Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Pre-Processing Questions

cgmcgm MelbournePosts: 212Member
Hi Po,

Mabuhay po ang site na ito! I have been reading through this forum for the past few days and it gets kinda addictive with the kind of first-hand experience ng kapwa Pilipino diyan sa Oz.

Sana po meron mga kababayan natin na makapagshare ng inputs sa mga tanong ko -

1. I have been working since I was in first year college for clients in the US and Australia on more than 20 hours a week. If I have employment certifications from these clients, is this a valid document to support (objective is for longer work experience) the ACS Skills Assessment? I have a degree in Comp Engineering on a Section 1 school dito sa Pinas. So, I was working already professionally even before I earned my degree. Sa tinging niyo, pwede ko ba ma-include sa ACS assessment?

2. Does certifications from my Aussie clients that I have worked with them remotely and supporting their businesses can be treated as a local experience? What if a few AU companies can vouch that I did work for them kaya lang remote setup, do you think this can be an advantage when applying for a job there? Nabasa ko kasi sa ibang threads na pahirapan talaga maghanap ng work especially for Skilled Independent.

Salamat po.

Resources

Visa Status Trackers
+ PinoyAU.info - http://bit.ly/1lhRiWc
+ Expat-Forum.com - http://bit.ly/1n9qkjt
ACS ANZSCO Guide - http://bit.ly/1uNl3Yx
ANZSCO Search - http://www.anzscosearch.com/261111.php
- check your occupation code details and state eligibility

Timeline

Family of 3 (me, wife and daughter)
ANZSCO 261111 (ICT Business Analyst) - Visa 190 VIC

17 Dec 2013 - Gathered School Docs (TOR, Diploma, Certifications, etc)
17 Dec 2013 - NBI Clearance (Same Day Release)
18 Jan 2014 - IELTS Exam #1
31 Jan 2014 - Submitted ACS Assessment (261111)
01 Feb 2014 - IELTS Results #1 - (L8, R7.5, W6, S7 = OBS:7)
06 Feb 2014 - Submitted IELTS Results #1 for Remarking
15 Mar 2014 - IELTS Exam #2
23 Mar 2014 - IELTS Results #2 - (L,R 8.5, W7.0, S7.5 = OBS:8) God is good! :)
02 Apr 2014 - IELTS Exam #1 Remarking Positive, W6.0 -> W6.5
04 Apr 2014 - ACS Result, suitable (AQF Bachelor Degree, 4+ yrs exp)
04 Apr 2014 - EOI Submitted (Plan A: 189 60pts, Plan B: 190 VIC 65pts)
08 Apr 2014 - VIC SS - first contact, provided written statement
15 May 2014 - Plan C: Submitted New ACS Assessment (135112)
02 Jul 2014 - Plan C: Received ACS Assessment (135112 ICT Project Manager)
07 Jul 2014 - VIC SS Invite Received (261111)
08 Jul 2014 - NBI Renewal (same day release)
09 Jul 2014 - Medicals
21 Jul 2014 - Visa lodged (VIC SS)
21-29 Jul 2014 - Frontload documents
30 Sep 2014 - Direct Grant! Thank you Lord! :)
07 Nov 2014 - Touchdown Melbourne! Temporarily staying at a friend
07 Nov 2014 - Setup Centrelink, Bank Account, & TFN
10 Nov 2014 - Setup Medicare
07-25 Nov 2014 - Turista mode
15 Nov 2014 - Apartment viewing on 4 locations
16 Nov 2014 - Apartment application submitted
17 Nov 2014 - Apartment application approved
17-21 Nov 2014 - 3 TAFE Certifications ni misis sa hospitality
22 Nov 2014 - Moved to our own apartment
26 Nov 2014 - Job hunt started (me and wife)
06 Dec 2014 - I started doing casual work
12 Dec 2014 - Wife started casual work
05 Jan 2014 - I started doing IT contract work
18 Jan 2014 - Wife started working full-time

Comments

• mazzamazza Singapore
    edited December 2013
    1. As per ACS:
    3. SKILL LEVEL REQUIREMENT MET DATE
    The “Skill Level Requirement Met Date” will be noted on your ACS result letter and will be determined by the outcome of the suitability criteria.

All relevant work experience completed after the “Skill Level Requirement Met Date” will be
    considered “Skilled Employment” and eligible for points under the skilled migration points test.

The work experience required to meet the suitability criteria is NOT included as “Skilled Employment” and is NOT eligible for points under the skilled migration points test.

