Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Student vs PR help!

jjennieferjjenniefer PhilippinesPosts: 27Member
hi mga kabayan. I need help

I'm in the process in deciding on what VISA should I get going sa Australia.
I'm torn between Student and PR(Visa 189 or any)
Start palang po ako but I need a path so that I could prepare the requirements and money. Nagrereview pa po ako for IELTS.

Here are my worries; I hope you could help me.

Student VISA
-Although advantage yung price ng visa na around PhP20k-PhP25k; i felt na magastos at the end of the day
-Tuition fee for Masteral Courses are expensive
-Earning a little money since I could only work part time
*advantage: Processing time is faster and cheaper

PR
-Visa amount is Expensive - around Php100k
-more documents/requirements needed
-expenses for Assessment
*Advantage: Can earn so much since I'll have unlimited work hours

I will really appreciate all info that you will give. thank you!

Comments

• agentKamsagentKams Toowoomba
    Hi, i have done the student route and if you have the points to get an invitation for PR visa, i suggest do the PR visa. one time lang ang expenses mo sa PR visa, unlike sa student visa it will take 1-2 years ka matatapos, and eventually magaapply ka din ng PR visa. Tuition cost for master's is $11k/term up depende sa uni, compare sa PR visa expense na $8k-9k max single payment.

Timeline: Student Visa Subclass 573 (Masters)
    06 July 2015: Visa Grant
    April 2018: Uni Graduation

Timeline: Permanent Visa (189) Accountant 221111
    18 April 2018: ITA received - Visa 189
    04 May 2018 : Lodged Visa Application - Visa 189
    29 Aug 2018 - First CO Contact - PCC Qatar (partner)
    9 Jan 2019 - 2nd CO Contact - penal waiver
    18 Jan 2019 - Updated immiaccount with penal waiver
    29 Jan 2019 - Forwarded PCC to gsm.allocated email
    8 Feb 2019 - Visa Grant - Finally!!

Timeline: Citizenship
    July 2020: Application lodgment
    May 2021: Citizenship Exam
    Feb 2022: Oi! Oi! Oi! Aussie na din sa wakas!

• jjennieferjjenniefer Philippines
    @agentKams thank you po
    I'm worried lang s PR kasi po Hospitality Managment major in Tourism yung course ko BUT all of my work experience di related dun. Mostly Admin and Customer service po.
    Sa skill set po the only occupation na medyo malapit s work exp is the Customer Service Manager.
    I'm worried n baka madeny since d connected yung course ko sa jobs ko. thanks!!!
    @agentKams by the way, I also checked s eligible skilled occupations, Customer Service Manager can only avail subclass 186 and 457. I dont know po if paano yung gagawin ko if ever ayun po yung process ko
  • RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,693Member, Administrator, Moderator
    I did the studen visa route myself many years ago when it was much easier pa. now, I'm a registered migration agent and coming from both my personal experience and professional view, I won't recommend a student visa as a pathway. It's a long and expensive route with no assurance of a PR.

On the other hand, the occupation you mentioned requires a managerial position. If you are not in that level, it will also not be a successful application.
  • magueromaguero Adelaide
    @jjenniefer 457 visa is a temporary work visa. You can only apply for this if you have a job offer. Your occupation is eligible for 190 and 489 visa based on this list https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

Check Vetassess for the requirement to be positively assessed for that occupation. Some occupations don't require a related course but Vetassess will deduct several years of experience instead. In my case, they deducted 3 years. If they require managerial level experience then you should be at that level for several years already.
    @RheaMARN1171933 thank you po sa advise nyo. if magcompute nga po ng tuition fees and personal expenses mukhang dinpo ideal yung student visa for me lalo na since limited lang budget ko :) ano pa po kayang pwede n visa option ko? yun pa lang po kasi yung mga alam ko na visa. I don't know pa yung mga visa n pwede ko gawin
    @maguero @RheaMARN1171933 di po managerial position mga job exps. ko. Ano pa po kaya options ko? ayoko rn po irisk n mag papa-assess ako tapos there is big chance n madeny since d enough yung work experiences ko. Would you know ano pa yung dapat kong iexplore na option? with a limited budget rin :( ayoko rin sana igive up yung dream ko to go to Australia kaya I really need help. Wala rin po kaming mga relative n makakatulong kaya I'm on my own
    @jjenniefer Hindi rin ako sigurado sa alternatives kasi sa pagkakaalam ko, kung gusto mag-apply under skilled migration kailangan may positive assessment sa occupation na nakalista either sa MLTSSL or STSOL. Tapos sa temporary work visa 457 kailangan nasa listahan din yung occupation mo.

