Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Advice for newbies/aspirants

ZionZion SingaporePosts: 29Member

Hi! We would like to seek practical advice and wisdom from those na nakagraduate na sa phase namin na aspirants palang ngayon. 😅
We are a young married couple po in our late twenties and wala pa po kaming kids. I & my husband are both CE and currently working here in SG. We're planning carefully before we start our PR application soon and we're hoping you could give us a piece of advice and enlightenment nadin. 😁
Thank you in advance po sa sasagot and here's the list of my questions po (sorry mahaba ata 😅)
1. Ano po pros and cons of migrating in our age of late twenties or early thirties?
'Coz my husband does not have the urgency to start our application siguro kasi wala pa kami anak and okay naman din work namin dito sa SG.
2. I'd read napo ung struggles ng iba on finding job there. And we've already managed our expectations nadin incase. So gusto ko lang po malaman if incase we'll be approved as PR meron po ba subsidy sa mga uni/colleges? We're willing to upskill and mag-aral ulit incase di talaga palarin makahanap ng work.
3. Not sure if this is a myth or what po hehe na a child born in AU from PR parents will be automatically become AU citizen? If not, ano po subsidies na available for the childrens of PR parents there?

Thanks again! God bless everyone!

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@Zion said:
    2. I'd read napo ung struggles ng iba on finding job there. And we've already managed our expectations nadin incase. So gusto ko lang po malaman if incase we'll be approved as PR meron po ba subsidy sa mga uni/colleges? We're willing to upskill and mag-aral ulit incase di talaga palarin makahanap ng work.
    3. Not sure if this is a myth or what po hehe na a child born in AU from PR parents will be automatically become AU citizen? If not, ano po subsidies na available for the childrens of PR parents there?

Hi, I'm just commenting based on a combination of research, own experience, and stories from friends.

1. The struggle of finding a job varies across different industries and people. In Australia, your personal and professional network are most effective in finding a job (it's preferred over cold emails/applications). As a new immigrant in Australia, it'll be difficult to find a job at first because employers are looking for local/Aussie experience. It's a catch-22 issue (can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job). Your overseas experience will be irrelevant to employers until you get at least one year Aussie work experience, so essentially you'll be starting from the bottom (you need to manage your expectations surrounding this). Once you do get that local experience, you will be much more valuable because your overseas experience will now count for something.

It will take time for you to land your first job relevant to your profession. I personally know someone who worked as a factory process worker for a year before he landed an architectural draftsperson role (he didn't have a job for six months before he landed that process worker job). "Blue-collar" jobs are decent and good-paying jobs, so be open to other opportunities. A friend's brother (he's a CE), arrived in Australia around March this year, and it took him maybe at least 2 months to find an engineering job. He said he's studying a free course (under JobTrainer I think) to upskill while he was job hunting, so that might be an opportunity to consider. Each state/territory offer different free courses, depending on the skill shortage of that state.

Additional info: I don't know how much development is planned for Melbourne, but Sydney has a few infrastructure projects going on (like the Aerotropolis), so there's definitely a demand for engineers as they develop and deliver that project.

1. According to the immigration website, if at the time of the child's birth, at least one parent is an Australian citizen or PR, the child will automatically get Australian citizenship.

Source: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/change-in-situation/had-a-baby

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• wallflower11wallflower11 Australia

@Zion said:
    Hi! We would like to seek practical advice and wisdom from those na nakagraduate na sa phase namin na aspirants palang ngayon. 😅
    We are a young married couple po in our late twenties and wala pa po kaming kids. I & my husband are both CE and currently working here in SG. We're planning carefully before we start our PR application soon and we're hoping you could give us a piece of advice and enlightenment nadin. 😁
    Thank you in advance po sa sasagot and here's the list of my questions po (sorry mahaba ata 😅)
    1. Ano po pros and cons of migrating in our age of late twenties or early thirties?
    'Coz my husband does not have the urgency to start our application siguro kasi wala pa kami anak and okay naman din work namin dito sa SG.

