Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Student Visa 2021 Intake

Anyone who plans to study and/or will pursue their studies on 2021?

Given the current situation and the high probability that borders will still be closed early next year, is distance learning worth it?

The only reason that we’re considering temporary online study is to increase our points for PR.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Comments

• matthewozmatthewoz Posts: 21Member

Go for it! I'm about to lodge my student visa. They said borders will re-open early next year just in time for my 2nd semester. I'm starting my course remotely next month (so I get to keep my job here in PH for a couple of months) but I will be continuing on campus in Au next year for about 18-20 months so I will still meet the required 16 months physically present in Australia to get that AU study points.

I think the online component will only be counted towards post-graduate visa calculation. This is what the school told me so I guess you still have to be in AU for the Australian Study requirement for a PR visa application (e.g., 189/190)

"The Department of Home Affairs has announced that the online component of your studies will be recognised in your Post-Study Work Rights calculation."

I'm already at 85 points at the moment but the way things are going with the pandemic, AU recession/rebuilding, and the accumulation of EOI submissions that were not processed (lot's of higher-pointers for sure ahead of me now), there's a good chance that I won't be invited before my EOI expires in Dec 2021 so I decided to take an action (albeit an expensive one) just to increase my chances of getting a PR. To each his own, your situation may be different but for me, I'm 37 yrs old now so I have to get invited before my age points go down, 3 years from now, otherwise it will all be for nothing. I'm not taking any chances.

@shewolf30 said:

Given the current situation and the high probability that borders will still be closed early next year, is distance learning worth it?

The only reason that we’re considering temporary online study is to increase our points for PR.

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

Hello, kapag ba distance learning e full time semester ba? As in lahat ng subjects available? Naisip ko lang kung part time e advantage na mejo onte muna yung bayad sa tuition for now.

• Ed510Ed510 Quezon City

@matthewoz

We are exactly same situation except I'm much older.
    I have 85 points for Visa491 and I'm working on my SV application for Feb 2021 semester. If ever lang the borders will open. Pasok ka dun hoping for my chance of landing the onshore application.
    2020-2021 FY might not be favoring my application but maybe 2021-2022 is a bigger change for me.
    While there, I can accommodate residency at work experience na pweding mag add ng points sa provincial criteria.

Pero by 2022 I will loss my 10 points. So like you, I'm taking my chances. Sayang ang years of preparation at gastos.

@matthewoz said:
    Go for it! I'm about to lodge my student visa. They said borders will re-open early next year just in time for my 2nd semester. I'm starting my course remotely next month (so I get to keep my job here in PH for a couple of months) but I will be continuing on campus in Au next year for about 18-20 months so I will still meet the required 16 months physically present in Australia to get that AU study points.

I think the online component will only be counted towards post-graduate visa calculation. This is what the school told me so I guess you still have to be in AU for the Australian Study requirement for a PR visa application (e.g., 189/190)

"The Department of Home Affairs has announced that the online component of your studies will be recognised in your Post-Study Work Rights calculation."

I'm already at 85 points at the moment but the way things are going with the pandemic, AU recession/rebuilding, and the accumulation of EOI submissions that were not processed (lot's of higher-pointers for sure ahead of me now), there's a good chance that I won't be invited before my EOI expires in Dec 2021 so I decided to take an action (albeit an expensive one) just to increase my chances of getting a PR. To each his own, your situation may be different but for me, I'm 37 yrs old now so I have to get invited before my age points go down, 3 years from now, otherwise it will all be for nothing. I'm not taking any chances.

@shewolf30 said:

ANZSCO 233411 (Electronics Engineer)
    Age:25, English Test:10, Qualification:15, Experience:15, Partner English:0, FS:0 |total: 65
    Visa 190: 70 points, Visa 491: 80 points

00-Sep-12 - Applied for Australian Student Visa denied.
    00-Apr-15 - IELTS (L6.5, R6.5, W6, S7) overall 6.5
    00-Jun -15 - NZQA level 6, wife's is level 5. Cannot proceed to New Zealand migration.
    15-Jul -19 - signed contract with an agency for Australia GSM
    10-Sep-19 - 1st PTE Result ( L65, R58, S70, W77), disappointed with points
    19-Nov-20 - Submitted EA Assessment
    11-Feb-20 - 2nd PTE Result ( L78, R71, S90, W74)
    19-Mar-20 - EA Positive Assessment : Thank you Lord!
    03-Apr -20 - Submit EOI (Visa 190/491: 70/80 pts)
    01-Jun -20 - Partner is taking the IELTS Review
    **-***-20 - Partner English Test
    **-***-20 - Australian Immigration closed for offshore application.