May nabasa ako dito na nakakakuha ng positive assessment maski new grad, so zero or less than 1 year work experience. Why don't you check kung may occupation na tugma sa course na tinapos mo and then research mo kung possible makakuha ng positive assessment kahit zero or minimal work experience.

Ang last alternative na naiisip ko student visa. Pero ang alam ko magastos yun and hindi naman lahat nagiging PR.
    @maguero thank you po.
    Dun po ako actually nahihirapan. Wala po sa list yung occupation ko. kaya po naging option ko sana if ever student visa. but it's too expensive for me (tuition and living exp)
    I'm trying to apply via Seek po but medyo bihira po ang magssponsor n company if you're still in PH. but everyday po I'm checking po. Thanky you po s mga information. I'll check po cguro more on sponsored job. Baka po maswertehan at mkakita ng sponsor.
    @agentKams @maguero @RheaMARN1171933 hello po. sorry another question po. I saw sa STSOL na list yung Company Secretary (221211). qualified po for 190/489 visa

I have an Admin Assistant job experience po kasi. Napaisip po kasi ako dun s advise nyo na possible na malapit d nga naging work experience kahit hindi sakto. if magbawas ng experience Ok lang rn po siguro. bawiin ko nalang s IELTS. tama po ba?
  • chococrinklechococrinkle Adelaide
    @jjenniefer. I checked company secretary at anzsco search and it is eligible for state sponsorship in south australia (provided you get 85 pts) and tasmania. Pls check also the job description of company secretary and make sure it matches the job description indicated in your coe.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/

Eto yung description sa anzsco:

UNIT GROUP 2212 AUDITORS, COMPANY SECRETARIES AND CORPORATE TREASURERS

AUDITORS, COMPANY SECRETARIES AND CORPORATE TREASURERS conduct audits of accounting systems, procedures and financial statements, manage corporate funding and financial risk, and administer and review corporate compliance activities.
    Indicative Skill Level:
    In Australia and New Zealand:

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. In the case of Corporate Treasurers and Company Secretaries, at least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)

221211 COMPANY SECRETARY

Plans, administers and reviews corporate compliance activities and effective practice concerning company board meetings and shareholdings, ensuring all business matters and transactions are managed and implemented as directed by the board.
    Skill Level: 1

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/0/215756F62118D7E6CA2575DF002DA794?opendocument

2014 -- start of Au dream
    06.07.14 -- IELTS LRWS 7.5/7.5/7.0/7.0
    07.18.14 -- positive skills assessment
    08.01.14 -- waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    08.01.15 -- still waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    08.01.16 -- still waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    06.07.17 -- expired IELTS
    07.18.17 -- expired skills assessment
    08.2017 -- learned high points via SA 489
    11.22.17 -- PTE Academic exam LRWS 90/79/90/90
    11.22.17 -- result of Vetassess assessment renewal
    11.30.17 -- EOI lodge SA 489 80 pts
    12.22.17 -- received SA invitation
    01.04.18 -- Visa Lodge SA 489
    01.19.18 -- Medicals
    04.10.18 -- Visa Grant (DG) Praise God!!!

