Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Engineering

Hello po, I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering but I would like to pursue my career in Australia. Kung mag-enroll po ako ng Mining Engineering in Australia, may subjects po ba na macacarry from Ph?

Comments

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@ennail said:
    Hello po, I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering but I would like to pursue my career in Australia. Kung mag-enroll po ako ng Mining Engineering in Australia, may subjects po ba na macacarry from Ph?

You will have to check the curriculum for the Mining Engineering degree you want if there are relevant or equivalent subjects. Most universities will have the details of the curriculum on the website/online handbook. No one in this forum can definitively tell you whether they will get credited. Ultimately, it will be the university/school that will have a say on which units can be credited. Most Australian degrees do not have the general subjects like English, Literature, Theology, etc. so they will not be credited. However, if there are general engineering subjects like engineering mechanics, engineering surveying, engineering physics, etc., you could potentially get them credited before you start the program. More often than not, the school cannot confirm which ones can be credited unless you actually apply for admission and request for RPL (recognition of prior learning) or credit transfer---there is a difference between the two, but you need to check with the school how they define it.

My advice would be to first contact the university where you graduated with your Chem Eng degree, and ask for a copy of the syllabus or prospectus or course description for all the subjects that seem equivalent to the subjects in the Mining Eng degree. Presenting the school with just your transcript (which only shows the name of the subject and your grade) will not be helpful for the Australian university when assessing credit transfer or RPL, hence my recommendation for getting the course desc/prospectus/syllabus. If you can show the Australian university that you have completed a substantially similar unit, your likelihood of getting a credit transfer for those subjects may increase.

In my experience, I have been able to get a credit waiver for a core subject for the degree I was taking in Australia. The subject offered here had the exact same name and topic as the one I had studied in Taiwan, so I presented a detailed syllabus and transcript to the program director, and I was able to swap out that core subject for an elective (so there was no reduction on credit load). If you can get some credits transferred, the length of study could be reduced by a lot.

Also, there's usually a limit/maximum on how many credits that can be transferred over (generally up to 50% of the credits required to complete the program). For example, if the Mining Engineering degree is a bachelor's degree that is 3 years long or requires 144 credits to complete (24 credits per semester x 6 semesters), you can only get credit transfer for 72 credits maximum. So you will need to study at that university/school for at least 1.5 years to complete the degree.

mrs_hopefulennail

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• ennailennail Posts: 2Member

Thank you for you reply, Ma'am.

• lyruuhlyruuh Posts: 2Member

How do I process my papers po if ever po na qualified ako sa university sa Australia? So obviously po need ko po ng Student Visa diba po?

• lyruuhlyruuh Posts: 2Member

@athelene said:

@ennail said:

You will have to check the curriculum for the Mining Engineering degree you want if there are relevant or equivalent subjects. Most universities will have the details of the curriculum on the website/online handbook. No one in this forum can definitively tell you whether they will get credited. Ultimately, it will be the university/school that will have a say on which units can be credited. Most Australian degrees do not have the general subjects like English, Literature, Theology, etc. so they will not be credited. However, if there are general engineering subjects like engineering mechanics, engineering surveying, engineering physics, etc., you could potentially get them credited before you start the program. More often than not, the school cannot confirm which ones can be credited unless you actually apply for admission and request for RPL (recognition of prior learning) or credit transfer---there is a difference between the two, but you need to check with the school how they define it.

My advice would be to first contact the university where you graduated with your Chem Eng degree, and ask for a copy of the syllabus or prospectus or course description for all the subjects that seem equivalent to the subjects in the Mining Eng degree. Presenting the school with just your transcript (which only shows the name of the subject and your grade) will not be helpful for the Australian university when assessing credit transfer or RPL, hence my recommendation for getting the course desc/prospectus/syllabus. If you can show the Australian university that you have completed a substantially similar unit, your likelihood of getting a credit transfer for those subjects may increase.

In my experience, I have been able to get a credit waiver for a core subject for the degree I was taking in Australia. The subject offered here had the exact same name and topic as the one I had studied in Taiwan, so I presented a detailed syllabus and transcript to the program director, and I was able to swap out that core subject for an elective (so there was no reduction on credit load). If you can get some credits transferred, the length of study could be reduced by a lot.

Also, there's usually a limit/maximum on how many credits that can be transferred over (generally up to 50% of the credits required to complete the program). For example, if the Mining Engineering degree is a bachelor's degree that is 3 years long or requires 144 credits to complete (24 credits per semester x 6 semesters), you can only get credit transfer for 72 credits maximum. So you will need to study at that university/school for at least 1.5 years to complete the degree.

How do I process my papers po if ever po na qualified ako sa university sa Australia? So obviously po need ko po ng Student Visa diba po?

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited November 2021

@lyruuh said:

If you are coming to Australia to study and you are not an Australian citizen or PR, you need to apply for a student visa. All the information about the student visa application requirements are on the Home Affairs website: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500

You can apply for a course/program by yourself (DIY) or through an education agent (like IDP, AUG, etc. whose services are for free). Which one you choose depends on your available time, because going with the DIY route means you need to do your due diligence and research about all the procedure and documents by yourself. With education agents, they can give guidance about the process, and they can help you lodge the application to the school/university on your behalf. What I'm not sure is whether they can also help you lodge your student visa application.

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam