Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Australian Citizenship Application Question

PogingNoypiPogingNoypi MelbournePosts: 238Member
Hello everyone,
I know this is too early to ask but I am just curious.
So let's say my PR Visa is effective until 15 September 2017 but I will just start to live in Australia in June 2014. I know there is a requirement wherein you need to be in Australia for 4 years prior you apply for an Australian Citizenship, do I still need to apply for a PR visa after Sept. 15, 2017 so that I can satisfy the citizenship requirement? I hope my question make sense.

March 5 - ACS submitted......
March 20 - ACS result.. Suitable (Analyst Programmer)
March 10 - IELTS Passed!
June 23 2012 - Sent my paper based application to Adelaide.
June 26, 2012 - DIAC received and sent a receipt.
August 9, 2012 - Received Medical and NBI Clearance Request.
August 10, 2012 - Had a Medical Exam on a Panel Doctor
August 13, 2012 - NBI Clearance application.
August 23, 2012 - Medical Results was submitted by the Panel Doctor.
September 2, 2012 - NBI clearance received by DIAC.
Visa Grant! - September 6, 2012!!!

Comments

• TasBurrfootTasBurrfoot Osaka
    edited May 2014
    Hello everyone,
    So let's say my PR Visa is effective until 15 September 2017 but I will just start to live in Australia in June 2014. I know there is a requirement wherein you need to be in Australia for 4 years prior you apply for an Australian Citizenship, do I still need to apply for a PR visa after Sept. 15, 2017 so that I can satisfy the citizenship requirement? I hope my question make sense.
    It is too early nga... First thing to worry is get yourself established here when you arrive! :)

Anyway, to answer your question; technically you can only apply for citizenship on or after June 2018 correct?

Essentially what happens after Sept 15, 2017 is that your reentry visa permit as a PR will becoming void. You are still a PR per se but in the event that you leave Australia, you cannot enter back if you don't renew this visa.

There will be no issues if you remain in Australia with an expired re-entry visa, and yes you can still apply for citizenship when you are already qualified.

Hope this helps; if my understanding is wrong on this matter, please feel free to let me know.

Primary Applicant: Wife
    Accountant (General): 221111

04 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module)
    07 Aug 2012 - IELTS (Academic Module) Speaking Part
    17 Aug 2012 - IELTS Results (L: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 7.0 S: 7.5 OBS: 8.0)
    24 Aug 2012 - CPAA Submitted (docs mailed same day via SG EMS)
    25 Sep 2012 - Received +Skills Assessment from CPAA
    25 Sep 2012 - Lodged EOI Application with 70pts
    30 Sep 2012 - Invited by DIAC to apply for 189 Visa
    01 Oct 2012 - Submitted 189 Visa Application
    20 Oct 2012 - Medical Examinations
    23 Oct 2012 - CO Assigned; Team 7 - SA
    05 Nov 2012 - Submitted SG PCC and NBI Clearance
    06 Nov 2012 - Visa Granted (IED: 23/10/2013)
    03 Apr 2013 - Flight to MEL
    03 Jun 2013 - started work
    12 Jun 2013 - wife started work
    15 Jun 2016 - applied for citizenship
    29 Jul 2016 - citizenship examination
    20 Oct 2016 - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!

• JCsantosJCsantos Sydney
    Ang alam ko sa ( PR) skilled independent you can stay as long as you want kahit paso na yung visa mo provided na imde ka lalabas ng australia, then it is up to you to file another extension ng PR status mo or file for a citizenship

Google for Everything !!!

• anne9anne9 Singapore
    @TasBurrfoot @JCsantos Hi! i-clarify ko lang sana, so kahit nag expire na yung PR/Skilled Independent visa mo, you are allowed to continue to stay in Australia? PR status ka parin? Yung sa akin kasi will expire Aug 2015, kaya iniisip ko paano i-renew. :)
    @anne9

Read your visa conditions just to make sure, it will say something like 'Indefinite stay' , we also came here as independent skilled migrant so I am guessing we have the same conditions

• PogingNoypiPogingNoypi Melbourne
    Hello everyone,
    It is too early nga... First thing to worry is get yourself established here when you arrive! :)

Anyway, to answer your question; technically you can only apply for citizenship on or after June 2018 correct?

