Ad space available
reach us at [email protected]
Hi Everyone, I managed to get in touch with Yahoo staff and resolve the issue with the emails and notifications should be back. If you feel like disabling email notifications, you can do it via your Preference settings. Click the upper right Gear icon > Edit Profile > Right side Menu > Notification Preferences.

Civil Engineer / Structural Engineer prior to going in Australia

Hi Civil Engineers/ Structural Engineers working in Australia. I'm still here in the Philippines pero I just want to ask if better po bang magkaruon na ako ng knowledge with Australian codes and have worked in an Australian company with projects located in Australia before going there in Australia? Mahirap po bang maghanap ng Structural Engineering works pag wala pang Aus local experience? At ano po ang pinakamalagang skill na iimprove beforeand: drafting, management, or any software for design?

While waiting for invitation, might as well I'll prepare myself with the needed skillset for better employability.

Thank you!

233214 - Structural Engineer
08/06/2021 - Contacted an Immigration Agent
11/06/2021 - Preparation of Initial Documents (including 3 Career Episode Essays, SS etc.)
25/08/2021 - Completion of all Initial Documents
05/09/2021 - Start of PTE Academic Review
30/10/2021 - PTE Academic Exam & Results ( L:90 | R:83 | S:90| W:90 ) Superior, First-Time Test Taker
04/11/2021 - EA Skills Assessment submitted for 233214 - Structural Engineer
23/11/2021 - Positive EA Skills Assessment outcome
25/11/2021 - EOI submitted
PTE Exam Complete Preparation Guide:
https://tinyurl.com/PTEPreparationGuide
James 1:5-6
(New International Version)
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@EricTC said:
    Hi Civil Engineers/ Structural Engineers working in Australia. I'm still here in the Philippines pero I just want to ask if better po bang magkaruon na ako ng knowledge with Australian codes and have worked in an Australian company with projects located in Australia before going there in Australia? Mahirap po bang maghanap ng Structural Engineering works pag wala pang Aus local experience? At ano po ang pinakamalagang skill na iimprove beforeand: drafting, management, or any software for design?

While waiting for invitation, might as well I'll prepare myself with the needed skillset for better employability.

Thank you!

Since you don't have an invitation for PR yet, it's totally up to you whether you want to study ahead of time. Some Australian codes change often, others not so much, so you'll just have to check which codes are applicable to your work. Unless you already know someone who works here in a structural engineering role, it would be difficult to know which standards you need to study or which ones will be relevant to the work until you actually start working here.

I'm not in the engineering field (I'm in architecture field, but not yet working in industry), but most Aussie employers want someone with local experience, and this is a challenge for new migrants. I'd say it's a case-to-case basis. I have a civil engineer friend that arrived as a new migrant in Australia earlier this year, and it took him a few weeks to get his first engineering job because he didn't have "local experience". Although he was a registered engineer in the PH, he wasn't given much engineering work, so he decided to move to another company after a few weeks. An architect friend who also migrated to Australia said it took him a year to find an archi-related job. He worked as a factory worker for a year to gain "local experience." My advice is that your first job doesn't have to be the best structural engineering job ever; it's just the first job to gain the coveted "local experience," and then move to another role later on. Local experience doesn't always have to be directly related to your occupation; it could be work experience in any kind of job that requires the same transferrable skills. It's just a matter of how well you can sell and relate your transferable skills from a previous role to the new role.

People will say different things about the most important skills in the Australian workplace, but from what I've observed and experienced, your qualifications can only get you so far. Australians put more weight on relationships and attitudes (soft skills) than technical knowledge and drafting skills (hard skills). Totoo yung sinasabi nila na people get their jobs through connections/networks here in Australia. It's not just about what you know, but who you know. Aussies are more likely to hire an applicant who knows someone already working in the company (referral basis) than a total nobody. The lack of connections is the biggest disadvantage to new migrants, but that is the reality.

caspersushi24
  • mamertzmamertz Burnie, Tasmania

@EricTC said:

Thank you!

