Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Study Law for Permanent Residency

Hi everyone!

I am a CPA, finished my Juris Doctor degree and recently took the Bar Exam in the Philippines (no result yet). I just want to ask the ff:
1. What would be the best thing a Phil Lawyer should do in AU? Should I apply for the assessment of my juris doctor degree and study? Or should I look for a job in relation to legal profession?
2. In case I would apply for the assessment and study, what is the best law school?
3. Lastly, is legal profession in AU a path for permanent residency?

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited March 2023

@CharlieG said:
    Hi everyone!

I am a CPA, finished my Juris Doctor degree and recently took the Bar Exam in the Philippines (no result yet). I just want to ask the ff:
    1. What would be the best thing a Phil Lawyer should do in AU? Should I apply for the assessment of my juris doctor degree and study? Or should I look for a job in relation to legal profession?
    2. In case I would apply for the assessment and study, what is the best law school?
    3. Lastly, is legal profession in AU a path for permanent residency?

Thank you so much in advance.

There are two types of lawyers in Australia, depending on how you practice law: solicitor or barrister. Before you can practice law here, you need to get your credentials assessed and get registered in the local state/territory (research where you want to get registered or qualified). If they tell you that your JD is not enough and that you need to study something, you may need to do that. Not all PH degrees (bachelor, JD, masters) are recognized here in Australia.

If you will study in Australia, as long as the course/program is recognized by the state/territory's Legal Practitioner/Legal Admissions Board, it usually doesn't matter which law school you go to. The Australian education system is robust in that the content and quality of education is consistent across universities. Of course, if you prefer to study in a more popular university, that comes with a higher price tag.

The solicitor and barrister occupation are on the MLTSSL, so yes there is a potential pathway for PR, but it's possibly going to be a lengthy process (especially if you need to do practical training too).

https://lawyer.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-a-solicitor-and-a-barrister-in-australia/

CharlieG

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• CharlieGCharlieG NSW

Thank you for this info @athelene. :)