Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Tipid Tips

jakibantilesjakibantiles SydneyPosts: 315Member

Hello po. 10 months pa lang po kami ni hubs dito sa Sydney. Planning to have kids and hopefully makabili ng bahay as soon as possible. Umaabot ng 5k yung expenses namin monthly which I think sobrang laki. Any tipid tips po sa everyday expenses and even cheap but good quality buys na pwedeng dayuhin dito sa AU? Halimbawa, bili sa Cabramatta vs Costco, Coles or Woolworths, furnitures, clothes, kids essentials, etc. Kahit anong tipid tips po sana. Salamat po sa magsheshare! 😍

ANZSCO 233512 | Mechanical Engineer | Age: 30, Education: 15, Work Experience: 10, PTE: 20, Spouse: 10, CCL: 5 | State Nom: 5 (NSW)

Lodged Visa 482 | 17 Mar 2020 | Granted 24 Sep 2020 while Offshore
Travel Exemption | DOA: 08 Oct 2020 | Approved: 12 Oct 2020

Lodged EOI: Visa 190/95pts NSW
DOE: 23 Dec 2020
Pre-Invite: 10 June 2021
ITA: 18 June 2021
Visa Lodge: 05 Aug 2021
Medical: 31 Jan 2022
Visa Grant: 20 Apr 2022

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@jakibantiles said:
    Hello po. 10 months pa lang po kami ni hubs dito sa Sydney. Planning to have kids and hopefully makabili ng bahay as soon as possible. Umaabot ng 5k yung expenses namin monthly which I think sobrang laki. Any tipid tips po sa everyday expenses and even cheap but good quality buys na pwedeng dayuhin dito sa AU? Halimbawa, bili sa Cabramatta vs Costco, Coles or Woolworths, furnitures, clothes, kids essentials, etc. Kahit anong tipid tips po sana. Salamat po sa magsheshare! 😍

If I may ask, what's the breakdown of that 5k/month living expenses?

Generally the rent ang pinakamalaki na gastos, then transpo, utilities/bills. If it's an option for you to move to a more affordable place for the next year or so para makaipon for house downpayment, that would be better because short-term sacrifice sya. Rent in Sydney can be very expensive, especially if you live close to CBD. If there's nothing you can do about the rent, shop around for better utility providers--mobile, gas, electricity, etc. For my mobile plan I pay only AUD 30/month with 40Gb data with Vaya, because it didn't include a new phone. I have never paid for gas/elec/water bills before because I always look for a room for rent (houseshare) that includes all those na (I paid AUD 230/week but I lived near CBD so bawas gastos din sa transpo). I did the same here in Brisbane, so ang main expenses ko nlng are transpo (I don't drive in Australia, so public transpo all the way), mobile plan, extra health insurance, and food (Coles/Woolies/Aldi). Then miminsan lang ako magshopping (Kmart, Big W, Target, and Daiso are my go-to places). Coles and Woolies have pretty much the same range of products, so check out their weekly sales. Kung alin yung may discount, dun ako bibili, then I'll figure out a menu based on the product on sale, hehehe. I think the location/place to shop only makes a small difference, especially since dalawa lang kayo ng husband mo (it'll probably only make a big difference kung marami kayong anak).

I understand that as a couple you need your own place, and that's perfectly fine. My advice is just to identify what are your savings goals first, then work out a maximum budget that you're willing to spend for living expenses (rent, transpo, bills, food, shopping). As a single person, I survived on a monthly budget of AUD 1200 (AUD 1500 if ma-shopping or laging may takeaway for that month hehe) for the past 3 years. I've cut my expenses to the bare minimum/essentials, then the rest go to savings.

One big expense na minsan hindi maiwasan is to eat out/takeaway, especially if you live near a takeaway place (which was the case for me in Sydney). Here in Brisbane, iilan lang yung takeaway place around my house so I was forced to do more homecooking with simpler dishes (less ingredients = less spending). Also, I limit my visits to grocery and shopping centers to a minimum para hindi ma-tempt magshopping hehehe.

