Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Is it hard to find jobs in Australia? Specially for new immigrant?

rjbinghayrjbinghay SingaporePosts: 10Member
edited August 2012 in Working in Australia
Good day to all!

I hope everybody is doing well!

1st post ko dito after lurking for almost a month. OK, I'll ask you all straight to the point.

Mahirap ba mag hanap ng trabaho sa Australia? Specifically in IT field?

e.g Programmer/System Analyst/Developer Programmer and etc.

a short background to my self: I'm 28 with 7-8 years IT experience working "abroad" (<- this abroad place is not for long term, that is why Im planning to migrate to Australia. ), I'm married with no child yet.<br />

Thank you in advance for replying my query. I hope someday I can help also those who are in need of

Comments

• aldousnowaldousnow Sydney
    I'll let you know once I get there. :)

Skilled – Family Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
    Nominated Occupation : Developer Programmer (261312)
    02/28/2011 - ACS Finalized the Case (261312, PIM3, Group A)
    03/07/2011 - IELTS Result Received L- 6.5, R-7.0, W-6.0, S-7.0, Overall Band Score-6.5 (BC)
    03/13/2011 - Lodged Visa Application (Online)
    11/09/2011 - CO Allocation
    12/02/2011 - Medicals Finalised
    12/02/2011 - FINISH LINE!! (Visa Grant)
    03/23/2012 - My first day @Melbourne
    04/14/2012 - Started looking for a .Net Developer job
    06/04/2012 - And finally got one! :)

• LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    edited February 2012
    You may check out http://ninemsn.seek.com.au for any job vacancies. What several people do is they apply for 175 visa from where they are right now and once it's approved, they use that site to look for jobs and schedule interviews....That way pag nasa Australia ka na, may sure job ka na :)
  • rjbinghayrjbinghay Singapore
    alright thanks!
  • adelaide_boiadelaide_boi Sydney
    edited May 2012

one hella' skilled visa grantee. Happily ended up as an ICT gov't employee where SKILLS Australia is just one desk away!

• rajattiwarirajattiwari New Delhi
    Dear Aldousnow and others,

I am starting out on the path that you traversed long ago and just wanted a little guidance.
    For ACS Assessment:-
    • I have a Bachelor of Technology Degree in Computer Science (4 years).
    • I have Microsoft Certifications. Two are latest.
    • I have around 8 years experience in core .Net Development field.

However none of my experience letters fulfill all criteria as specified by ACS. Here are details:-

• Start & Finish Dates of Employment - This criteria is fulfilled.
    • Description of Duties Performed - Missing. They contain the role or title only.
    • Hours worked - Full time or Part time - Do not mention explicitly.
    • Country of Employment - Do not mention explicitly but is evident from letterhead.
    • Company Letterhead and signed by the author - This criteria is fulfilled.

So did you faced such issue and if yes what was the impact. Did you ask your previous organisation to give letters in format prescribed as sample by ACS.

In anticipation of a response.

Thanks,
    Rajat Tiwari
  • TasBurrfootTasBurrfoot Osaka

I am starting out on the path that you traversed long ago and just wanted a little guidance.

However none of my experience letters fulfill all criteria as specified by ACS. Here are details:-

• Description of Duties Performed - Missing. They contain the role or title only.
    • Country of Employment - Do not mention explicitly but is evident from letterhead.

So did you faced such issue and if yes what was the impact. Did you ask your previous organisation to give letters in format prescribed as sample by ACS.

Thanks,
    Rajat Tiwari
    I am not aware of the requirements of ACS but from what I can see, your dilemma is mainly on the employment certificate wherein (1) hours worked was not specified and (2) duties were not placed in details.

Try asking HR from your firm to give you a certificate of employment that is in accordance to the requirements - hope this will not be too much to ask them though!

Cheers!

Primary Applicant: Wife
    Accountant (General): 221111

04 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module)
    07 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module) Speaking Part
    17 Aug 2012 - IELTS Results (L: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 7.0 S: 7.5 OBS: 8.0)
    24 Aug 2012 - CPAA Submitted (docs mailed same day via SG EMS)
    25 Sep 2012 - Received +Skills Assessment from CPAA
    25 Sep 2012 - Lodged EOI Application with 70pts
    30 Sep 2012 - Invited by DIAC to apply for 189 Visa
    01 Oct 2012 - Submitted 189 Visa Application
    20 Oct 2012 - Medical Examinations
    23 Oct 2012 - CO Assigned; Team 7 - SA
    05 Nov 2012 - Submitted SG PCC and NBI Clearance
    06 Nov 2012 - Visa Granted (IED: 23/10/2013)
    03 Apr 2013 - Flight to MEL
    03 Jun 2013 - started work
    12 Jun 2013 - wife started work
    15 Jun 2016 - applied for citizenship
    29 Jul 2016 - citizenship examination
    20 Oct 2016 - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!