PTE Writing Tips

For writing essay I used E2 language format and applying what I learned from Ielts. Sa intro, sa 1st sentence ni restate ko lang yung question using my own words. Then sa 2nd sentence if one sided lang yung question, I give summary of the reasons ( 2 reasons only). Example, if ang essay is about importance of computers (one sided), eto 2nd sentence ko. Computers are valuable resources as they (1st reason) aid in learning and are (2nd reason) used to communicate with others. Then sa 3rd sentence sasabihin ko para pampahaba-- In this essay, I shall discuss my point of view by giving points and examples about the topic.

Then sa 2nd paragraph, elaborate ko na ang 1St reason. Mga 2 sentences na magsupport sa 1st reason, like if yung 1st reason ko is aid in learning, expand ko ang topic by answering how computers aid in learning,etc. Usually yung reason mo convert mo by asking how, what, when, or who. Tapos sa 3rd sentence, I state examples. Pwede ka din mag add pa ng 4th sentence parang isummarize mo lang ang 2nd paragraph.

Sa 3rd paragraph discuss naman ang 3rd reason same sa ginawa sa 2nd par.

4Th paragraph 1st sentence conclusion, then 2nd sentence recommendation.

If 2 sided naman yung intro pwede mo gamitin yung nasa template like kina Heprex na samples. Then yung 2nd par yung kabilang side, then yung 3rd paragraph yung other side. Tapos same last paragraph.

If medyo nahihirapan ka sa mga ideas, research ka dito sa forum ng mga recent topics. Tapos based dun sa topic reasearch ka anong pwedeng maging points and reasons para may idea ka na ano ilalagay mo sa essay.

Ang key talaga sa writing is dapat marami ka ideas. If nahihirapan ka mag construct ng idea try to research as much as possible. Google mo yung mga common or recent topics on pte writing tapos may mga sample questions dun,, then research mo ano possible answers para sa actual exam may idea kana ano isasagot. Tapos dpat familiarize mo mga connectors (like moreover, therefore, for instance, etc) kasi mas mataas ang grade kapag medyo complex ang sentence na ginagamit mo kesa simple sentences lang.

For summarize written text strategy ko is to first get ano main topic. Then analyze what important points were given, may nangyari ba? If meron ano ang nangyari, kelan nangyari? ano at para kanino ang purpose? Usually kasi sa mga paragraphs naka detail lang pero yung point lang naman dun is parang dinedescribe lang yung main topic. If you can answer who/what, when, how and why about the topic pwede mo na pagdugtungin yung ideas mo thru connectors and form a sentence. If you will have multiple paragraphs, summarize mo muna per paragraph then summarize mo ulit lahat in one sentence

Another tip also in writing as much as possible do not repeat the same words. If you dont have much stored knowledge about synonyms okay lang. Practice and Research is the key. Kaya malaki ang help sa akin yung pag research sa mga common or recent topics kasi while practicing pwede akong mghanap ng synonyms then mas madali ko syang ma recall sa actual exam kasi nagawa ko na sya before. Tapos if meron kayong word na ma encounter na parang hirap kayo mag elaborate, google nyo din anong synonym or phrases na pwedeng same meaning ng word. Share ko yung nilista kong mga synonyms na possible na magagamit sa mga essay kasi minsan these are the topics commonly asked.

Essay synonyms

Discuss- cite, mention, illustrate, narrate, elucidate, talk about

Finally.. Concluded, In Summary

Democracy- representative govt; elective govt; republic; commonwealth

Vote- suffrage, ballot, poll, elect officials, select leaders, appoint, designate

Leaders- officials, officer, commander, chief, head, principal of nations, pioneer, front runner

Nature- mother earth, environment, wildlife, universe, cosmos, countryside, natural resources, natural world

Environment- habitat, territory, domain, surroundings

Teachers- educator, tutor, coach,guide, mentor, guru, professor, trainer, lecturer

Computer- PC, laptop, netbook,desktop, terminal, mainframe

Robot- automated individual, android, automaton, golem, bot, droid,

Invention- creation, innovation, development, design

Creative ability- inventive mind, originality, imagination, inspiration

Airplane- plane, airliner, jet, plane

Drugs- medicine, medication, remedy, cure, antidote

Issue- matter, affairs, problem, difficulty, obstacle, predicament

Information- details, particulars, facts, data, computing /computer

Revolution- insurgence, transformation, innovation, revolt, uprising, restructuring

