Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Mobile Network and Public Transportation Related Questions

ddulayddulay MelbournePosts: 7Member
edited April 2013 in South Australia - Adelaide
G'day Crow Eaters! (got this slang from the net which apparently refers to people of SA.. sorry I can't help it)

Hope you're all doing well. I just have a couple of questions regarding mobile networks and transportation ticket.

1. Which mobile network gives more value for money as far as local calls is concerned? The reason I ask is because I'll be doing some job hunting when I get to Adelaide and I assume I'll be making calls a lot.
2. When buying bus/tram/train ticket to the city, which one would you suggest? I think there is something like a monthly/weekly deal... I already tried looking at Adelaide metro's website, but of course I still would like to hear suggestions/tips from you.

Looking forward to meet you guys. Thank you all in advance. :)

Comments

• RenRen Adelaide, SA
    @ddulay

G'day to you mate, hehehe nice opening remarks! lol

1. So far it seems vodafone is the cheapest (free call to vodafones). But I think whichever provider is okay. (Optus, telstra, virgin mobile)

2. Buy a metrocard, (it saves you a dollar, than buying it on the bus). Buy the regular metrocard (unless you are a student then of course get the student metrocard). You can use that in buy/tram/train. It's more like a prepaid card that you can reload whatever amount you want (I think it has to be in 10s, 20s increments.)
    for more info http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Tickets/Metrocard/Getting-a-metrocard

Hope that helps!
    Ta!

Accommodations suggested websites
    http://pinoyau.info/discussion/1573/where-to-look-for-accommodations-suggested-websites-here/p1
    Job Searching Tips

http://pinoyau.info/discussion/849/job-searching-tips/p1

Medical Laboratory Technician 311213 (SA State Sponsored 475) 21.8.10 IELTS/ 7.12.09 AIMS assessment/ 25.03.11 SA SS approved/ 27.03.11 VISA lodge DIAC/ 03.05.11 VISA grant/ 25.06.11 Initial Entry/17.10.11 Work/ 08.01.14 PR/ Citizen 30.08.16

“The relation between what we see and what we know is never settled. Each evening we see the sun set. We know that the earth is turning away from it. Yet the knowledge, the explanation, never quite fits the sight.”
    ― John Berger, Ways of Seeing

• ddulayddulay Melbourne
    edited April 2013
    Thanks @Ren

Btw, can I buy all of those (prepaid sim cards and metrocard) inside Adelaide airport?
  • RenRen Adelaide, SA
    @ddulay I'm not sure it seems there is no sim card retailer at the airport. I am only guessing because sim cards here are very regulated, you have to register it using your passport. So maybe that is the reason why you cant just get it wherever.

Accommodations suggested websites
    http://pinoyau.info/discussion/1573/where-to-look-for-accommodations-suggested-websites-here/p1
    Job Searching Tips

http://pinoyau.info/discussion/849/job-searching-tips/p1

Medical Laboratory Technician 311213 (SA State Sponsored 475) 21.8.10 IELTS/ 7.12.09 AIMS assessment/ 25.03.11 SA SS approved/ 27.03.11 VISA lodge DIAC/ 03.05.11 VISA grant/ 25.06.11 Initial Entry/17.10.11 Work/ 08.01.14 PR/ Citizen 30.08.16

“The relation between what we see and what we know is never settled. Each evening we see the sun set. We know that the earth is turning away from it. Yet the knowledge, the explanation, never quite fits the sight.”
    ― John Berger, Ways of Seeing

• gerrymontanogerrymontano Adelaide
    Tanong ko lng po ang 4G, malakas po ba ang signal? Ano po advise nyo, mobile broadband or yun wifi device? Datin po kmi ng misis ko sa 30th, magstay po kmi sa hope valley.

IELTS 13 Aug 2011: L-8, R-8.5, W-7, S-7; Vetasses Approved: QA Manager 11 May 2012; EOI Submission: 3 July 2012; SA Approved: 17 Aug 2012; DIAC Submission Acknowledgement Subclass 190: 04 Sep 2012; Medicals Done: 12 Sep 2012; CO Allocation: 08 Oct 2012; PCC (NBI & SG PCC) 31 Oct 2012; Visa Grant: 8 Nov 2012 (IED: 12 Sept 2013); Arrived: 30 Apr 2013.

• mochomocho Melbourne
    To give an idea to those who are about to arrive.
    there are booths in the airport like voda and other mobile carriers. you can get your prepaid sim there. They will register your new number with your passport details.

You can later on switch to cheaper mobile resellers like TPG, Vaya.
    You can retain same number since they support porting. I am using postpaid Vaya that piggybacks with Optus its a $17 plan with 1.5gb data and $650 worth of calls and texts (doesnt support international calls)

• mochomocho Melbourne
    If you are a frequent traveller of around 3km only, try to get the 2-section metrocard.
    you'll only be charged for $1.78 per tap as oppose to the $3.xx for the regular card.

the cards can be bought in newsagency(can be found in malls)/infocentre and also in adelaide railway station.
  • danyan2001usdanyan2001us Melbourne, Australia
    In Melbourne, buy a MYKI card and that's good for all public transport already (trains, trams, bus)..check it from so many outlets.....usually whole day travel will cost cost 6.50$ both zone 1 and 2

primary applicant- wife
    arrived melbourne- July 28, 2010