Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

House Rental Scamming

sofabedsofabed SydneyPosts: 87Member
edited January 2013 in Housing & Rentals
Hello po, magpapatulong po sana kung paano macheck kung nag eexist nga talaga itong taong ito: Carson Ludwig. Possible po na na-scam kami ng taong ito by paying him $600 (via Western Union) for rent on his apartment: http://flatmates.com.au/property.html?id=134124. Though he provided us with Australian passport and land title, skeptical ako sa kanya kasi ngayon nanghihingi na naman siya ng deposit. Btw, my sister and I will be moving to Sydney by Jan. 24.

Thank you po!

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER (263311)

03.10.2012 - IELTS exam (IDP)
03.23.2012 - IELTS Results (L:7.5 R:7.5 W: 7.5 S: 7.5)
04.17.2012 - Lodged CDR
09.07.2012 - Received successful assessment EA
09.09.2012 - Submitted EOI - 190
09.13.2012 - Submitted SS (SA)
10.08.2012 - Submitted EOI - 189
10.14.2012 - Received invite (189)
10.15.2012 - Lodged 189 Visa
10.16.2012 - DIAC Acknowledgment
10.22.2012 - PCC
10.24.2012 - Medical
11.03.2012 - CO Allocation; Adelaide Team 6 CC
11.13.2012 - Visa Granted! (God is good all the time!)

Comments

• kenkoykenkoy Sydney
    how about trying to make another inquiry? pretend u are another person or maybe ask a friend to do it for u para iba ang IP address at ang style of writing. from his response to another inquiry pwede mo malaman na scam nga sya.

... is on dependent visa. main applicant code 261313; 175 e-lodged june 6, 2011; visa grant mar 13, 2012; NSW-based.

• LakiMaselLakiMasel Perth
    edited January 2013
    Maki-singit lang po. May deposit po ba palagi pag mag rent sa Oz?

• spykes78spykes78 North Ryde
    @sofabed - unfortunately looks like you have been scammed as the apartment is the same as the one listed here and is for lease for $650 http://www.rwunlimited.com.au/pol/property/search.asp?f_propertyID=1872724&xsl=4943

There is no way rent is $150/week for a fully furnished 1-bedroom apartment in Surry Hills.

• NadineNadine Brisbane
    edited January 2013
    Hello @sofabed: makikisali na rin po ako ha.... Sa pagkakaalam ko, in renting a place, you will have to apply to rent before you are allowed to do so. Before you can even apply, you have to inspect the apartment itself. Hindi yata pumapayag ang mga legitimate real estate agents that you will apply to rent without looking at the place first. Most agents do not conduct transactions online or via phone. I've tried applying na din po eh. Gusto ko rin sana may place na pag dating ko. Pero they always tell me to view the place muna. Ibig sabihin they don't entertain offshore applications. I would also be wary of those using personal email for business transactions (like what this guy did).

If your application to rent is approved, then contract signing na. Alam ko may Complex by law, application for residential tenacy, and Lease agreement na pinipirmahan. Generally, you are required to pay bond rental (equivalent to one month rent) + 2 weeks' advance rent. You should have receipts for all these. Also, yung bond rental has to be submitted by the agent/owner to the bond authority in the state. In fact, it's the tenant's responsibility to check po if the agent/owner has done this. Yung bond money will not be kept by the owner but by the state po. For mutual protection po yan in case of disputes.

So, if you didn't go through any of these, I doubt it's legitimate po eh. :(

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Moving-in/Rental-bond-deposits-and-utilities/What-is-a-rental-bond

21 Dec 2012 - 457 lodged
    7 Jan 2013 - medical finalised
    8 Jan 2013 - visa approved

• LokiJrLokiJr Quezon City
    Sana po nagpersonal visit kayo. Di naman kamahalan yung hostel while looking for a place to live in dun
  • aoleeaolee Singapore
    edited January 2013
    Hi po if I may ask sofabed... nag post rin po ba dito sa site natin yang scammer na yan? Let me know po if there is para madelete at wala ng mabitkima.

Please contact admin if you need anything from me, I dont often login to this account.

Please spare some time to read our "Rules" located at the bottom of the page.