Packaging- case, wrap

Region, province, rural area, district, territory, district, area

Boon- blessing, benefit, advantage

Tourist- traveler, vacationer, visitor

Tourism- visits to places of interest; commercial organization and operation of vacations; traveling to places; services provided to people for holidays

Technology- invention, engineering, applied science, method, technical knowledge, undustrial science, mechanization

Xenophobic- anti nationalist

@chococrinkle thank you for a very detailed information. I still need to research further pa talaga. Still not familiar with the whole process. I think medyo maliit parin chances ko base sa description. I dont think even magdeduct ng years sa work experiences ko, it wouldnt be enough :( :( :( Baka 1 year lang matira sa 5yrs ko :( iba pa naman Bachelors degree ko
  • chococrinklechococrinkle Adelaide
    @jjenniefer Yes research talaga is the key to be successful esp if you will not have an agent. Nag calculate ka na ba ng possible points? Lets say if you cannot claim points s work experience how many points do you have now? Is your experience related to a company secretary within the last 5 years? If ever can you provide a coe na you can give the details of your job descrition na almost the same sa description ng company secretary? If both questions are yes, and you can get at least 60 points baka pwede ka sa tasmania. You may read thru their website to check eligibility reqs for 489 state spOnsorship. Take note dati di sila open pag walang job offer but now they did kaya if you think you will qualify grab the chance na as migration rules change very fast. God bless you on your application.

2014 -- start of Au dream
    06.07.14 -- IELTS LRWS 7.5/7.5/7.0/7.0
    07.18.14 -- positive skills assessment
    08.01.14 -- waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    08.01.15 -- still waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    08.01.16 -- still waiting for occupation in ACT to open
    06.07.17 -- expired IELTS
    07.18.17 -- expired skills assessment
    08.2017 -- learned high points via SA 489
    11.22.17 -- PTE Academic exam LRWS 90/79/90/90
    11.22.17 -- result of Vetassess assessment renewal
    11.30.17 -- EOI lodge SA 489 80 pts
    12.22.17 -- received SA invitation
    01.04.18 -- Visa Lodge SA 489
    01.19.18 -- Medicals
    04.10.18 -- Visa Grant (DG) Praise God!!!

PTE Writing Tips

For writing essay I used E2 language format and applying what I learned from Ielts. Sa intro, sa 1st sentence ni restate ko lang yung question using my own words. Then sa 2nd sentence if one sided lang yung question, I give summary of the reasons ( 2 reasons only). Example, if ang essay is about importance of computers (one sided), eto 2nd sentence ko. Computers are valuable resources as they (1st reason) aid in learning and are (2nd reason) used to communicate with others. Then sa 3rd sentence sasabihin ko para pampahaba-- In this essay, I shall discuss my point of view by giving points and examples about the topic.

Then sa 2nd paragraph, elaborate ko na ang 1St reason. Mga 2 sentences na magsupport sa 1st reason, like if yung 1st reason ko is aid in learning, expand ko ang topic by answering how computers aid in learning,etc. Usually yung reason mo convert mo by asking how, what, when, or who. Tapos sa 3rd sentence, I state examples. Pwede ka din mag add pa ng 4th sentence parang isummarize mo lang ang 2nd paragraph.

Sa 3rd paragraph discuss naman ang 3rd reason same sa ginawa sa 2nd par.

4Th paragraph 1st sentence conclusion, then 2nd sentence recommendation.

If 2 sided naman yung intro pwede mo gamitin yung nasa template like kina Heprex na samples. Then yung 2nd par yung kabilang side, then yung 3rd paragraph yung other side. Tapos same last paragraph.

