Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Student Visa 2021 Intake

Comments

• olewolew Posts: 64Member

oh thank you very much!! @athelene . i assume you're doing fulltime phd po.

can you still work on the side? like for someone with fulltime work, will you advise them do take up phd?

how many years to finish a phd in AU po? Thanks ulet

• atheleneathelene Brisbane
    edited May 2021

@olew said:
    oh thank you very much!! @athelene . i assume you're doing fulltime phd po.

can you still work on the side? like for someone with fulltime work, will you advise them do take up phd?

how many years to finish a phd in AU po? Thanks ulet

Yes, international students can only study PhD full-time. Pwede naman magwork on the side, just need to abide by the work restrictions designated by DHA (40 hours per fortnight).

I have spoken to a Aussie citizen who attempted to do full-time PhD and full-time work at the same time, he ended up leaving the PhD because it was a lot of work. As I'm assuming you'll be studying as an international student, you can only do the PhD full-time, and work part-time.

The typical time it takes to complete a PhD is 3-4 years. Most PhD scholarships are for 3 years only, with a possible 6-month extension (depending on circumstances that are out of your control), so you ideally have to finish before the scholarship runs out (or you'll be paying hefty tuition fees).

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

Hello dito! Mid-2022 pa daw ang gradual opening ng Australia for International Students. Kaya nio pa po ba mag-antay? Nagpplano na po ko mag-apply sa Canada. 😔

• xiaoxuexiaoxue Dubai

@athelene said:

Pwede naman magwork on the side, just need to abide by the work restrictions designated by DHA (40 hours per fortnight).

I thought you can work unrestricted hours if:
    you are studying a masters by research or a doctorate degree

Visa condition 8105

@xiaoxue said:

I thought you can work unrestricted hours if:
    you are studying a masters by research or a doctorate degree

Visa condition 8105

That's what I thought too, but it looks like DHA has the final say about this. I wasn't sure if I misinterpreted my visa conditions (that I can work without restrictions), but I realized a research degree requires a lot of study hours, so I actually don't have the energy to work beyond the 20 hours anyway.

xiaoxue

• MaureenJoyMaureenJoy Posts: 3Member

Any recommendation for a trustworthy agent who can assist in requesting a travel exemption due to Compelling or Compassionate Reasons?

• enzoliraenzolira Posts: 7Member

@shewolf30 said:
    Anyone who plans to study and/or will pursue their studies on 2021?

Given the current situation and the high probability that borders will still be closed early next year, is distance learning worth it?

The only reason that we’re considering temporary online study is to increase our points for PR.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Good day po! I am looking for discussions here on accepted vaccine brands from outside Australia. We are in the PH now and haven't really started our application dahil hindi pa open ang border for international students. We are just concerned about the possibility of not being able to enter Australia dahil lang sa vaccine brand. Per monitoring, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Moderna pa lang ang approved ng Australian Government. In the PH we might get Sinovac jabs. Will this bring about challenges concerning our application? Hopefully may makasagot ng enquiry ko. Thank you very much!

• IamTimIamTim Singapore

Sana magtuloy tuloy na :)

Ed510Capuccino_2017

12-Feb: Vetassess Skills Assessment (fast track)
    04-Mar: Received positive skills assessment
    20-Mar: English Language test - L:90 | R:76 | S:90 | W:82 - Proficient
    31-Mar: Expression of Interest Visa 189

22-Aug: Received Invitation to Apply for Visa 189
    06-Sep: Singapore Police Clearance E-appeal application (Main & Partner)
    12-Sep: Lodge Visa 189
    12-Sep: Singapore Police Clearance E-appeal approved (Main & Partner)
    20-Sep: Singapore Police Clearance submitted (Main & Partner)
    23-Sep: Medical at SATA AMK (Main) - Cleared
    23-Sep: Philippine Police Clearance submitted (Partner)
    01-Oct: Medical at NHS Makati (Partner) - for Sputum Test/Culture & Repeat X-RAY
    03-Oct: Medical at NHS Makati (Child, IGRA test not available on weekends > NHS makati) - Cleared

07-Jan: Case Officer Contact No.1 - S56 (Follow-Up on Medical & Police Clearance)
    12-Jan: Medical at SLEC (Partner) - Cleared
    09-Feb: Case Officer Contact No.2 - S56 (Signing of Health Undertaking)
    16-Mar: Visa 189 Grant

• gandaragandara Philippines

Hello! i hope everyone is ok here kahit tinamaan tayo ng pandemic... Itatanong ko lang if ok na ba sa ngayon magapply ng student visa kahit walang makapagsabi pa if magoopen na ang border ng Australia... Kasi parang ang hirap ng distance learning and besides malaking bagay pa din yung mkakawork sana doon para masustain yung financial na magagastos sa studies..any advise po kung anu ang magandang gawin if magapply na ng student visa or antayin muna na magopen ang border bago magapply ng student visa...thanks in advance.