• stolich18stolich18 Sydney
    yikes scary naman to. Meron din pala tlgang scammers sa AU! :S

261313 (Software Engineer)

Feb.15.2012 - started working on ACS requirements
    Mar.02.2012 - submitted online ACS application and sent documents to ACS via Fedex
    Mar.05.2012 - ACS acknowledged actual documents
    Mar.21.2012 - ACS finalised assessment: Suitable
    Mar.31.2012 - IELTS exam with BC
    Apr.13.2012 - IELTS Results (L:8.5 R:7 W: 7 S: 8 OB: 7.5) Thank you LORD!
    Apr.14.2012 - Lodged 175 Online Application
    Apr.20.2012 - Completed Online Attachments
    May.24.2012 - "Application being processed further"
    May.29.2012 - CO Assigned :-)
    Jun.07.2012 - Uploaded NBI Clearance
    Jun.13.2012 - Medical/Health Requirements Finalised
    Jun.14.2012 - VISA GRANT! Thank you, LORD! :-)
    Jun.07.2013 - Initial Entry Date Deadline
    Apr.28.2013 - Initial Entry (Sydney)
    Jun.28.2013 - Verbal Job Offer (Melbourne)
    Jul.08.2013 - First day of Work and first day of child care for my son (Melbourne)
    Aug.21.2013 - First day of Work in Sydney

"Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom." Psalm 145:3

• shishishishi Sydney
    hello, sofabed. naku sana hindi naman kayo nascam. just in case hindi kayo matuloy jan, naghahanap pa kame ni @zigfrid ng makakasama sa bahay pero sa burwood area. let me know if you're interested.
  • BryannBryann Sydney
    edited January 2013
    It must be this guy.

https://twitter.com/CLudwig20
    http://pinterest.com/cludwig20/

I'm also thinking, maybe it was him who leased the house.. for $650/week, then is just looking for a flatmate to share the burden of rent with. Could be entirely possible. As for land title, is he saying he owns the place? Coz the link at RayWhite real estate clearly states it is for lease. For the passport, I might be wrong but it is not as easy as in Phils to get a fake passport or any documents.

You can also keep copies of your communication and receipts of deposit. That way when you get here in Australia, if ever he is indeed a scammer, you can communicate with NSW Police.

Looks like he had the same posting before, but later removed it. Availability was December. The one you mentioned is for November.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bGIOfBkZHg8J:flatmates.com.au/property.html?id=133490+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

HTH

Dec 13 2011 - ACS: Suitable (AQF Diploma)
    Feb 03 2012 - IELTS #1 Failed (W-6.5)
    Mar 02 2012 - IELTS #2 Passed
    Apr 21 2012 - 175 Visa Lodged Online
    May 29 2012 - CO Assigned
    Jun 25 2012 - Visa Grant (IED: Dec 14 2012)
    Aug 19 2012 - Arrived in Sydney
    Sept 10 2012 - Start @ 1st Job (Web Developer)

If he's posting online in places like gumtree you can also report him there, at least people will be wary to deal with him hehe
  • SushigurlSushigurl Melbourne
    edited January 2013
    Can you kindly post the exact ads you've seen?
    kasi yung ni post ni spykes78 is from Ray White, legal yung Ray White rto... at yung ofc address is tama naman if you check google maps...
    possibleng tunay at possibleng peke... tulad ng sabi nila... ask for the contract....
    did you signed anything? the best way to ascertain if legal ba yung transaction nyo is to call their office below. from the link provided by Spykes 78.

Ray White Unlimited
    52 Blair Street
    North Bondi, NSW 2026
    ph: 02 9365 5888
    fax: 02 9365 5822
    Email our office
    [ View on Map ]

Ganito "generally" ang rental s.o.p rto..
    Initially, they will ask you to pay a week deposit, that is usually a non refundable deposit.
    Once you do, they will pull the ads from the website.
    Step 2. pay the balance of the bonds and rental advance, signing of contract could be the last stage together with the turn over of the keys. real estate agent ko kasi Ray White rin, but in a different location.