Hope that helps.

caspersushi24jakibantilesbaikend_b

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• jakibantilesjakibantiles Sydney

@athelene said:

@jakibantiles said:

Generally the rent ang pinakamalaki na gastos, then transpo, utilities/bills. If it's an option for you to move to a more affordable place for the next year or so para makaipon for house downpayment, that would be better because short-term sacrifice sya. Rent in Sydney can be very expensive, especially if you live close to CBD. If there's nothing you can do about the rent, shop around for better utility providers--mobile, gas, electricity, etc. For my mobile plan I pay only AUD 30/month with 40Gb data with Vaya, because it didn't include a new phone. I have never paid for gas/elec/water bills before because I always look for a room for rent (houseshare) that includes all those na (I paid AUD 230/week but I lived near CBD so bawas gastos din sa transpo). I did the same here in Brisbane, so ang main expenses ko nlng are transpo (I don't drive in Australia, so public transpo all the way), mobile plan, extra health insurance, and food (Coles/Woolies/Aldi). Then miminsan lang ako magshopping (Kmart, Big W, Target, and Daiso are my go-to places). Coles and Woolies have pretty much the same range of products, so check out their weekly sales. Kung alin yung may discount, dun ako bibili, then I'll figure out a menu based on the product on sale, hehehe. I think the location/place to shop only makes a small difference, especially since dalawa lang kayo ng husband mo (it'll probably only make a big difference kung marami kayong anak).

I understand that as a couple you need your own place, and that's perfectly fine. My advice is just to identify what are your savings goals first, then work out a maximum budget that you're willing to spend for living expenses (rent, transpo, bills, food, shopping). As a single person, I survived on a monthly budget of AUD 1200 (AUD 1500 if ma-shopping or laging may takeaway for that month hehe) for the past 3 years. I've cut my expenses to the bare minimum/essentials, then the rest go to savings.

One big expense na minsan hindi maiwasan is to eat out/takeaway, especially if you live near a takeaway place (which was the case for me in Sydney). Here in Brisbane, iilan lang yung takeaway place around my house so I was forced to do more homecooking with simpler dishes (less ingredients = less spending). Also, I limit my visits to grocery and shopping centers to a minimum para hindi ma-tempt magshopping hehehe.

Hope that helps.

Woow! Ang galing niyo pong magbudget. Noted po sa sacrifice ng konti sa rent. Since wala pa naman anak, kaya naman siguro namin maghouse share muna para mapabilis ang ipon. Laking tipid nga yun, di na prob ang utilities/bills. Madalang po ako makakita ng sale sa mga coles/woolies/aldi, may timing po ba? 😅

Ito po yung breakdown namin:
    Rent: 360/wk
    Food: 700/mo
    PHI: 250/mo
    Car: 990/mo (all in-gas, insurance, rego, etc)
    Phone: 115/mo
    Gas/Net/Elec: 180/mo
    Transpo: 200/mo (ako lang)

Bale almost 4k/mo lang po pala. Naisama ko pala yung padala ko sa parents 😅

ANZSCO 233512 | Mechanical Engineer | Age: 30, Education: 15, Work Experience: 10, PTE: 20, Spouse: 10, CCL: 5 | State Nom: 5 (NSW)

• OzlazOzlaz Melbourne

Rent: 1738
    Food: 600/mo - aldi/coles
    Car: 800/mo (all in-gas, insurance, rego, etc)
    Phone: 32/mo (2 na kami ng asawa ko)
    Gas/Net/Elec: 230/mo

=3400
    Tapos 600 sa recreation (family of 5)

We are in Melbourne.. yung phone namin, 20gb lang. May promo kaya 16 per month lang. Hehe

athelened_b

261311 - Analyst Programmer

2016 - IELTS Failed W6.5
    11.11.2016 - PTE-Acad Failed(S58)
    02.01.2017 - PTE-Acad Passed!! Thank you Lord!!! - superior
    02.07.2017 - Submitted ACS assessment
    02.15.2017 - Got positive assessment.Thank you Lord!!!
    02.15.2017 - Lodged EOI 189 {70pts}
    03.01.2017 - ITA received
    03.31.2017 - Medical at Nationwide
    04.10.2017 - Medical Cleared
    04.11.2017 - Sg coc e-appeal approved
    04.19.2017 - NBI clearance! (Hit!)
    04.20.2017 - lodged 189
    04.21.2017 - frontloaded all docs except nbi and sg coc
    05.29.2017 - CO contact - additional payslips and form 815
    05.31.2017 - uploaded docs

11 Sept 17 - Grant! Thank you Lord :)

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@jakibantiles said:
    Woow! Ang galing niyo pong magbudget. Noted po sa sacrifice ng konti sa rent. Since wala pa naman anak, kaya naman siguro namin maghouse share muna para mapabilis ang ipon. Laking tipid nga yun, di na prob ang utilities/bills. Madalang po ako makakita ng sale sa mga coles/woolies/aldi, may timing po ba? 😅

Car: 990/mo (all in-gas, insurance, rego, etc)
    Phone: 115/mo

hahaha forced magtipid kasi maliit lng yung fortnightly stipend on the scholarship :D at bago ako dumating sa australia, nakapagtanong na ko sa kakilala ko about yung phone plan. AUD 15-20/mo lang daw yung kanya pero di naman siya naka-data plan, so nagresearch lng tlga ako ng mura na mobile plan. yung sa rent, i was more willing to pay higher rent to live closer to the city, bawas ng konti yung transpo expenses at di masyado pagod/haggard pag pumapasok sa uni. Nadiscover ko lang on my own yung laking tipid ng houseshare na inclusive yung bills, and wala na iisipin after magbayad ng rent.

As for sale sa grocery, laging merong sale every few weeks, minsan few cents lang ang difference, minsan almost half-price. I would also recommend checking out asian groceries kasi mas mura yung ibang items (yung ginger na 49/kg sa coles/woolies, 20/kg sa asian grocery hahaha). Mas gusto ko magshopping ng garlic and ginger sa asian grocery, tapos yung frozen chopped onions binibili ko sa coles (lifesaver for me na laging naiiyak pag naghihiwa ng sibuyas hahaha). OK yung Thai Kee and Miracle Supermarkets in the Haymarket area; check out if there are big asian groceries in your area. Meron ata ok na market sa Flemington kasi marami akong nakikitang tao na puno yung cart/trolley pag sumasakay ng train.

For your breakdown, it looks ok naman, so car pala yung malaking expense nyo and yung rent hehehe. Iniisip ko dati kung kukuha pa ako ng car, but looking at that monthly expense, nakakadismaya yung cost 😅 commute nalang tlga ako hahaha. Maybe try spending less on food/grocery for a month and see if it makes a big difference? Minsan kasi di natin alam na overspending tayo sa food, when we can spend so much less. Like Coles has bulk packages for chicken (yung 1kg), so get those ones instead of the 500g ones. Also, they decrease the price on those meat products pag malapit na sa best-before dates (like kailangan na lutuin that day or the next), mga few dollars difference din. Shop around for better price on your mobile plan, then change provider if wala kayong contract. Alam ko free naman lumipat ng provider and you can keep the same number (I've transferred from Amaysim prepaid sim to Jeenee/Vaya and have kept the same number).

jakibantiles

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• engineer20engineer20 Sydney

@jakibantiles said:

@athelene said:

@jakibantiles said:

Hope that helps.

Car: 990/mo (all in-gas, insurance, rego, etc) - medyo mataas ito
    Phone: 115/mo - may kasamang phone sa plan? kung wala look for cheaper sim-only plan

@jakibantiles coles/woolies have their weekly specials na nagpapalit every Wednesday. check their catalogues na available sa shops or online. Pag mga fish, meat at veggies/fruits naman usually mas mura sa butchers at asian.

lunarcatathelenejakibantilesbaiken

29May2015: Submitted Online Application to VETASSESS (312112 Building Associate)
    02Jun2015: Lodged Date at VETASSESS
    28Aug2015: VETASSESS Assessment Completed (312112 Building Associate) - POSITIVE
    17Oct2015: PTE-A taken at SG
    19Oct2015: PTE-A Result: L-83, R-90, S-76, W-90 OAS-87
    19Oct2015: Submitted EOI Visa 190 (65 points plus SS 5 points if granted)
    19Oct2015: Submitted VIC SS Online Application Visa 190
    20Oct2015: VIC acknowledged SS application and gave Reference Number
    02Nov2015: VIC SS Application Rejected
    05Nov2015: Submitted Online Reassessment to VETASSESS (312212 Civil Engineering Technician) 08Feb2016: VETASSESS Outcome POSITIVE
    07Nov2015: Updated EOI to select NSW (312112)
    18Dec2015: Received NSW SS Invitation Stream 2
    21Dec2015: Lodged NSW SS Application
    12Jan2016: NSW SS Approved / Visa 190 ITA Received
    29Jan2016: SG PCC (Me) / Medical (Me, Wife and Kid)
    01Feb2016: Medicals Cleared
    05Feb2016: Lodged Visa 190
    18Feb2016: NBI Clearance Applied (Me and Wife) - HIT
    29Feb2016: SG PCC (Wife)
    03Mar2016: Collected and Uploaded NBI Clearance
    04Mar2016: Direct Grant
    07May2016: Initial Entry (Sydney)
    16Jul2017: Big Move
    Oct2020: Lodged Citizenship Application
    May2021: Citizenship Interview and Test
    TBA: Citizenship Ceremony

• jakibantilesjakibantiles Sydney

@athelene @engineer20 woow! Thanks po sa tips! Noted po sa Wed na grocery schedule at magcheck ng cheaper phone plans! All the best po! 😄

• crashbandicootcrashbandicoot Sydney

@jakibantiles said:
    @athelene @engineer20 woow! Thanks po sa tips! Noted po sa Wed na grocery schedule at magcheck ng cheaper phone plans! All the best po! 😄

Check nyo rin yung Boost mobile. Sulit para sakin 300 AUD/yr (minsan nagppromo sila ng 245 AUD) kasi unli calls and text din sa Pinas.

