Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Options for becoming a PR

Hi guys! I am planning to migrate and/or work in Australia. However, I know that I still need to study again because my current skill here in the Phils. is not included in SOL. Now, I plan to take up Accounting in Australia but not sure if I should take up a Bachelor's degree or a Masteral? Which one of the two will give me more chance in getting a PR?

Thank you so much for your time!

Comments

• kristelmae_kristelmae_ Cebu
    Hi Sheenica, I am also thinking the same thing. However, when I decided to apply, I took up masters 'cause my bachelors degree was acknowledged. I don't know if there is any difference in getting a PR, but I do know that it depends on how long your study program is. In other words, I suppose the longer you stay, the greater your chances are. For instance, my aunt advised me that I should take up the 2 year masters program, since I will be granted an additional 2 years to stay. That is up to 4 years, therefore, I will be qualified for PR since one of their requirements is to live in Australia for a minimum of 4 years, or so I heard.

I am currently waiting for my full offer letter in one university right now, and applying at a university in sydney. I am still confused though if I should go for a year or 2 years worth of study program.
  • SheenicaSheenica Posts: 4Member
    @kristelmae_ Hi Kristelmae, does the 485 visa grants the additional 2 yrs. to stay? Good luck with your offer letter :) it seems that you're ahead of me cause I have yet to accomplish my ielts exam hehe
  • clzapclzap Philippines
    @kristelmae_ Hello, how much show money is required for your Masteral?
    @Sheenica yeah, started planning it since last year, however, I just took the ielts exam last april 8. I suggest to take the ielts exam first so the application will be smoother. Just aim for 7 and above in all categories, and 7.5 min overall band score since that is the average score most universities require.

From what I hear, the additional two years is actually included already. I also heard you can apply for postwork study visa, though, I don't see the need for it if the embassy will allow extensions. If your masters program is 1 year, they will only grant you additional 3 months though. That is why I am kind of confused if I should go for a year or 2 years.
    @clzap yeah, about that, when I started applying, the agency told me that if you apply for masters program, there won't be a need for a show money. But, for some reason, now that I am preparing my documents, they told me that the sponsor's show money should be 1.5-1.7M. I have yet to clarify it since initially they said that there is no need for that. What program are you planning to apply?
  • clzapclzap Philippines
    @kristelmae_ I originally intend to pursue a Master of Finance and ACCA but then they warned me that I need a show money which is the same as you have mentioned. I just lodged my EOI for work just to enter the country and probably do study and work at the same time :)
    @clzap yeah me too, anything to get me there, but my best option was to study. Since I don't have much work experience. Although, my other option is to aim for a band score of 8 in each category in ielts, which was a challenge just so I can earn 20 points in the visa. If I could've, I probably would've went as a skilled worker. So right now, I am hoping that I can transition my student visa to work visa when I get there.
  • clzapclzap Philippines
    @kristelmae_ God Bless to your journey! Fingerscrossed!
    @clzap likewise! All the best to our endeavors!
  • agentKamsagentKams Toowoomba
    485 postgraduate visa is only offered for higher education programs, such as bachelor degrees and masters program, and most importantly the award should satisfy the Australian study requirement which is 2 years or 92 weeks study as per cricos. Please be aware that there are changes to temporary work visa here, in which applicants need to have 2 year experience before they qualify. so if your transitioning from a different work background think twice.

Timeline: Student Visa Subclass 573 (Masters)
    06 July 2015: Visa Grant
    April 2018: Uni Graduation

Timeline: Permanent Visa (189) Accountant 221111
    18 April 2018: ITA received - Visa 189
    04 May 2018 : Lodged Visa Application - Visa 189
    29 Aug 2018 - First CO Contact - PCC Qatar (partner)
    9 Jan 2019 - 2nd CO Contact - penal waiver
    18 Jan 2019 - Updated immiaccount with penal waiver
    29 Jan 2019 - Forwarded PCC to gsm.allocated email
    8 Feb 2019 - Visa Grant - Finally!!

Timeline: Citizenship
    July 2020: Application lodgment
    May 2021: Citizenship Exam
    Feb 2022: Oi! Oi! Oi! Aussie na din sa wakas!

@kristelmae_ Hi! What Masteral program are you planning to apply? And is there any assurance that we can get a work visa and PR after we graduate?
  • CasseyCassey Melbourne, Australia
    @Sheenica
    Unfortunately, staying in Australia longer or even studying here doesn't guarantee anything. Before you come over to Au and study make sure that your nominated occupation is in SOL/CSOL and that you'd be reaching the points required for migration. Because if its not on the list, you won't be able to apply for a PR Visa and you'll just be wasting your time and money.

June 16, 2013 Arrival in Melbourne (AGED CARE)
    Nov 12, 2014 Changed Visa Subclass (572->573) and Course
    Nov 13, 2014 573 Visa Approved
    Mar 2015 Nursing Conversion Course (Deakin Uni) started
    April 13, 2016 Lodged EOI thru Skill Select
    April 27, 2016 Received invitation to apply for Visa 189 (Nurse)
    May 2, 2016 Lodged application for 189 Visa (Onshore)
    May 11, 2016 CO contacted for Form 80/Medicals of daughter
    June 17, 2016 189 VISA GRANTED Thank you my amazing God :)

Dec14, 2017 Citizenship application
    March 21, 2019 Citizenship Ceremony :)

"Happy is the person who learns to wait as he prays and never loses his patience, for God's time is the best time."

