Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Student Visa (Step by step)

Comments

• bakangaroobakangaroo Posts: 6Member

Wow. Good for you! Thank you for your response. I am planning to take up commercial cookery (which is a diploma/certificate program not a full course). Given that I came from Development Research industry in PH, I don't think I'll have some sort of advantage. It's not also in the priority fields of study of Australia Awards. I might have to research more about the study pathways for a cookery scholarship.

Did you file the EOI for student visa after having the scholarship? And was it immediately granted afterwards?

@athelene said:
    The likelihood of getting a scholarship depends on your academic achievements and which scholarship you're applying for. I don't think your current location makes a difference on whether you can get a scholarship or not.

I have received an Endeavour scholarship for my master's degree study, but I applied for it while I was living in Taiwan (my student visa was also granted while in Taiwan). Personally, I had no idea of my chances of getting it, but the only thing I could do was apply anyway and see what happens. I only learned that I was on the waitlist when I was offered a place about 3 weeks after I'd been informed that I didn't get the scholarship.

I did not qualify for Australia Awards because I was living outside PH, and the degree I was planning to pursue was not within their priority fields of study. As far as I know, AAS is the only one that can provide full tuition scholarship + stipends + return flights (Endeavour was the same, but the program was canceled last year). If your profile fits the AAS eligibility, apply for it anyway even though you're not sure of your chances.

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@bakangaroo said:
    Wow. Good for you! Thank you for your response. I am planning to take up commercial cookery (which is a diploma/certificate program not a full course). Given that I came from Development Research industry in PH, I don't think I'll have some sort of advantage. It's not also in the priority fields of study of Australia Awards. I might have to research more about the study pathways for a cookery scholarship.

Hello, curious lang, ayaw mo na icontinue yung Devt Research background mo? Baka mas maraming potential scholarships dun. Sa tingin ko kasi mas specialized field / niche, onte ang competition so maraming opportunities.

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@bakangaroo said:

Did you file the EOI for student visa after having the scholarship? And was it immediately granted afterwards?

EOI is a term generally used for migration, not student visa. If you mean if I've applied for student visa after being granted a scholarship, yes I did apply as soon as I had all the documents ready (eCoE, health insurance, GTE). The approval and timeline for student visa is on a case-by-case basis (like complete documents and good GTE), but I received my visa about 3 weeks after lodgment.

I don't know what are the scholarship options for vocational programs, as Endeavour used to have them for the VET category. Try asking the education provider directly if they have anything. School/uni offering scholarships to international students will be in the form of 10-25% tuition discount (not the whole program), and they're usually in the undergrad or postgrad level, not VET. I recommend narrowing down your school options and checking their website or contact them via email to ask about scholarships.

xiaoxue

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• RodSherRodSher Dubai

@athelene, I have a question about the dependent work rights for a master's degree. It so happens that my dependent has work rights limitations.

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@RodSher said:
    @athelene, I have a question about the dependent work rights for a master's degree. It so happens that my dependent has work rights limitations.

Hi Rodsher,

May tinanungan ako niyan, lahat ng Student visa 500 holders na dependent may 8104 Work Limitation sa first page. Pero sa 2nd page daw may note na if master's yung course pwede fulltime work siya.

Wala po bang note sa inyo?

Nakita ko nga sa list of priority fields of study yung development research. Gusto ko na kasi talaga i-try ipursue ang pagiging cook eh. Naisip ko, kung mag start over lang din ako might as well isabay ko na sa pagmigrate namin ng family ko diyan sa OZ. Masyado bang idealistic yun, ano sa tingin mo? Hehe

@xiaoxue said:
    Hello, curious lang, ayaw mo na icontinue yung Devt Research background mo? Baka mas maraming potential scholarships dun. Sa tingin ko kasi mas specialized field / niche, onte ang competition so maraming opportunities.

xiaoxue

Good insight. Gawin ko yan immediately. Maraming salamat! :)

@athelene said:

EOI is a term generally used for migration, not student visa. If you mean if I've applied for student visa after being granted a scholarship, yes I did apply as soon as I had all the documents ready (eCoE, health insurance, GTE). The approval and timeline for student visa is on a case-by-case basis (like complete documents and good GTE), but I received my visa about 3 weeks after lodgment.