ANZSCO 261313 Software Engineer
    21/03/2021 Started asking HRs and managers for employment reference
    26/03/2021 Received employment reference from Employer 2 HR
    29/03/2021 Received employment reference from Employer 5 HR
    30/03/2021 Received employment reference from Employer 4 HR
    11/06/2021 Received statutory declaration from Employer 3 manager
    23/06/2021 Received statutory declaration and CoE from Employer 1 manager
    26/06/2021 Received CoE from Employer 3 manager
    26/06/2021 ACS Skills Assessment - Received Application
    28/06/2021 ACS Skills Assessment - With Assessor
    09/08/2021 ACS Skills Assessment - Application Finalised
    04/10/2021 PTE-A Exam and Results Received
    04/10/2021 EOI Submitted (190), Date of Effect
    16/10/2021 EOI Updated (189), Date of Effect

• agentKamsagentKams Toowoomba

@jakibantiles bulk buy sa butcher for the meat, weekend market for the veggies/fruits. bumibili ako ng maramihan pag 1/2 price esp rice sa coles/woolies.

Timeline: Student Visa Subclass 573 (Masters)
    06 July 2015: Visa Grant
    April 2018: Uni Graduation

Timeline: Permanent Visa (189) Accountant 221111
    18 April 2018: ITA received - Visa 189
    04 May 2018 : Lodged Visa Application - Visa 189
    29 Aug 2018 - First CO Contact - PCC Qatar (partner)
    9 Jan 2019 - 2nd CO Contact - penal waiver
    18 Jan 2019 - Updated immiaccount with penal waiver
    29 Jan 2019 - Forwarded PCC to gsm.allocated email
    8 Feb 2019 - Visa Grant - Finally!!

Timeline: Citizenship
    July 2020: Application lodgment
    May 2021: Citizenship Exam
    Feb 2022: Oi! Oi! Oi! Aussie na din sa wakas!

• Desert_CowboyDesert_Cowboy Port Macquarie

@Ozlaz said:
    Rent: 1738
    Food: 600/mo - aldi/coles
    Car: 800/mo (all in-gas, insurance, rego, etc)
    Phone: 32/mo (2 na kami ng asawa ko)
    Gas/Net/Elec: 230/mo

=3400
    Tapos 600 sa recreation (family of 5)

We are in Melbourne.. yung phone namin, 20gb lang. May promo kaya 16 per month lang. Hehe

Hello. Wow good news for me. 3400 for family of 5!
    Plan din naming magmigrate sa AU. Waiting nalang kami for visa grant kaya nagreresearch ako about sa expenses. We're a family of 6, and I'm bothered sa living expenses baka di kayanin kasi single income earner ako. My estimated income would be about 5k AUD after tax. Free naman ung education ng mga bata sa government schools at may Medicare din. Mejo nabobother ako sa mga nababasa kung 4k-5k ung budget for a couple with no kids. Nakita ko ung comments mo at nagkaroon ako ng pag asa. hehe. kaya pala nasa diskarte lang.

234611 MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST

491 FS : 90 pts
    Experience: 10
    Degree: 15
    English : 20
    Sponsor: 15
    Assessing Authority: AIMS

TIMELINE
    25 June 2016 ----------- IELTS exam (L: 7.5 R: 8.5 W: 6.5 S: 6.5) 7.5 overall
    25 February 2019 -----------Documents for First stage Assessment sent to AIMS through Philpost
    4 March 2019 -----------Documents for First stage Assessment received by AIMS
    3 May 2019 -----------First stage Assessment result received
    5 September 2019 -----------Second Stage Assessment (Examination) in Riyadh
    12 November 2019 -----------AIMS examination result received (Passed)
    11 October 2020 -----------PTE exam (Superior R:90 S:90 L: 90 W:90) I can't believe this
    12 October 2020 -----------EOI submitted (491, 190, 189)
    14 November 2020 -----------EOI updated (+5 points due to additional experience)
    29 October 2021 ------------EOI for visa 491 Family Sponsored invited. I was aiming for 189 but I can't let this pass. Its
    now or never. Passport used for EOI expired.
    6 December 2021 -----------Passport renewed
    8 December 2021 -----------491 Visa lodged
    5 January 2022 -----------Medicals
    15 February 2022 ------------ VISA GRANTED! Family of 6 - Direct grant.
    A long journey, but a longer journey ahead. Keep the faith!