Hi,

I am a Structural engineer here in Australia.

From your line of asking, I can sense na nasa design/engineering/consultancy side ka. If that is the case, the most important codes are AS4100, AS3600, AS1170. There is one particular book that helped me: Australian Guidebook for structural engineers. If you have the time, you can start doing some self-study. Makakatulong yun.

As for software study, medyo mahirap mag-suggest kasi each company has their own preferred software. Pero most of my consultants are using SpaceGass. We use Autodesk Robot Str. Analysis in our company.

Tama po ang mga comments ni athelene. MEdyo mahirap maghanap ng engineering-related work sa simula kasi employers put so much emphasis on local experience. For more senior roles, they will even look for state registrations/licenses. Soft skills appear to have more weight than technical skills (at least during the hiring process).

Maybe my personal experience here can paint the picture. Share ko na rin.

When applying, I was told na it would be best to submit CVs that are specifically-tailored for the job description. So that means, meron akong multiple versions ng CV ko, each one highlighting what aspects of my experiences are most applicable to the particular job I am applying. I also have written a lot of cover letters.

I applied for around 80 jobs before getting two interviews. In both of my interviews, there are no technical questions. Mostly on the management aspects ang mga tanong. To be clear, none of these two companies are consultancy firms. I can imagine na kung sa consultancy ka mag-apply, for sure madaming technical questions.

I became successful on my second interview. I later on discovered that there were around 20 more engineers who applied, 5 of which were also shortlisted and interviewed. Despite lacking "local experience" they took their chance on me, because I have handled the interview better compared to others. This was the insider's feedback I obtained when I got the job. By the way, this job is in Tasmania where there is lesser competition.

May kakilala ako, engineer din siya. Pero he started as a draftsman. You may want to consider that "pathway" of gaining local experience. Pero all in all, you can take any job muna kung unsuccessful ka sa mga unang tries mo. Doesn't matter kung ano pa yan, kahit pa nga volunteering work pa e. Mahalaga may mailalagay ka sa CV and ma-highlight mo ang core skills mo.

One piece of advise: start mo na makipag-network within Australia. Kung may kakilala/kaibigan/kamag-anak ka, take good advantage of that. Mahalaga ang connections, as athelene stated. Ganun ang kalakaran na nakikita ko sa kumpanya ko and sa ilang companies na nababalitaan ko.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Do not be discouraged. Ito yung mga bagay na siguradong pagdadaanan ng bawat new migrant. Pero one day, you will find that It was all worth it.

For anything, shoot me a message. Try ko mag-bigay ng payo kung kaya ko.

Nohiel04caspersushi24

March 21, 2018 Registered for IELTS
    April 20, 21, 2018 Took IELTS
    May 3, 2018 Received IELTS results L8 R9 W7 S7

Jun 8, 2018 Submitted EA application
    Jul 9,2018 Received positive outcome

Jul 9 , 2018 Submitted EOI - 65 points

Dec 19, 2018 Took PTE
    Dec 20, 2018 received Results L81, R90, S90, W85

Jan 8, 2019 Updated EOI - 75 points
    Jan 11, 2019 invited

Feb 9, 2019 Visa application submitted
    Aprill 11, 2019 Praise God. Direct Grant.

Nov 9, 2019 Big Move

• EricTCEricTC Posts: 44Member

@athelene said:

@EricTC said:

Thank you!

Since you don't have an invitation for PR yet, it's totally up to you whether you want to study ahead of time. Some Australian codes change often, others not so much, so you'll just have to check which codes are applicable to your work. Unless you already know someone who works here in a structural engineering role, it would be difficult to know which standards you need to study or which ones will be relevant to the work until you actually start working here.