If medyo nahihirapan ka sa mga ideas, research ka dito sa forum ng mga recent topics. Tapos based dun sa topic reasearch ka anong pwedeng maging points and reasons para may idea ka na ano ilalagay mo sa essay.

Ang key talaga sa writing is dapat marami ka ideas. If nahihirapan ka mag construct ng idea try to research as much as possible. Google mo yung mga common or recent topics on pte writing tapos may mga sample questions dun,, then research mo ano possible answers para sa actual exam may idea kana ano isasagot. Tapos dpat familiarize mo mga connectors (like moreover, therefore, for instance, etc) kasi mas mataas ang grade kapag medyo complex ang sentence na ginagamit mo kesa simple sentences lang.

For summarize written text strategy ko is to first get ano main topic. Then analyze what important points were given, may nangyari ba? If meron ano ang nangyari, kelan nangyari? ano at para kanino ang purpose? Usually kasi sa mga paragraphs naka detail lang pero yung point lang naman dun is parang dinedescribe lang yung main topic. If you can answer who/what, when, how and why about the topic pwede mo na pagdugtungin yung ideas mo thru connectors and form a sentence. If you will have multiple paragraphs, summarize mo muna per paragraph then summarize mo ulit lahat in one sentence

Another tip also in writing as much as possible do not repeat the same words. If you dont have much stored knowledge about synonyms okay lang. Practice and Research is the key. Kaya malaki ang help sa akin yung pag research sa mga common or recent topics kasi while practicing pwede akong mghanap ng synonyms then mas madali ko syang ma recall sa actual exam kasi nagawa ko na sya before. Tapos if meron kayong word na ma encounter na parang hirap kayo mag elaborate, google nyo din anong synonym or phrases na pwedeng same meaning ng word. Share ko yung nilista kong mga synonyms na possible na magagamit sa mga essay kasi minsan these are the topics commonly asked.

Essay synonyms

Discuss- cite, mention, illustrate, narrate, elucidate, talk about

Finally.. Concluded, In Summary

Democracy- representative govt; elective govt; republic; commonwealth

Vote- suffrage, ballot, poll, elect officials, select leaders, appoint, designate

Leaders- officials, officer, commander, chief, head, principal of nations, pioneer, front runner

Nature- mother earth, environment, wildlife, universe, cosmos, countryside, natural resources, natural world

Environment- habitat, territory, domain, surroundings

Teachers- educator, tutor, coach,guide, mentor, guru, professor, trainer, lecturer

Computer- PC, laptop, netbook,desktop, terminal, mainframe

Robot- automated individual, android, automaton, golem, bot, droid,

Invention- creation, innovation, development, design

Creative ability- inventive mind, originality, imagination, inspiration

Airplane- plane, airliner, jet, plane

Drugs- medicine, medication, remedy, cure, antidote

Issue- matter, affairs, problem, difficulty, obstacle, predicament

Information- details, particulars, facts, data, computing /computer

Revolution- insurgence, transformation, innovation, revolt, uprising, restructuring

Packaging- case, wrap

Region, province, rural area, district, territory, district, area

Boon- blessing, benefit, advantage

Tourist- traveler, vacationer, visitor

Tourism- visits to places of interest; commercial organization and operation of vacations; traveling to places; services provided to people for holidays

Technology- invention, engineering, applied science, method, technical knowledge, undustrial science, mechanization

Xenophobic- anti nationalist

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    @jjenniefer I suppose the pathway to choose depends on how soon you want to move to Australia and what job/occupation you want to do once you get there. Considering your current work experience in admin and customer service, it might be a little challenging (in my opinion lang ha) for you to migrate with that occupation right now because it's not management level.

Going for the student route is popular because it's a good way to upskill (increase/upgrade your skill set) towards the occupation you want (and working part-time--hopefully in the same industry as your studies--would help you in gaining local work experience). Meanwhile, directly applying for PR visa requires a solid work experience in the job you want to do (and is in demand) in Australia, as well as a lot of money and preparation (skills assessment, visa fee, etc).