• SushigurlSushigurl Melbourne
    edited January 2013
    Sofabed, assumed ko girlalu ka rin... Im also female and mag isa lang ako nag migrate rto...
    I understand the difficulty of starting in a new country, and dami kong hirap na pinagdaanan. Awa ng Dyos, e may pailan ilan good samaritan na pinoy at Aussies who gave me advice..Now, im paying it forward... I can assist you to call up Ray White Realty but if peke is CArson i cant chase him for you ha, hindi ako pulis. I'll pm you my email addy. we can chat and you can tell me the whole story and il liaise with them.
  • zigfridzigfrid Sydney
    edited January 2013
    Muntik na din ako mabiktima sa gumtree din.

Scammer's name: Joan
    E-mail address used: [email protected]

***********************************************************************************

Joan
    Jan 5 (5 days ago)

to me

--
    I will like to rent your room kindly send me the details of the room
    cos am ready to pay and moving in asap kindly send me email and pics
    asap.

Regard
    Joan

************************************************************************************

So nag reply ako sabi ko:

Hi Joan, which property are you looking at renting. Can you please cut and paste the ad so I can tell you the relevant information. Thanks.

************************************************************************************

Pero ewan ko ba bakit ako kinutuban. Di ko naman ugaling mag check ng google kung sino yun may ari ng email pero this time nga kinutuban ako ng parang curious lang ako so, ginoogle ko, kinat and paste ko email address niya eto nakita ko:

Scammer pretends to rent your house - [email protected] ...
    www.gumtree.com.au/s...hux619-gmail.../1011986959Scammers like this will typically sms you with a message I will like to rent your room kindly send me the details of the room cos am ready to pay asap send ...

gmail.com | Free Local Classifieds Gumtree Australia
    www.gumtree.com.au/s-property-for-rent/gmail.../k0c18364Scammer pretends to rent your house - [email protected]. Scammers like this will typically sms you with a message: "I will like to rent your room kindly send ...

Large ROOM FOR RENT IN NEWTOWN | Flatshare & Houseshare ...
    www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newtown/...for.../1011554857ShareScammer pretends to rent your house - [email protected]. Scammers like this will typically sms you with a message: "I will like to rent your room kindly send ...

**************************************************************************************

Parang puros gumtree ang tinatarget. Tapos so na try ko siya i-block sa gmail pero eto sumagot siya following day:

[email protected]
    Jan 6 (4 days ago)

to me
    Hello,
    Thanks for getting back to me,am a lady willing to rent/share the room
    and i am at sea at the moment as i am a Maritime and Coastguard Agency
    (MCA) employee in Canada but i got transfer to work and study part
    time down there but due to the nature of my work, phone calls making
    and visiting of website are restricted. I only squeezed out time to
    check this advert and send you an email regarding this. i am ready to
    rent it asap so tell me how much is the rent/share per month and how
    much deposit do i have to pay. Please send me more period you wish to
    rent this out.

Looking forward to read back from you soon
    Regards

*******************************************************************************************

So fellow Pinoys, beware of emails from [email protected]
  • rolf021rolf021 Sydney
    Hello po..buti pinansin ko itong post. Papunta po kami sydney and wala kakilala so I am looking at gumtree kasi iyun ang halos nirerecommend na site. Kaso, with this scam..paano po safe and cheap way para makahanap kami ng place to stay in sydney?
    I guess it pays to visit the place first or ask a friend to refer you to a credible renter
  • Davidx23Davidx23 Brisbane
    Hmm. Dito sa Brisbane, you need to schedule a visit then fill-out the rent application form na binibigay sau ng property manager pagkatapos ng viewing. Requirement yun na makita mu muna ang property bago ka mag-apply for rent.

Sa mga nagpaparent naman ng propery, it pays na meron kang property manager kasi they have access to a database ng mga renters na hindi nagbabayad or mga black-listed (siguro dahil sa property damages).
    If you own a property I think enlisting it to sites such as RP Data would also make the ad more credible hehe
  • NadineNadine Brisbane
    edited January 2013
    @Davidx23: sir, hello po. Magtatanong po sana. Kumusta po sa Brisbane? I'll be flying in 2 week's time, kasi will start work na. Ask ko lang kung hindi ba mahirap mag rent ng place para sa tulad ko na wala namang rental history pa? I've heard and read namimili din mga agents kung sino patitirahin nila.