Essentially what happens after Sept 15, 2017 is that your reentry visa permit as a PR will becoming void. You are still a PR per se but in the event that you leave Australia, you cannot enter back if you don't renew this visa.

There will be no issues if you remain in Australia with an expired re-entry visa, and yes you can still apply for citizenship when you are already qualified.

Hope this helps; if my understanding is wrong on this matter, please feel free to let me know.
    Hello TasBurrfoot,
    Curious lang po ako, ano ano po ba yung requirements na pinasa nyo para makakuha ng citizenship? Nagpasa po ba ulit kayo ng NBI, Police Clearances from the Philippines? Naiiisip ko kasi abala na naman sa pagkuha kasi may expiration ang mga NBI at police clearances sa Pinas.

March 10 - IELTS Passed!

• MANZMANZ Sydney
    even when your visa expires you will still be PR but you should not leave Australia otherwise you have to apply for re-entry. You do not have to apply for PR again as you are already PR, just the right to come and leave the country is affected by the 5 year visa. You can leave the country but make sure you get a resident return visa from Immigration.

Next step would be to apply for citizenship (assuming you have been here 4 years) and yes you will need your NBI clearances. You can get the forms from your local consulate as they will thumbmark you and then you can send the NBI form to someone in the Philippines you know for processing.
    edited December 2014

Next step would be to apply for citizenship (assuming you have been here 4 years) and yes you will need your NBI clearances. You can get the forms from your local consulate as they will thumbmark you and then you can send the NBI form to someone in the Philippines you know for processing.
    Nagbago na ba ang process, dati all we did was pass the citizenship exam and that's it ... we did not applied for a NBI clearance

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/law-and-policy/legis_changes/res_req_changes/

Between 1 July 2007 and 30 June 2010 there has been transitional arrangements in place.

If you became a permanent resident before 1 July 2007, and apply on or before 30 June 2010, the residence requirement is:
    You must have been living in Australia for 2 years as a permanent resident in the 5 years immediately before applying, including 1 year in the 2 years immediately before applying.
    If you became a permanent resident on or after 1 July 2007 the residence requirement is:
    You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
    You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

• muffles127muffles127 Sydney
    edited December 2014
    @JCsantos meron kasing part dun regarding good character pero sa pagkakaalam ko meron siyang requisites dun para marequire ka humingi ng police clearance ie nung time na permanent resident ka eh nawala ka sa australia for more than 90 days so need mo kumuha ng police clearance from the country na nagspend ka nung 90 days. So kung less than hindi naman kelangan :) yan ang last known na alam ko din not sure kung binago nila uli yan :)
    @JCsantos meron kasing part dun regarding good character pero sa pagkakaalam ko meron siyang requisites dun para marequire ka humingi ng police clearance ie nung time na permanent resident ka eh nawala ka sa australia for more than 90 days so need mo kumuha ng police clearance from the country na nagspend ka nung 90 days. So kung less than hindi naman kelangan :) yan ang last known na alam ko din not sure kung binago nila uli yan :)
    Parang ganto nga po ang pagkakaexplain sa akin dati. Pag 4 years ay nasa Australia lang, wala ka na po kukuning NBI clearance.

March 10 - IELTS Passed!

C wifey ko nag initial entry ng june tapos bumalik ng feb pero inde kumuha ng nbi when she applied for a citizenship

• sydneysidersydneysider Hart
    i applied for citizenship June this year. i was never out of Australia since 2010. we were not asked to submit a nbi clearance. tama sila...