I'm not in the engineering field (I'm in architecture field, but not yet working in industry), but most Aussie employers want someone with local experience, and this is a challenge for new migrants. I'd say it's a case-to-case basis. I have a civil engineer friend that arrived as a new migrant in Australia earlier this year, and it took him a few weeks to get his first engineering job because he didn't have "local experience". Although he was a registered engineer in the PH, he wasn't given much engineering work, so he decided to move to another company after a few weeks. An architect friend who also migrated to Australia said it took him a year to find an archi-related job. He worked as a factory worker for a year to gain "local experience." My advice is that your first job doesn't have to be the best structural engineering job ever; it's just the first job to gain the coveted "local experience," and then move to another role later on. Local experience doesn't always have to be directly related to your occupation; it could be work experience in any kind of job that requires the same transferrable skills. It's just a matter of how well you can sell and relate your transferable skills from a previous role to the new role.

People will say different things about the most important skills in the Australian workplace, but from what I've observed and experienced, your qualifications can only get you so far. Australians put more weight on relationships and attitudes (soft skills) than technical knowledge and drafting skills (hard skills). Totoo yung sinasabi nila na people get their jobs through connections/networks here in Australia. It's not just about what you know, but who you know. Aussies are more likely to hire an applicant who knows someone already working in the company (referral basis) than a total nobody. The lack of connections is the biggest disadvantage to new migrants, but that is the reality.

Thank you po for this insight. Now I better understand the weight and range of a local experience.

I'm planning to move in Australia alone with no immediate relatives or any connections. Pero I'll try to gain contacts, in the same field as I am, thru friends of friends or linkedin for possible referral or job opportunities.

11/06/2021 - Preparation of Initial Documents (including 3 Career Episode Essays, SS etc.)
    30/10/2021 - PTE Academic Exam & Results ( L:90 | R:83 | S:90| W:90 ) Superior, First-Time Test Taker
    5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
    6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

@mamertz said:

@EricTC said:

Thank you!

Hi,

I am a Structural engineer here in Australia.

From your line of asking, I can sense na nasa design/engineering/consultancy side ka. If that is the case, the most important codes are AS4100, AS3600, AS1170. There is one particular book that helped me: Australian Guidebook for structural engineers. If you have the time, you can start doing some self-study. Makakatulong yun.

As for software study, medyo mahirap mag-suggest kasi each company has their own preferred software. Pero most of my consultants are using SpaceGass. We use Autodesk Robot Str. Analysis in our company.

Tama po ang mga comments ni athelene. MEdyo mahirap maghanap ng engineering-related work sa simula kasi employers put so much emphasis on local experience. For more senior roles, they will even look for state registrations/licenses. Soft skills appear to have more weight than technical skills (at least during the hiring process).

Maybe my personal experience here can paint the picture. Share ko na rin.

When applying, I was told na it would be best to submit CVs that are specifically-tailored for the job description. So that means, meron akong multiple versions ng CV ko, each one highlighting what aspects of my experiences are most applicable to the particular job I am applying. I also have written a lot of cover letters.

I applied for around 80 jobs before getting two interviews. In both of my interviews, there are no technical questions. Mostly on the management aspects ang mga tanong. To be clear, none of these two companies are consultancy firms. I can imagine na kung sa consultancy ka mag-apply, for sure madaming technical questions.

I became successful on my second interview. I later on discovered that there were around 20 more engineers who applied, 5 of which were also shortlisted and interviewed. Despite lacking "local experience" they took their chance on me, because I have handled the interview better compared to others. This was the insider's feedback I obtained when I got the job. By the way, this job is in Tasmania where there is lesser competition.

May kakilala ako, engineer din siya. Pero he started as a draftsman. You may want to consider that "pathway" of gaining local experience. Pero all in all, you can take any job muna kung unsuccessful ka sa mga unang tries mo. Doesn't matter kung ano pa yan, kahit pa nga volunteering work pa e. Mahalaga may mailalagay ka sa CV and ma-highlight mo ang core skills mo.