Hello! I'm also here in SG and is still waiting for my PR Grant. Sa tingin ko the question you have to ask yourself is "ano bang goal namin ng husband ko?".

1. Advantage yung age niyo para mag-decide to migrate in AU. Compared sa SG, unless PR ka, dahil lang sa work natin kaya tayo may right to live/work dito. Problem that would be solved if you get PR status in AU. You can consider SG pero I think aware ka din na super hirap makuha yung status na yun ngayon.

2. Sa mga nabasa ko sa ibang members dito at sa ibang forum, yes mahirap pero hindi imposible makahanap. Be ready to take casual job/s in the beginning and then use that opportunity to learn new skills while looking for that job that you really want. Kaya natin 'to, not saying na pareho ang SG at AU, pero kung nakahanap tayo ng job dito, may chance tayo makahanap din ng job doon. Dapat positive!

3. If you are a PR then yes your child will get AU citizenship.

PS.

Kung wala naman kayo plan bumalik sa ating mahal na bansa ever/anytime soon, go for AU! <3

Capuccino_2017

312111 - Architectural Draftsperson

TAS 489
    489 Visa Grant:October 2019

NSW 190
    190 Visa Grant: August 2022

Big Move: January 1, 2022

• ZionZion Singapore

@athelene said:

@Zion said:

Hi, I'm just commenting based on a combination of research, own experience, and stories from friends.

1. The struggle of finding a job varies across different industries and people. In Australia, your personal and professional network are most effective in finding a job (it's preferred over cold emails/applications). As a new immigrant in Australia, it'll be difficult to find a job at first because employers are looking for local/Aussie experience. It's a catch-22 issue (can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job). Your overseas experience will be irrelevant to employers until you get at least one year Aussie work experience, so essentially you'll be starting from the bottom (you need to manage your expectations surrounding this). Once you do get that local experience, you will be much more valuable because your overseas experience will now count for something.

It will take time for you to land your first job relevant to your profession. I personally know someone who worked as a factory process worker for a year before he landed an architectural draftsperson role (he didn't have a job for six months before he landed that process worker job). "Blue-collar" jobs are decent and good-paying jobs, so be open to other opportunities. A friend's brother (he's a CE), arrived in Australia around March this year, and it took him maybe at least 2 months to find an engineering job. He said he's studying a free course (under JobTrainer I think) to upskill while he was job hunting, so that might be an opportunity to consider. Each state/territory offer different free courses, depending on the skill shortage of that state.

Additional info: I don't know how much development is planned for Melbourne, but Sydney has a few infrastructure projects going on (like the Aerotropolis), so there's definitely a demand for engineers as they develop and deliver that project.

1. According to the immigration website, if at the time of the child's birth, at least one parent is an Australian citizen or PR, the child will automatically get Australian citizenship.

Source: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/change-in-situation/had-a-baby

Thank you po sa info! The more that we need to seriously managed our expectation ngayon palang and to save more din.

Sorry additional question lang po, how about po sa subsidy for the child, covered din po ba ung childcare like my certain amount less po from the govt?

Thanks again! 😊

• ZionZion Singapore

@wallflower11 said:

@Zion said:

Hello! I'm also here in SG and is still waiting for my PR Grant. Sa tingin ko the question you have to ask yourself is "ano bang goal namin ng husband ko?".

1. Advantage yung age niyo para mag-decide to migrate in AU. Compared sa SG, unless PR ka, dahil lang sa work natin kaya tayo may right to live/work dito. Problem that would be solved if you get PR status in AU. You can consider SG pero I think aware ka din na super hirap makuha yung status na yun ngayon.

2. Sa mga nabasa ko sa ibang members dito at sa ibang forum, yes mahirap pero hindi imposible makahanap. Be ready to take casual job/s in the beginning and then use that opportunity to learn new skills while looking for that job that you really want. Kaya natin 'to, not saying na pareho ang SG at AU, pero kung nakahanap tayo ng job dito, may chance tayo makahanap din ng job doon. Dapat positive!

3. If you are a PR then yes your child will get AU citizenship.

PS.

