Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Aussie-style CV

MetaformMetaform MelbournePosts: 506Member
edited October 2012 in Working in Australia
So I'm giving my CV an overhaul and so far I've been getting a mishmash of information regarding the format. I've read from somewhere that some personal info may be left out (such as age and hobbies) while this website suggests they must be included.

Guys who successfully landed a job in Oz, what say you?

Edit: Also, is there a particular CV format for each profession? Or do we just conform with the standard chronological format?

CO and Visa Grant: 9 Oct 2012
The beginning of the rest of our lives: January 4, 2013

Comments

• 021607021607 Sydney
    - yes, in chronological order.
    - hobbies and age not included.
    - as concise as possible.
    - highlight your qualifications such that they tailor-fit the requirements of the job you are applying for, meaning you can have several versions of your resume :)
  • MetaformMetaform Melbourne
    Should the visa status be indicated? It should be plus points if the employer doesn't have to sponsor the applicant.

• 021607021607 Sydney
    Agree. I put this in mine - "Permanent Resident of Australia".
  • LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    Yung work experience at trainings attended, gaano kadetalyado dapat?
  • MetaformMetaform Melbourne
    Re: contact details. It is highly recommended to include an Australian address kahit wala pa sa Oz, but how about the phone number? Should I put in my Dubai number?

• johnandjoshjohnandjosh Brisbane
    @Metaform, in my case, I put my friend's address and contact no. in Sydney + my email address. The employer rang my friend's phone, sinabi nya lang na nakaalis na ako but he will inform me of the call. The employer then sent me an email inviting me to participate in an interview.
    Tanong ko lang po kung hindi ba nila iisiping misleading yung pagsulat ng contact details ng iba sa CV? Employers won't take offense on that?
  • johnandjoshjohnandjosh Brisbane
    @LokiJr hindi naman siguro. Kung may email address ka naman nakalagay sa CV, the employer can contact you through that email address. If they believe that you are really qualified for the job, they'll find ways para ma-contact ka.
    Cool to hear that! hehe...asikasuhin ko muna visa hehe
  • RenRen Adelaide, SA
    @Metaform
    Hi there! I was told that not to put anything that MIGHT give them an idea na bago ka lang here sa AU. So thats why I never include details like visa type (so they will assume na local ka), and the location of where you work. It worked for me though :)
    Depending on the situation, Functional resume worked for me better.

Accommodations suggested websites
    http://pinoyau.info/discussion/1573/where-to-look-for-accommodations-suggested-websites-here/p1
    Job Searching Tips

http://pinoyau.info/discussion/849/job-searching-tips/p1

Medical Laboratory Technician 311213 (SA State Sponsored 475) 21.8.10 IELTS/ 7.12.09 AIMS assessment/ 25.03.11 SA SS approved/ 27.03.11 VISA lodge DIAC/ 03.05.11 VISA grant/ 25.06.11 Initial Entry/17.10.11 Work/ 08.01.14 PR/ Citizen 30.08.16

“The relation between what we see and what we know is never settled. Each evening we see the sun set. We know that the earth is turning away from it. Yet the knowledge, the explanation, never quite fits the sight.”
    ― John Berger, Ways of Seeing

• JClemJClem Melbourne
    edited October 2012
    For me there is no such thing as Aussie-style CV. If you look at different examples of Australian format of CVs, iba-iba siya. Walang specific na format pa din. It's either functional or chronological format only. Just edit it based on the role/position you are applying for. Tama din, do not include the visa type nor the visa grant number unless the recruiter/employer request for it. Just put in the header "Permanent Resident of Australia". Eto yung format ng header ng CV ko...

<<Name>>
    Australia Permanent Resident
    <<Mobile Number>>
    <<Address>>
    <<Email>>

Nominated Occupation: Software Engineer (261313) - Husband is the primary applicant.

10.21.2012 - Arrived in Melbourne. This is the day that the Lord has made. :)
    03.26.2012 - Visa granted. God is good, all the time! All the time, God is good! :)
    03.23.2012 - PCC submitted and medicals finalized
    03.02.2012 - Application being processed further / CO assigned
    06.26.2011 - Lodged Visa 175 application

• onesilvertwoonesilvertwo Kuala Lumpur
    hi @JClem, nasa AU ka na pala! :) kamusta ang Melbourne? diyan din destination namin. so pagdating pala ng time na maghahanap na ako ng work, tatanungin kita kung may opening sa office mo. hahaha!

I agree sa opinion mo about the CV, mukhang ang mahalaga ay yung pag edit ng CVs based sa position that you are currently applying..

dun naman sa visa entitlement details sa cv, yung current ko ngayon, sinulat ko pati grant date at visa subclass..yaan mo aalisin ko na iyon titira ko nalang yung "permanent resident of australia "

Visa Subclass 175 - Skilled Independent
    Nominated Occupation : Analyst Programmer (261311)
    20/06/2011 - ACS Received the Application (via Courier)
    03/08/2011 - ACS Finalised the Case (PIM3, Group A)
    03/09/2011 - IELTS General Examination (BC)
    14/09/2011 - IELTS Result Received L- 7.5, R-7.5, W-7.0, S-8.0
    27/10/2011 - Lodged the Visa Application (Online)
    13/04/2012 - CO Allocated (Team 7)
    14/04/2012 to 20/06/2012 - processing on hold, waiting for wife to deliver
    13/07/2012 - PCCs submitted
    21/07/2012 - Medicals Conducted
    23/07/2012 - Medicals Finalised
    25/07/2012 - Visa Granted!

When you compose your CV for Australian employers, how detailed should it be and how many years of work experience is still considered relevant for them?

I would suppose kasi pag 10 years ka na nagtrabaho at kung sinulat lahat ng past work niya baka naman sobra haba hehe
  • JClemJClem Melbourne
    Kelan target entry date nyo? :) Ok naman dito sa Melbourne. Kelangan mo lang mag-adjust sa weather. Nung first week namin dito last week, super lamig. Ngayon naman mainit pero sabi kasi nila pa-summer na daw kasi. :) Hopefully makakuha na ng work na ok and ma-refer kita. :)
    hi @JClem, nasa AU ka na pala! :) kamusta ang Melbourne? diyan din destination namin. so pagdating pala ng time na maghahanap na ako ng work, tatanungin kita kung may opening sa office mo. hahaha!

I agree sa opinion mo about the CV, mukhang ang mahalaga ay yung pag edit ng CVs based sa position that you are currently applying..

dun naman sa visa entitlement details sa cv, yung current ko ngayon, sinulat ko pati grant date at visa subclass..yaan mo aalisin ko na iyon titira ko nalang yung "permanent resident of australia "

Nominated Occupation: Software Engineer (261313) - Husband is the primary applicant.

10.21.2012 - Arrived in Melbourne. This is the day that the Lord has made. :)
    03.26.2012 - Visa granted. God is good, all the time! All the time, God is good! :)
    03.23.2012 - PCC submitted and medicals finalized
    03.02.2012 - Application being processed further / CO assigned
    06.26.2011 - Lodged Visa 175 application