Tsaka isa pang question, is it possible to buy car na 2k lang dyan? :D (sorry medyo OT to).

Thanks!

21 Dec 2012 - 457 lodged
    7 Jan 2013 - medical finalised
    8 Jan 2013 - visa approved

• LakiMaselLakiMasel Perth
    Sa mga nakatira or naghahanap po ng rentals, ano po ba yung mga websites na pinupuntahan nyo?

Actually, ang plan ko ay mag hotel (cheap hotels) na lang muna bago maghanap ng rentals.
  • icebreaker1928icebreaker1928 Sydney
    Hello po, magpapatulong po sana kung paano macheck kung nag eexist nga talaga itong taong ito: Carson Ludwig. Possible po na na-scam kami ng taong ito by paying him $600 (via Western Union) for rent on his apartment: http://flatmates.com.au/property.html?id=134124. Though he provided us with Australian passport and land title, skeptical ako sa kanya kasi ngayon nanghihingi na naman siya ng deposit. Btw, my sister and I will be moving to Sydney by Jan. 24.

Thank you po!
    kamusta na po kayo mam sofabed?

As far as I know... 99% ng ads dyan sa flatmates.com.au scam...
    nagtry din ako dyan dati...
    almost 10 ang inemail ko, lahat nanghihingi ng deposit.
    red flag agad... tapos nagcheck ako sa site nila..
    may mga format ng scam na nakapost.. ayun, ganon na ganon nga.

boss aolee... sana magkaroon tayo ng sticky sa forum gaya nito para mawarn yung iba about this kind of scam.
  • xtine99xtine99 Sydney
    i suggest sa mga newbie who will arrive in sydney, to book an accomodation first via hotels, motels, hostels, b&b, backpackers for 1-3 nights. Then, during that time, arranged viewing first for prospective private accomodations. Make sure you have contacted them before you arrive australia and arranged for a time to view their place. In that case, you will avoid being scam and you will meet the landlady and arranged for a rental lease agreement. ;)
  • xtine99xtine99 Sydney
    Sa mga nakatira or naghahanap po ng rentals, ano po ba yung mga websites na pinupuntahan nyo?

Actually, ang plan ko ay mag hotel (cheap hotels) na lang muna bago maghanap ng rentals.
    If you are coming alone in australia, and is tight on budget, you can try backpackers (bed only) or hostels or bed and breakfast with room share. Backpackers can be $25-$50 per bed, hostels can be $30-$50 per night, bed and breakfast ( own room) $30-$50 per night.

:\">
  • aoleeaolee Singapore
    @iceBreaker, no wonder nung may nag post ng FOR RENT na humihingi ng resertvation dati naalala ko tinantong mo kung marunong magtagalog. maiinam pala talga na wag agad agad nagtitiwala sa mga humihingi ng reservation. ingat po tayo.

Please contact admin if you need anything from me, I dont often login to this account.

Please spare some time to read our "Rules" located at the bottom of the page.

@iceBreaker, no wonder nung may nag post ng FOR RENT na humihingi ng resertvation dati naalala ko tinantong mo kung marunong magtagalog. maiinam pala talga na wag agad agad nagtitiwala sa mga humihingi ng reservation. ingat po tayo.
    yes boss... kaya naka red flag agad saken yung nag ads na yun dati.. tapos inaway pako hehe..
    nde kasi ganon ang sistema dito... dapat makita mo muna ang unit...
    pag nanghingi ng pera agad agad... scam yun 99.9%
  • rolf021rolf021 Sydney
    I see..ganun rin po ba na kailangan mo muna makita kahit iyung room lang ang pinaparent? Like..iyung flatnirerent miya tapos naghahanap siya ng flatmate
    @rolf021 most probably sir, ganon din dapat ang kalakaran nun...
    dapat talaga makita mo muna yung lugar...
    what if nung makita mo yung place e 4 pala kayo sa room..
    or yung lugar e hindi maganda para sayo...

you can still backout... basta rule of thumb... see the unit first before paying anything.
  • rolf021rolf021 Sydney
    @icebreaker1928 - kaya parang first week sa backpacker lodge para mura and ang gagawin is hanap kaagad ng place to stay.
  • AiwinkAiwink Melbourne
    edited January 2013
    It must be this guy.

https://twitter.com/CLudwig20
    http://pinterest.com/cludwig20/

I'm also thinking, maybe it was him who leased the house.. for $650/week, then is just looking for a flatmate to share the burden of rent with. Could be entirely possible. As for land title, is he saying he owns the place? Coz the link at RayWhite real estate clearly states it is for lease. For the passport, I might be wrong but it is not as easy as in Phils to get a fake passport or any documents.

