Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Marrying an Australian citizen - which visa should I get?

Hello, it's my first time posting but I've been visiting the site for some time now. We're a young Filipina-Australian couple planning to marry in the near future. I live in the Philippines while my boyfriend lives in Australia. We've been together for two years, and he's visited frequently and met my family. We're just waiting for me to finish college as per my parents' wishes before we actually get married. It will take me 1-2 years more to finish, and if so by God's grace we would be 4 years together then. 🙂

We have ample time before we intend to marry, but we would like to be prepared and know what to expect when the time comes. I'm confused as to which visa is right for me if I intend to be with my partner and live in Australia permanently.

I read there are two visas that I can apply for: Prospective Marriage or Partner visa.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the difference between the two visas? Is one cheaper, easier, or faster to process than the other? Which one is advisable in my case?

2. Does it matter where we get married? We're planning to do the wedding ceremony in the Philippines so I can be with my family, but I read that some get married while on visit visa then apply for a partner visa onshore. Is there a difference or benefit in either option?

3. How long prior should I apply or start preparing and processing for my visa? How long is the expected waiting time?

4. Lastly, can I study in Australia as soon as my visa is approved? I plan to go back to study in Australia and get a nursing degree (for better pay and career prospects - I'm studying for a business degree right now). My boyfriend is fully supportive of this and suggests I can avail of HECS or government study loans though upon checking it's only applicable to Australian citizens. I read that I will need to live on permanent residency for at least a year before I can apply for citizenship.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Comments

• fgsfgs Cooper Basin

@Caryl21

I have a few questions:

1. What's the difference between the two visas? Is one cheaper, easier, or faster to process than the other? Which one is advisable in my case?
    • Currently, there are three types of partner visas:
      Prospective marriage, onshore spouse visa and offshore spouse visa. The latter 2 visas, you should be married before applying while the PMV,you intend to marry pa lang. You will be given a 9 months visa and should get married before it expires. After that, you can apply any of the last 2 visas depending on your location when you apply. Spouse visa is in 2 stages, u will be given 2 years temp visa first then can apply for PR after that. Total cost of any of the visas around $7500.
    1. Does it matter where we get married? We're planning to do the wedding ceremony in the Philippines so I can be with my family, but I read that some get married while on visit visa then apply for a partner visa onshore. Is there a difference or benefit in either option?

Place of marriage doesnt matter. You can come as tourist and apply for onshore spouse visa( so dapat kasal na kayo). Once u applied and waiting for approval you are covered by medicare, can study, work and live here till your application is decided

1. How long prior should I apply or start preparing and processing for my visa? How long is the expected waiting time?

Check the docs required and u can start preparing. Current waiting time is 1 to 2 years. PMV is shorter but when u apply for spouse visa, same waiting time.

1. Lastly, can I study in Australia as soon as my visa is approved? I plan to go back to study in Australia and get a nursing degree (for better pay and career prospects - I'm studying for a business degree right now). My boyfriend is fully supportive of this and suggests I can avail of HECS or government study loans though upon checking it's only applicable to Australian citizens. I read that I will need to live on permanent residency for at least a year before I can apply for citizenship.

HECS is only for citizens. There are courses funded by the govt and u can avail of it even while on spouse visa. For citizenship application, minimum stay of 4 years and 1 year of that on PR visa.

If u want to be with ur partner here in australia soonest, get married, come here on TV and apply for onshore spouse visa. The approval of PMV is shorter but then you are given 9 mos to get married and Still have to apply spouse visa later. Sa offshore spouse visa naman, you can visit him on TV while waiting for your offshore spouse visa application to be decided