Just to add....minsan hindi lang yung skills mo yung sukatan ng success rate sa employment...Always have a plan in hand (and a Plan B)...para pag may palya meron ka pa ring ibang options :)

Thanks,
    Rajat Tiwari
    Send me a soft copy of what you've sent to ACS (experience letter)
    We're on the same page with regards to your skills set. I might able to help you.
    here's my email. [email protected]

03/07/2011 - IELTS Result Received L- 6.5, R-7.0, W-6.0, S-7.0, Overall Band Score-6.5 (BC)

• lock_code2004lock_code2004 Perth
    edited October 2012
    Just to add....minsan hindi lang yung skills mo yung sukatan ng success rate sa employment...Always have a plan in hand (and a Plan B)...para pag may palya meron ka pa ring ibang options :)
    judging from his name, @rajattiwari is not pinoy... im making a guess..
    if he is not. then he wont be able to understand your post.. heheh ;)

Sep 24, 2011 - IELTS (L-8 R-8 W-8 S-7.5 : OBS-8)
    Jan 04, 2012 - EA application submitted | Feb 23, 2012 - EA assessment result (IE ANZSCO 233511)
    May 8, 2012 - Lodged GSM 175 online application | June 4, 2012 - CO Allocated
    June 22, 2012 - Medicals Finalized | Aug 30, 2012 - PCCs Completed (PH, UAE, USA)
    Sep 3, 2012 - Visa Granted (IED Jun 11, 2013) Thank You Lord!
    Oct 16-28, 2012 - Initial Entry Completed - Sydney
    July 28, 2013 - Final move to Perth
    Sep 9, 2013 - Started work with the same company i worked for in UAE/USA
    Oct 28, 2013 - Moved to another company.. ;)

@lock_code2004, I guess so...do away with my Tagalog post and the message "always have a back-up plan" will surface from it hehe

@rajattiwari we wish you luck!
  • pnoy_anopnoy_ano Mandaluyong
    Hi Pinoys at Au,
    I'd like to know if me age limit ba ang paghahanap ng work sa Au? Ok pa ba to migrate even more than 40 na? Thanks a lot. :)
    Hi Pinoys at Au,
    I'd like to know if me age limit ba ang paghahanap ng work sa Au? Ok pa ba to migrate even more than 40 na? Thanks a lot. :)
    Put it this way, mas lesser chance ka to be approved a visa if you migrate at age more than 40 as you will be claiming lesser points for age as compared perhaps to a 30 yr old lady... :)

• bmc_cpubmc_cpu North Ryde
    @rajattiwari you can create a version which ACS requires and ask your HR to have it instead of their template for COE's (this is what I did on my case). Otherwise, you create a statutory declaration and have it signed by a senior colleague, supervisor, etc. Check ACS guidelines for more info.

Subclass 190 - Software Engineer
    April 5- ACS Application
    May 12 - IELTS Exam
    May 25 - IELTS result (R&L - 7.5, S - 8, W - 7)
    May 30 - ACS Result ( Not suitable due to less than 4 yrs. exp./ 1 mo. short)
    July 9 - ACS Review Application
    July 19 - ACS Review result (Suitable); EOI Submission
    July 27 - NSW State Sponsorship Application ( Payment rejected)
    Aug 3 - Payment in AUD sent
    Aug 16 - Invitation and Visa Lodgment
    Aug 20 - GSM Adelaide Acknowledgement
    Aug 21 - Health Examinations List received
    September 5 - PCC
    September 6 - Medical Exam
    October 1 - Employment verification by the Embassy
    October 18 - Visa Grant
    October 26 - Notification of Grant letter arrived. Finish line

@pnoy_ano if you are applying for an independent visa...pahirapan yan... pero kung may mahanap kayong employer na magssponsor sa inyo, puwede kayo mabigyan ng visa na ganun hanggang sa edad na 50
  • pnoy_anopnoy_ano Mandaluyong
    Hi LokiJr,
    If in case I would be granted as Independent Visa, possible pa rin bang mkahanap ng work ang I.T professionals (Systems Analyst/ Analyst Programmer)? Am 40 yo. na. Thanks.
    Hi LokiJr,
    If in case I would be granted as Independent Visa, possible pa rin bang mkahanap ng work ang I.T professionals (Systems Analyst/ Analyst Programmer)? Am 40 yo. na. Thanks.
    definitely yes. mas madami experience mas better at mas madali makahanap work. dito nga sa work ko may mga senior citizen pa nagwowork e (no joke).