The ACS assessment process will seek to find the earliest “Skill Level Requirement Met Date” possible for each application.
    Example:
     You complete a relevant Bachelor in Jan 2008 and you have 4 years of relevant work experience from Jan 2008 until Jan 2012.
     2 years of work experience will be used to satisfy the suitability criteria and your Skill Level Requirement Met Date will be Jan 2010.
     All suitable work experience completed after Jan 2010 will be considered “Skilled Employment” and eligible for the skilled migration points test.
     The 2 years of work experience used to satisfy the suitability criteria is NOT eligible for the skilled migration points test but is assessed to meet the suitability criteria.

Please Note: While the ACS is authorised to assess ICT skills assessments, the final decision in awarding points remains with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

In the case where the Skill Level Requirement Met Date depends upon both a qualification and the completion of a period of relevant work experience, the skill level requirement met date will be the later date of the qualification and
    experience.
    Check out the rest of the ACS guidelines if you haven't already done so.

Most assessing authorities don't start counting years of experience until after the date you obtained a relevant qualification. As you can see above, ACS has taken it one step further. I read in the non-Pinoy forums that ACS automatically deducts 2 years from your experience if you have a highly relevant qualification. If your qualification is not highly relevant, ACS deducts 4 years. This is only secondhand information, though.

2. One would think that, logically, tech experience is the same regardless of geographic location. But in the end, it's all up to the employer.

Anecdotally: in some non-tech jobs, experience from outside the state (e.g. working in Tassie then moving to WA) is not always considered as local experience.

HTH! It looks daunting but please don't be discouraged. If you have more questions, do post in the ACS thread or contact ACS directly.

VETASSESS Advisory Service
    Fee: AUD 130
    Waiting time: 9 working days after lodging

VETASSESS Skills Assessment and Points Test Advice
    Fee: AUD 706 (discounted because of Advisory Service)
    Waiting time: 58 working days after lodging

Expression of Interest with CSOL (not SOL) occupation
    Fee: AUD 200 (QLD SS)
    Waiting time: 3 working days after lodging EOI

Visa application (subclass 190, 80 points)
    Fee: AUD 5,280 (main applicant + spouse)
    Waiting time: 96 working days from lodging to grant (CO allocated on 34th day; affected by 190 slowdown)

• appledeuceappledeuce Sydney
    @mazza thank you for that easy-to-read post. Very informative. I have a follow up question though.

If someone has a non-IT (BSc) qualification from college, worked in IT for 5 years right after graduation, then gets an IT(BSc) qualification in Australia, will ACS consider the work experience prior to the IT qualification to meet the required experience for "full suitability"?

Thanks. Sorry @cgm for barging into your thread.

Student Visa 573 (SVP) Timeline:
    28 Nov 2013 - submitted int'l student application to Victoria Uni
    20-21 Dec 2013 - sat IELTS Academic module exam
    03 Jan 2014 - received IELTS scores (L:8.5 R:8.0 W:8.0 S:8.0 OBS:8.0)
    07 Jan 2014 - undertook medical exam at NHSI Makati
    16 Jan 2014 - received unconditional offer from VU
    13 Feb 2014 - paid 1st sem tuition fees; received e-COE from VU
    13 Feb 2014 - lodged visa application at PIASI
    17 Feb 2014 - received visa grant via email (thank you, Lord!)
    21 Feb 2014 - first day in OZ
    24 Feb 2014 - first day of classes
    19 June 2015 - last of day classes!
    06 Aug 2015 - received Letter of Completion from uni
    14 Oct 2015 - Graduation :D

Journey to PR:
    07 Aug 2015 - submitted skills assessment to ACS (261311 - Analyst Programmer)
    12 Aug 2015 - received positive skills assessment result from ACS
    12 Aug 2015 - submitted EOI for 189 (60 points), 190 (NSW-65 points), 489 (state and relative sponsored - 70 points)
    29 Oct 2015 - received ITA for NSW State Nomination
    03 Nov 2015 - submitted application for NSW State Nomination
    19 Nov 2015 - received NSW SN approval and ITA for 190 visa
    01 Dec 2015 - lodged 190 application
    14 Dec 2015 - health exam at BUPA Melbourne
    15 Dec 2015 - Initial (and hopefully final) CO contact, asking for PCC
    22 Dec 2015 - submitted Australian PCC and NBI Clearance
    16 Feb 2016 - received 190 PR visa grant

Citizenship:
    Date applied: 27 March 2018
    Date received the acknowledgement email: 27 March 2018
    Received test invite: 11 Feb 2019 for 25 March 2019 (rescheduled to 25 Feb)
    Citizenship Approval: 11 March 209
    Received Ceremony Invitation: 24 May 2019
    Date of Ceremony: 25 June 2019

• mazzamazza Singapore
    @appledeuce No worries! Actually, thank ACS, as most of my post was a direct quote from the ACS guidelines.
    I read in the non-Pinoy forums that ACS automatically deducts 2 years from your experience if you have a highly relevant qualification. If your qualification is not highly relevant, ACS deducts 4 years. This is only secondhand information, though.
    If the above is true, then I reckon ACS will deduct 4 years from your IT work experience prior to obtaining your IT bachelor's degree. If you had continued to hold a relevant job whilst studying, I imagine ACS would consider that as well.

