Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Adapt 101

crisreyescrisreyes BraddonPosts: 27De-activated
edited February 2014 in General
After few days of joining this forum and getting heaps of emails and enquiries there are few common things I would like to point out and hopefully our incoming kababayans won't get offended but instead be enlightened that they need to adapt on these.

When you see a product and it is not for sale or has no red tag "hindi ka pwedeng tumawad" unless you go to flea market such as Hay market or Flemmington etc.

When you ask for a service like tradees they will either bill you per hour or time and material package.

When you look for a place to rent either for vacation, short accommodation, holiday break or long term when they give you the price per day or per week avoid asking for a discount. That's a no no here. Either you take it or leave it.

When you are the consumer or the lodger/renter you need to provide acceptable Australian IDs and of course you guys will say wait we don't have any. What it means is you show your passport and visa. It is a turn off if you will ask the other way around because you are the ones who will come over either you trust the person you are speaking with or leave. Locals here don't mind if you walk away.

Call on time and if you will miss a minute or two send a message. This is true even elsewhere.

If you don't like to see the person or you don't like to transact with the person you may stop communicating that is understandable but letting the person know you are not interested even without telling any reason at all means you respect the person it is just you don't want to pursue the transaction.

Refrain from asking too much discount otherwise you will end up with nothing.

Don't be too cocky remember it is you who need to establish yourself and gain referees.

Saying a direct NO means NO... no dramas.

When someone tells you "no dramas" it means that is fine, don't be too emotional.

Acronyms that you might be using overseas may not mean anything here so please avoid saying any acronyms.

You won't be considered stupid if you ask for clarification.

More to come....

Comments

• rein_marcorein_marco Mandaluyong
    this is very true. i cringe hearing someone na tumatawad.
    When you are asked "How are you?" they only expect I'm good or I'm fine no need to say how you really are. And reciprocate the courtesy
  • JCsantosJCsantos Sydney
    edited February 2014
    I disagree with this ., you will end up broke if you dont hagle

i have seen a lot of people hagling ... 1 time one of my mate who is buying medicine told the pharmacy that he can buy the same product at this amount ( approximately 10 $ ) .. the Pharmacist gave my mate the same amount lower than the marked price ..

we always haggle even if its not on red tag

like for example last couple of week we bought a vacuum

staff said it like 260$ ...we ask if its the last price ... he said he can do 239 .... I told them if we can take it for 230$ guess what we made a deal

1 more sample ... we had a roller shutter installed ... around 2080 is the asking price with all the discounts ... my wife told to make it 2000 .. they agree

2nd most biggest purchase we got .. a brand new car ... they always have it sold for 22k ... my wife told the salesman that we want it for 21500 ... for 2 long hours of negotiation we got the car for that price

wag po nyong i assume na ang mga australiano e inde madaling kausap ... same din po sa atin yan kung marunong kayong dumiskarte

Google for Everything !!!

@JCsantos

i have seen a lot of people hagling ... 1 time one of my mate who is buying medicine told the pharmacy that he can buy the same product at this amount ( approximately 10 $ ) .. the Pharmacist gave my mate the same amount lower than the marked price ..

staff said it like 260$ ...we ask if its the last price ... he said he can do 239 .... I told them if we can take it for 230$ guess what we made a deal

1 more sample ... we had a roller shutter installed ... around 2080 is the asking price with all the discounts ... my wife told to make it 2000 .. they agree

2nd most biggest purchase we got .. a brand new car ... they always have it sold for 22k ... my wife told the salesman that we want it for 21500 ... for 2 long hours of negotiation we got the car for that price

wag po nyong i assume na ang mga australiano e inde madaling kausap ... same din po sa atin yan kung marunong kayong dumiskarte
    i respect you disagreeing but i never haggled and I didnt end up broke.
  • ShirlieShirlie Indianapolis
    Thanks for sharing... This is a good heads up for us :-)
  • crisreyescrisreyes Braddon
    Correction: Did you do that when you first met with your real estate agent to rent?
    I always haggle as well especially for electronics...

I don't see this in bad form!

2nd hand car ko; it was listed at $6K - I wanted to buy it at 5.5; in the end after discussing, I got it for $5.600...

No harm done there!! I saved $400; more than 2 months worth of petrol

MATE, the subject is ADAPT 101. Not sure if you guys are in the correct topic.

ADAPT 101 is more of us mga nakatira na siguro dekada na dito na tell them ano yung dapat matutunan nila na pwedeng off sa kanila pero wala tayong choice kasi ganun dito. I guess we all agree that doing transactions with Aussies are pretty straight forward but let us put a thin line between telling them what to expect on the first few weeks then we could just tell them sige pag nasa appliance store ka like Bing Lee or Harvey Norman and time to buy your stuffs na sige pwede utang dyan or tawaran but not to all kind of transactions.

Let us put it this way, to our dear beloved kababayans when you come over just be wary on the type of transactions that you will be dealing. Some of them specially big ticket item (not sure if you will buy them on your first week or month ng pagdating dito) e you could make tawad. Sa flea market pwede din. Sa mga uupahan nyo tataasan kayo ng kilay ng mga real estate agents kasi first and foremost pahirapan ang pagkuha ng first house to rent.

