Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

TSS 482 dependent or Student Visa?

ia.pia.p ManilaPosts: 17Member

Hi! Just wanted to hear a different insight

My husband's visa was granted, it was a 482 Visa (Short Term). I know a lot would say na mag dependent visa nalang ako but for personal reasons (we're just newly weds), I felt lang like I wanted to study nalang on my own and not just wait for my husband to get me...

Has anyone heard some couples na nasa Australia with different visas? Or pag yung case ba namin, Visa 482 si hubby and ako applying for a Student Visa, will that affect my application? will that be a red flag for the case officer?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• cuccicucci NSW

Getting a student visa would mean doing so under your own merit. While there would not be any conflict with having separate visa categories the major difference between a student visa and as 482 (subsequent/dependent) visa would be in cases like you would like to find work. 482 would provide you full working rights while student visa would only allow 20 hours per week.

I am not sure if there is big difference in processing times between the two... in case, you're considering which would be processed faster but the requirements would be fewer with the 482.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    07.2016 | IELTS
    01.2017 | Applied to AHPRA
    04.2017 | received Letter of Referral
    09.2017 | finished BP
    11.2017 | AHPRA Registration / Employment Offer
    12.2017 | Lodged 457 Visa Application (onshore) / ANMAC Assessment
    01.2018 | 457 Visa granted / Received positive ANMAC Assessment / Submitted EOI

04.11.2019 | Received Employer Nomination
    04.26.2019 | Submitted Visa application (186 DE)
    05.06.2019 | CO contact for medical exams
    05.09.2019 | Visa Granted (186 DE)

17.09.2021 | Application for Citizenship
    21.03.2022 | Citizenship exam, interview and approval
    02.07.2022 | Citizenship Ceremony
    (Thank you Lord!!!)

21.03.2023 | Citizenship interview, exam and approval of dependents
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

• ia.pia.p Manila

@cucci said:
    Getting a student visa would mean doing so under your own merit. While there would not be any conflict with having separate visa categories the major difference between a student visa and as 482 (subsequent/dependent) visa would be in cases like you would like to find work. 482 would provide you full working rights while student visa would only allow 20 hours per week.

I am not sure if there is big difference in processing times between the two... in case, you're considering which would be processed faster but the requirements would be fewer with the 482.

Thank you so much for answering! I'm still contemplating whether I will push through with the student visa but I just thought of it din kasi under STSOL si spouse (Cook), and his employer is requiring him to go through a 6-mo probation before they can extend the sponsorship to me/allow him to lodge a subsequent entrant/dependent visa. That means by the time we lodge my dependent visa na, that will just leave me 1.5 years of visa validity or less nalang. :-( unlike with SV, if I get a 2 year course plus ma-grant ang visa before June 30, 2023, i get a visa validity of 2 years for SV + 18 mos of graduate visa regardless of the course I took.

tska parang natatakot ako siguro! kasi i heard lang (not super sure if true) na pag wala kang australian certificate o degree, mahihirapan akong kumuha ng trabaho... hay ang hirap!! hahaha

• cuccicucci NSW

@ia.p said:
    Thank you so much for answering! I'm still contemplating whether I will push through with the student visa but I just thought of it din kasi under STSOL si spouse (Cook), and his employer is requiring him to go through a 6-mo probation before they can extend the sponsorship to me/allow him to lodge a subsequent entrant/dependent visa. That means by the time we lodge my dependent visa na, that will just leave me 1.5 years of visa validity or less nalang. :-( unlike with SV, if I get a 2 year course plus ma-grant ang visa before June 30, 2023, i get a visa validity of 2 years for SV + 18 mos of graduate visa regardless of the course I took.

tska parang natatakot ako siguro! kasi i heard lang (not super sure if true) na pag wala kang australian certificate o degree, mahihirapan akong kumuha ng trabaho... hay ang hirap!! hahaha

Well, that could be a consideration as a fallback para pwede mong dependent si hubby mo in case di ma work out ang probationary period nya sa current work. Strange lang na nagpapaantay ang employer considering na wala naman na silang additional expense to extend the sponsorship to dependent(s).

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    07.2016 | IELTS
    01.2017 | Applied to AHPRA
    04.2017 | received Letter of Referral
    09.2017 | finished BP
    11.2017 | AHPRA Registration / Employment Offer
    12.2017 | Lodged 457 Visa Application (onshore) / ANMAC Assessment
    01.2018 | 457 Visa granted / Received positive ANMAC Assessment / Submitted EOI

04.11.2019 | Received Employer Nomination
    04.26.2019 | Submitted Visa application (186 DE)
    05.06.2019 | CO contact for medical exams
    05.09.2019 | Visa Granted (186 DE)

17.09.2021 | Application for Citizenship
    21.03.2022 | Citizenship exam, interview and approval
    02.07.2022 | Citizenship Ceremony
    (Thank you Lord!!!)

21.03.2023 | Citizenship interview, exam and approval of dependents
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

• ia.pia.p Manila

@cucci said:

@ia.p said:

Well, that could be a consideration as a fallback para pwede mong dependent si hubby mo in case di ma work out ang probationary period nya sa current work. Strange lang na nagpapaantay ang employer considering na wala naman na silang additional expense to extend the sponsorship to dependent(s).

Kaya nga po :( I think ang worry nila is baka hindi mag perform well si spouse sa duties niya if kasama daw ang dependent... Haha! Nag search din ako, we can do DIY naman kaso we need the letter from the employer din kasi to which they said nga after 6 mos. :( Haysss, thanks so much for answering po. Lito na din ako sa gagawin hahaha!

• GA88GA88 Philippines

Hello. Magtatanong lang po sana ako sa mga nagrant ng visa 482 (medium term) na engineers, requirement po ba sa application ang positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia? Wala po kasing nakasaad dun sa nabasa ko sa website ni australia immi, parang puro skilled trades lang po ang may requirement na magpa-assess. Thank you po. Sana may makasagot. :)

• kyzache06kyzache06 Posts: 1Member

@cucci said:

Hi, I'm currently in this situation as you posted. If you won't mind, may I ask what did you pursue a subsequent visa or you opt for student visa? Hope you I could hear from you soon. Thank you. :)