You need penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if:

you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and
    the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and
    the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or
    you are requested to do so by the department.
    Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country that you spent more than 90 days in.
  • mjsemjse Melbourne
    hi all! tanong lang po regarding citizenship..
    yung mga baby na dependent ng primary visa holder na hindi kagad naisasama sa AU immediately after nagmigrate ang parents, will they be eligible to be applied for citizenship kasabay ng parents kahit di pa sila nakakapagstay sa australia ng 4 yrs? or dapat mag buno muna sila ng 4 yrs before they can be applied for citizenship?

wala po kasi kame idea, any input is much appreciated.

• vhoythoyvhoythoy Melbourne
    edited January 2015
    Tanong lang nag initial entry kami last july 27 2014 then mag move kami sa australia by May 2015. Mga anong earliest time namin na makaapply ng citizenship? May 2019 tama ba? Since mga around 10 months kami wla sa oz, from initial entry to big move, ibig sabihin kapag lumabas pa kami ng cummulative 3 months before applications need na namin kumuha ng nbi ulit? Thanks

ANZSCO 221214 - Internal Auditor
    19 Jan 13 - Academic IELTS Results - passed
    12 July 13 - Vetassess Assessment + Point Test Advice: Positive
    03 Nov 13 - Invitation Accepted 70 points
    19 Dec 13 - Lodged Visa 189
    07 Feb 14 - Visa Granted
    04 Aug 14 - Initial Entry Date requirement
    26 July 14 - Actual IED to Melbourne
    May 2015 - Big Move
    June 2015 - Got a permanent role in Melbourne
    Apr 2016 - Got a contract consultancy role in Melbourne
    May 2016 - Got permanent role and moved to Toowooba, Queensland

And now...... living the life that i have imagined

"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed" - Ansel Adams

edited January 2015
    @vhoythoy kung tama ang pagkakaintindi ko sa time na inactivate mo yung visa mo yun na ang Permanent residence start date mo so July 27, 2018 pwede ka na magapply :) sabi kse sa rules basta over 90 days kelangan ng penal clearance certificate. Sa philippines ka ba bumalik after ng initial entry mo?if so yun kelangan daw :) pero sa experience ni JCsantos hindi daw hiningan yung wife niya so baka pwedeng hindi haha :)
    Ung wife at anak ko sa pinas ako naman sa sg continue my work. So ako sg police clearance at ung wife ko nman nbi sa pinas? It means kapag nag initial entry ka then bumalik ka after a year automatic required ka na kumuha ng police clearance/ nbi kapag nag apply ka sa earliest time for citizenship application?

07 Feb 14 - Visa Granted
    May 2015 - Big Move

"A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed" - Ansel Adams

@vhoythoy disregard mo nga yung sinabi ko anyways, binasa ko kse uli yung rule meron siyang requisites para mahingan ka basta wag over 12 months na nawala ka hindi ka nila irerequire. Since 10 months ka lang nawala hindi ka nila hihingan. Pero pag over 12 months ka nawala hihingan ka sa mga countries na nagstay ka over 90 days :) medyo clear na ba?
    edited January 2015
    ^eto yung excerpt
    Penal clearance certificates from overseas countries are

required if:
    • you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of
    18 years or over, and
    • you held a permanent Australian visa at that time, and
    • the total time spent outside Australia added up to
    12 months or more, and
    • the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days,
    or
    • requested by the department.

So dapat mameet mo yung mga bullet points na yan :) hindi kase siya "or" so I assume dapat mameet mo siya lahat para marequire ka ng penal clearance :)
  • ricomineroricominero Perth
    Meron pong residence requirement calculator ang immi.

eto ung link: https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship
    and
    absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

ANZSCO Code: 233611

28-02-12 457 Visa Approved
    13-11-14 186 Visa Approved
    10-09-16 Citizenship Approved
    26-01-17 Citizenship Ceremony

edited January 2015

4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship
    and
    absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.
    Tama ba, nag entry kami July 26 2014 umalis ng 2 Aug 2014 and babalik ng May 2015 (less than a year). Ang lawful residence namin will start at 26 July 2014?