Is it your long-term plan to work in the admin/customer service industry? Or are you planning to use your work experience to migrate first then change industry after getting PR?
    Do you think with your current profile, you can make the best application possible for PR? Or do you think having Australian qualifications might improve your odds of getting that PR visa?

If you intend to continue with the admin/customer service path, I'd recommend you take the student route, perhaps a degree in management or business, then find a managerial job. Then you can nominate a management-level occupation when you apply for PR. The student route is actually more expensive and time-consuming than applying directly for a PR visa, but if you can score a scholarship from the university (VET schools don't have that many scholarship options, but most unis do), you have one less thing to worry about when it comes to expenses. Since you're still in the research stage, look for universities that offer the course you want and the scholarships available. Seriously, in comparison to the UK, US, and Canada, I feel that Australia offers a lot more scholarships than other countries. You just need to be diligent in looking for scholarship opportunities. :)

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    edited March 2018
    Hi guys I'm also under the same dilemma. Applied for 189, 489 and 190 pero no luck yet sa invites. I'm planning to take a Cert IV and diploma course on Work health and safety so that I can get the 5 pts for AU study requirement. My fallback is my bachelor's degree in electronics engg na nasa MLTSSL. My long term plan is take the 2 yrs AU study requirement, so in 2 yrs, 70 pts na ako (+5 sa age as well as sa study). Any insights dito guys? Thanks!

I did the studen visa route myself many years ago when it was much easier pa. now, I'm a registered migration agent and coming from both my personal experience and professional view, I won't recommend a student visa as a pathway. It's a long and expensive route with no assurance of a PR.

On the other hand, the occupation you mentioned requires a managerial position. If you are not in that level, it will also not be a successful application.

233411 Electronics Engineer (Age-30, Educ-15,English proficiency-20, NAATI - 5, Single, - 10 Relative sponsorship - 15)
    95 pts total
    2017*****
    June 3, 2017 = Graduated from College
    July 8, 2017 = Took IELTS GT
    July 21, 2017 = received IELTS results (LRWS = 8/9/7.5/7)
    August 11, 2017 = Lodged EA assessment (Fast track)
    September 6, 2017 = Received positive EA assessment, lodged EOI (489 Family sponsored - 60 pts)
    September 21, 2017 = Took PTE exam
    September 22, 2017 = Received PTE results (LRSW- 90/90/90/90), lodged 189 EOI (60 pts), updated 489 FS EOI (70 pts)
    September 26, 2017 = Lodged 190 EOI (NSW) 65 pts
    2018*****
    1 year wait... still no EOI invite. Decided to pursue student visa instead

Course: Cert IV and Diploma - Work Health and Safety (DNA Kingston)

October 15, 2018 = offer letter from school
    November 8, 2018 = Medical exam (St. Lukes)
    November 20, 2018 = Paid for tuition
    Novemeber 28, 2018 = Received COE
    December 2, 2018 = Lodged visa, after 1 min, granted!
    2019*****
    Feb 4 2019 = arrived to Perth
    2020*****
    Jan 2020 = Age increased to 30 pts
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Jan 26 2020 = Results for NAATI (passed) +5 pts
    Jan 27 2020 = lodged EOI 491 Family
    Feb 10 2020 = invited finally!
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged
    Oct 30 2023 = 191 granted

@MLBS Is that Work, Health and Safety diploma very related to your nominated occupation? If so, that might be a good option. The bachelor's degree would take you 3 years, that's an extra year of tuition fee and time when you only need 2 years to fulfill the AU study. You can choose between the vocational course or a master's degree, both of which usually take 2 years to finish.

The certificate+diploma path is more economical in terms of fees, but getting a master's degree would get you the Post-Study Work Visa valid for 2 years (if you decide to gain Australian work experience first before reapplying for PR visa, and that's an additional 5 points).

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    I think so kasi it leans on safety in industries such as mining, factories, etc. Kahit di ko makuha yung graduate work visa (the visa applicable for diploma courses) ok lang saken e, kasi I think 70 pts is high enough to be invited. Plus it's cheaper hehe.