@pnoy_ano Actually the very reason why the Australian government prefers 'younger' migrants in their country is that the younger you are, the more years you have paying taxes. Sa Australia kasi 55 palang retirement na iniisip nila e...

So to answer your question, absolutely, may employer diyan na willing magsponsor sa inyo considering your work experience...Kelangan lang maghanap nang mabuti hehe
  • philAus2012philAus2012 Chiyoda
    Hi guys, I was granted a Skilled Migrant Visa subclass 175 (Engineering Technologist) just last week. It only took a little over 3 months processing from lodge to grant, I was so ecstatic when I got the news. Now, I started to shift my focus to job prospecting through the internet and most of the experiences I've read so far are so disheartening. I have never been unemployed since graduating from college. And the concept of job-hunting for an average of 3 months scares me. I was hired by an IT Company in Cebu 1 month before graduations, currently I've been outsourced in Japan for almost 6 years now and my work experience and expertise are in the field of Wireless Technologies and Antenna Design. I like my work in JP but since I am just a contract worker I started eyeing Aussie for the long term, plus my Tita who has lived there for almost 20 years now urged me enthusiastically. I was really motivated and hopeful when I was applying for Visa, now that I have it and have read some people's experiences like how Aussie employers care so much about "local experience", I'm having second thoughts. How hard is it really to find a job in your field in Aussie? Do any of you guys have regrets?
  • johnandjoshjohnandjosh Brisbane
    @philAus2012 Since you have your Tita who lives in Aus wala ka dapat ikatakot dahil kahit papaano may masasandalan ka. Yun ngang iba na walang kamag-anak dito (like me) naka survive ano kinatatakot mo? If you wouldn't try, nothing will happen to you. Lakasan lang ng loob yan.
  • SushigurlSushigurl Melbourne
    @philAus2012 Since you have your Tita who lives in Aus wala ka dapat ikatakot dahil kahit papaano may masasandalan ka. Yun ngang iba na walang kamag-anak dito (like me) naka survive ano kinatatakot mo? If you wouldn't try, nothing will happen to you. Lakasan lang ng loob yan.
    Johnandjosh is right. Im in the same boat as him. wala akong kakilala at walang tutulong or matirhan when I arrived and the economy was bad at that time. Like Moses, pray to God and trust in him. If Moses didnt take the first step in the water, the Red Sea wont part.

Hi guys, I was granted a Skilled Migrant Visa subclass 175 (Engineering Technologist) just last week. It only took a little over 3 months processing from lodge to grant, I was so ecstatic when I got the news. Now, I started to shift my focus to job prospecting through the internet and most of the experiences I've read so far are so disheartening. I have never been unemployed since graduating from college. And the concept of job-hunting for an average of 3 months scares me. I was hired by an IT Company in Cebu 1 month before graduations, currently I've been outsourced in Japan for almost 6 years now and my work experience and expertise are in the field of Wireless Technologies and Antenna Design. I like my work in JP but since I am just a contract worker I started eyeing Aussie for the long term, plus my Tita who has lived there for almost 20 years now urged me enthusiastically. I was really motivated and hopeful when I was applying for Visa, now that I have it and have read some people's experiences like how Aussie employers care so much about "local experience", I'm having second thoughts. How hard is it really to find a job in your field in Aussie? Do any of you guys have regrets?
    Put it this way bud - many would kill to be in the same position as you... :)

Lakas ng loob lang yan, konting tipid para maraming baon and lots of prayers!! :) Ika nga nila, if you will get consumed by fears, walang mangyayari! :)

All the best!!

Alam ko nagkalat na yung mga job sites na nagppublish ng trabaho sa Australia...so ingat ingat lang. Do your research of the company :)

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/poea-warns-job-scam-122325638.html
  • stolich18stolich18 Sydney
    @philAus2012 I would say, somehow, it's really a leap of faith because of the many unknowns. Perhaps the question is, what are your priorities/goals? Eventually would you like to be a permanent resident of another country like Au? Or just save up money with your work in Japan and go back to the Philippines pa rin? :) Do you want to secure your current position in your career? Because if ever you would migrate, you would have to start building your profile again, make new connections and move out of your comfort zone. But then hindi natin alam, bka an employer in AU can offer your goal position right away.

Many would say tough nga tlga makahanap ng work in AU given na wala pang local experience yung mga nagmmigrate hehe For some challenging but I have also seen success stories kahit dito sa pinoyau. May mga nabigyan ng work even before flying out to AU.