07 Feb 14 - Visa Granted
    May 2015 - Big Move

and
    Tama ba, nag entry kami July 26 2014 umalis ng 2 Aug 2014 and babalik ng May 2015 (less than a year). Ang lawful residence namin will start at 26 July 2014?
    Opo, tama po.

March 10 - IELTS Passed!

i applied for citizenship June this year. i was never out of Australia since 2010. we were not asked to submit a nbi clearance. tama sila...

You need penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if:

you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and
    the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and
    the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or
    you are requested to do so by the department.
    Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country that you spent more than 90 days in.

Kelan po na-grant yung visa mo po at kelan mo po napa-activate?

March 10 - IELTS Passed!

• IslanderndCityIslanderndCity Adelaide
    If after INitial entry you stayed outside Au for more than 12 months bago ka bumalik sa Au, ano consequence po sa australian citizenship application mo soon?

Assessed Occupation: Industrial Engineer (IE 233511)
    Achieved Goal: Australia PR (Permanent Resident). Thanks God!

...sharpening my core gifts now...
    ...working on new, better goals...

Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. ~Luke 6:28~

• fgsfgs Cooper Basin
    @anne9 you can still stay in Au with an expired PR visa.If you intend to leave Au and be back, you need to apply for a Resident Return visa
  • LizzieLizzie Stockholm
    @IslanderndCity
    Then your eligibility to apply for Australian citizenship will be delayed by 12 months
    why 12 months? why not the excess of 12 months only? @Lizzie

so for example:
    Aug 2014 - visa granted
    Feb 2015 - initial entry (4-year residency will start counting from Feb 2015. Correct?)
    Feb 2016 - babalik sa Au for BIG move

so mag 4th year in total na by Feb 2019. It means, after this, pwede na mag-apply for citizenship. Correct?

if hindi tutuloy sa Feb 2016 BIG move, so more than 1 year na nasa labas ng Au after initial entry last Feb 2015, no problem sa citizenship application soon dahil Aug 2019 pa naman mag-expire ang visa. Correct?

edited December 2015
    so for example:
    Aug 2014 - visa granted
    Feb 2015 - initial entry (4-year residency will start counting from Feb 2015. Correct?)

so mag 4th year in total na by Feb 2019. It means, after this, pwede na mag-apply for citizenship. Correct?

if hindi tutuloy sa Feb 2016 BIG move, so more than 1 year na nasa labas ng Au after initial entry last Feb 2015, no problem sa citizenship application soon dahil Aug 2019 pa naman mag-expire ang visa. Correct?
    The residency requirement is counted on the days you reside in AU not the days after you enter AU, it means if you Enter by 2015 then left, then came back again on 2016 to settle down in AU then you count the days after it, inde po counted yung out of the country ka

so for example:
    Aug 2014 - visa granted

The residency requirement is counted on the days you reside in AU not the days after you enter AU, it means if you Enter by 2015 then left, then came back again on 2016 to settle down in AU then you count the days after it, inde po counted yung out of the country ka
    @JCsantos - believe you are wrong in stating that residency requirement is counted on the days you reside on in AU and not the days after you enter AU... Take a look at the below lifted out from the citizenship website especially #2:

The residence requirement is based on the time you have lived in Australia and the time you have spent outside Australia.

You must:

(1) have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
    (2) not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

so for example:
    Aug 2014 - visa granted

Suggest you use the residence calculator and plug in your hypothetical scenarios...

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Retu/residence-calculator

so for example:
    Aug 2014 - visa granted

@JCsantos - believe you are wrong in stating that residency requirement is counted on the days you reside on in AU and not the days after you enter AU... Take a look at the below lifted out from the citizenship website especially #2:

The residence requirement is based on the time you have lived in Australia and the time you have spent outside Australia.

You must:

(1) have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
    (2) not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.
    Enter and Lived is two different word