My interpretation would look something like this:
    Part 1.

* You obtained your first degree (not highly relevant to your nominated occupation) in April 2000
    * You worked in IT (highly relevant to your nominated occupation) from May 2000 to April 2005
    * ACS will determine your "Skill Level Requirement Met Date" to be April 2004
    * ACS will consider you to have 1 year of highly relevant experience

Part 2.

* You studied in Australia full-time from February 2006, receiving your highly relevant qualification in July 2009
    * However, you also worked in IT (highly relevant to your nominated occupation) from January 2007 to December 2008
    * ACS will consider you to have 2 years of highly relevant experience + 1 year from Part 1 = 3 years

Part 3

* After obtaining your Australian IT qualification, you continued to work in a highly relevant position from January 2010 to December 2013
    * ACS will consider you to have 3 years of highly relevant experience + 3 years from Parts 1 and 2 = 6 years in total
    Again, this is my interpretation and your ACS case officer may see it differently.

Don't forget that ACS is only one part of the puzzle. DIBP may calculate your years of work experience differently (though this may be in your favour if DIBP considers the years that ACS deducted). If you are considering state sponsorship, I have also read that Victoria has its own panel of experts that may or may not agree with ACS's assessment of your qualifications and experience.

Good luck! :)

Waiting time: 96 working days from lodging to grant (CO allocated on 34th day; affected by 190 slowdown)

• appledeuceappledeuce Sydney
    @mazza thanks. However, part 1 above would only hold true if your first degree, although not highly relevant to your nominated occupation, is IT-related, right? That is why we have RPL for non IT-related degree holders, if my understanding is correct.

Student Visa 573 (SVP) Timeline:
    28 Nov 2013 - submitted int'l student application to Victoria Uni
    20-21 Dec 2013 - sat IELTS Academic module exam
    03 Jan 2014 - received IELTS scores (L:8.5 R:8.0 W:8.0 S:8.0 OBS:8.0)
    07 Jan 2014 - undertook medical exam at NHSI Makati
    16 Jan 2014 - received unconditional offer from VU
    13 Feb 2014 - paid 1st sem tuition fees; received e-COE from VU
    13 Feb 2014 - lodged visa application at PIASI
    17 Feb 2014 - received visa grant via email (thank you, Lord!)
    21 Feb 2014 - first day in OZ
    24 Feb 2014 - first day of classes
    19 June 2015 - last of day classes!
    06 Aug 2015 - received Letter of Completion from uni
    14 Oct 2015 - Graduation :D

Journey to PR:
    07 Aug 2015 - submitted skills assessment to ACS (261311 - Analyst Programmer)
    12 Aug 2015 - received positive skills assessment result from ACS
    12 Aug 2015 - submitted EOI for 189 (60 points), 190 (NSW-65 points), 489 (state and relative sponsored - 70 points)
    29 Oct 2015 - received ITA for NSW State Nomination
    03 Nov 2015 - submitted application for NSW State Nomination
    19 Nov 2015 - received NSW SN approval and ITA for 190 visa
    01 Dec 2015 - lodged 190 application
    14 Dec 2015 - health exam at BUPA Melbourne
    15 Dec 2015 - Initial (and hopefully final) CO contact, asking for PCC
    22 Dec 2015 - submitted Australian PCC and NBI Clearance
    16 Feb 2016 - received 190 PR visa grant

Citizenship:
    Date applied: 27 March 2018
    Date received the acknowledgement email: 27 March 2018
    Received test invite: 11 Feb 2019 for 25 March 2019 (rescheduled to 25 Feb)
    Citizenship Approval: 11 March 209
    Received Ceremony Invitation: 24 May 2019
    Date of Ceremony: 25 June 2019

• mazzamazza Singapore
    edited December 2013
    @appledeuce, yep, RPL + 6 years relevant experience if the first degree is non-IT.

Copied from the ACS guidelines:
    2. SUITABILITY CRITERIA

The Summary of Criteria document contains a summarised version of the following information.

Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major
     If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 2 years relevant work experience completed within the past 10 years or 4 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever date is earlier) to meet the suitability criteria.

 If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major which is NOT closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 4 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history to meet the suitability criteria.

Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Minor
     If your degree is assessed as having an ICT minor which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 5 years relevant work experience completed in the past 10 years or 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever date is earlier) to meet the suitability criteria.

 If your degree is assessed as having an ICT minor which is NOT closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history to meet the suitability criteria.

Non ICT Bachelor Degree or Higher
     If your degree is assessed with insufficient ICT content, you will require 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history, plus a suitable Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) application to meet the suitability criteria.

Diploma and Vendor Certification
     If your Diploma or Vendor Certification is assessed as having an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 5 years relevant work experience completed within the past 10 years or 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever date is earlier) to meet the suitability criteria.

 If your Diploma or Vendor Certification is assessed as having an ICT major which is NOT closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history to meet the suitability criteria.

Work Experience Only – Recognition of Prior Learning
     If you do not hold any tertiary educational qualifications, you will require 8 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history, plus a suitable Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) application to meet the suitability criteria.

Recent Graduate
    Please Note: Your result letter for a “Recent Graduate” type application will NOT state a “Skill Level Requirement Met Date” as work experience is not required to be assessed.

 If you are applying for a Recent Graduate application, you will require a Bachelor degree or higher with an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation to meet the
    suitability criteria.

Suitability Criteria Notes:
     In the case where the Skill Level Requirement Met Date depends upon both a qualification and the completion of a period of relevant work experience, the skill level requirement met date will be the later date of the qualification and experience.
     The 10 years requirement period for work experience is based on the past 10 years from the submission date of your online skills application.
     The term “Relevant work experience” means work experience which is closely related to the nominated occupation and performed at a professional ICT level.
     The ICT Major and Minor assessment is based on the percentage of ICT units and the percentage of ICT units closely related to the nominated occupation. Please see ANZSCO Code Descriptions for detailed descriptions of course units and employment duties.
     Advanced Diploma and Associate Degree share the same criteria as the “Diploma and Vendor Certification” criteria.

• cgmcgm Melbourne
    Thank you Mazza for sharing. I have started to enroll for IElts now and preparing docs for ACS skills assessment.

Resources

Visa Status Trackers

Timeline

09 Jul 2014 - Medicals

• cgmcgm Melbourne
    Hi mazza. Happy new year po. I’ll be taking IELTS next week.

One question po. I am currently working and managed to get a certificate of employment as of today. If i submit this to ACS and if there is no problem, can i update my certifcate of employment from the current work with the latest one especially when im lodging the visa later? The reason is in 3 months is i will be on my 7 years work experience. Im at 6 years 8 months pa ngayon. Sayang kasi it could mean extra points.

Thank you po

Resources

Visa Status Trackers

Timeline

09 Jul 2014 - Medicals

• mazzamazza Singapore
    edited January 2014
    @cgm, pwede po! In fact, it's not essential to get a new certificate of employment for the EOI/visa application stages as long as:

1. Your existing COE clearly states that you are a current employee
    2. You do not change companies or jobs within that company
    3. When you list this company and job in your EOI application and subsequent visa 189/190/etc. application, you say that you are still holding this position (i.e. end date is nil or to present)

Don't delay your assessment! We never know what other changes are coming. Come July, DIBP may introduce new rules, SOL/CSOL, and fees. NSW is no longer accepting applications for the rest of the financial year. (Not to mention that if you're approaching your 33rd or 39th birthday, your additional experience points may be negated by a reduction of age points.)

• cgmcgm Melbourne
    Hi Mazza. Thank you very much for the info. Yes, I plan to submit ACS assessment this month and will have IELTS on Jan 18th. Though self-assessment indicates 65 points already just looking for ways to increase it pa. I am planning for Victoria SS by the way.

Thanks again

Resources

Visa Status Trackers

Timeline

09 Jul 2014 - Medicals

• cgmcgm Melbourne
    Hi Mazza. Thank you very much for the info. Yes, I plan to submit ACS assessment this month and will have IELTS on Jan 18th. Though self-assessment indicates 65 points already just looking for ways to increase it pa. I am planning for Victoria SS by the way.

Thanks again

Resources

Visa Status Trackers

Timeline

09 Jul 2014 - Medicals

• mazzamazza Singapore
    edited January 2014
    (Not to mention that if you're approaching your 33rd or 39th birthday, your additional experience points may be negated by a reduction of age points.)
    Oops, my bad. It's the 40th, not 39th, birthday that will cause issues.
    The reason is in 3 months is i will be on my 7 years work experience. Im at 6 years 8 months pa ngayon. Sayang kasi it could mean extra points.
    I checked Booklet 6 again and, under existing SkillSelect rules, you won't get extra points until your 8th year of work. But considering how often the goalposts are moved, it never hurts to claim as many years of experience as you can.
    Though self-assessment indicates 65 points already just looking for ways to increase it pa. I am planning for Victoria SS by the way.
    Good strategy. Generally, points matter more for subclass 189 than subclass 190, but Victoria is pretty strict. It has its own panel of experts that may or may not agree with ACS's findings.