@gandara said:
    Hello! i hope everyone is ok here kahit tinamaan tayo ng pandemic... Itatanong ko lang if ok na ba sa ngayon magapply ng student visa kahit walang makapagsabi pa if magoopen na ang border ng Australia... Kasi parang ang hirap ng distance learning and besides malaking bagay pa din yung mkakawork sana doon para masustain yung financial na magagastos sa studies..any advise po kung anu ang magandang gawin if magapply na ng student visa or antayin muna na magopen ang border bago magapply ng student visa...thanks in advance.

It depends on what you plan to study. Studying at university is going to cost you a lot more money, so you do need to have the tuition fees on hand to pay for it especially since you're offshore and cannot earn as much money as compared to being onshore. For VET, it's generally half the cost of uni, so I think mas affordable sya, but then again, there is that issue of whether you have enough savings to pay the fee. The only good thing of being offshore is that you're not paying cost of living in Australia (which is quite high), so your only expense is your tuition fees. You could be paying AUD 10-15k a year for tuition fees (if VET), and another AUD 20k just for living expenses. The money you could earn on a regular semester/term is usually sufficient to cover living costs, but not your fees. The only time you can save up for those fees is working full time during scheduled breaks (summer or winter vacations). Having said that, whether you're onshore or offshore, it's ideal to already have adequate savings to cover some of your fees before studying in Australia (at least 2 semesters/terms) so you have ample time to save for the succeeding semesters/terms. The downside of being offshore is the lack of in-person connection with your classmates and teachers, which I think are very important for the learning process.

The distance learning experience is different for each person, as well as for different programs. It may be easier for some programs because you can just be studying on your own, watching lectures, and take exams, whereas for other programs that are mostly group/teamwork focused, you need to really coordinate well with your group (esp regarding meetings) to be able to deliver quality work. I've experience mostly distance learning on my final semester in Australia (I was onshore). It was very difficult at first, but you'll get used to it eventually. The quality of education didn't deteriorate as much, but the social connection was greatly reduced. Iba pa rin yung experience na makilala mo yung mga classmates mo in person.

With the pandemic still not handled well in Australia, I think that timeline of opening international borders will just continue to get pushed back (or until 80% of people are vaccinated). In my opinion, if you are in a position to continue working (like a full-time job) as you save up for tuition fees, do so until the border opens and you are more financially ready to proceed with studying in Australia. I am suggesting this path because it will be less stress for you (hindi mo na iisipin saan hahagilap ng pang-tuition pagdating mo dito). There is also no assurance of getting work or a visa in Australia if you start your studies now (the projections for opening of borders next year are just assumptions).

• gandaragandara Philippines

@athelene thank you for the inputs... I hope that the borders of Australia will open soon for the international students like in Canada or other countries...

• australiandreamsaustraliandreams Posts: 39Member

Hi. I am a licensed engineer here in PH. I am planning to take a student visa and enroll in Advanced Diploma in Engineering. Medyo tight po ang budget so I have decided to pursue it instead of masters degree. Ang question ko po ay:

1. Am I Eligible to enroll despite already having BS degree in engineering?
    2. Will I be eligible to apply in Visa 485 after the completion of my studies?

Thank you very much!

@australiandreams said:
    Hi. I am a licensed engineer here in PH. I am planning to take a student visa and enroll in Advanced Diploma in Engineering. Medyo tight po ang budget so I have decided to pursue it instead of masters degree. Ang question ko po ay:

1. Am I Eligible to enroll despite already having BS degree in engineering?
    2. Will I be eligible to apply in Visa 485 after the completion of my studies?

Thank you very much!

1. Hi, do you already have work experience in engineering? I think some schools may allow you for admission, but the key concern would be whether you will be approved for a visa on the GTE requirement. When applying for a student visa, you have to convince the immigration officer that you're a genuine student, and that studying in Australia makes better sense than studying in the home country.

An Advanced Diploma is a Level 6 in the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), whereas a Bachelor Degree is Level 7. If you will be studying the exact same topic, it doesn't make sense to study a diploma, when a bachelor degree would've covered pretty much the same things. However, if you are looking specialize in something or looking to move to a different kind of engineering, you can potentially justify in your GTE that you're studying a diploma because you're shifting to another kind of engineering (maybe shifting from structural engineering to mechanical engineeering).

I have already written a guideline for writing a GTE here: https://pinoyau.info/discussion/comment/289072#Comment_289072

1. Is the occupation associated with what you're looking to study on the skilled occupation list? If so, you may be eligible for 485 visa Graduate Work Stream (can stay up to 18 months), but you may need to get a skill assessment done in order to apply for that. The 485 visa Post-Study Work Stream is only available for those who completed a bachelor degree or higher in Australia.