You can also keep copies of your communication and receipts of deposit. That way when you get here in Australia, if ever he is indeed a scammer, you can communicate with NSW Police.

Looks like he had the same posting before, but later removed it. Availability was December. The one you mentioned is for November.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bGIOfBkZHg8J:flatmates.com.au/property.html?id=133490+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

HTH
    Woooow!
    Parang may sariling logarithm na ikaw sa pag background check ah... Galing!

Here is my timeline with fees incurred :) 2012
    April 21- IELTS Passed (British Council Sg S$310)/ April-March -requirements for VETASSES, CTC 4 copies,DHL etc. (S$600)/March 19- Apply VETASSES online ($1150 aud)/June 06, 2012 - VETASSES (Architectural Draftsman) feedback positive /August 08- Apply EOI visa 190 at 70 points/September 11- Resubmit EOI (Was asked to change EOI form)/November 22- Apply for SS in WA (arch draftsman still available)/November 22- Resubmit EOI (changed the State from Victoria to WA)/December 05- Initial Contact by DIAC saying WA is interested./December 07- WA SS approved December 10- DIAC Invitation received (1 week down ecomm) December 14- Lodged Visa $3050aud (plus technical issues of ecom visa was "lodged" December 21 daw)/ Dec 28 - Medicals (frontload)/January 8 -CO Assigned/January 23-PCC/ JANUARY 23---VISA GRANT!!!!!!!!!!

• SakenSaken North Ryde
    edited January 2013
    Nabasa ko ito sa Sydney Morning Herald. Although matagal na yung article, itong-ito yung scam na nidescribe ni @sofabed

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/exposed-sydneys-great-rental-ripoff-20100410-rzsf.html

Tungkol sa rental bonds or deposits, usually sa Department of Fair Trading nakapangalan yun. So magpapagawa ng bank cheque tapos nakaaddress sa DFT. Sa end ng contract na lang ito ibabalik sa iyo pero depende sa assessment ng nagpaparenta kung kelangan bawasan yung amount para sa repairs or damages kung meron man.

Saka alam ko illegal ang magparent by yourself. Dapat dumadaan sa licensed agents.

Mas maganda tumingin sa realstate.com.au or domain.com.au para sa apartments for rent kasi mga agents ang nagaadvertise. Examples ng property agencies dito sa NSW are Ray White, LJ Hooker, Jackson and Rowe, ...

Lastly, try downloading the "Scam Buster" iOS or Android App ng Department of Fair Trading. Malaking tulong din para mainform sa scams dito sa AU. Kung di naman, pwede rin bisitahin website ng DFT.
  • sofabedsofabed Sydney
    @Bryann it is confirmed a scam, di na nag reply sa amin. na report ko na rin sa flatmates. also saw the pictures in twitter but the passport he provided has different pic..

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER (263311)

03.10.2012 - IELTS exam (IDP)
    03.23.2012 - IELTS Results (L:7.5 R:7.5 W: 7.5 S: 7.5)
    04.17.2012 - Lodged CDR
    09.07.2012 - Received successful assessment EA
    09.09.2012 - Submitted EOI - 190
    09.13.2012 - Submitted SS (SA)
    10.08.2012 - Submitted EOI - 189
    10.14.2012 - Received invite (189)
    10.15.2012 - Lodged 189 Visa
    10.16.2012 - DIAC Acknowledgment
    10.22.2012 - PCC
    10.24.2012 - Medical
    11.03.2012 - CO Allocation; Adelaide Team 6 CC
    11.13.2012 - Visa Granted! (God is good all the time!)