Better yung mga dating renters ituro nyo paano ba kayo nadalian o nahirapan at ano ba ang pwede nyong ibigay na tip para makarent ng maayos yung wala pang kahit anong id dito yung talagang kararating lang.

Cheers.
    Take into consideration din ano ba ang financial year dito sa Australia when ito comes to you guys coming in. Not all will tell you ano ba ito but this has a big impact in term of looking for work.

Financial year here is between July - June.

Why am saying this? For those who had worked or is working now we are all aware na lahat ng nagtatrabaho specially those who are in contracts e ninerbyos because budget deliberation ng company is either two months before or after ng pagtatapos ng financial year. Marami bang work? Maraming nawawalan between May to July.

Kailan influx ng work? November to January because locals here usually enjoy our long vacation kasi shutdown so maraming temp na kailangan. Do they screen ba sobra kung tempting? Not that hard kasi temp position nga. What will you gain? You will have a local experience and local referees which are two main factors and very important sa mga employers.

When you work don't act smart and cocky. Pwede kang maging smart but you have to blend with them. Either mabubully ka or ikaw ay kabwisitan kasi do whatever is your responsibilities lang. Wag sipsip kasi sa wala napupunta sipsip.

When you look for work magsimula na kayo kung saan pa lang kayo. If you see ano job openings gagawa kayo ng cover letter and you may divulge na PR kayo at may work rights kayo then tell them kalian kayo parating. Who knows baka nag hahanap o nag popool pa lang ng tao yan.

Pag nandito na kayo it is better to call the person na naglagay ng number dun sa job ads. Mas may dating sa kanila and para ka na ring nainterview nun. But wag kayo sobrang persistent na tipo bang tatawagan nyo ng tatawagan. Pag sinabi nila na babalikan ka nila majority of them babalikan ka.

Read the job ads and kung may kailangang mga certifications or trainings e kuhain mo na mga certifications as early as now kung saan ka man. Like sa IT most companies here gusto may ITILv2 certification ka na. The rest could follow.
    To those who will make their first rental like rental talaga with real estate agent na may inspection time pa. Be there on time. Speak with the real estate agent after the inspection time.

Sandali backgrounder muna. So syempre time to rent na kayo di ba some may be fortunate na kahit nasa ibang bansa pa e pagdating e ineentertain ng real estate agent kasi case to case basis yan. Kung sa malayo ba naman kayo mag rerent or yung rerentahan nyo e yun ang may need of course papayagan kayo magrent but they will ask you some personal info like are you working na ba? etc. Sa form mas maraming tanong like magkano ang pera nyo sa savings etc etc

Ang real estate agent usually maraming candidate na sila nagscreen. Paano ba nila niscreen yan of course yung may trabaho ang uunahin pero nasisilaw din sila sa kung magkano ang pera nyo na savings kasi kung kaya naman icover nun kahit isang taon na upa e basta for them e mababayaran sila.

Reason why I am telling na after inspection syempre marami yan e kausapin nyo dahil locals here e marunong umintindi ng situation but wag pang maala ala mo kaya ang drama. Pero wag din kayong magtataka o maooffend kung sasabihan kayo na iscreen pa nya ibang candidates. Hindi uso dito ang guarantor. Bawal yung iba ang magrerent para sa iyo.

Likewise, you have to know na marami kayong rights bilang renter. Covered kayo ng tenancy act ba yun.

Usually sublet yan yung madali o kaya lodger or boarders.

Pag sinabi sa ads kung magkano ang rentahan yun yun hindi nyo pwedeng sabihan ang real estate agent ng pwede tawad, not even sa mga fixed accommodations. Sublet pwede dahil syempre sila nagrerent lang but don't do that sa landlord na pwedeng kasama mo sa bahay kasi gusto mo bang sa una pa lang off na agad. Remember yung first few weeks or months nyo kayo ang makikisama at mag aadjust.

We are talking about first rental nyo dito.

To some usually nagbobook sila sa mga vacation home or holiday home kasi may weekly din yun plus mas malaki ang chance nyo dun. From there makakaestablish kayo ng records. If you have the monies, then book ka sa hotel.

Again, recommendation ko lang ha HOLIDAY HOME subukan nyo. It might be far but look for a holiday home na malapit sa train. Anyway, magaganda mga holiday home bakasyunista. Para pag nagrent ka na masasabi mo sa real estate agent na may record ka na nagbook ka nga ng # of weeks sa wherever man yan. Napakita mo na may capability to pay ka pala talaga.

To those na daratin na may work once napagsabak nyo sa office kausapin nyo agad boss nyo na naghahanap kayo ng rental kaya on and off kayo. Maiintindihan kayo baka nga kung kalian ng referee ibigay pa nya name nya.

Again sa walang work para makarent agad SAVINGS yung nakadeposit sa Australian Bank ang panglaban nyo

Sa may work, ang kalaban nyo lang talaga is mga inpection times na off sa oras so makiusap.

• JCsantosJCsantos Sydney
    @JCsantos

i respect you disagreeing but i never haggled and I didnt end up broke.
    think of the people who would read your post, ok so inde pala pwedeng tumAwad kawawa naman yung mga kababayan natin baka bili lang sila ng bili never knowing na pwede pala tumawad they will miss a lot, kung inde po kami marunong tumawad we will end up 20k more on our property, imagine 20k$ of saving kung ano ang mabibili

Google for Everything !!!