Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

Australia Adulting 101

era222era222 PhilippinesPosts: 779Member
edited March 2023 in Working and skilled visas

Hi, I'm starting na my big-move research so I won't feel so overwhelmed. There's a lot info about making the move itself, but curious to know what one can do to settle/work/live responsibly in Australia (besides the obvious na obey rules, both written and unspoken, and adapt to the culture). I guess these are things you learn from experience pero would be nice to know.

Things like taxes, which I read you have to file yourself, unlike the Philippines where employers file it for you tama ba? Any important IDs to procure? I know Medicare, TFN, and Centrelink (if eligible) are important.

Saw this site kaso it looks outdated: https://australia101.com/. Hope someone can share any insight about these and other things na rin!

212415 - Technical Writer | Offshore, PH | With agent | Age: 30 | English: 20 | Work: 0 | Qualification: 15 | Single: 10 | NAATI: 5 | Total: 80+5 for SC190 | Granted 190 NSW

December 5: Started consulting with agents

March 5: Hiatus

February 28: Resumed my application
June 16: PTE - Started studying on my own (Used Pearson mock tests and APEUni)
June 21: PTE - Booked my exam
June 23: VETASSESS - Submitted my application
June 24: VETASSESS - Status "Lodged"
August 26: PTE - Exam at Trident Makati
August 30: PTE - Results: SUPERIOR (LRSW 90) - Read my study/exam tips
September 14: NAATI CCL - Booked my exam
November 26: NAATI CCL - Exam
November 30: VETASSESS - Requested for updated reference letter
December 7: VETASSESS - Submitted updated reference letter
December 16: VETASSESS - Result - POSITIVE ASSESSMENT!
December 22: NAATI CCL - Results - Passed (77.5/90) - Just took the CCL cram course
December 23: EOI - Lodged 190 for VIC and NSW

January 6: Submitted petition for correction of birth certificate (just in case)
January 10: STATE NOM - Received pre-invite from NSW for 190 TYL / Discontinued VIC ROI
January 23: STATE NOM - Submitted nomination application to NSW
January 24: Received ITA from NSW for 190 visa first thing in the morning tears of joy
February 17: Lodged 190 visa application / Scheduled my medicals at St. Luke's BGC
March 4: First-time visit to Melbourne and Sydney
March 13: Medicals
March 17: Police clearance
March 21: Medicals cleared
April 5: Uploaded corrected birth certificate (TYL, my LCRO was efficient)
October 16: Received commencement email
December 28: PR VISA GRANT

Conboyboyjeanaprilm.MACINOZ2023dranreb0326

Comments

• lunarcatlunarcat Posts: 376Member

@era222 said:
    Hi, I'm starting na my big-move research so I won't feel so overwhelmed. There's a lot info about making the move itself, but curious to know what one can do to settle/work/live responsibly in Australia (besides the obvious na obey rules, both written and unspoken, and adapt to the culture). I guess these are things you learn from experience pero would be nice to know.

Things like taxes, which I read you have to file yourself, unlike the Philippines where employers file it for you tama ba? Any important IDs to procure? I know Medicare, TFN, and Centrelink (if eligible) are important.

Saw this site kaso it looks outdated: https://australia101.com/. Hope someone can share any insight!

For taxes not necessarily na ikaw, there are so many tax agents who can do it on your behalf. Just give them all the info they needed. But if you know how, you are free to do it but be very careful to claim your return because they'll review it. Rate: $70 to $100. TFN, Medicare, RSG and RSA (if you'd like to work in a hospitality), WWCC (if you're working with children).
    For transportation, Opal Card (NSW), I know other state, iba sa kanila, PhotoCard, Drivers license, bank card, private insurance card if you have one, sali mo nalang din mga gift and discount cards LOL. If your destination is NSW, you can install Service NSW on your phone. Your cards can be added to your phone excluding Opal card nasa testing phase pa sila :)

era222jinigirlplumbum91EeOZStbMTAuMACINOZ2023medtech18

ANZSCO 261111 ICT Business Analyst | 189 - 75 | 190 (NSW) - 80 | 419 (NSW) - 90
    Oct 2019 - Started my journey to πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Feb 2020 - Arrived in Au - Thank you Lord!
    Oct 2022 - Granted Visa TSS 482 (Medium stream)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)
    15 June 2023 - Consulted IMES and Immi Visa
    22 June 2023 - Submitted all documents for ACS Skills Assessment
    05 July 2023 - Submitted additional doco to IMES
    27 July 2023 - Lodged ACS Assessment
    08 Sept 2023 - PTE (Proficient)
    25 Oct 2023 - Received ACS positive result after 13 weeks
    27 Oct 2023 - EOI Lodgement
    30 Oct 2023 - Corrected EOI for work experience claimed points
    --Waiting for pre-invite--

• ConboyboyConboyboy Sa puso mo

Nice. Following this thread for familiarity.