19-Sept-20-Apply for Australian Student Visa [Approved]
    02-Nov-20 - CoE from the College
    19-Dec-20 - Lodge Student Visa application
    14-Jan- 21 - Medical Examination
    17-Feb-21 - Health Undertaking
    24-Feb-21 - Student Visa Approved
    ---------------- To God be the Glory
    **-***-21- Waiting for Australian boarders to open

• shewolf30shewolf30 Posts: 9Member

Woah! We’re on the same boat! I’m turning 37 early next year with the same points as you. Hence, I started this thread to gain insights from those who have the same case as ours. We’re aiming for Feb 2021 intake. The online setup is advantageous for us as I get to keep my job while studying. The only thing that makes me worry is the condition to be physically present in australia for 16 months during the duration of the study to claim AU study points.

Since we’re talking about study visa, is there anyone who’s currently taking or will be taking Master of IT? I’d be eager to know especially those from Adelaide.

xiaoxue
  • claireangclaireang Posts: 26Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for this thread and sharing your insights. I am currently at 85 points for visa 189 and 90 points for visa 190 at VIC. My husband and I are rooting for visa 190 because of our families ans friends residing in Melbourne City. Our EOI lodged last Aug 2020 only. I am currently 32y and will also be losing 5points next year by Sept 2021 if I turn 33y. With current pandemic and Au immigration landscape for FY 2020 to 2021, it got me thinking if it's a good investment to pursue student visa with spouse working visa in a univ in melbourne for the mean time while waiting for FY 2021 to 2022. If ever malose ko yung 5 points next year from age bracket, how will my studying boost our current points for visa 190? I am from Engineering background and thinking to take MS in Cloud Computing/ Engineering. Thanks in advance po for sharing any insights ans thoughts about this po :)

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

Nagiissue po ba sila ng student visa lately?

@xiaoxue said:
    Nagiissue po ba sila ng student visa lately?

Yes. May mga nakita akong post from various groups na na-grant Student visa nila. When are you planning to have your intake?

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@shewolf30 magpapasa pa lang ako ng Uni application. Maganda sana kung Feb intake pero kung wala pang flights i might defer to July na lang.

shewolf30
  • Ed510Ed510 Quezon City

Ako ongoing yung pag-apply ko sa regional college. By the end of this month, ready na lahat apply na kao ng SV.

xiaoxue

Age:25, English Test:10, Qualification:15, Experience:15, Partner English:0, FS:0 |total: 65

00-Jun -15 - NZQA level 6, wife's is level 5. Cannot proceed to New Zealand migration.

• Ed510Ed510 Quezon City

@shewolf30 said:
    Woah! We’re on the same boat! I’m turning 37 early next year with the same points as you. Hence, I started this thread to gain insights from those who have the same case as ours. We’re aiming for Feb 2021 intake. The online setup is advantageous for us as I get to keep my job while studying. The only thing that makes me worry is the condition to be physically present in australia for 16 months during the duration of the study to claim AU study points.

Since we’re talking about study visa, is there anyone who’s currently taking or will be taking Master of IT? I’d be eager to know especially those from Adelaide.

Ok yung online set-up kaso hindi sya favorable sa situation ko... demanding ang work so no time talaga mag online classes. Hindi kaya sa time schedule ko.

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@Ed510 said:

@shewolf30 said:

Ok yung online set-up kaso hindi sya favorable sa situation ko... demanding ang work so no time talaga mag online classes. Hindi kaya sa time schedule ko.

Hi Ed, thanks sa insight. Kaya nga iniisip ko pa lang kung pano ko pagsasabayin ung full time work and studies parang di ko kaya. Tapos since nasa Dubai ako anlayo ng time zone difference.

Mag apply na kayo ng student visa! Nagsubmit na ako kahapon. Hopefully walang maging problema. Sabi nung school namin nung isang araw malamang counted din ang online portion sa pagbilang ng 2 years AU Study requirements even sa PR visa so mas maganda since pwede pa magwork ng full time habang nasa pinas at nag oonline class. Tapos 3 years daw ang ibibigay na post graduate visa if ever since nasa regional kami.