For me personally, it all boils down to trusting in the LORD with whatever plans He has in store for you. He has allowed you to have that visa and He won't add any troubles to that blessing. :) Continue to pray and seek His will about your plans to leave for AU. Sa totoo lang kahit matagal na kaming granted ng visa and we can leave na technically anytime, everyday we're still praying for good favor when we are about to leave na. And of course for us, maganda sana if we can leave na may work na tlga kaya tlgang nakaka-relate ako sa kwento mo... Kahit ako comfort zone ko na dito sa Pinas and pag naiisip ko na yung chores sa Australia, ako lahat gagawa, tlgang I need more of God's grace everyday. hehehe But then who knows, maybe it's time to take our faith to a higher level. :) Tama yung mga advise nila sayo dito. At the end of the day, it is still you who gets to decide naman but heed from what God has to say to you. :)

261313 (Software Engineer)

Feb.15.2012 - started working on ACS requirements
    Mar.02.2012 - submitted online ACS application and sent documents to ACS via Fedex
    Mar.05.2012 - ACS acknowledged actual documents
    Mar.21.2012 - ACS finalised assessment: Suitable
    Mar.31.2012 - IELTS exam with BC
    Apr.13.2012 - IELTS Results (L:8.5 R:7 W: 7 S: 8 OB: 7.5) Thank you LORD!
    Apr.14.2012 - Lodged 175 Online Application
    Apr.20.2012 - Completed Online Attachments
    May.24.2012 - "Application being processed further"
    May.29.2012 - CO Assigned :-)
    Jun.07.2012 - Uploaded NBI Clearance
    Jun.13.2012 - Medical/Health Requirements Finalised
    Jun.14.2012 - VISA GRANT! Thank you, LORD! :-)
    Jun.07.2013 - Initial Entry Date Deadline
    Apr.28.2013 - Initial Entry (Sydney)
    Jun.28.2013 - Verbal Job Offer (Melbourne)
    Jul.08.2013 - First day of Work and first day of child care for my son (Melbourne)
    Aug.21.2013 - First day of Work in Sydney

"Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom." Psalm 145:3

• skylineskyline Sydney
    @philAus2012:Yes it's hard since you'll be competing against the locals and other foreigners.But keep in mind that getting a job in here is not impossible.Keep the faith :)

"If you have a dream, protect it. Love it. Chase it. And one day you will live it"

Parang fresh grad experience lang yan e hehe...Pag fresh grad ka, hirap din makahanap ng trabaho kasi 'kulang sa work experience'...but if you can weather out the first years of being a newbie, it pays off eventually.

Mahirap talaga magsimula nang bago but hearing the testimonies of our friends in Australia...mukhang sulit naman lahat hehe
  • rajattiwarirajattiwari New Delhi

Thanks,
    Rajat Tiwari
    Send me a soft copy of what you've sent to ACS (experience letter)
    We're on the same page with regards to your skills set. I might able to help you.
    here's my email. [email protected]
    Thanks a lot aldousnow.
    I will be sending you my experience letter shortly.

Thanks,
    Rajat
    @rajattiwari I've already checked your experience letters. Yep, you need to revise these letters. These are somewhat the same format as a Certificate of Employment. I can send you my own format that I've used for ACS as well. I hope that helps.

• eden17eden17 Singapore
    Hello,

My hubby and I are currently working in Singapore. We are both Registered nurses in the Philippines but not in SG. My position here is as a clinic assistant ( independent primary health care setting) and my hubby landed a job in Nursing Home which has been really difficult and degrading according to my husband. I don't have a hospital experience but my hubby had. He also was a ship Nurse prior to his work in SG. With our current position and work experience here in Singapore, would any of you know if these are in demand in Australia or is there a hope for this line of work in Australia. We are grateful of being given the chance to work in SG but it's becoming really hard for us here lately as options for self growth as well as the chance of having a PR status is very slim. We are in our mid 20s and early 30s. Hope someone can give us an info.

Thank you and God bless! :)
    Hello,

My hubby and I are currently working in Singapore. We are both Registered nurses in the Philippines but not in SG. My position here is as a clinic assistant ( independent primary health care setting) and my hubby landed a job in Nursing Home which has been really difficult and degrading according to my husband. I don't have a hospital experience but my hubby had. He also was a ship Nurse prior to his work in SG. With our current position and work experience here in Singapore, would any of you know if these are in demand in Australia or is there a hope for this line of work in Australia. We are grateful of being given the chance to work in SG but it's becoming really hard for us here lately as options for self growth as well as the chance of having a PR status is very slim. We are in our mid 20s and early 30s. Hope someone can give us an info.

Thank you and God bless! :)
    there is a thread for nurses here... hanap mo nalang but i can recall, you need to study nursing here (length is dependent on your experience i guess) in order to be able to get your nursing license.

all the best.

• aeonsaeons Dubai
    Hi admin new here tanong ko lang kung may topic ba dito na from dubai going to oz. right now im base here in dubai. many thanks