485 Graduate Work Stream
    485 Post-Study Work Stream

• australiandreamsaustraliandreams Posts: 39Member

Hi, Athelene!

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I already have working experience for four years. I also have MBA as well so I’m not sure if they will accept my student visa for Advanced Diploma. I was just trying to explore cheaper option for student visa (and eventually PR).

edited August 2021

@australiandreams said:
    Hi, Athelene!

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I already have working experience for four years. I also have MBA as well so I’m not sure if they will accept my student visa for Advanced Diploma. I was just trying to explore cheaper option for student visa (and eventually PR).

Ah I see. Then you'd have to consider your pathway more, as you already have an MBA and 4 years of work experience. Maybe you can consult with a migration agent, who is better qualified to advise you? AFAIK, a business degree/MBA won't give you a PR pathway, maybe unless you're an experienced management consultant or executive. Since you're a licensed engineer anyway, won't you consider applying directly for skilled migration? Engineers are very much in demand due to the numerous infrastructure projects happening in the next few years. Although the border is closed at the moment, I think it might be better to have an EOI lodged or something? Unless desidido ka talaga mag-aral hehehe.

• snagitsnagit Posts: 9Member

Hi everyone, I been silently reading this thread and trying to pick-up some information from the discussion. I hope somebody from the group can advise/give inputs as I need them before I take the risk. Maybe you have read some of my posts from the other topics which haven't been answered yet and so I’m lurking here. Anyways, I'm 42 yrs. old and an experienced accountant here in PH. I know my chances of being selected in the gsm is quite low due to age factor, thus I am thinking of enrolling in AU. I am not sure as well if I will be accepted. I am not keen in enrolling for masters due to financial constraint but maybe a 1 year advance diploma related to accounting. I know this is not qualified for bridging/post graduate visa since it did not satisfy the 2 year education requirement. My questions would be:

1. Can I still proceed to create an EOI and apply for visa 190/491 particularly SA even if I hold a SV? Not sure though on the SV restrictions aside from the 20hr/week part time job.
    2. Will I be considered an onshore applicant by this time? Right now, they are only processing onshore applicants due to covid.
    3. What are my other options?

I am hoping for the best with a lot of prayers and luck that before my SV expires, I will be able to find an employer who is willing to sponsor me. I’ve read that Accountant is on the first 3 occupations that is on the PMSOL. Quite risky but willing to take the risk. I would love to hear your advice/comments/suggestions. Thank you and stay safe!

• agentKamsagentKams Toowoomba

@snagit said:
    Hi everyone, I been silently reading this thread and trying to pick-up some information from the discussion. I hope somebody from the group can advise/give inputs as I need them before I take the risk. Maybe you have read some of my posts from the other topics which haven't been answered yet and so I’m lurking here. Anyways, I'm 42 yrs. old and an experienced accountant here in PH. I know my chances of being selected in the gsm is quite low due to age factor, thus I am thinking of enrolling in AU. I am not sure as well if I will be accepted. I am not keen in enrolling for masters due to financial constraint but maybe a 1 year advance diploma related to accounting. I know this is not qualified for bridging/post graduate visa since it did not satisfy the 2 year education requirement. My questions would be:

1. Can I still proceed to create an EOI and apply for visa 190/491 particularly SA even if I hold a SV? Not sure though on the SV restrictions aside from the 20hr/week part time job.
    2. Will I be considered an onshore applicant by this time? Right now, they are only processing onshore applicants due to covid.
    3. What are my other options?

I am hoping for the best with a lot of prayers and luck that before my SV expires, I will be able to find an employer who is willing to sponsor me. I’ve read that Accountant is on the first 3 occupations that is on the PMSOL. Quite risky but willing to take the risk. I would love to hear your advice/comments/suggestions. Thank you and stay safe!

Hi here's my 2 cents. If your an experienced accountant why can't you proceed to 189/190? What is your calculated points on your EOI? baka doable pa instead of doing the SV route, hindi lang naman sa age nagbase iyong points may iba pang factors. Also, iyong goal mo to do SV route which ultimately won't give you any points after prang nagrisk ka sa wala.

Base on experience, accountant din nominated occupation ko:
    1. I have created an EOI for 189/190 while on student visa, but due to high points requirement nagkaroon lang ako ng invite when I graduated from uni that was 2018.
    2. Onshore applicants are those inside australia with valid visa.

Observation ko lang with SV holders, laging nagput off sa mga employers is the 20 hr/week restriction.
    So you need to take that into consideration because time ang kalaban mo for your permanent visa application. All the best and hope you can plan wisely.