I'm sitting at 60 palang due to my age. Pero I'm still thinking of this option until July. Pag wala pa ako invite by then, I'll start applying na.

233411 Electronics Engineer (Age-30, Educ-15,English proficiency-20, NAATI - 5, Single, - 10 Relative sponsorship - 15)
    95 pts total
    2017*****
    September 6, 2017 = Received positive EA assessment, lodged EOI (489 Family sponsored - 60 pts)
    September 22, 2017 = Received PTE results (LRSW- 90/90/90/90), lodged 189 EOI (60 pts), updated 489 FS EOI (70 pts)
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

edited March 2018
    @MLBS I see. Well, as long as magagamit mo sya sa future jobs, go lang. :) Yeah, definitely cheaper ang vocational. 70 points is ok naman, but I think if you can get more points than that, you'd have a higher and faster chance of getting ITA (just saying hehe). What I know is that if you lodge your 189/190 visa, during your waiting period, BVA (bridging visa A) will kick in, and your work rights as a student (20 hours per week) will get carried over. Whereas if you get a 485 visa first, then apply for 189/190 visa, you'd have full/unli work rights while waiting for your PR visa grant. Matagal-tagal din ang 9-12 months na processing time ng 189/190 visa ah.

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    @athelene Ah there's a bridging pala after studies? How long naman siya valid? 485 visa kasi hindi ko alam kun ano ang criteria nila that the course I will study is 'closely related' sa occupation e. Do you have any idea how to prove that? Thanks

95 pts total
    2017*****
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

@MLBS No, you only get a bridging visa once you lodge a substantial visa application (like 189/190). Your student visa is typically valid 2-3 months after the end of your course, so you have to lodge a substantial visa application before the student visa expires. If you plan to lodge your 189/190 after your studies, your BVA won't give you the full work rights (you'll be stuck with 20-hour fortnightly limit).

The BVA takes effect as soon your student visa expires and until your new substantial visa is granted. For example, if your student visa expires in September but you applied for your 189/190 around August, your BVA won't be in effect until September. The validity of the BVA depends on when you'll get the PR visa grant.

I've asked around in the forum about the requirements for 485 visa, completion letter and academic transcript daw from the school ang kailangan (I'm still a little hazy/unsure if kailangan ang skills assessment pag Diploma ang tinapos mo, if degree hindi ata kailangan). Some schools kasi during graduation lng nag-iissue ng degree diploma, which could be 4 months after you complete your courses (so expired na student visa mo by then), so schools issue Completion Letter declaring you've finished your program.

What are the potential occupations for people who finish the Work, Health and Safety course? Check its ANZSCO code, and compare it to the ANZSCO code of your occupation (where you have experience). It could be considered "closely related" if the first four digits are the same. For example, if your previous work experience was under 233411 (Electronics Engineer), your nominated occupation's ANZSCO code would ideally start with "2334." Beyond that, you might have to inquire with the Assessing Authority about this.

Sorry, ngayon lng nagsink-in sa akin yung sinabi mo na fallback mo yung bachelor's degree ang basis for your 189/190 application. hahaha. kala ko mag-aaral ka uli ng another bachelor's degree kaya nagcomment ako about the 3 years of additional study. hehe

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    edited March 2018
    @athelene Thanks for the detailed info! Mukang medyo mahihirapan ako sa 485 kung ANZSCO code ang basehan e, so I'll probably do PR agad. When you say visa application lodge, I assume na bayad na yun di ba? Not the EOI? So pag EOI palang wala pang way para makakuha ng BVA?

Kaya diploma nalang balak ko e since I was already positively assessed, and MLTSSL naman
    occupation ko. Gusto ko lang talaga makuha yung +5 pts with the bare minimum na gastos sa course, as well as something na related sa Engg. Sayang din 2 yrs e haha.

Isa pa pala, what if I am invited in my 189/190/489 visa while I am studying? Pwede ba idiscontinue ko na yung study ko? My EOIs are active since Sept, hoping na mainvite na ako eventually this year, kahit 489 FS lang.