One piece of advise: start mo na makipag-network within Australia. Kung may kakilala/kaibigan/kamag-anak ka, take good advantage of that. Mahalaga ang connections, as athelene stated. Ganun ang kalakaran na nakikita ko sa kumpanya ko and sa ilang companies na nababalitaan ko.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Do not be discouraged. Ito yung mga bagay na siguradong pagdadaanan ng bawat new migrant. Pero one day, you will find that It was all worth it.

For anything, shoot me a message. Try ko mag-bigay ng payo kung kaya ko.

Thanks po for this detailed response. Opo, I'm praticing structural engineering design. 4 yrs using NSCP/ACI and almost 2 yrs with Eurocodes (with my present employment). Kaya natanong ko rin po yung sa codes since nahirapan po ako magadjust from American to Eurocode before. As much as possible, naisip ko pong better na adjusted na ako sa Aus code dito palang sa Pinas para living adjustment nalang problema ko nyan.

Medyo nagulat po ako with the 80 job applications with 2 interviews. Ok lang po tanungin if ano pong job yung nakuha nyo at first try?

In terms of location, preferred ko rin po sa Tasmania kasi mas peaceful (based on my own research). Looking forward, dyan ako mapunta on my first arrival.

• mamertzmamertz Burnie, Tasmania

Hi Eric,

Nasa mining industry ako. Structural engineer pa rin naman ang job description ko, pero since nasa client side ako, very less ang engineering compared noong nasa consultancy ako (more than 15 years as design engineer). Of course, I still deal with maintenance/operation issues kaya napa-practice ko pa rin kahit papaano ang design ko.

Nakaka-relate ako sa "code familiarity" concerns mo kasi napagdaanan ko din yan several times sa career ko. Imagine the shifts from NSCP/ACI/AISC, to British Codes, to European Codes, and now to Australian Codes.

If mapadpad ka sa Tasmania, some of the consultants we deal with are based in the main cities like Launceston and Hobart. You may want to try applying sa mga companies in those areas.

Ang disadvantage ng Tasmania is less ang engineering oppurtunities here when compared to the mainland states.

Ang advantage naman, dahil mas kaunti ang tao, less ang competition. And the oppurtunity of being hired in un-related jobs seems to be also high. And syempre, peaceful dito and madaming tanawin.

caspersushi24Captain_AEricTC

March 21, 2018 Registered for IELTS
    April 20, 21, 2018 Took IELTS
    May 3, 2018 Received IELTS results L8 R9 W7 S7

Jun 8, 2018 Submitted EA application
    Jul 9,2018 Received positive outcome

Jul 9 , 2018 Submitted EOI - 65 points

Dec 19, 2018 Took PTE
    Dec 20, 2018 received Results L81, R90, S90, W85

Jan 8, 2019 Updated EOI - 75 points
    Jan 11, 2019 invited

Feb 9, 2019 Visa application submitted
    Aprill 11, 2019 Praise God. Direct Grant.

Nov 9, 2019 Big Move

@mamertz said:
    Hi Eric,

Nasa mining industry ako. Structural engineer pa rin naman ang job description ko, pero since nasa client side ako, very less ang engineering compared noong nasa consultancy ako (more than 15 years as design engineer). Of course, I still deal with maintenance/operation issues kaya napa-practice ko pa rin kahit papaano ang design ko.

Nakaka-relate ako sa "code familiarity" concerns mo kasi napagdaanan ko din yan several times sa career ko. Imagine the shifts from NSCP/ACI/AISC, to British Codes, to European Codes, and now to Australian Codes.

If mapadpad ka sa Tasmania, some of the consultants we deal with are based in the main cities like Launceston and Hobart. You may want to try applying sa mga companies in those areas.

Ang disadvantage ng Tasmania is less ang engineering oppurtunities here when compared to the mainland states.

Ang advantage naman, dahil mas kaunti ang tao, less ang competition. And the oppurtunity of being hired in un-related jobs seems to be also high. And syempre, peaceful dito and madaming tanawin.

Thank you po for this info.