Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Nursing Schools in Australia - Applying for 2016

mele31mele31 MandaluyongPosts: 10Member
Hello everyone! :)

Looking for recommendations for a good nursing school in Australia (preferably in Sydney). I already have an undergrad degree in Early Childhood Development, but I would like to take up BS Nursing -- hopefully in a school/uni that would credit some of the units I've already taken here in the Philippines.

Comments

• GoldSeekerGoldSeeker Adelaide
    Hi! I know UTS and UWS both offer a 2 year graduate entry program to those who have acquired a degree already.

And why not pursue a degree related to your previous studies? Nasa SOL naman ata siya.

Feb 2016 - BS Nursing (Graduate Entry 2yr Program)
    Oct 2016 - employed as nursing assistant with agency
    Jan 2017 - employed as nursing assistant at public hospital
    Dec 2017 - received AHPRA registration
    Dec 2017 - granted Temporary Graduate Visa (485)
    Dec 2017 - took PTE to increase points for PR application (Superior 1st take)
    Jan 2018 - job hunt for RN Positions/awaiting for ANMAC assessment for PR application
    Feb 2018 - ANMAC assessment approved/EOI 189 (70pts) and applied for 190 SA state nomination
    Mar 2018 - ITA 190 SA (70pts), visa lodge, attaching documents
    Apr 2018 - commence work as RN

• mele31mele31 Mandaluyong
    @GoldSeeker Thank you for the reply! :)

I've been thinking about it, and I've decided to pursue a career in Nursing, instead. Thank you for informing me about the Graduate Entry Program. Will definitely look into it. Would you happen to know anyone here who have undergone that specific program in either UTS or UWS?

• bejer3mybejer3my Singapore
    I'm applying for UWS, BS Nursing but I graduated last 2004 lolz! So i don't think I can be qualified for Graduate Entry Program. I just submitted my docs to IDP. Im hoping Feb 2016 start date. I decided UWs since my friend suggested this by location. Its nearer to their public transpo.
    @bejer3my Happy to find someone who's in the same boat! :) I graduated last 2007, and I didn't take BSN here in PH, so I'm also not sure if they can accept me in the GEP. I'm also planning to go to IDP for assistance on this. Can I ask why you chose UWS among all other schools for nursing?
  • superluckycloversuperluckyclover Melbourne, VIC
    @mele31 Ilang years yung program if ever?

Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

261311 - Analyst Programmer | Age: 30 | Education: 15 | Australian Education: 5 | English Proficiency: 20 | NAATI CCL: 5 | Professional Year: 5 | Total: 80

Timeline:
    26 Oct 2015 - Visa 573 Granted
    01 Nov 2015 - The Eagle has landed
    02 Nov 2015 - First Day High
    15 Feb 2017 - Hubby and Bubba joined me in Melbourne
    01 Dec 2017 - Graduated Masters!
    21 Mar 2018 - Visa 485 Granted
    20 Feb 2019 - Sat NAATI CCL Exam in Adelaide
    21 Mar 2019 - ACS Skills Assessment Positive, Qualification has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Master Degree with a Major in computing.
    23 Apr 2019 - Medicals Cleared - No actions required
    29 Apr 2019 - Submitted EOI for 189
    11 Jul 2019 - ITA received
    23 Jul 2019 - Lodged Visa 189! Speaking life over our PR application ♡
    04 Feb 2020 - CO Michael Contact (Asking for Evidence of NAATI CCL pass document, Status: Initial Assessment)
    04 Feb 2020 - Responded to CO Contact, attached evidence of NAATI CCL documents (Status: Further Assessment)
    04 Feb 2020 - Provided Compliment Feedback via DHA website
    06 Feb 2020 - Received Feedback Acknowledgement email from CO Sebastian
    06 Feb 2020 - Golden Visa Grant! PRAISE GOD!
    08 Apr 2022 - Received Citizenship Interview & Test Appointment letter
    27 Apr 2022 - Australian Citizenship by Conferral approved
    20 July 2022 - Australian Citizenship Oath Taking Whitehorse Council

@superluckyclover Hello. I haven't really researched on it yet, but from browsing through some of the unis' websites, the Graduate Entry Program will only take 2 years (vs 3 years of the regular BSN Program).