Kung wala naman kayo plan bumalik sa ating mahal na bansa ever/anytime soon, go for AU! <3

Hi! Yes that true po, be positive padin talaga while setting up rightly our expectations.

Anyway, Spass holder lang po kami dito sa SG kaya po we're really planning for long term goal din talaga. Most esp next to impossible po na maging PR dito sa panahon ngayon hehe.

Thanks po ulit!

• magueromaguero Adelaide

@Zion

1) You can get the maximum points for age if you are between 25-32, so that's something to consider since you need as much points as you can get. Another thing to consider is that Australia's immigration rules keep changing & it is also becoming more competitive. I think it's best to ensure you understand the situation for your occupation & apply as soon as possible rather than delaying your plans only to find out later on that your chances of being invited have gone down due to unexpected changes.

2) I think landing a job here is a mix of several factors such as where you will be based, timing of your arrival, occupation, your skills & work experience, how you present yourself, how long you can afford to not have a job & how flexible you are. The job hunting experience is different for everyone. Some people's first job is aligned with their nominated occupation while others have to get a different job first. I think it's important to do research on the opportunities for your occupation in the state where you're moving to, finding out what the basic requirements for employment are & then coming up with a strategy. You should also be willing to apply for jobs in your field that are at a lower level than what you are in now. One of the tips that I got in this forum which worked for me was to get a volunteer job that was in line with my occupation. I worked 9am-5pm 2 days a week at that volunteer job for almost 2 months, which gave me local experience. During my interview for my first (and current) job, I was asked about my role at my volunteer job. You also have to be prepared for rejections. I must've applied for over 6 dozen jobs & only got interviewed by 4 employers. So you can imagine the number of rejection letters I received. If your finances will allow you to be unemployed for several months after arrival, that will take some of the pressure off & you will be able to focus on job hunting for your preferred job for a few months. I recall reading about a CE here in the forum who got a job with an infrastructure project about 2 or 3 months after arrival, but he applied for a lot of jobs before getting an offer & the job required him to move to a regional area, which he did.

• engineer20engineer20 Sydney

@Zion depende talaga sa longterm plan nyo mag-asawa. from SG din kami ng wife ko at may ok na work pero after 10 years working din and after several time na nagapply kami ng SGPR di kami pinalad hehe. Ang nagpabago ng isip namin na maghanap ng alternative place to migrate dahil ayaw namin bumalik sa pinas ay nung nagkaanak na kami. Swerte kasi nung time na yun madali pa kumuha ng dependant pass at nakakuha din kami ng helper para magalaga ng bata. Pero dahil sa mga changes sa laws sa SG, mahihirapan na kami kumuha ng DP kung magkakanak pa kami ulit at di kami makakabili ng bahay sa SG unless maging PR kami or tumama sa toto hehe.

Just think about this - kung may plan kayo magkaanak, ok lang b na hindi nyo siya kasama sa SG? Gusto nyo ba na laging nakatira sa flat na may kashare lagi? Ano ang gagawin nyo pag di na narenew ang passes nyo at wala ng makuhang bagong work?

So, sa case namin, inayos namin ang PR namin tapos nagipon bago nagmoved permanently sa AU. sakto din na pagbalik namin dito ay buntis na si misis with our second child so australian na siya nung pinanganak. Mas mura din dito magbuntis kesa sa SG na maraming babayaran mula check ups hanggang delivery.

Kaya pagisipan nyo ng mabuti at pagplanuhan na. Masarap sana sa SG kasi malapit sa pinas, sobrang safe, madali ang public transport at masarap/mura kumain sa labas. Nasa prime kayo for PR application dito, point wise at financially dahil pareho kayo sa SG nagwowork. You and your husband must understand that PR application in AU now is not as easy as it was before (changes made since 2017/18 made it difficult to get invited), kaya the best time to apply is now.

Nasa inyo pa rin ang pagpili ng kapalaran, ito ay pawang opinyon lamang hehe.