I don't know what are the scholarship options for vocational programs, as Endeavour used to have them for the VET category. Try asking the education provider directly if they have anything. School/uni offering scholarships to international students will be in the form of 10-25% tuition discount (not the whole program), and they're usually in the undergrad or postgrad level, not VET. I recommend narrowing down your school options and checking their website or contact them via email to ask about scholarships.

edited November 2020

@RodSher said:

So your dependent is also limited to 40 hours per fortnight? It is actually not the rule for DHA to give unlimited work rights to dependents of master's degree students. I'm not sure exactly when did they apply restrictions for dependents, but it's definitely DHA's prerogative on whether to allow unlimited work rights or not for the dependent.

Based on DHA website (as of today), the unlimited work rights only apply for master by research or doctoral degree students (and perhaps their dependents) if the work is a requirement of the course. So if you are not studying a master by research (no coursework), then it seems you can't get the unlimited work rights for you or your dependent.

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@athelene said:

@RodSher said:

So your dependent is also limited to 40 hours per fortnight? It is actually not the rule for DHA to give unlimited work rights to dependents of master's degree students. I'm not sure exactly when did they apply restrictions for dependents, but it's definitely DHA's prerogative on whether to allow unlimited work rights or not for the dependent.

Based on DHA website (as of today), the unlimited work rights only apply for master by research or doctoral degree students (and perhaps their dependents) if the work is a requirement of the course. So if you are not studying a master by research (no coursework), then it seems you can't get the unlimited work rights for you or your dependent.

Hi @athelene can you please share the DHA link?

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

If the condition says 8104 for the dependent, then he/she can work with unlimited rights:

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@bakangaroo said:
    Nakita ko nga sa list of priority fields of study yung development research. Gusto ko na kasi talaga i-try ipursue ang pagiging cook eh. Naisip ko, kung mag start over lang din ako might as well isabay ko na sa pagmigrate namin ng family ko diyan sa OZ. Masyado bang idealistic yun, ano sa tingin mo? Hehe

Haha di ko alam. Iba iba naman tayo ng goals e. If you think that is your destiny, then go for it? I saw that William Anglis has some partial scholarships:

https://www.angliss.edu.au/study-with-us/scholarships/

Suyurin mo lahat ng schools na nasa Cricos para makita mo kung anong inooffer nila na scholarship. Ganun ginawa ko. May mga nakita akong 50-100% na scholarships sa mga university. Baka meron ding ganun sa cookery. :)

bakangaroo

@xiaoxue said:
    If the condition says 8104 for the dependent, then he/she can work with unlimited rights:

I see you've found the link to the DHA website. But what I was referring to regarding the master by research is the section after what you've highlighted. Whatever is on the DHA website, of course, are basic info, what people do need to follow is whatever's on the visa grant.

xiaoxue

Nasimulan ko na nga magsend ng email sa ilang schools. Medyo umaasa talaga ako sa scholarship kasi ang mahal ng tuition fee, among other costs sa student visa route. May I ask mga magkano ang ang nagastos mo and yung breakdown? Sinusubukan kasi namin ni misis gumawa ng 2-year plan to save up, in case mag student visa pathway kami. Salamat! :)

@xiaoxue said:

Haha di ko alam. Iba iba naman tayo ng goals e. If you think that is your destiny, then go for it? I saw that William Anglis has some partial scholarships:

https://www.angliss.edu.au/study-with-us/scholarships/

Suyurin mo lahat ng schools na nasa Cricos para makita mo kung anong inooffer nila na scholarship. Ganun ginawa ko. May mga nakita akong 50-100% na scholarships sa mga university. Baka meron ding ganun sa cookery. :)

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@athelene said:
    I see you've found the link to the DHA website. But what I was referring to regarding the master by research is the section after what you've highlighted. Whatever is on the DHA website, of course, are basic info, what people do need to follow is whatever's on the visa grant.

