Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

1.5 Years of School Duration

thatbadguythatbadguy SydneyPosts: 147Member
Hi guys.

I just want to ask for some guidance and opinion. I'm a licensed Electrical Engineer here in the Philippines, been working for 3 years and I want to take a diploma course at TAFE Queensland. When I looked at the school duration, it states that it will take 1.5 years only. My problem is, I need to take a two-year course in order for me to gain points when I apply for a permanent resident visa. May two-year course naman sa TAFE pero I really want this course because it will be helpful in my career in the future. Gusto ko din sa TAFE kasi hands on (which is important in my field) compared to taking masters in a uni which is mostly teaching theory. Anong gagawin ko guys? Any opinion?

Anyways, early 2017 pa naman yung plano kong intake.

Thanks!

Comments

• Xiaomau82Xiaomau82 Singapore
    Hi guys.

I just want to ask for some guidance and opinion. I'm a licensed Electrical Engineer here in the Philippines, been working for 3 years and I want to take a diploma course at TAFE Queensland. When I looked at the school duration, it states that it will take 1.5 years only. My problem is, I need to take a two-year course in order for me to gain points when I apply for a permanent resident visa. May two-year course naman sa TAFE pero I really want this course because it will be helpful in my career in the future. Gusto ko din sa TAFE kasi hands on (which is important in my field) compared to taking masters in a uni which is mostly teaching theory. Anong gagawin ko guys? Any opinion?

Anyways, early 2017 pa naman yung plano kong intake.

Thanks!

wont u qualify without claiming points for the Australian study since electrical engr ka namn.
  • thatbadguythatbadguy Sydney
    @Xiaomau82 Hi. Can you please explain. Hindi ko po maintindihan. Thank you.
  • Xiaomau82Xiaomau82 Singapore
    @Xiaomau82 Hi. Can you please explain. Hindi ko po maintindihan. Thank you.
    d ka ba magqualify for skilled migration, kahit di ka mag aral sa au? then later on, pag pr ka na saka ka na mag aral, anyway, your target intake is in 2017 pa namn. y not apply for PR muna. Assuming u r between 25-32 yrs old, with 10 points for English, u should have a total of 60 points. Kung 33-39 years old ka nmn, consider applying for state nomination to cover ung 5 points. u can check the criteria http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-
  • eunofficialeunofficial Cebu
    Wow! Perfect question po kasi ito din ang hanap ko na tanong. I have a plan din kasi to take up Advanced Diploma. Yun nga lang 52 weeks lang which is 92weeks ang required for PR.

1. Is there a program ra after matapos ang Advanced Diploma study i can stay in AU para full time work?

2. Say, after 5years gusto ko mag aral for the sake of completing the 92 weeks. Parang mag iipon lang ako. Work muna. Is it possible po ba?
  • danyan2001usdanyan2001us Melbourne, Australia
    Wow! Perfect question po kasi ito din ang hanap ko na tanong. I have a plan din kasi to take up Advanced Diploma. Yun nga lang 52 weeks lang which is 92weeks ang required for PR.

1. Is there a program ra after matapos ang Advanced Diploma study i can stay in AU para full time work?

2. Say, after 5years gusto ko mag aral for the sake of completing the 92 weeks. Parang mag iipon lang ako. Work muna. Is it possible po ba?
    Hello bro, sharing with you here the explanation of this required 92 weeks:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Study Requirement Part. 3

2 Academic Years of Study

Yesterday we covered by what is meant by 16 calendar months when it comes to meeting the Australian Study Requirement (ASR).

Today we look at one other important component, what is meant by 2 Academic years of study.

The law stipulates that the Australian qualification being put forward as evidence to meet the ASR must be "completed as a result of a total of at least 2 academic years study".

What then is an "academic year"?

Back in May of 2009, the then Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, published a document that defined an academic year as "is at least a total of 46 weeks, being the duration of a course or courses registered under s 9 of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000."

In that same document he went of to write that two academic years was 92 weeks and three academic years was 138 weeks. Not that this was really neccessarry for we can add 1+1+1 =3.

Registered course?

Firstly, it is a fundamental requirement of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 that only registered providers can offer education services to persons in Australia on a Student visa. Such a course would meet the requirements of the ASR. There may be circumstances for where someone is trying to meet the ASR to claim points on the GSM system but they have studied a non CRICOS registered course whilst on a visa other than a student visa, but this would be very rare. Most of you would have studied in Australia on student visas so you have nothing to be concerned about.

On the off chance that perhaps you completed your Bachelor Degree whilst as a dependent on your family's 457 visa (example), then you would nee to check that the course is registered under CRICOS. You can do this by checking on the CRICOS web site.

What also is important to note is that whatever visa you have completed the course on, it must be on a visa that had permission to study.

92 weeks

There have been some significant changes to the issue of how the 92 weeks are calculated.
    An applicant can meet the 2 academic years requirement on the basis of as much RPL as the educational institution conducting the course allows. This could include study done previously overseas and/or in Australia.

The law only requires a person to show that they have completed a course or courses that are CRICOS registered, it does not require the person to show that they have completed the usual or normal or approved full time workload of that course.

Two Examples

Jim completes a one year Masters degree in UNSW. It was a course registered for 52 weeks. Jim is about to begin his next one year Masters degree at UTS. Jim applies for RPL based upon his Masters at UNSW. UTS gives Jim 2 subjects credits from his UNSW course. Jim then completes this one year Masters 52 week CRICOS registered course.
    Jim has completed two CRICOS registered courses which cover the minimum 92 weeks necessary for the ASR.

Jane enrolled into a 2 year Masters program at RMIT. Previously overseas she has completed a Masters degree of similar subject matter. On the basis of her overseas qualifications Jane is given 4 units exemptions. This means Jane can finish just 12 units of study to qualify for the award of her 16 unit Masters.
    Since Jane has completed a 2 year CRICOS registered program in Australia she can meet the ASR requirement regarding 2 academic years of study.

In Jane's case she began her course on the 1st July 2014 and recently completed on the 1st December 2015. This means she will also meet the 16 calendar month requirement of the ASR since her it has taken her 17 months of study.

Multiple Courses?

It does not matter how long the time gap is between courses studied in Australia. For example there may be a 15 year gap between completing the courses to be acceptable for the ASR. There is no requirement for the courses to be consecutive. However the 16 calendar month requirement must be met and this means looking at two different completion letters (or more), one for each course, and determining if the time period studied is sufficient.

Source: Australia Immigration News
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

primary applicant- wife
    arrived melbourne- July 28, 2010

• eunofficialeunofficial Cebu
    @danyan2001us Hi, na sagot mo na pala po Kuya. I get it now. So regardless ilang years mo tapusin ang 92weeks na Academic Year, importante matapos mo siya. Right? Heheeh
  • nyhnnyhn Philippines
    Hi. Im a newbie and i would like to clarify that if i take 1.5 yrs from TAFE and get another course that would take probably 6 months so thats 2 years+ does that mean i can get a PR? Considering that i just graduated both course.

By the way i only had 2 yrs business course here in the phil and no work experience since we have our own business and im the one managing it. I have my mother and sister living in Brisbane but my mom is only relying on her carer pension and my sister is still on 10th grade. I would want to support myself.

I tried to go to IDP CEBU but they cant even answer these questions. Can anyone with same experience help me? Thank u