Capuccino_2017

29May2015: Submitted Online Application to VETASSESS (312112 Building Associate)
    02Jun2015: Lodged Date at VETASSESS
    28Aug2015: VETASSESS Assessment Completed (312112 Building Associate) - POSITIVE
    17Oct2015: PTE-A taken at SG
    19Oct2015: PTE-A Result: L-83, R-90, S-76, W-90 OAS-87
    19Oct2015: Submitted EOI Visa 190 (65 points plus SS 5 points if granted)
    19Oct2015: Submitted VIC SS Online Application Visa 190
    20Oct2015: VIC acknowledged SS application and gave Reference Number
    02Nov2015: VIC SS Application Rejected
    05Nov2015: Submitted Online Reassessment to VETASSESS (312212 Civil Engineering Technician) 08Feb2016: VETASSESS Outcome POSITIVE
    07Nov2015: Updated EOI to select NSW (312112)
    18Dec2015: Received NSW SS Invitation Stream 2
    21Dec2015: Lodged NSW SS Application
    12Jan2016: NSW SS Approved / Visa 190 ITA Received
    29Jan2016: SG PCC (Me) / Medical (Me, Wife and Kid)
    01Feb2016: Medicals Cleared
    05Feb2016: Lodged Visa 190
    18Feb2016: NBI Clearance Applied (Me and Wife) - HIT
    29Feb2016: SG PCC (Wife)
    03Mar2016: Collected and Uploaded NBI Clearance
    04Mar2016: Direct Grant
    07May2016: Initial Entry (Sydney)
    16Jul2017: Big Move
    Oct2020: Lodged Citizenship Application
    May2021: Citizenship Interview and Test
    TBA: Citizenship Ceremony

• ZionZion Singapore

@maguero said:
    @Zion

1) You can get the maximum points for age if you are between 25-32, so that's something to consider since you need as much points as you can get. Another thing to consider is that Australia's immigration rules keep changing & it is also becoming more competitive. I think it's best to ensure you understand the situation for your occupation & apply as soon as possible rather than delaying your plans only to find out later on that your chances of being invited have gone down due to unexpected changes.

2) I think landing a job here is a mix of several factors such as where you will be based, timing of your arrival, occupation, your skills & work experience, how you present yourself, how long you can afford to not have a job & how flexible you are. The job hunting experience is different for everyone. Some people's first job is aligned with their nominated occupation while others have to get a different job first. I think it's important to do research on the opportunities for your occupation in the state where you're moving to, finding out what the basic requirements for employment are & then coming up with a strategy. You should also be willing to apply for jobs in your field that are at a lower level than what you are in now. One of the tips that I got in this forum which worked for me was to get a volunteer job that was in line with my occupation. I worked 9am-5pm 2 days a week at that volunteer job for almost 2 months, which gave me local experience. During my interview for my first (and current) job, I was asked about my role at my volunteer job. You also have to be prepared for rejections. I must've applied for over 6 dozen jobs & only got interviewed by 4 employers. So you can imagine the number of rejection letters I received. If your finances will allow you to be unemployed for several months after arrival, that will take some of the pressure off & you will be able to focus on job hunting for your preferred job for a few months. I recall reading about a CE here in the forum who got a job with an infrastructure project about 2 or 3 months after arrival, but he applied for a lot of jobs before getting an offer & the job required him to move to a regional area, which he did.

Thank you for sharing your experience po! Noted po sa volunteer jobs thing hehe
    And un talagang willingness to accept works lower than our current work e pinaka critical na factor po talaga. Should be emotionally, spiritually and financially ready.

Salamat po sa pagsagot! Godbless po!

• ZionZion Singapore

@engineer20 said:
    @Zion depende talaga sa longterm plan nyo mag-asawa. from SG din kami ng wife ko at may ok na work pero after 10 years working din and after several time na nagapply kami ng SGPR di kami pinalad hehe. Ang nagpabago ng isip namin na maghanap ng alternative place to migrate dahil ayaw namin bumalik sa pinas ay nung nagkaanak na kami. Swerte kasi nung time na yun madali pa kumuha ng dependant pass at nakakuha din kami ng helper para magalaga ng bata. Pero dahil sa mga changes sa laws sa SG, mahihirapan na kami kumuha ng DP kung magkakanak pa kami ulit at di kami makakabili ng bahay sa SG unless maging PR kami or tumama sa toto hehe.