Meron pala kong nabasa or napanood somewhere na possible end of next year pa mag re-open ang border. Hopefully hindi naman umabot ng ganung katagal!

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@matthewoz if i may ask, saang school po kayo?
    Oo nga po according sa mga news, late 2021 pa daw sila possibly magopen. So baka for July 2021 intake pa yon.

@xiaoxue said:
    @matthewoz if i may ask, saang school po kayo?
    Oo nga po according sa mga news, late 2021 pa daw sila possibly magopen. So baka for July 2021 intake pa yon.

ECU po sa Perth.

xiaoxue
  • imbaimba taguig

Hi everyone! I'm planning to apply to Macquarie University in Sydney for July 2021 intake and I would like to know your inputs or insights on this. I work in marketing and I'm looking into taking a double master's degree. Anyone here who knows or who has experience in studying at Macquarie? Or planning to study there also? I primarily choose this university because of the availability of the course I like and then I saw na they have an automatic scholarship (less 10K AUD on tuition per year) for students coming from ASEAN countries.

Also, any news on when the borders will open for students? I'm concerned na baka online class lang and available by 2021 and it will be very hard for me to afford the tuition and juggle studies from PH since I'm working full time. :(

xiaoxue
  • xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@imba

I think kung di pa rin open ang borders for international students by July 2021, may option ka naman to defer your studies for the next intake (January 2022)?

• RodSherRodSher Dubai

As per the speech of Josh Frydenberg - Federal treasurer last 8th October 2020 related to their budget for 2021 - international travels will be available late of 2021. To give you an insight, because I am currently studying on an online platform, and I applied for my SV last month - the processing time has changed from 4months to 57days - 5months and now from 62 days to 6 months. If you really wanted to study, you can start your processes because we don't know changes might happen later.

xiaoxue
  • xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@RodSher said:
    As per the speech of Josh Frydenberg - Federal treasurer last 8th October 2020 related to their budget for 2021 - international travels will be available late of 2021. To give you an insight, because I am currently studying on an online platform, and I applied for my SV last month - the processing time has changed from 4months to 57days - 5months and now from 62 days to 6 months. If you really wanted to study, you can start your processes because we don't know changes might happen later.

H Sir

How do you juggle work and study? Especially here in Dubai, there's 7 hour time difference. Paano po yun, gumigising kayo nang maaga to attend online classes?

OMG! 62 days to 6 months na nga ang processing! Buti na lang talaga online class lang muna ko kahit wala pang visa. Siguro naman by the time na mag open ang borders next year by July or later, ma grant na ang visa application ko.

@xiaoxue, madalas ata sa mga online classes, on-demand sya so hawak mo ang oras mo. May mga materials ka lang na i-aaccess like video recordings siguro ng prof or exercises, books, etc.

Sana lang talaga counted yung online portion sa Australian Study requirement kahit need ang minimum onshore study na 16 months para makakuha ng +5 points sa PR visa. Malabo na kong maka 16 months dun kung next year July or later pa mag reopen ang border at magstart na ko ngayon mag aral.

Buti pa yung ilang students sa Northern Territory nag pilot return na sila sa school nila sa CDU. Sana sumunod na din yung ibang mga schools.

xiaoxue
  • xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@matthewoz ah ok nga kung ganun flexible sa oras. nagpasa na ako ng applications. sana makakuha ng offer. :)

Tungkol naman sa gradual return of students, nabasa ko sa news na kinakausap ng Au yung mga countries na may low count ng covid cases para magkaroon ng travel bubble (e.g. Singapore, HK, SK, Japan). Kumusta naman kaya yung Pinas kung ganoon? Dito rin sa UAE malabo pa magkaroon ng travel bubble to AU kasi mataas pa rin yung daily cases dito.

https://www.imidaily.com/due-process/travel-bubbles-are-we-rebuilding-international-travel-from-the-ground-up/

• RodSherRodSher Dubai

@xiaoxue my classes are from 8 to 9 in the morning local time.

xiaoxue
  • RodSherRodSher Dubai

@matthewoz yes, all offshore students studying through an online platform are eligible to apply for a graduate visa. It was considered because of the pandemic.

