Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Incomplete masters- IPA/ICAA successful assessment?

retroliferetrolife North RydePosts: 9Member
edited December 2013 in Working and skilled visas
Hi guys!

I am planning to have my qualifications assessed soon by either the IPA (Institute of Public Accountants) or the ICAA.

Here's my case:
I have a Bachelor degree from the Philippines that needs to be assessed as equivalent to an Australian bachelor. I am currently completing a 2 year masters degree in accounting (16-subject) in Melbourne. To date, I have successfully passed the 12 accounting subjects required by the IPA.

My question:
For anyone who was in the same situation or understands my case, were you able to apply and successfully gain a positive assessment even if you haven't finished your masters degree but have an Australian equivalent bachelor degree and have all the required 12 core accounting subjects?

I've contacted IPA and ICAA about this and they told me that they will consider all my subjects to date but there's no guarantee that I'll receive a positive outcome. I figured that their response was a pretty generic one so I'm really interested on your experiences and am happy to hear any suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• rolly04rolly04 Bundoora
    My view:

From IPA website, it says "Please note that all bodies apply the same criteria when completing a qualifications assessment."

Sa CPA Australia, which is one of the assessing bodies, master's degree is only relevant when applying for temporary visa (meaning either sa bachelor degree or master degree mo napag-aralan ang mga core knowledge subjects). Pero pag PR visa, kailangan sa bachelor degree mo nakuha yung at least 9 na core knowledge areas.

So my question is saan mo nakuha yung at least 9 na core knowledge areas, sa bachelor degree or sa master degree?

Pag sa master degree mo nakuha, baka for temporary visa ka dapat magpa-assess.

I'm only expressing my view based sa understanding ko sa mga criteria nakalagay sa website ng CPA Australia. As noted earlier, all assessing bodies for accountants apply the same criteria.

CPA (Australia)
    Chartered Accountant (Singapore)
    CPA (Philippines)

@retrolife just my view, i may be wrong.

CPA (Australia)
    CPA (Philippines)

• retroliferetrolife North Ryde
    Hi Rolly04,

Thanks for your insights!

I received the 12 core knowledge areas from my Masters degree. My bachelor degree is in science so it's completely different.

I'm pretty certain that what I majored in for my Bachelor degree is irrelevant so long as it is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor. Now they'll be looking at the subjects I've completed for my masters and assess them against the 12 core knowledge areas. I have finished all the 12 required subjects. However I am currently enrolled in the 16 subject course (12 core areas + 4 electives not directly related to the accounting). My main concern really is whether they would accept my yet incomplete masters degree even if I have finished the 12 subjects. It's a bit confusing but I hope I made sense!

Also I'm applying for PR not for TR.
    Medyo tricky nga situation mo.

Info lifted from IPA website, baka makatulong sa query mo:

"To receive a successful assessment of your qualification, you must have:
    A qualification (with a sequence in accounting or relevant field) from an accredited educational institution which is assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelors degree; and The curriculum of your qualification(s) must be comparable to the curriculum of an Australian Bachelors degree in 9 of the following 12 core areas, including the four that are compulsory for each of the nominated occupations"

"Please note that only a full 12 and 16 unit Master of Professional Accounting program, without exemptions, from an accredited Australian University is accepted as equivalent to a relevant first degree."

CPA (Australia)
    CPA (Philippines)

• quejadoquejado Posts: 9Member
    Hi Sir/Maam,

BSA graduate po ako pero Non-CPA but been working for over 7 years as an OFW Accountant. Planning to apply for 189 or study/work (if di kaya ng points required).

Regarding po sa IPA assessing body, yung Core knowledge Areas lang po ba yung main basis nila to give you a favorable assessment? Kasi po nagsubmit ako ng CV and OTR sa isang agency sa Pinas, they say that my degree is just for a Section 2 University or Associate Degree lang.

Dahil dun, I am thinking twice if i will still continue with the IPA assessment. May chance po kaya na positive outcome kahit ung Core Knowledge Areas lang ang meron ako?

Your thoughts po.

Thanks in advance
  • RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,689Member, Administrator, Moderator
    > @quejado said:
    > Hi Sir/Maam,
    >
    > BSA graduate po ako pero Non-CPA but been working for over 7 years as an OFW Accountant. Planning to apply for 189 or study/work (if di kaya ng points required).
    >
    > Regarding po sa IPA assessing body, yung Core knowledge Areas lang po ba yung main basis nila to give you a favorable assessment? Kasi po nagsubmit ako ng CV and OTR sa isang agency sa Pinas, they say that my degree is just for a Section 2 University or Associate Degree lang.
    >
    > Dahil dun, I am thinking twice if i will still continue with the IPA assessment. May chance po kaya na positive outcome kahit ung Core Knowledge Areas lang ang meron ako?
    >
    > Your thoughts po.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

Your qualifications must also equate to an Australian bachelor degree. Unfortunately, if yours is equivalent to an associate degree, you won’t meet the requirement unless your average GPA is between 1.00 and 2.00.
    edited September 2019
    > @retrolife said:
    > Hi guys!
    >
    > I am planning to have my qualifications assessed soon by either the IPA (Institute of Public Accountants) or the ICAA.
    >
    > Here's my case:
    > I have a Bachelor degree from the Philippines that needs to be assessed as equivalent to an Australian bachelor. I am currently completing a 2 year masters degree in accounting (16-subject) in Melbourne. To date, I have successfully passed the 12 accounting subjects required by the IPA.
    >
    > My question:
    > For anyone who was in the same situation or understands my case, were you able to apply and successfully gain a positive assessment even if you haven't finished your masters degree but have an Australian equivalent bachelor degree and have all the required 12 core accounting subjects?
    >
    > I've contacted IPA and ICAA about this and they told me that they will consider all my subjects to date but there's no guarantee that I'll receive a positive outcome. I figured that their response was a pretty generic one so I'm really interested on your experiences and am happy to hear any suggestions on how to go about this.
    >
    > Thanks so much!

You need to have finished a qualification. Check with your uni if they can hand you a postgraduate certificate or diploma for the units you’ve done so far. If they could and if within that qualification which you’ll be awarded for, you need to demonstrate that you’ve covered the required units.

You need to be mindful that you need to meet 2 requirements 1.at least an Australian bachelor degree or equivalent 2. You have done the required core units.
    edited September 2019
    > @rolly04 said:
    > My view:
    >
    > From IPA website, it says "Please note that all bodies apply the same criteria when completing a qualifications assessment."
    >
    > Sa CPA Australia, which is one of the assessing bodies, master's degree is only relevant when applying for temporary visa (meaning either sa bachelor degree or master degree mo napag-aralan ang mga core knowledge subjects). Pero pag PR visa, kailangan sa bachelor degree mo nakuha yung at least 9 na core knowledge areas.
    >
    > So my question is saan mo nakuha yung at least 9 na core knowledge areas, sa bachelor degree or sa master degree?
    >
    > Pag sa master degree mo nakuha, baka for temporary visa ka dapat magpa-assess.
    >
    > I'm only expressing my view based sa understanding ko sa mga criteria nakalagay sa website ng CPA Australia. As noted earlier, all assessing bodies for accountants apply the same criteria.

Masters degree is always relevantf. It has nothing to do with visas. I’m not sure where you this information from.

It doesn’t matter when and from which qualification you’ve undertook the core units from.
  • quejadoquejado Posts: 9Member
    @RheaMARN1171933 hi miss rhea. Du happen to know if Yung 7 core knowledge areas lang po kaya yung main basis ni IPA to get a positive outcome?

Thanks.