sa SA.
  • ignormsignorms Adelaide
    Subscribing on this thread, for future references.
  • supermadisupermadi Singapore
    @maguero Hello sir. Oo nga e. Hehe! Binabasa ko lahat ng thread dito pag may time. Para prepared tayo kahit pano. :)
  • IslanderndCityIslanderndCity Adelaide
    @maguero null
    null
    Sorry now lang reply.
    First 2 years in SA:
    2nd month - first car
    5th month - second car
    11th month - own new house

So far, ok naman. God provided our basic needs po. And we really did our parts also

Assessed Occupation: Industrial Engineer (IE 233511)
    Achieved Goal: Australia PR (Permanent Resident). Thanks God!

...sharpening my core gifts now...
    ...working on new, better goals...

Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. ~Luke 6:28~

• AussiepangarapAussiepangarap Posts: 28Member
    @IslanderndCity nakakainspire naman ito sir. I’m in the verge of giving up coz lack of jobs in SA, in line po sa aking work and go back to my previous employer. Pero kapit lang!
  • irishrn2008irishrn2008 KSA
    @FrenchMilk thank you for this helpful information :)

@IslanderndCity wow kakainspire po kayo! we will be praying for the same favours from God too!
  • redphredph Singapore
    Sa mga mag move to SA, avail nyo yung "meet and greet" services. Free transportation from airport to your temporary residence.
  • magueromaguero Adelaide
    @Aussiepangarap Gaano katagal ka na sa SA? Nakahanap ka naman ng trabaho maski hindi in line sa talagang occupation mo? Kabado din ako sa job hunting.
  • AussiepangarapAussiepangarap Posts: 28Member
    edited January 2019
    @maguero 2 months nako dito at wala pa din akong work. Try ko muna hanap in line of work ko kahit mga 4 mos.(struct drafting). Galing ako ng Singapore at minsan gusto ko ng bumalik sa dati kong boss and buti may work si hubby kahit papano.
    JCD
  • nicet1nicet1 davao city
    hello po..i will be arriving in SA this jan.16 tanong ko lang po kung ino honor po ba ang non prof driver's license sa Australia?thanks po
  • ignormsignorms Adelaide
    Hi guys! Sino po ang living or lives near Fulham Gardens, SA?

We've been looking for accommodation when we arrive in SA on April, at meron friend of a friend na nasa SA at meron siyang house for sale, pero willing to rent it out to us, located in Fulham Gardens.

Rent for the house would cost us 300aud p/w, and there are still some furnitures left which we could use. We are still negotiating if we could rent it for maybe 2-3 months lang muna. Baka kasi malayo makuha naming work, we could relocate as needed. We are seriously considering it, because we won't need to rent an Airbnb, which could cost 600aud pw, and the hassle of applying for rent on our first few weeks in SA. Concern lang namin is yung travel to Adelaide CBD.

Is the location feasible for a new migrant, without a car and work yet? Are there other considerations we should also look into?