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@matthewoz said:
    @xiaoxue, madalas ata sa mga online classes, on-demand sya so hawak mo ang oras mo. May mga materials ka lang na i-aaccess like video recordings siguro ng prof or exercises, books, etc.

How the online classes are conducted would depend on the school/uni. It will not necessarily be "on-demand." From my experience, lectures were held based on the timetable and not all of them were recorded. While attendance was not being recorded by the lecturer, I still had to attend/watch the class in real-time, as there would be no recording available to watch at a later time. So if the class is at 9 AM AEST, you have to log on to the online class at that time (yes, it will be hassle for people from a different timezone).

With my intensive/block mode classes (wherein we had 7 straight hours of lecture for a single subject/unit), handouts were provided a day or so before the lecture day, so we could ask questions to the lecturer during class hours (so it's still pretty interactive). For postgrad studies, there was no prescribed books, so we had to research and find our own supplementary books/reference materials. Hindi lahat ng materials/content ay ibibigay sayo (a.k.a. spoon-feeding). Whether on campus or online, this has been the case for me.

xiaoxuebaikenMyrna

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

Thanks @athelene for sharing your experiences. I am worried about juggling work and school so I will have to think about this. Let's see pa kung saan ako matanggap. Wala pa naman e. :D

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

To be clear for other people reading in this thread, I think @athelene is doing a design course, that is why a 7-hour lecture does not sound unusual. I guess it's a different story for other courses, let's say accounting or IT.

@xiaoxue said:
    To be clear for other people reading in this thread, I think @athelene is doing a design course, that is why a 7-hour lecture does not sound unusual. I guess it's a different story for other courses, let's say accounting or IT.

Any feedback from those who are currently taking Master of IT online and working fulltime at the same time?

edited October 2020

@xiaoxue said:
    Thanks @athelene for sharing your experiences. I am worried about juggling work and school so I will have to think about this. Let's see pa kung saan ako matanggap. Wala pa naman e. :D

The online study will really depend on the topic, if it's something familiar to you and mabilis ma-pick up. My background is Architecture, but I was studying topics bordering on Engineering, so I needed a lot more time to study and understand the lectures.

@xiaoxue said:

My degree is indeed related to design, but our lectures (lectures talaga, not design studio) were set up as block mode because the program was meant to accommodate the schedule of locals/domestic students who work full-time. So instead of having to come to campus every week for 2-3 hours for the whole semester, we just have five days of whole day classes on the weekends. Information overload of technical content talaga every time may class :D

xiaoxue

• altuser41altuser41 Taguig

Hello. Legal po ba yung ganitong scenario o kung may nakagawa na:

• Si wife magaaral ng Master's
    • si husband magsusubmit ng EOI (189/190) as primary
    • magsusubmit lang ng EOI after ma-grant ang SV ni wife.

261112 - Systems Analyst ( Age: 25 | Educ: 15 | Work: 15 | PTE - 20| Partner: 10 | NAATI: 5) Total: 90 pts.

08/2013 | Got interested in Australia Migration
    09/2013 - 01/2019 | Our plan somehow stagnated
    01/2019 | ACS Assessment: Submitted
    02/2019 | ACS Assessment: Positive Result
    09/2020 | PTE: Superior Score
    09/2020 | EOI Submitted (75)
    10/2020 | Partner PTE: Proficient (+5)
    10/2020 | EOI Updated (80)
    11/2020 | NAATI CCL Exam
    12/2020 | NAATI CCL Exam: Positive Result! (+5)
    12/2020 | EOI Updated (85)
    12/2020 | Partner's ACS Assessment: Submitted
    02/2021 | Partner's ACS Assessment: Positive Result (+5)
    ?? / ???? | ITA
    ?? / ???? | Visa Grant

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@athelene Thanks for clarifying. I see, so there are block mode classes during weekends. If that's the case, then that would probably be more manageable for me.

@xiaoxue said:
    @athelene Thanks for clarifying. I see, so there are block mode classes during weekends. If that's the case, then that would probably be more manageable for me.

It would depend on your school/uni, kung ano ang timetable na meron sila (depende din kasi sa availability ng lecturer). Sa amin puro weekend classes, pero baka sa school mo hindi. You'll have to ask your school kung ano yung typical schedule nila.