Noted. Naobserve ko kasi sa student visas with dependent, ang condition sa student ay 8105, while sa dependent naman ay 8104. So i think @RodSher can clarify which condition is noted in their grant.

@xiaoxue said:
    Noted. Naobserve ko kasi sa student visas with dependent, ang condition sa student ay 8105, while sa dependent naman ay 8104. So i think @RodSher can clarify which condition is noted in their grant.

That's true. I've only had 8105 since I don't have any dependent. Yung mga kakilala ko naman dito na student wala ring dependent kaya never ko na-encounter ang 8104.

xiaoxue

• RodSherRodSher Dubai

@athelene @xiaoxue i think 8104 is general

• FcotejarFcotejar Posts: 1Member

Hi.. I'm new here. Need help sana for my plan to study in Australia next yr. Here are my cases:
    1. I'm 33 yrs old na.
    2. Been working in IT field for 10 yrs na with 4 companies as Senior IT Analyst/ Tech Support.
    3.I have associate 2 yr course diploma in Web app Dev. Then nag ETEEAP ako to get a degree in BSBA - Major in Human Resource. This is the program na I took for 1yr only to get a degree as long as you have 5yrs experience.
    4.An agency advised me to get a Master in Business Analytics in Kaplan but I really want to study something in IT.
    5.I'm interested to study Advance Diploma in IT - Management in ACBI but i dont know what agency ako lalapit to help me.
    6.A friend told me that the Advance Diploma is not a PR Pathway and I should take Masters pero I want also to have a formal IT Diploma and I know I'll have a lot of opportunities way back home if I have an international diploma. Feeling ko kasi hindi ako magiging happy sa Master of Business.
    7.How strict na ba yung AU Immigration for Advance Diploma courses? Hindi nman kasi sya downgrade para sa akin. Will it be risky?

My question is may chance bang maapprove ng SV knowing my age if kukuha ako ng advanced diploma. Ano po mga advices nyo for my SOP para am approve ako sa IT course? Thank you po in advance.. Stay Safe!

lunarcat
  • xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai
    1. not an issue - your agent should help you create a strong application
    2. change your agency
    3. https://www.acbi.edu.au/find-an-agent
    • their website lists their partner agencies. Walang Philippine address but I noticed that there are Kokos and AECC on the list. Those educational agents have local offices in the Philippines and their assistance is free of charge:
    • https://www.kokosph.com/
    • https://www.aeccglobal.com.ph/
    1. Research the requirements of your occupation online. Or ask a migration agent. Or check mo yung thread dito na related sa occupation mo.
    2. You can ask the educational agent about the student visa application.
  • ChocoVillain123ChocoVillain123 Posts: 3Member

Is it true that AECC don't collect professional fee? Papano sila kumikita?

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@ChocoVillain123 said:
    Is it true that AECC don't collect professional fee? Papano sila kumikita?

Yes. They are one of several educational agencies representing the schools. I think they are paid by the school for every successful enrollment.

• cutiepie25cutiepie25 Posts: 382Member

I’m wondering po, meron ba silang plan ung estimate po kung kelan sila magpapapasok ng students?

I’m thinking if matagalan yung 189 ko, magsstudent pathway nalang ako muna.

• lunarcatlunarcat Posts: 376Member

@cutiepie25 said:
    I’m wondering po, meron ba silang plan ung estimate po kung kelan sila magpapapasok ng students?

Hi, they are doing pilot flight program for existing international students pero sa NT. Not sure pa when sila magpapasok for international students.

ANZSCO 261111 ICT Business Analyst | 189 - 75 | 190 (NSW) - 80 | 419 (NSW) - 90
    Oct 2019 - Started my journey to 🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺 as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Feb 2020 - Arrived in Au - Thank you Lord!
    Oct 2022 - Granted Visa TSS 482 (Medium stream)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)
    15 June 2023 - Consulted IMES and Immi Visa
    22 June 2023 - Submitted all documents for ACS Skills Assessment
    05 July 2023 - Submitted additional doco to IMES
    27 July 2023 - Lodged ACS Assessment
    08 Sept 2023 - PTE (Proficient)
    25 Oct 2023 - Received ACS positive result after 13 weeks
    27 Oct 2023 - EOI Lodgement
    30 Oct 2023 - Corrected EOI for work experience claimed points
    --Waiting for pre-invite--

@lunarcat said:

@cutiepie25 said:

Hi, they are doing pilot flight program for existing international students pero sa NT. Not sure pa when sila magpapasok for international students.