Just think about this - kung may plan kayo magkaanak, ok lang b na hindi nyo siya kasama sa SG? Gusto nyo ba na laging nakatira sa flat na may kashare lagi? Ano ang gagawin nyo pag di na narenew ang passes nyo at wala ng makuhang bagong work?

So, sa case namin, inayos namin ang PR namin tapos nagipon bago nagmoved permanently sa AU. sakto din na pagbalik namin dito ay buntis na si misis with our second child so australian na siya nung pinanganak. Mas mura din dito magbuntis kesa sa SG na maraming babayaran mula check ups hanggang delivery.

Kaya pagisipan nyo ng mabuti at pagplanuhan na. Masarap sana sa SG kasi malapit sa pinas, sobrang safe, madali ang public transport at masarap/mura kumain sa labas. Nasa prime kayo for PR application dito, point wise at financially dahil pareho kayo sa SG nagwowork. You and your husband must understand that PR application in AU now is not as easy as it was before (changes made since 2017/18 made it difficult to get invited), kaya the best time to apply is now.

Nasa inyo pa rin ang pagpili ng kapalaran, ito ay pawang opinyon lamang hehe.

Hi po! Exactly ang worries ko nadin po in future is di ko po kayang maging LDR sa baby and sa husband ko. Ung changes po sa salary requirements para makuha ung DP is actually hindi po pasok sa salary namin ngayon and even in 2-3 years time e hindi padin haha

Tama po kayo wala talaga security dito sa SG in terms of work lalo sa mga spass like us and hindi talaga pang-family din.

Ung sa PR application opo tama po kayo pabago2 talaga. We never know in years to come di na ganun ka in demand or mas hihigpit pa reqmts nila sa profession namin. So as much as possible po gusto ko din talaga igrab ung chance na habang nasa PMSOL pa ang Civil Engineers.

Thank you po ulit sa sharing! I appreciate you all po! Godbless!

• wizardofOzwizardofOz Brisbane

@Zion said:

1. I think yung Age na late 20s to early 30s ang best age bracket to migrate... At that age mature na ang individual in all aspects.... way of thinking sa buhay, sa professionalism, and dealing failures, etc etc....
    2. As far as I know, kung magkano binabayad ng 'local' student (i.e. you won't be paying the fees like international students).... however, you won't be qualified to take out student loans.. for citizens lang sya... And yes, manage your expectations... worst comes to worst you will be reduced to as if walang saysay lahat ng knowledge and experiences na na-acquire mo over the years... but, I think normal naman yun for any migrant, you just have to really work hard and prove yourself. Pero meron naman swerte agad, pagdating dito, nakakuha agad ng magandang work, within 2-3 years may bahay na... so sapalaran talaga
    3. If you're a PR, yes any child born here will get Australian citizenship

Nominated Occupation: Plant or Production Engineer (ANZSCO 233513)

03/23/13: IELTS GT Exam (British Council)
    04/05/13: IELTS Results L:7.0/R:7.5/W:7.5/S:8.5 OBS: 7.5
    makalipas ang isang taon....
    04/20/14: CDR Application sent to EA
    07/09/14: EA started reviewing my CDR
    08/08/14: EA Assessment Positive Results (Thank you LORD!!!)
    09/16/14: Requested EA for a Duplicate Letter (Original Outcome Letter lost during mail delivery to PH)
    09/21/14: Duplicate Assessment Letter received (Finally!!)
    09/21/14: EOI Lodged (70 pts)
    09/22/14: Invited to lodge Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) visa
    09/23/14: Obtained Overseas PCC
    09/29/14: Obtained NBI Clearance
    10/12/14: Lodged application - Visa Subclass 189
    10/12/14: Uploaded docs
    10/20/14: Medicals Done
    12/06/14: Direct Grant! To GOD Be the Glory!
    12/13/14: Completed Initial Entry - Sydney