95 pts total
    2017*****
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

@MLBS Yeah, as in visa application na, like meron ka na ITA. Kaya medyo iplano mo talaga yung timeline mo, like kung gagawa ka na ng SS profile habang student ka pa. Pero hindi mo madedeclare yung AU study requirement until matapos mo yung pag-aaral mo. Probably your points from now until you graduate from the diploma course will be the same. Mag-iiba lang sya kung natapos mo na yung studies and you can claim the AU study points. By the time you finish your studies, you will only have 2-3 months' window to get an ITA and complete your documentation for PR visa application.

It's possible na mainvite ka sa PR visa while studying, but since matagal pa naman yung visa grant, you can still study (and work) while waiting for the PR visa grant. Kung ma-grant naman yung PR visa mo before you finish studying, I think walang problema naman yun kasi as PR you can study or work naman. You just need to inform the school of the change of residency status. If you want to discontinue, nasa iyo yun, pero gumastos ka na rin ng pera so parang sayang naman (imho) lalo na kung patapos ka na sa studies.

@MLBS just read your post briefly, I might have missed out on some things but from what I've gathered, you just want extra points for your PR application and that your plan is to do studies in Australia to address this. From both professional and personal experience, it's very uncertain to use this approach. It's like the end doesn't justify the means kind of thing. You may get the points you want in 2-3 years timeframe but you also have to consider the changes in rules and processes along the way. It's highly possible you get your points but there's also an immensely high poossibility rules have changed by then. For this reason, I don't think this is a sensible approach.
    @MLBS rules keep on changing, occupation lists get updated every 6 months. We hear things within our industry and it's looking like immigration is getting rather tighter than easier. For this reason, your plan may not be the best approach. I was on a student visa myself. It may seem a straightforward approach - study there and work 20 hours a week...also the emotional, financial and psychological side of things. It's also not easy to get a decent job with only 20 hours work a week. Most end up doing odd jobs. It was easy for me somehow as I ended up working part time in Citibank only because I used to work there in Philippines and had an Australian colleague who somehow helped me get in Sydney, but still 20 hours of work wasn't enough to support my living expenses. I was lucky to have parents who could support me....despite these, it wasn't really an ideal and easy life. I could imagine how much tougher would have been for others who do not have those connections and support that I had. You really need to think about what your planning really carefully.
  • MLBSMLBS Manila
    @RheaMARN1171933 @athelene Thanks for the input guys :D Kaya lang naman ako matapang dito kasi I have uncles that will support me through my study e. If I am alone then hindi ko gagawin to. I'll consider everything you've stated guys. Many thanks.

95 pts total
    2017*****
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    edited March 2018
    @athelene @RheaMARN1171933 Another thing pala guys, what are the regional places in Australia? Is Perth a regional area?

edit: NVM I think I found the postcodes for regional areas

95 pts total
    2017*****
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

@MLBS My 2 cents. Since matagal-tagal pa ang 2 years i-check mo rin ang policies ng mga states when it comes to sponsoring someone who is currently living in another state. May mga states kasi na hindi nagssponsor unless graduate sa state nila or nakatira na sa state nila yung applicant. In case in 2 years time ay hindi na enough ang 70 points for 189, at least may idea ka kung saan states pwede mag-apply. Parang hindi na kasi nagssponsor ang WA unless medical profession.
  • MLBSMLBS Manila
    @maguero Will also consider this sir. Pag ganyan I might discontinue the 190 visa option. Alam ko rin WA doesn't nominate my occupation e.

95 pts total
    2017*****
    2018*****

2019*****
    2020*****
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged

@MLBS @maguero even states do change policies. In fact it's more frequent and unpredictable than immigration. They can suspend their sponsorship program and activate it again anytime and as they wish. Even migration agents like me need to keep up with these states to a point that it gets frustrating. Unfortunately, that's just how things are and we just need to play the game.