Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Student Visa Working Rights

Hi,

Regarding po ito sa working hours for students on holidays and semester breaks. Nakalagay kasi sa mga websites na nababasa ko ay like this or similar to this "If you are on a student visa, you are limited to working up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester and unlimited hours during university holidays."

Ibig sabihin ba nito na kapag mid-semester breaks and after class ay pwede na mag full time work? or after ng session (including exam period) pwede mag fulltime? Thank you.

Comments

• fgsfgs Cooper Basin

@Assilow said:
    Hi,

Regarding po ito sa working hours for students on holidays and semester breaks. Nakalagay kasi sa mga websites na nababasa ko ay like this or similar to this "If you are on a student visa, you are limited to working up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester and unlimited hours during university holidays."

Ibig sabihin ba nito na kapag mid-semester breaks and after class ay pwede na mag full time work? or after ng session (including exam period) pwede mag fulltime? Thank you.

On a Student visa, you are allowed to work more than 20 hrs a week only during semestral breaks.

• lunarcatlunarcat Posts: 376Member

Hello, I'm on a student visa and currently living in Sydney. During regular days, you are allowed to work 40 hours per fortnight (2 weeks) for example, week 1 30 hours, week 2 10 hours basta 40 hours lang pwedi.. or 20 hours weekly. Depende says basta di lagpas 40 hours per fortnight. During term break (meaning every after class may 2 weeks na break yan) allowed ka mag work full time and holidays (Christmas holiday pinakamataas aabot 6 weeks) allowed ka mag work full time or unlimited hours.

ANZSCO 261111 ICT Business Analyst | 189 - 75 | 190 (NSW) - 80 | 419 (NSW) - 90
    Oct 2019 - Started my journey to πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Feb 2020 - Arrived in Au - Thank you Lord!
    Oct 2022 - Granted Visa TSS 482 (Medium stream)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)
    15 June 2023 - Consulted IMES and Immi Visa
    22 June 2023 - Submitted all documents for ACS Skills Assessment
    05 July 2023 - Submitted additional doco to IMES
    27 July 2023 - Lodged ACS Assessment
    08 Sept 2023 - PTE (Proficient)
    25 Oct 2023 - Received ACS positive result after 13 weeks
    27 Oct 2023 - EOI Lodgement
    30 Oct 2023 - Corrected EOI for work experience claimed points
    --Waiting for pre-invite--

• lunarcatlunarcat Posts: 376Member

The agency (if you have one) will explain it to you further about the visa restrictions and kong ano lang pwedi sa visa mo. Other than that, you can check immigration website for further details.

Assilow

ANZSCO 261111 ICT Business Analyst | 189 - 75 | 190 (NSW) - 80 | 419 (NSW) - 90
    Oct 2019 - Started my journey to πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Feb 2020 - Arrived in Au - Thank you Lord!
    Oct 2022 - Granted Visa TSS 482 (Medium stream)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)
    15 June 2023 - Consulted IMES and Immi Visa
    22 June 2023 - Submitted all documents for ACS Skills Assessment
    05 July 2023 - Submitted additional doco to IMES
    27 July 2023 - Lodged ACS Assessment
    08 Sept 2023 - PTE (Proficient)
    25 Oct 2023 - Received ACS positive result after 13 weeks
    27 Oct 2023 - EOI Lodgement
    30 Oct 2023 - Corrected EOI for work experience claimed points
    --Waiting for pre-invite--

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited September 2020

@Assilow said:
    Hi,

The 40 hours per fortnight is counted based on the consecutive fortnight. As with lunarcat's example, if you work 30 hours on the Week 1, you can only work 10 hours on the Week 2, then 20 hours on Week 3, 20 hours on Week 4. So between Weeks 1 + 2, you worked 40 hours, Weeks 2 + 3 = 30, Weeks 3 + 4 = 40, etc. Or you could work 40 hours on Week 1, no hours on Week 2, 40 hours on Week 3, and so on. Basta mahalaga yung magkakasunod na weeks ay hindi lalampas ng 40 hours. This scenario of varying weekly hours may apply if you have casual work (no fixed number of shifts/hours). It's just easier to remember yung "20 hours per week" idea kasi hindi mo na iccalculate each week kung ilang hours ka nagwork, hehehe.

University holidays include STUVAC (official study vacation, the one week break between the last day of class and start of exam period), mid-semester breaks, summer and winter vacations. You can definitely work more than 40 hours per fortnight during these breaks. When your classes are in session, it means the whole semester/term, not just the hours you are on-campus for lectures. Afaik, exam period is included in that session. If you don't have exams (like assessments/submissions lang in postgrad), it's probably better to still assume that you are in session until all your assessments for that semester have been submitted.

You can check your uni/school's key dates / study dates for the year to see on which dates you are allowed to work more than the 40 hours per fortnight (official school/uni breaks would generally be indicated).

Assilowfortdomeng

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• AssilowAssilow Posts: 5Member

@lunarcat said:
    The agency (if you have one) will explain it to you further about the visa restrictions and kong ano lang pwedi sa visa mo. Other than that, you can check immigration website for further details.

