Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Can I still study while on a post graduate visa?

fasttimesfasttimes QueenslandPosts: 10Member

hello,

Im just wondering if I can still study if ever I will be having my post graduate visa? im currently taking MBA and they said the chances are slim for a PR pathway on this course, im thinking of studying cert 3 in cookery or diploma in community services while i will be on my post graduate visa to increases my chances for gettijg PR. Do you think that will be a good thing to do? Thank you for your insights.

Comments

• magueromaguero Adelaide

@fasttimes The chances of getting a skilled immigrant visa is highly dependent on the occupation that you will nominate. Your MBA can still be useful if you can use it to increase your points for a relevant occupation. If you study something else, you should check what occupation that course will allow you to nominate AND what the requirements are for you to get a positive skills assessment in that occupation.

• fortdomengfortdomeng Posts: 71Member

@fasttimes said:
    hello,

Im just wondering if I can still study if ever I will be having my post graduate visa? im currently taking MBA and they said the chances are slim for a PR pathway on this course, im thinking of studying cert 3 in cookery or diploma in community services while i will be on my post graduate visa to increases my chances for gettijg PR. Do you think that will be a good thing to do? Thank you for your insights.

If may partner ka, take this opportunity para mag trade course sya. Mas mataas ang chances daw mainvite sa trade occupation dahil less competition

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@fasttimes said:
    hello,

I would not recommend wasting the graduate visa just to study Certificate III. You only get to apply for it once in your life, so you better maximize the 2 years you get by working and earning decent income (assuming your Master's degree is for 2 years, and will make you eligible for a 2-year Post-Study Graduate Visa).

Of course, how you use the graduate visa is up to you, but the visa fee of the graduate visa (AUD 1650) is twice that of the student visa (AUD 620), and if you can nominate an occupation on the MLTSSL that you can get experience in while on your graduate visa, you can get 5 points from working onshore for at least a year. If you complete your Master's and go on to study Certificate III directly after, your graduate visa will only be eligible for 18 months (Graduate Work Stream; needs skills assessment). Your eligibility for the 2-year Post-Study Graduate Visa lapses 6 months after completion of your Master's; it won't carry over to after your Cert III studies (meaning the last qualification you get will dictate which grad visa you can apply for).

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• fasttimesfasttimes Queensland

@athelene said:

@fasttimes said:
    hello,

I would not recommend wasting the graduate visa just to study Certificate III. You only get to apply for it once in your life, so you better maximize the 2 years you get by working and earning decent income (assuming your Master's degree is for 2 years, and will make you eligible for a 2-year Post-Study Graduate Visa).

Of course, how you use the graduate visa is up to you, but the visa fee of the graduate visa (AUD 1650) is twice that of the student visa (AUD 620), and if you can nominate an occupation on the MLTSSL that you can get experience in while on your graduate visa, you can get 5 points from working onshore for at least a year. If you complete your Master's and go on to study Certificate III directly after, your graduate visa will only be eligible for 18 months (Graduate Work Stream; needs skills assessment). Your eligibility for the 2-year Post-Study Graduate Visa lapses 6 months after completion of your Master's; it won't carry over to after your Cert III studies (meaning the last qualification you get will dictate which grad visa you can apply for).

thank you for insight. im planning to study cert 3 while on my post graduate visa. do u think would that be possible? cos i can still work full time in hospitality while doing cert3 and classes are only once a week. and it will give me additional option if ever i want to nominate being a cook or chef as a skill in getting 491 or other relevant visas for PR.

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited October 2020

@fasttimes said:

thank you for insight. im planning to study cert 3 while on my post graduate visa. do u think would that be possible? cos i can still work full time in hospitality while doing cert3 and classes are only once a week. and it will give me additional option if ever i want to nominate being a cook or chef as a skill in getting 491 or other relevant visas for PR.

Well it seems you've decided on what to do. You'll have to confirm with the school you are planning to study Cert III if you could study part-time (or full-time if you can handle it) on your graduate visa, considering they will be issuing your eCoE. Have you asked around from other Cert III students about the study load?

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam