Hi All, I hope everyone is well and also your family. As a way to extend help during this time of crisis, Visa Consort in partnership with Pinoy AU, would like to offer further reduced rate (for a limited period) to anyone who would wish to engage a migration agent service. If you have conducted your research, you know that their rate is one of the most affordable in the market. Please click here for more details about the offering.
Welcome to the New and Upgraded Pinoy AU Forum! We have only updated a couple of times since 2010. Apology it took some time. Some of the features are still being migrated. Please feel free to report here or email me at [email protected] if you will encounter any issues. Thank you.

Travelling outside Australia during COVID-19 for dual citizens

COVID-19 has restricted overseas travel. However, in some circumstances dual nationals may be able to travel overseas.

Who is a dual citizen?

A dual citizen is a person who is a citizen of 2 or more countries.

You become a dual citizen if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, are granted citizenship of another country and don’t lose your Australia citizenship, or
  • remain a citizen of another country and become an Australian citizen

Australia allows a person to have dual citizenship. Some countries do not.

Leaving and returning to Australia

Australians should use their Australian passport when exiting or entering Australia. This includes dual nationals.

If you’re a dual national and have a passport from another country, you may choose to travel on your other passport once outside Australia.

Entering and leaving your country of other nationality

Dual nationals may choose to enter and exit the country of their other nationality on that country’s passport.

If you enter the country of your other nationality on that country’s passport, local authorities may not recognise you as Australian. This can happen even if that country recognises dual nationality. This can limit the Australian government’s ability to provide you with consular assistance.

Some countries have restrictions on their departing nationals. This can include putting an exit permit (or exit visa) in their passport.

Travel during COVID-19

As you know Australian citizens cannot leave Australia right now due to COVID-19. However, there may be some exemptions.

Applicants can apply for an exemption online if they meet at least one of the following:

  • You are traveling to provide aid in response to COVID-19.
  • Your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business.
  • You are traveling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia.
  • You are travelling on urgent or unavoidable personal business.
  • You are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds.
  • Your travel is in the national interest.

You would need to provide documents to support your claim. Depending on the circumstances, the documents you must provide differ. Some examples include death certificate/s, a letter from a doctor or a letter from an employer showing that your travel is necessary.

You can submit your request application online. The request must be submitted at least two weeks, but not more than three months prior to travel. However, if you need to travel urgently (e.g. death of a close family member), your application will be prioritised.

You are exempt from having to provide evidence of having applied for and been granted an exemption if you are:

  • ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • an airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
  • a New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • engaged in the day-to-day conduct of outbound freight
  • associated with essential work at Australian offshore facilities
  • travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force
  • You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems. Here at SeekVisa we have obtained the ‘ordinarily resident exemption on the highlighted basis even though the person has spent more time in Australia than overseas. It appears that the exemption is automatic if you have spent more than 50% but you can still argue this.

Recent News

Travelling outside Australia during COVID-19 for dual citizens

Victorian business and investor visa nomination program reopens

Cancelling a visa or renouncing Australian citizenship

Australian Permanent Residency vs Australian Citizenship

New Zealand automatic visitor visa extensions and COVID-19 short-term visitor visa

The post Travelling outside Australia during COVID-19 for dual citizens appeared first on Australian Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers Melbourne | SeekVisa.


Top Active Contributors

Top Posters