Are you also planning to take up BSN this 2016? What are the schools that you've considered so far? :)
    @mele31 Hi hehe, actually yan din pinapa consider sakin ng friends ko sa Australia kasi malaki yung sweldo but I opt not na lang parang ang hirap kasi i-defend sa GTE kung may bachelors na ko tapos bachelors ulit tapos nursing pa. Ayon yan sa IDP or baka nega lang yung counselor dun sa IDP? May success story na kaya dito na ganun din ang field na kinuha? Masters po kukuhanin ko.

Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

261311 - Analyst Programmer | Age: 30 | Education: 15 | Australian Education: 5 | English Proficiency: 20 | NAATI CCL: 5 | Professional Year: 5 | Total: 80

Timeline:
    21 Mar 2019 - ACS Skills Assessment Positive, Qualification has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Master Degree with a Major in computing.
    04 Feb 2020 - CO Michael Contact (Asking for Evidence of NAATI CCL pass document, Status: Initial Assessment)
    04 Feb 2020 - Responded to CO Contact, attached evidence of NAATI CCL documents (Status: Further Assessment)

@superluckyclover Oh. Well, maybe I'll give it a try first ('cause that's really the best option for me, so far) -- then if it doesn't work out, will think of another way. :)
    @mele31 just think positive po ang kaya nyo yan. You will be a legend! :)

Timeline:

@GoldSeeker Thank you for the reply! :)

I've been thinking about it, and I've decided to pursue a career in Nursing, instead. Thank you for informing me about the Graduate Entry Program. Will definitely look into it. Would you happen to know anyone here who have undergone that specific program in either UTS or UWS?

Sorry, Idk anyone yet who has undergone the graduate entry program. I'm still applying as well. :)

Jan 2018 - job hunt for RN Positions/awaiting for ANMAC assessment for PR application
    Feb 2018 - ANMAC assessment approved/EOI 189 (70pts) and applied for 190 SA state nomination

@GoldSeeker Oh, so you're also looking into Graduate Entry Program, BSN?! What universities are you considering to apply for?
    @GoldSeeker Oh, so you're also looking into Graduate Entry Program, BSN?! What universities are you considering to apply for?
    Yes. I already got accepted at Flinders. But I just lodged an application to UTAS cos I just learned about their scholarship program to international students. However, the course is unlike the graduate entry program. They call it fast-track because you'll be taking other subjects during the breaks. But from what I understood, you'll still be taking the same subjects with that of in regular BSN program.

I think there's also a graduate entry program being offered at QUT.

@GoldSeeker Thank you for all these info. :)

It seems like you don't have a preferred city. Are you okay with living anywhere in Austalia? 'Cause the main reason why I'm leaning towards Sydney is because I have a close friend there and that he might be able to help me in getting a part-time work ('cause I would really need one once I get there). Though from what I've read so far, tuition fees and cost of living in Sydney are relatively more expensive compared to other cities'.

What factors are you taking into consideration in selecting a school?
    No worries!

Melbourne was actually my preferred city since my sister resides there. However, the only program that they have is that of UniMelb's which is quite expensive and (accdg to some comments) has a high drop out rate. Although, I have relatives in Adelaide as well.

Yes, from what I remember, UTS and UWS grad entry programs cost 30k/yr which is 5-6k more expensive than Flinders.

Based from what I've read from other comments, referrals really are helpful when it comes to finding work.

Mainly the cost of the program, I guess. I used to read about rankings too but an agent told me that it won't matter that much when it comes to finding employment. Minor factors nalang yung part-time work and knowing family and friends around the area.

@GoldSeeker My main concern is the program cost, too. The fee for international students is no joke! :/

I'm now browsing through the graduate entry program of Flinders and the fast-track program of UTAS (which, fortunately, can be done in their Sydney campus). I'm really eyeing these since I want to graduate as soon as possible. My only concern is, since these are accelerated programs, the acad load will probably be jam-packed -- do you think we can still do part-time work while enrolled in either program?
    @GoldSeeker My main concern is the program cost, too. The fee for international students is no joke! :/

I'm now browsing through the graduate entry program of Flinders and the fast-track program of UTAS (which, fortunately, can be done in their Sydney campus). I'm really eyeing these since I want to graduate as soon as possible. My only concern is, since these are accelerated programs, the acad load will probably be jam-packed -- do you think we can still do part-time work while enrolled in either program?