Mas maganda po ba to wait for a bit or magapply n ng student visa ngayon kahit na online pa rin?

• lunarcatlunarcat Posts: 376Member

Hello, since you have an existing application I would say to just wait for a bit. Hang on, you are almost there. I am taking the student pathway to add more points tbh. And it costs a lot of money and also visa restrictions. Save up your money so you'll be ready here and can work on your own. Students are restricted to work 40 hours per fornite only. If you want to gain more knowledge on your nominated occupation and money is not an issue, then you can take SV. Just my two cents.

ANZSCO 261111 ICT Business Analyst | 189 - 75 | 190 (NSW) - 80 | 419 (NSW) - 90
    Oct 2019 - Started my journey to 🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺 as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Feb 2020 - Arrived in Au - Thank you Lord!
    Oct 2022 - Granted Visa TSS 482 (Medium stream)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)
    15 June 2023 - Consulted IMES and Immi Visa
    22 June 2023 - Submitted all documents for ACS Skills Assessment
    05 July 2023 - Submitted additional doco to IMES
    27 July 2023 - Lodged ACS Assessment
    08 Sept 2023 - PTE (Proficient)
    25 Oct 2023 - Received ACS positive result after 13 weeks
    27 Oct 2023 - EOI Lodgement
    30 Oct 2023 - Corrected EOI for work experience claimed points
    --Waiting for pre-invite--

edited December 2020

@lunarcat said:
    Hello, since you have an existing application I would say to just wait for a bit. Hang on, you are almost there. I am taking the student pathway to add more points tbh. And it costs a lot of money and also visa restrictions. Save up your money so you'll be ready here and can work on your own. Students are restricted to work 40 hours per fornite only. If you want to gain more knowledge on your nominated occupation and money is not an issue, then you can take SV. Just my two cents.

Hay actually prinoproblema nga namin ng Aussie bf ko kasi ung 189 grant ko sobrang tagal due to COVID. Kaya we’re looking for ways to get there quicker, na pag nagopen ang borders, makakapunta ako agad.

Assessed po ako as Bachelors section1 uni, so meaning ba nito bachelors ang pinakamababa kong pwede itake? Bawal ang graduate cert at diploma?

TYIA!

edited December 2020

@cutiepie25 said:

@lunarcat said:

Hay actually prinoproblema nga namin ng Aussie bf ko kasi ung 189 grant ko sobrang tagal due to COVID. Kaya we’re looking for ways to get there quicker, na pag nagopen ang borders, makakapunta ako agad.

Assessed po ako as Bachelors section1 uni, so meaning ba nito bachelors ang pinakamababa kong pwede itake? Bawal ang graduate cert at diploma?

TYIA!

GradCert and GradDip are higher than Bachelor degree (they are nested within Master's degree programs, so usually universities ang nag-offer nun, I haven't checked vocational schools if they do). Diploma and Advanced Diploma yung lower than Bachelor. GradCert is equivalent to postgrad-level studies for one sem, GradDip for two sems (1 year), so that wouldn't count for Australian studies. Unless, of course, you go for 2 GradDip, but since the cost is about the same as a Master's degree (since uni ang nag-ooffer nito), you might as well take the 2-year Master's degree to get points for AU study (more points if you study in regional area).

If you're after a lower tuition cost and you meant studying Diploma/Advanced Diploma, I think you can still try for that, but you need to have a really good reason for it (like changing careers, that's why you need to reskill or something). Ideally you would not do a AdvDip on Marketing, for example, if you've finished a Bachelor degree in Marketing, kasi mas mababa yung AdvDip than Bachelor, and the topics are the same. In the end kasi, you need to be able to prove your GTE to DHA, that there is career progression and you only plan to stay temporarily (although in reality you want to stay long-term).