Thank you po

• AssilowAssilow Posts: 5Member

@athelene said:

@Assilow said:
    Hi,

The 40 hours per fortnight is counted based on the consecutive fortnight. As with lunarcat's example, if you work 30 hours on the Week 1, you can only work 10 hours on the Week 2, then 20 hours on Week 3, 20 hours on Week 4. So between Weeks 1 + 2, you worked 40 hours, Weeks 2 + 3 = 30, Weeks 3 + 4 = 40, etc. Or you could work 40 hours on Week 1, no hours on Week 2, 40 hours on Week 3, and so on. Basta mahalaga yung magkakasunod na weeks ay hindi lalampas ng 40 hours. This scenario of varying weekly hours may apply if you have casual work (no fixed number of shifts/hours). It's just easier to remember yung "20 hours per week" idea kasi hindi mo na iccalculate each week kung ilang hours ka nagwork, hehehe.

University holidays include STUVAC (official study vacation, the one week break between the last day of class and start of exam period), mid-semester breaks, summer and winter vacations. You can definitely work more than 40 hours per fortnight during these breaks. When your classes are in session, it means the whole semester/term, not just the hours you are on-campus for lectures. Afaik, exam period is included in that session. If you don't have exams (like assessments/submissions lang in postgrad), it's probably better to still assume that you are in session until all your assessments for that semester have been submitted.

You can check your uni/school's key dates / study dates for the year to see on which dates you are allowed to work more than the 40 hours per fortnight (official school/uni breaks would generally be indicated).

thank you po

• lolenzlolenz cEBU

Hello, i have questions po, hopefully meron maka sagot. I am not also sure if this is the correct thread, but will try..

if i go to Oz as Student visa and have my husband with me, provided maka pag work xa in IT sa field niya, can we add up the experience sa 189 visa application nya in australian skilled employment?

We are planning to get ACS assessment parin, but we may need to take another route as SV ako, dependent xa and later on apply for 189. Our intention is to add it up sa points niya..

Is this going to be possible? Or meron ba points if maka pag work ng less than 3 years in Oz?

edited November 2020

@lolenz said:
    Hello, i have questions po, hopefully meron maka sagot. I am not also sure if this is the correct thread, but will try..

if i go to Oz as Student visa and have my husband with me, provided maka pag work xa in IT sa field niya, can we add up the experience sa 189 visa application nya in australian skilled employment?

We are planning to get ACS assessment parin, but we may need to take another route as SV ako, dependent xa and later on apply for 189. Our intention is to add it up sa points niya..

Is this going to be possible? Or meron ba points if maka pag work ng less than 3 years in Oz?

As far as I know, if your husband is the principal applicant for the 189, I believe at least one year work experience in the nominated occupation can get him 5 points. However, your Australian study won't get him points, as it is not him who will be studying in Australia. Your husband can get 10 points for Australian work experience if he works for at least 3 years.

If you are the principal applicant, you can get 5 points for the Australian study (if your studies is at least 2 years in length), but your husband's Australian work experience won't really count since you only get the partner points if they have a positive skill assessment and competent English (no points for overseas or Australian work experience of dependent).

So essentially you need to decide which one of you will create a better profile (more points) given the two options, kasi pareho lng na 5 points ang makukuha nyo. If you will study for at least 3 years, your husband can potentially gain that 10 points if he works for 3 years.

lolenz

• naigeru09naigeru09 Posts: 3Member

Hello,
    Is a remote work counted towards the 40 hr per fornight limit if I am still employed in PH? I will be paid as If I am still in PH soil, but will be doing my work in AU.

• jobxxxjobxxx Sydney

i have a friend na student visa nya is mag e-expire lang sa December but his graduation will be this August na. Pwede ba sya mag stay until without immediately applying for post graduate visa. meaning siguro mga november na lang sya mag apply ng post grad visa?

221213: External Auditor: Total Points PR 189 (100 Points) PR 190 NSW (105 Points) Onshore

2020 Nov - PTE Test (Superior)
    2020 Dec - EOI Lodgement for PR 189 and PR 190
    2021 Oct - Received pre-invitation from NSW government
    2021 Oct - Approved application from NSW government
    2021 Oct - Received ITA for PR 190 visa
    2021 Oct - Applied for VISA (Submitted all documents) - set aside money for this long time ago, para hindi masakit sa bulsa
    2021 Nov - Medical check (result was released a week after - still November)
    2022 Apr - PR 190 granted xoxo

@jobxxx said:
    i have a friend na student visa nya is mag e-expire lang sa December but his graduation will be this August na. Pwede ba sya mag stay until without immediately applying for post graduate visa. meaning siguro mga november na lang sya mag apply ng post grad visa?

Has your friend received their completion letter from the school (stating that they have satisfactorily completed the program)? If they have and the date they're planning to apply for grad visa (November) is still within the 6-month timeframe from when the completion letter was issued (to be eligible for grad visa), it should be okay. If no completion letter was provided, your friend should confirm with the school whether they issue out completion letters or not, as the 6-month timeframe to apply for grad visa is usually based on the date of completion letter and not the actual graduation ceremony.

For example, I received my completion letter last July 10, 2020, but my (online) graduation wasn't until Sept 3, 2020. So if I were applying for a grad visa, the 6-month timeframe would start from July 10 and not September, meaning I only had until January 2021 to apply for the grad visa.

If the planned application date is beyond the timeframe, your friend would be better served to apply sooner. Besides, once a substantive visa has been applied, a bridging visa will automatically be issued (but this won't be activated until the student visa expires).