• era222era222 Philippines

@lunarcat said:

@era222 said:

Saw this site kaso it looks outdated: https://australia101.com/. Hope someone can share any insight!

For taxes not necessarily na ikaw, there are so many tax agents who can do it on your behalf. Just give them all the info they needed. But if you know how, you are free to do it but be very careful to claim your return because they'll review it. Rate: $70 to $100. TFN, Medicare, RSG and RSA (if you'd like to work in a hospitality), WWCC (if you're working with children).
    For transportation, Opal Card (NSW), I know other state, iba sa kanila, PhotoCard, Drivers license, bank card, private insurance card if you have one, sali mo nalang din mga gift and discount cards LOL. If your destination is NSW, you can install Service NSW on your phone. Your cards can be added to your phone excluding Opal card nasa testing phase pa sila :)

Didn't know most of these things, salamat! Ito pala ang how to file taxes for anyone else who needs this info: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/your-tax-return/how-to-lodge-your-tax-return/. Are private insurances a thing kahit na may Medicare?

212415 - Technical Writer | Offshore, PH | With agent | Age: 30 | English: 20 | Work: 0 | Qualification: 15 | Single: 10 | NAATI: 5 | Total: 80+5 for SC190 | Granted 190 NSW

December 22: NAATI CCL - Results - Passed (77.5/90) - Just took the CCL cram course

January 6: Submitted petition for correction of birth certificate (just in case)
    January 10: STATE NOM - Received pre-invite from NSW for 190 TYL / Discontinued VIC ROI
    January 24: Received ITA from NSW for 190 visa first thing in the morning tears of joy
    February 17: Lodged 190 visa application / Scheduled my medicals at St. Luke's BGC

@era222 said:

@lunarcat said:

@era222 said:

Didn't know most of these things, salamat! Ito pala ang how to file taxes for anyone else who needs this info: https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/your-tax-return/how-to-lodge-your-tax-return/. Are private insurances a thing kahit na may Medicare?

Ang repatriation is not part sa Medicare. If ever mamatay (knock on wood), pwedi ka madala pabalik sa Pinas. Mostly OFW po may private insurance with repatriation :)

Btw, meron din TFN (Tax File Number) and ABN (Australian Business Number). You may want to know the difference between the two. I like using TFN kase it will be automatically deducted sa wage ko, for ABN holders, mostly they pay taxes during the tax season :)

era222

Oct 2019 - Started my journey to πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί as a SV holder (Diploma and Adv. diploma of IT)
    Jun 2023 - Start of my PR journey (Thank you, Lord para sa biyaya and opportunity!)

• magueromaguero Adelaide

There are two things you need to consider when deciding whether or not to get private health insurance.

1. Age - If you don't have private health insurance from the time you turn 31 and you decide to get health insurance later on, your premium will be charged an additional 2% from the time you turn 31 and for every year that you don't have private health insurance. Walang problema if you never get private health insurance kaso di mo naman alam kung anong mangyayari sa iyo in the future and you might actually need it. You can read about Lifetime Health Cover here https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-and-private-health-insurance/Private-health-insurance-rebate/Lifetime-health-cover/

2. Income - If you earn above a certain amount and you don't have private health insurance you will be taxed an additional amount. Compute mo kung mas okay na magbayad ka ng additional tax or kung mas okay na ibayad mo sa private health insurance ang amount na yan because private health insurance covers some things that Medicare won't. You can read about the Medicare levy surcharge here https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-and-private-health-insurance/Medicare-levy-surcharge/Paying-the-medicare-levy-surcharge/

era222EeOZJoninhoMACINOZ2023medtech18jinigirl
  • wenwerwuwenwerwu Posts: 201Member

Sa mga nag BM na po or nasa Aus na... roughly magkano yung gastos mo monthly? hehe. Just wanna prepare lang po for my BM while waiting sa grant. thanks po

• MLBSMLBS Manila

@wenwerwu said:
    Sa mga nag BM na po or nasa Aus na... roughly magkano yung gastos mo monthly? hehe. Just wanna prepare lang po for my BM while waiting sa grant. thanks po

Pinakamalaking gastos dito is rent. Depende kung saan ka nagsstay it can go up to 200 per week. The rest is manageable like grocery and phone bills pag may job ka.