Good luck on your IELTS!

• olivetolivet Cebu City
    Please enlighten me guys.... For the past 13 years I have only 2 employers... For the purpose of claiming points for work experience, is it still necessary to include other relevant experience prior to the 13 years? My concern is... those experiences were on short time basis only. My thought is that the 13 years may probably suffice considering that it has already satisfied the # of work years to claim for the highest point in work experience.

Your advise and guidance will be highly appreciated

(Mentors and/or moderators pls help)..:)
  • thunder821thunder821 Singapore
    @mazza Hi, ask ko lang regarding the RPL part 1. Dapat ba essay sya na may example sa bawat company? or bawat topic sa sub-topic. Database Administrator kasi ako pero BS Chem graduate. Hindi ko din alam paano maglalagay ng evidence kc ung team working at communication wala ka naman evidence na mapo provide dun.

Sana po may mag reply. Napu frustrate na kasi ako kakahanap ng sagot sa mga forum, puro high level lang naman at walang example.

Salamat ng advance sa mga magre reply.
  • mergetwomergetwo Mandaluyong
    mazza said:

(Not to mention that if you're approaching your 33rd or 39th birthday, your additional experience points may be negated by a reduction of age points.)
    Oops, my bad. It's the 40th, not 39th, birthday that will cause issues.
    The reason is in 3 months is i will be on my 7 years work experience. Im at 6 years 8 months pa ngayon. Sayang kasi it could mean extra points.
    I checked Booklet 6 again and, under existing SkillSelect rules, you won't get extra points until your 8th year of work. But considering how often the goalposts are moved, it never hurts to claim as many years of experience as you can.
    Though self-assessment indicates 65 points already just looking for ways to increase it pa. I am planning for Victoria SS by the way.
    Good strategy. Generally, points matter more for subclass 189 than subclass 190, but Victoria is pretty strict. It has its own panel of experts that may or may not agree with ACS's findings.

Good luck on your IELTS!

@mazza hi. May i know the exact reference sa booklet 6? Is it under skillselect?

Husband Points - 60pts; 65pts SS
    261399 - Software and applications programmer nec

Jan-April 2016 - Gather reqts including revisions
    May 2016 - IELTS exam L:8.0/S:7.0/W:6.0/R: 7.0
    Aug 2016 - IELTS remarking Writing 6.0 to 7.0
    Sept 2016 - Notarized and red ribbon COEs&statdec
    Oct 6, 2016 - Submitted ACS
    Oct 14, 2016 - Received ACS letter (positive result)
    Oct 19, 2016 - Lodge 190 for NSW (hoping) and VIC
    Oct 24, 2016 - Submitted VIC application
    Oct 25, 2016 - Received the ref# (5am Phil time)
    Oct 31, 2016 - Withdrew NSW application (kasi di naman open sa kanila) and emailed VIC of this change --> No reply
    Nov 24, 2016 - Emailed again about the change
    Nov 28, 2016 - Replied from VIC, that the change was made 10/31

** Jan 10 is the 12th week **

• mergetwomergetwo Mandaluyong
    @mazza same question...

We were assessed 4.11yrs from october 2011-sept 2016, can i claim 10pts for 5yr experience now that its october 2016? Please if you have a reference from DIBP, send me the link. Thanks.

Husband Points - 60pts; 65pts SS
    261399 - Software and applications programmer nec

Jan-April 2016 - Gather reqts including revisions
    May 2016 - IELTS exam L:8.0/S:7.0/W:6.0/R: 7.0
    Aug 2016 - IELTS remarking Writing 6.0 to 7.0
    Sept 2016 - Notarized and red ribbon COEs&statdec
    Oct 6, 2016 - Submitted ACS
    Oct 14, 2016 - Received ACS letter (positive result)
    Oct 19, 2016 - Lodge 190 for NSW (hoping) and VIC
    Oct 24, 2016 - Submitted VIC application
    Oct 25, 2016 - Received the ref# (5am Phil time)
    Oct 31, 2016 - Withdrew NSW application (kasi di naman open sa kanila) and emailed VIC of this change --> No reply
    Nov 24, 2016 - Emailed again about the change
    Nov 28, 2016 - Replied from VIC, that the change was made 10/31

** Jan 10 is the 12th week **