@Cassey Thanks a lot! Still have queries though.. After I graduate, should I get a 485 visa in the mean time while lodging my PR visa? Or it's not required? I'm planning to transition my student visa to PR visa when I get there.
    edited May 2017
    @Sheenica No worries, it would all depend on your personal circumstances and not every one who studied in Au is eligible for the 485 visa. To check your eligibility, you can see this link:
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/485-
    If you think that you'd be needing some more time to prepare for your PR Application (which most of the time is the case), it would be best to apply for 485, though its not obligatory.
    Applying for PR takes time because before you can apply for it, you may need to undergo an assessment for your skills, registration, etc. which may take weeks or even months to comply depending on your chosen occupation. You would also need to wait to be invited which again can take weeks or months before you can actually lodge a PR Visa application. Another good thing with 485, is it gives you time to look for a job and work full time.
    Without a valid visa, how can you stay here in Au and process all those. You can always lodge your PR anytime even if you have the 485 anyway. :)
    You're actually lucky if you're eligible for 485 because that was our dilemma before. We needed a visa to transition our student visa to PR.

"Happy is the person who learns to wait as he prays and never loses his patience, for God's time is the best time."

• clzapclzap Philippines
    @Cassey as one of the requirements says 'hold an eligible visa', does the tourist visa qualify for this one? I have already lodge my PR application however, this stage takes months so I'm trying to find other ways to enter Aus.
    edited May 2017
    @clzap Temporary Graduate Visa (485) as the name implies are for international students and not for Tourists if that's what you meant by your question. One of the requirements is to be here in Au during the time of application otherwise you will not be eligible. It also requires the applicant to hold a student visa in the last 6months and to have met the Australian Visa requirement in the last 6mos.

• clzapclzap Philippines
    Thanks @Cassey !
    @clzap No worries, :)

• pongpong Sydney
    @Cassey,hi madam perhaps u have an idea about my question.

My wife's studies wil be completed this june and we'll definitely go for graduate visa first to extend our stay in australia but while waiting for graduate visa result which takes 2-3 months was thinking to apply for at the same time.

would there be any issue/conflict in visas if we do that?

Or just wait for the graduate visa approval first before we apply for pr?

Thanks for you reply in advance
  • pongpong Sydney
    @Cassey,hi madam perhaps u have an idea about my question.

My wife's studies wil be completed this june and we'll definitely go for graduate visa first to extend our stay in australia but while waiting for graduate visa result which takes 2-3 months was thinking to apply for pr application at the same time.

would there be any issue/conflict in visas if we do that?

Or just wait for the graduate visa approval first before we apply for pr?

Thanks for you reply in advance

Leave a Comment
    pong

PREVIEWSAVE DRAFTPOST COMMENT
    NEW DISCUSSION
    edited May 2017
    @pong It should be fine to apply for PR while on 485. That's what some of our friends did. What you need to prioritise is how you are going to stay here in Australia. After her graduation, she might need to wait for few weeks to receive her Uni qualification and she might need to undergo skills assessment for her PR application and You can't just apply for PR because you still need to apply through skill select and wait to be invited before you can lodge a PR Visa application.

• clzapclzap Philippines
    @Cassey Hi again, is it advisable to enter Oz through TAFE courses? This will be under student visa? My friend suggested this one. She's thinking we may be able to apply jobs suited to our profession while we are waiting for our invitations.
    edited May 2017
    @clzap You can apply for student visa however you're only allowed to work 40hrs/fortnight. If your education qualification overseas is recognized here in Australia, then you can work here in your chosen field. It would all depend on your purpose and your finances as well.

• clzapclzap Philippines
    @Cassey yes, my bachelor's degree is recognized in Australia. I'm considering on pursuing the CA path which I have yet to receive a feedback to the subjects that I must complete. Thanks Cassey!
    @clzap Good on you, all the best! :)

• SenorAndresSenorAndres Manila
    @agentKams

Eligible qualifications
    For the purposes of applying for a subclass 485 under the Graduate Work stream, the course/courses must have resulted in a degree, diploma or trade qualification. For example, a student may complete two consecutive Diploma level courses and satisfy the Australian study requirement under the Graduate Work stream, provided the other components of the requirement are satisfied.

Source: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/485/requirements-graduate-work-stream.aspx
  • agentKamsagentKams Toowoomba
    @SenorAndres sorry, don't know why you tagged me on this.

Timeline: Student Visa Subclass 573 (Masters)
    06 July 2015: Visa Grant
    April 2018: Uni Graduation

Timeline: Permanent Visa (189) Accountant 221111
    18 April 2018: ITA received - Visa 189
    04 May 2018 : Lodged Visa Application - Visa 189
    29 Aug 2018 - First CO Contact - PCC Qatar (partner)
    9 Jan 2019 - 2nd CO Contact - penal waiver
    18 Jan 2019 - Updated immiaccount with penal waiver
    29 Jan 2019 - Forwarded PCC to gsm.allocated email
    8 Feb 2019 - Visa Grant - Finally!!

Timeline: Citizenship
    July 2020: Application lodgment
    May 2021: Citizenship Exam
    Feb 2022: Oi! Oi! Oi! Aussie na din sa wakas!