I'm no migration agent, but I don't know if you will be able to get a SV if you already have a 189 application that is pending grant (since makikita sa ImmiAccount mo that you've lodged a visa na).

baiken

• herlipstickstainherlipstickstain Posts: 18Member

Hello po, anyone here po who can help me do my GTE? Ang problem po kasi i’m gonna take Diploma of Nursing in Tafe package with Bachelor of Nursing in ACU pero undergrad po ako sa Pinas and hindi nursing related course ko. But I’ve been working as a Medical Transcriptionist since 2018. Medyo nahihirapan ako i-answer yung standard questions on the gte assessment. I hope anyone can help. Thanks

@athelene said:

@cutiepie25 said:

@lunarcat said:

TYIA!

GradCert and GradDip are higher than Bachelor degree (they are nested within Master's degree programs, so usually universities ang nag-offer nun, I haven't checked vocational schools if they do). Diploma and Advanced Diploma yung lower than Bachelor. GradCert is equivalent to postgrad-level studies for one sem, GradDip for two sems (1 year), so that wouldn't count for Australian studies. Unless, of course, you go for 2 GradDip, but since the cost is about the same as a Master's degree (since uni ang nag-ooffer nito), you might as well take the 2-year Master's degree to get points for AU study (more points if you study in regional area).

If you're after a lower tuition cost and you meant studying Diploma/Advanced Diploma, I think you can still try for that, but you need to have a really good reason for it (like changing careers, that's why you need to reskill or something). Ideally you would not do a AdvDip on Marketing, for example, if you've finished a Bachelor degree in Marketing, kasi mas mababa yung AdvDip than Bachelor, and the topics are the same. In the end kasi, you need to be able to prove your GTE to DHA, that there is career progression and you only plan to stay temporarily (although in reality you want to stay long-term).

I'm no migration agent, but I don't know if you will be able to get a SV if you already have a 189 application that is pending grant (since makikita sa ImmiAccount mo that you've lodged a visa na).

Hay opo actually, yun nga ang pinoprobkema ko. Nakapending yng grant ko :( gusto talaga namin ng bf ko na makapunta ako doon the quickest once magbukas ang borders. Ano po kaya ang best gawin? TV?

@herlipstickstain said:
    Hello po, anyone here po who can help me do my GTE? Ang problem po kasi i’m gonna take Diploma of Nursing in Tafe package with Bachelor of Nursing in ACU pero undergrad po ako sa Pinas and hindi nursing related course ko. But I’ve been working as a Medical Transcriptionist since 2018. Medyo nahihirapan ako i-answer yung standard questions on the gte assessment. I hope anyone can help. Thanks

Hi, maybe this guide might help you get an idea on how to do approach writing the GTE:
    https://pinoyau.info/discussion/comment/289072#Comment_289072

@cutiepie25 said:
    Hay opo actually, yun nga ang pinoprobkema ko. Nakapending yng grant ko :( gusto talaga namin ng bf ko na makapunta ako doon the quickest once magbukas ang borders. Ano po kaya ang best gawin? TV?

Since pending sya, it might be tricky to pull off the GTE, since you've already expressed your intention to stay in Australia permanently. When did you apply for that 189 visa?

With the current scenario, the border won't open talaga for temporary visitors until you can get travel exemption. A friend who has a valid 485 visa was only allowed to enter Australia this week (he was due to return nung March pa) due to travel exemption---nursing grad kasi sya. I don't know if getting the travel exemption that took a long time or if it was getting a seat on the plane. Either way, it would be difficult to get exemption as a tourist visa holder (which would not be valid for a long time anyway) unless maybe a family member is here and needs you to come in. And you can't work in Australia until you get the 189 visa (which no one knows when it'll be granted).

For student visa pathway naman, it's gonna be expensive as an international student. Personally, I would recommend just wait for the borders to open and enter as tourist (if hindi pa ma-grant yung 189 before opening of border).

cutiepie25