233411 Electronics Engineer (Age-30, Educ-15,English proficiency-20, NAATI - 5, Single, - 10 Relative sponsorship - 15)
    95 pts total
    2017*****
    June 3, 2017 = Graduated from College
    July 8, 2017 = Took IELTS GT
    July 21, 2017 = received IELTS results (LRWS = 8/9/7.5/7)
    August 11, 2017 = Lodged EA assessment (Fast track)
    September 6, 2017 = Received positive EA assessment, lodged EOI (489 Family sponsored - 60 pts)
    September 21, 2017 = Took PTE exam
    September 22, 2017 = Received PTE results (LRSW- 90/90/90/90), lodged 189 EOI (60 pts), updated 489 FS EOI (70 pts)
    September 26, 2017 = Lodged 190 EOI (NSW) 65 pts
    2018*****
    1 year wait... still no EOI invite. Decided to pursue student visa instead

Course: Cert IV and Diploma - Work Health and Safety (DNA Kingston)

October 15, 2018 = offer letter from school
    November 8, 2018 = Medical exam (St. Lukes)
    November 20, 2018 = Paid for tuition
    Novemeber 28, 2018 = Received COE
    December 2, 2018 = Lodged visa, after 1 min, granted!
    2019*****
    Feb 4 2019 = arrived to Perth
    2020*****
    Jan 2020 = Age increased to 30 pts
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Jan 26 2020 = Results for NAATI (passed) +5 pts
    Jan 27 2020 = lodged EOI 491 Family
    Feb 10 2020 = invited finally!
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged
    Oct 30 2023 = 191 granted

@wenwerwu said:

Single living in a private room + no car:

Basic needs: transpo, grocery, rent, water, gas, electricity, internet, private insurance, mobile plan = $1,600.00+

Di kasali: savings (if kaya maka save), padala family, reward sa self= entertainment, wellness, travel, clothing, need sa bahay, medicines, food (kain sa labas), in short luho 🀣

Nag check ako sa money manager ko last month lang $900+ food. 🀣🀣

Tbh, I mostly save money for savings during tax season..

athelenejinigirl

• atheleneathelene Brisbane

@era222 said:

Saw this site kaso it looks outdated: https://australia101.com/. Hope someone can share any insight about these and other things na rin!

When I moved here (on a student visa), the first things I did were the following:

1. Open bank account (need to go to the branch in person to verify my ID)
    2. Get Photo Card (or Driver's License kung marunong ka magmaneho, ako hindi kaya Photo Card lang hahaha). This Photo Card (used to be called Proof of Age card) is issued by the government, so it's a good ID card to have, especially if you don't want to be carrying your passport everywhere you go.
    3. Apply for TFN (they will send you your TFN via snail mail)
    4. Get a mobile number (prepaid or postpaid). In my case I used prepaid for the first few months, just to gauge my mobile usage, and then I switched to a cheap postpaid plan. Kung may stable wifi naman kayo sa bahay, then you probably don't need much mobile data. If you switch between telco providers, you can opt to keep your number and have it transferred to your new telco (they call it porting).
    5. Get a transport card (Opal card in NSW, Myki in Victoria, Go Card in Queensland, MetroCard in Adelaide, MyWay in Canberra, Smartrider in Perth, Greencard in Tasmania, Tap and Ride in Darwin)

If you want, you can also get a Keypass ID from Australia Post, which works like a Proof of Age card.

If you are working as an employer for a company, you will usually provide your TFN during the onboarding process. The ABN you can only use if you are doing contractual work (i.e. freelancing) or running your own business. When you apply for your ABN, you will need to provide your TFN, so both will be linked to your ATO account.

Private health insurance is optional. Since hindi ako PR, I don't know the details about the benefits of having vs not having them. Personally I signed up for private health insurance for the Extras (stuff that my OSHC does not cover), like dental and optical.

Depending on your occupation or the type of work you want to apply for, you may be required to get Blue Card/WWCC, White Card (for construction), or some other certificates (Forklift Licence, Food Handling, RSA, RCG, First Aid) prior to application. Just check the requirements of the job, and get the ones you need.