As far as I can remember, it is only the locals who can do the fast track program in Sydney. Maybe you can double check.

That I'm not sure. Although there are only 3 subjects per sem in Flinders and that includes the placement. Most people say that working and studying at the same time might be difficult but manageable.

@GoldSeeker How did you process your uni applications? Did you do it by yourself or thru an agent?

@GoldSeeker How did you process your uni applications? Did you do it by yourself or thru an agent?

I applied through an agent. I suggest that you do too. Some offer free services because they have a commission with every deal they make I believe. At AMS, they charge you 2k for the whole processing.

• kymmekymme Western Australia
    try IDP. no cost at all. its for free :)

Registered Nurse Nec

06/15 - touchdown Oz
    07/15 - start of classes (Bachelor in Nursing)
    05/16 - passed OET (after 4 failed attempts with IELTS and PTE)
    07/16 - finished uni
    07/16 - received AHPRA Australian Registered Nurse rego
    08/16 - student visa 500 (Diploma)
    10/16 - started working as an RN

07/09/17 - Submitted EOI for State Nom Vic with 60points

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

• MiaMia NZ
    @GoldSeeker there are unis offering graduate entry nursing in Melbourne other than Unimelb.

Monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/3966/
    La Trobe: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/handbook/current/undergraduate/she/health-sciences/single-degrees/hbnprg.htm
    Deakin: http://www.deakin.edu.au/course/master-of-nursing-practice-nursing-and-midwifery

Definitely cheaper. As for the quality of teaching my research tells me La Trobe is a great school with placements in large hospitals. This would be my first choice, if ever. Then Deakin. Monash is a GO8 school like Unimelb so I am expecting the cost will be similar to Unimelb.
    @GoldSeeker there are unis offering graduate entry nursing in Melbourne other than Unimelb.

Monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/3966/
    La Trobe: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/handbook/current/undergraduate/she/health-sciences/single-degrees/hbnprg.htm
    Deakin: http://www.deakin.edu.au/course/master-of-nursing-practice-nursing-and-midwifery

Definitely cheaper. As for the quality of teaching my research tells me La Trobe is a great school with placements in large hospitals. This would be my first choice, if ever. Then Deakin. Monash is a GO8 school like Unimelb so I am expecting the cost will be similar to Unimelb.
    Im also after the points for PR. Both programs by Monash and Deakin dont reach 2 years. While the graduate entry program by La Trobe is only offered to locals. Please correct me if Im mistaken but thank you for bringing these up as well:)

• MiaMia NZ
    @GoldSeeker I totally forgot about that then yes, only UniMelb will qualify. The Nursing Science degree from Unimelb is still very 'new'. If I wanted to do nursing right, I would go to the schools who had been offering Nursing for a longer time.

I'll go to Deakin and fill in the requirement with other TAFE courses. =) I wanted to take the Nursing path as well but I am changing my mind... Proving you're a GTE student is hard enough! I've been reading stories about recent nursing graduates not having enough new grad places... how different is that from home?

If I may ask, what's your degree in the Philippines?
    @GoldSeeker I totally forgot about that then yes, only UniMelb will qualify. The Nursing Science degree from Unimelb is still very 'new'. If I wanted to do nursing right, I would go to the schools who had been offering Nursing for a longer time.

I'll go to Deakin and fill in the requirement with other TAFE courses. =) I wanted to take the Nursing path as well but I am changing my mind... Proving you're a GTE student is hard enough! I've been reading stories about recent nursing graduates not having enough new grad places... how different is that from home?

If I may ask, what's your degree in the Philippines?
    Do you mean taking some pre-requisites at TAFE then eventually enrolling at Deakin? Yes, but a lot of our kababayans here still manage to be granted a visa. :) I believe it is much harder to be employed here in PHL. I got to read about that too but a lot of nurses have been retiring as well. And it is advised that newly grads go on to fields of nursing that are quite unpopular among locals such as aged care and mental health.

I finished Pharmacy in the Philippines.