Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Tips and tricks on how to make recruiters and employers to call you

cchamylcchamyl BrisbanePosts: 738Member
Hello forumers...

I created this discussion para sa mga new migrants and are now planning or already did the big move to Australia. I wanted sana a discussion wherein we can share experiences on how to to make the best resume and cover letter to make recruiters call you.. because like the others, it's very frustrating because i don't know what's wrong with my resume coz my fne isn't ringing.. hahah.. para din to sa mga nakakuha ng work na.. share din sana kung gano katagal nakahanap ng work para magkaroon ng baseline mga new migrants on how long ang job hunting... :)

so guys, hope you can help. :)

Skilled Migration (261112 Systems Analyst)

November 20, 2013 - Visa Grant (IED: July 22, 2014)
April 19, 2014 - Arrived in Melbourne
May 2, 2014 - Job offer
May 7, 2014 - First day of work

It is only through GOD that we can achieve success..

Comments

• TasBurrfootTasBurrfoot Osaka
    Hello forumers...

I created this discussion para sa mga new migrants and are now planning or already did the big move to Australia. I wanted sana a discussion wherein we can share experiences on how to to make the best resume and cover letter to make recruiters call you.. because like the others, it's very frustrating because i don't know what's wrong with my resume coz my fne isn't ringing.. hahah.. para din to sa mga nakakuha ng work na.. share din sana kung gano katagal nakahanap ng work para magkaroon ng baseline mga new migrants on how long ang job hunting... :)

Call the recruiter/HR personally and ask if the job is still available...

My first job was secured this way; the job has been posted for a while and I just tried calling the HR in charge of the post - so ayun, we ended up discussing about it and he told me to hand in my application.

A few days later, I got an invite to an interview and the rest is history...

It pays to call and ask. :)

Oh yeah, don't make your resume too "verbous"; 3 page max and make sure you format it correctly to make it very pleasing to the eyes.

Primary Applicant: Wife
    Accountant (General): 221111

04 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module)
    07 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module) Speaking Part
    17 Aug 2012 - IELTS Results (L: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 7.0 S: 7.5 OBS: 8.0)
    24 Aug 2012 - CPAA Submitted (docs mailed same day via SG EMS)
    25 Sep 2012 - Received +Skills Assessment from CPAA
    25 Sep 2012 - Lodged EOI Application with 70pts
    30 Sep 2012 - Invited by DIAC to apply for 189 Visa
    01 Oct 2012 - Submitted 189 Visa Application
    20 Oct 2012 - Medical Examinations
    23 Oct 2012 - CO Assigned; Team 7 - SA
    05 Nov 2012 - Submitted SG PCC and NBI Clearance
    06 Nov 2012 - Visa Granted (IED: 23/10/2013)
    03 Apr 2013 - Flight to MEL
    03 Jun 2013 - started work
    12 Jun 2013 - wife started work
    15 Jun 2016 - applied for citizenship
    29 Jul 2016 - citizenship examination
    20 Oct 2016 - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!

• cchamylcchamyl Brisbane
    Hello forumers...

Call the recruiter/HR personally and ask if the job is still available...

My first job was secured this way; the job has been posted for a while and I just tried calling the HR in charge of the post - so ayun, we ended up discussing about it and he told me to hand in my application.

A few days later, I got an invite to an interview and the rest is history...

It pays to call and ask. :)

Oh yeah, don't make your resume too "verbous"; 3 page max and make sure you format it correctly to make it very pleasing to the eyes.
    thanks for the tip @TasBurrfoot... dapat pala tawagan... in my case cguro, pagdating na... as of now.. nasa pinas pa rin kac ako... pero yan ang una ko gagawin pag dating ko sa OZ... also, the 3 page resume is a great tip... i even tried to make mine 2 pages... any tip with regards to the cover letter?

May 2, 2014 - Job offer

• HuskerHusker Sydney
    1. Unless specified, a cover letter should accompany your resume.
    2. If you can track down who your cover letter needs to be addressed to, do that. It gives the impression that you are doing your homework and researching about the company.
    3. Don't make your cover letter too wordy. Use simple, clear and concise words that are easy to understand and direct to the point.
    4. Don't make your cover letter a shorter version of your resume. It's job is to make the reader want to proceed to your resume, so point out at least 3 highlights from your resume that will make the reader want to read more.
    5. Resume should be generally 2-3 pages long. Use the same formatting for both the cover letter and resume. It looks more professional.
    6. Put less focus on your duties and responsibilities in your previous jobs and more focus on your achievements and results. As much as possible, quantify. Example: Instead of saying you possess great communication skills, you could say you were responsible for making 10 process documents that improved your team's response rate by 25%. You get the idea.
    7. Someone advised me before, don't elaborate on your daily tasks since that's what you were paid to do. Instead, mention what you were able to achieve for the company you worked for outside of your daily tasks and you will be seen as a potentially valuable asset.
  • cchamylcchamyl Brisbane
    @Husker thank you.. if i may ask... how long did it take you to get the job in the same field?

May 2, 2014 - Job offer