Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

SKILLS ASSESSMENT DILEMMA

Hi guys really need your help. Im an architect, and my previous employment was all around, from supervision, to designing and planning, construction estimates, preparations of docs for building permit. And now im a freelancer, doing both design and construction (small scale, mostly renovation works). My dilemma now is i dont know as to what occupation under vetassess should i want to get assessed to a sure positive assessment. Architectural draftsperson, Architectural technician, or construction project manager?
Im now 28, with around 5 years of experience, 7 if we count my apprenticeship. I tried the calculator, and i really have low points around 65 (just assumption considering that vetassess provides the points for employment years and academic)

Im really lost and dont know how to proceed. Should i do student visa nalang? Hope someone can really enlighten me. Thank you guys

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited October 2022

@Jaypitz08 said:
    Hi guys really need your help. Im an architect, and my previous employment was all around, from supervision, to designing and planning, construction estimates, preparations of docs for building permit. And now im a freelancer, doing both design and construction (small scale, mostly renovation works). My dilemma now is i dont know as to what occupation under vetassess should i want to get assessed to a sure positive assessment. Architectural draftsperson, Architectural technician, or construction project manager?
    Im now 28, with around 5 years of experience, 7 if we count my apprenticeship. I tried the calculator, and i really have low points around 65 (just assumption considering that vetassess provides the points for employment years and academic)

Im really lost and dont know how to proceed. Should i do student visa nalang? Hope someone can really enlighten me. Thank you guys

When you say design and construction, are you heavily involved with the contracting/building process? As a registered architect in pinas, alam ko design parin ang limitation ng role natin. You'll really have to assess your work experience based on how much of your time you spend doing design work vs. site work. Kasi kung mostly site work/project management ang ginagawa mo, you can potentially look into getting assessed as construction project manager. Look into the job description of the different roles; ideally for the occupation you would nominate, you are doing about 75% of the things listed in the job description.

Being all-around is like venturing out of the range of the draftsperson role na and more into the architect role because of the contract administration/executive tasks. Unfortunately with only a bachelor degree from the Philippines it'll be hard to get a positive skills assessment as an architect from AACA. If you are looking to study in Australia and want to pursue migration under "architect," you'll need to do an accredited 2-year Master of Architecture program para verification nalang ng Australian qualification ang gagawin (and not OQA). Pero siyempre mahal mag-aral kasi AUD 30-40k per year ang tuition sa university, tapos may AUD 20k/year living expenses ka pa.

I would have assumed that with your age, you'd have much higher points due to age. I say try to max out the points for English proficiency to get higher points.

MACINOZ2023

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• jordanyu14jordanyu14 Posts: 57Member

@athelene hi, got a visa 189 invite last oct 6, but the validity of my skills assessment is until sept 11 2022. Should i proceed with my visa application?