Timeline: Student Visa Subclass 573 (Masters)
    06 July 2015: Visa Grant
    April 2018: Uni Graduation

Timeline: Permanent Visa (189) Accountant 221111
    18 April 2018: ITA received - Visa 189
    04 May 2018 : Lodged Visa Application - Visa 189
    29 Aug 2018 - First CO Contact - PCC Qatar (partner)
    9 Jan 2019 - 2nd CO Contact - penal waiver
    18 Jan 2019 - Updated immiaccount with penal waiver
    29 Jan 2019 - Forwarded PCC to gsm.allocated email
    8 Feb 2019 - Visa Grant - Finally!!

Timeline: Citizenship
    July 2020: Application lodgment
    May 2021: Citizenship Exam
    Feb 2022: Oi! Oi! Oi! Aussie na din sa wakas!

@agentKams thank you so much for taking time to comment. I really appreciate it!

visa 189 – 75pts; visa 190 – 80pts; visa 491 – 90pts

I am disheartened that with this points, my chance of getting an invite is very slim esp for visa 189. For sure, there are applicants who have more points than I do and younger. My main purpose of going thru SV is to position myself in AU since they are not processing offshore applicants as at this time. I’m not sure if I’m making sense here. I am thinking that if I have a SV, I will be considered an onshore applicant. With your inputs, I am now thinking of applying for visa 190/491.

@snagit you are welcome. :)

Have you maximised all the points? English test, dependent points etc?
    Yes, very tight ang competition with 189. Before other applicants advice to make separate EOI for 189, 190 and 491 para daw hindi maoverlook, not sure if still applicable to do now.

@agentKams said:
    @snagit you are welcome. :)

Have you maximised all the points? English test, dependent points etc?
    Yes, very tight ang competition with 189. Before other applicants advice to make separate EOI for 189, 190 and 491 para daw hindi maoverlook, not sure if still applicable to do now.

@agentKams yes, its already the maximum pts given that my English test is superior. I am thinking of doing just that, making a separate EOI for those visas. I am hoping that invitation from SA is higher being that of a regional area. If all else fails, do you think SV route is still a bad decision?

@snagit very risky, to add up is the time you will spend without the assurance that you will make in it time. Are you in a specialised field of accounting? Check seek.com.au sa mga hiring position related sa accounting and gauge your expectation regarding employment. This will also help you seek those employment that can eventually help you with your PR journey.

@agentKams said:
    @snagit very risky, to add up is the time you will spend without the assurance that you will make in it time. Are you in a specialised field of accounting? Check seek.com.au sa mga hiring position related sa accounting and gauge your expectation regarding employment. This will also help you seek those employment that can eventually help you with your PR journey.

Thanks for your insights and recommendation. Will look into this and plan carefully. Hoping for the best on this quite late journey of mine. Stay safe!

• RodSherRodSher Dubai

@snagit - go for Canada, my friend who went there at the same time I've pursued my SV for Australia. They have come to a better decision while I'm still studying behind the computer screen. The AU government has no commitment on when they have to open their borders. I have noticed if the semester intakes are approaching, news about the opening of the borders is all over in the media but nothing happens.

@RodSher said:
    @snagit - go for Canada, my friend who went there at the same time I've pursued my SV for Australia. They have come to a better decision while I'm still studying behind the computer screen. The AU government has no commitment on when they have to open their borders. I have noticed if the semester intakes are approaching, news about the opening of the borders is all over in the media but nothing happens.

@RodSher Thanks for sharing. I am also doing my research for canada if all else fail. I am thinking of doing the SV route for CA and the skilled migration for AU all at the same time. I know its costly, but then i'm too late to the party, thus i'm taking the risk. What do you think?

• yojenitsujyojenitsuj Posts: 9Member

hello! do you know any educational agency that offers free processing or paid but not that expensive processing fee for student visa? if you know freelance education agent also that can help me with student visa processing that doesnt charge too much that would be okay too. thank you in advance.

• Pandabelle0405Pandabelle0405 Singapore

@enzolira hi po my nkasagot n po ba ng post nio po about vaccine brand plan to move aussie on may 2022 kaya lng sinovac un jabs namen ng husband ko tnx po

May isa pa po ako question pwede po ba mag apply ng pr habang nka student visa at ongoing un pag aaral salamat po sa sasagot 😊

edited October 2021

@Pandabelle0405 this might help: https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/tga-advice-recognition-covid-19-vaccines-not-registered-australia-used-internationally.

And yes pwede ka magapply ng PR while on student visa as long as you abide by your student visa conditions.

@agentKams thank u po sa reply

• MessyMessy Posts: 2Member

Hello, I have a problem with my visa application, I need bank statement which is I don't have enough funds... I just found this FB page since ito ung may pinakamaliit na interest in lending money, https://www.facebook.com/Showmoneystudytourmigrate
    Since I don't have relative that can support me enough.. okay lang kaya to? Kaso they willing to lend money pero newly account opening kasi doon nila ilalagay ung money.