_jkvon1xxlmsg06Conboyboyera222IamTimMACINOZ2023ina008medtech18jinigirl

232111 (Architect) | Current points: 65

30-01-2018 Applied for student visa (MArchSci), offshore application.
    11-08-2020 Applied for student visa (PhD), onshore application.
    28-02-2022 Submitted application to AACA for skills assessment (OQA Stage 1)
    27-05-2022 Received skills assessment outcome (Suitable/Positive)
    Next steps: PTE exam

• era222era222 Philippines

@athelene said:

@era222 said:

When I moved here (on a student visa), the first things I did were the following:

2. Get Photo Card (or Driver's License kung marunong ka magmaneho, ako hindi kaya Photo Card lang hahaha). This Photo Card (used to be called Proof of Age card) is issued by the government, so it's a good ID card to have, especially if you don't want to be carrying your passport everywhere you go.
    4. Get a mobile number (prepaid or postpaid). In my case I used prepaid for the first few months, just to gauge my mobile usage, and then I switched to a cheap postpaid plan. Kung may stable wifi naman kayo sa bahay, then you probably don't need much mobile data. If you switch between telco providers, you can opt to keep your number and have it transferred to your new telco (they call it porting).
    5. Get a transport card (Opal card in NSW, Myki in Victoria, Go Card in Queensland, MetroCard in Adelaide, MyWay in Canberra, Smartrider in Perth, Greencard in Tasmania, Tap and Ride in Darwin)

If you want, you can also get a Keypass ID from Australia Post, which works like a Proof of Age card.

If you are working as an employer for a company, you will usually provide your TFN during the onboarding process. The ABN you can only use if you are doing contractual work (i.e. freelancing) or running your own business. When you apply for your ABN, you will need to provide your TFN, so both will be linked to your ATO account.

Private health insurance is optional. Since hindi ako PR, I don't know the details about the benefits of having vs not having them. Personally I signed up for private health insurance for the Extras (stuff that my OSHC does not cover), like dental and optical.

Depending on your occupation or the type of work you want to apply for, you may be required to get Blue Card/WWCC, White Card (for construction), or some other certificates (Forklift Licence, Food Handling, RSA, RCG, First Aid) prior to application. Just check the requirements of the job, and get the ones you need.

Thank you, super thorough! TIL yung porting hehe, a foreign concept so thanks for specifying that.

• RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,693Member, Administrator, Moderator

@lunarcat said:

@era222 said:

@lunarcat said:

@era222 said:

Ang repatriation is not part sa Medicare. If ever mamatay (knock on wood), pwedi ka madala pabalik sa Pinas. Mostly OFW po may private insurance with repatriation :)

Btw, meron din TFN (Tax File Number) and ABN (Australian Business Number). You may want to know the difference between the two. I like using TFN kase it will be automatically deducted sa wage ko, for ABN holders, mostly they pay taxes during the tax season :)

ABN is only relevant for self employment/business. If you’re neither of the two then TFN only applies.

IamTimlunarcat
  • ina008ina008 Posts: 72Member

@athelene said:

@era222 said:

Hello po! Pano po kayo nakakuha ng room for rent pag punta nyo dyan? Nag-aaccept na po ba yung mga flatmates kahit nasa overseas pa?

"So don’t allow your hearts to grow dull or lose your enthusiasm, but follow the example of those who fully received what God has promised because of their strong faith and patient endurance." - Hebrews 6:12 TPT

• jakibantilesjakibantiles Sydney

@wenwerwu said:

Hello.

Couple based in Liverpool, NSW:
    Rent: 1,777/mo (1br+1study apartment)
    Car: 1,100/mo (all in)
    Food: 600/mo
    Phone bills: 180/mo (for 2, 100Gb)
    Gas/water/electricity/internet: 60 each/mo
    Insurance: 187/mo (couples cover, bupa)
    Travel/Entertainment: 500/mo

Dumating kami end of Dec 2020. Wala pa kaming masyadong kakilala nun kaya all new furnitures. Umabot ng halos 4k yung basics. Paunti unti na lang nadagdagan at napalitan.

ina008lunarcatConboyboyMACINOZ2023

ANZSCO 233512 | Mechanical Engineer | Age: 30, Education: 15, Work Experience: 10, PTE: 20, Spouse: 10, CCL: 5 | State Nom: 5 (NSW)

Lodged Visa 482 | 17 Mar 2020 | Granted 24 Sep 2020 while Offshore
    Travel Exemption | DOA: 08 Oct 2020 | Approved: 12 Oct 2020

Lodged EOI: Visa 190/95pts NSW
    DOE: 23 Dec 2020
    Pre-Invite: 10 June 2021
    ITA: 18 June 2021
    Visa Lodge: 05 Aug 2021
    Medical: 31 Jan 2022
    Visa Grant: 20 Apr 2022

@ina008 said:
    Hello po! Pano po kayo nakakuha ng room for rent pag punta nyo dyan? Nag-aaccept na po ba yung mga flatmates kahit nasa overseas pa?

I stayed with my cousins for a few weeks until I was able to find a place. I found my first place via flatmates, and the second one via student accommodation website. You can check out Flatmates since there's usually fewer hoops to go through than when you're applying for a rental on Realestate.com.au.

I would not recommend signing or entering into any contract while you're still overseas as scams are prevalent nowadays.

edited March 2023

@lunarcat said:

Basic needs: transpo, grocery, rent, water, gas, electricity, internet, private insurance, mobile plan = $1,600.00+

Di kasali: savings (if kaya maka save), padala family, reward sa self= entertainment, wellness, travel, clothing, need sa bahay, medicines, food (kain sa labas), in short luho 🀣

I stopped using finance tracking apps kasi nadedepress lang ako pag nakikita ko kung magkano ang ginagastos ko sa food :D

@wenwerwu said:

Living in Brissy, single person, no car

Rent: AUD 900/month (own room but sharing kitchen, bathroom; bills inclusive)
    Transpo: AUD 30-60/month (I'm on concession since uni student, so half-price ang fare ko)
    Mobile plan: AUD 60/month
    Extras Health Insurance: AUD 130/month
    Grocery: AUD 300-500/month
    Leisure (eating out, shopping, travel): depende sa luho mo hahaha

Total: AUD 1420 to 1650 (basic expenses, hindi kasama ang leisure, medicine, travel, etc.)

In my experience, malaki ang matitipid mo kung magluluto sa bahay at magdala ng baon to work.

My expenses per month vary as well, as there are some months na busy sa work, so no time to cook at home kaya puro takeway or eat out ako.

ConboyboyMACINOZ2023

• ina008ina008 Posts: 72Member

@athelene said:

@ina008 said:

I stayed with my cousins for a few weeks until I was able to find a place. I found my first place via flatmates, and the second one via student accommodation website. You can check out Flatmates since there's usually fewer hoops to go through than when you're applying for a rental on Realestate.com.au.

I would not recommend signing or entering into any contract while you're still overseas as scams are prevalent nowadays.

salamat po sa sagot. yun nga din concern ko yung ma scam

"So don’t allow your hearts to grow dull or lose your enthusiasm, but follow the example of those who fully received what God has promised because of their strong faith and patient endurance." - Hebrews 6:12 TPT

@athelene said:

@lunarcat said:

I stopped using finance tracking apps kasi nadedepress lang ako pag nakikita ko kung magkano ang ginagastos ko sa food :D

@wenwerwu said:

Living in Brissy, single person, no car

Rent: AUD 900/month (own room but sharing kitchen, bathroom; bills inclusive)
    Transpo: AUD 30-60/month (I'm on concession since uni student, so half-price ang fare ko)
    Mobile plan: AUD 60/month
    Extras Health Insurance: AUD 130/month
    Grocery: AUD 300-500/month
    Leisure (eating out, shopping, travel): depende sa luho mo hahaha

Total: AUD 1420 to 1650 (basic expenses, hindi kasama ang leisure, medicine, travel, etc.)

In my experience, malaki ang matitipid mo kung magluluto sa bahay at magdala ng baon to work.

My expenses per month vary as well, as there are some months na busy sa work, so no time to cook at home kaya puro takeway or eat out ako.

Yon nga e. I am considering not using it na because nakikita kong mas malaki pa food and luho expenses ko per month kaysa savings ko. Naging wake-up call ko na tong post na to. Uninstalling it now 🀣 Thank you!! Na depress nga ako sa $900 last month e. πŸ˜„ Di ko alam san galing dami nag birthday tas invite here and there. πŸ˜†

Hahahaha hindi mawawala ang luho LOL. Enjoy enjoy din sa life 😊 I agree sa post mo palagi with full of sense.

@lunarcat said:
    Yon nga e. I am considering not using it na because nakikita kong mas malaki pa food and luho expenses ko per month kaysa savings ko. Naging wake-up call ko na tong post na to. Uninstalling it now 🀣 Thank you!! Na depress nga ako sa $900 last month e. πŸ˜„ Di ko alam san galing dami nag birthday tas invite here and there. πŸ˜†

Hahahaha hindi mawawala ang luho LOL. Enjoy enjoy din sa life 😊 I agree sa post mo palagi with full of sense.

Dati talaga hindi ako gumagastos for myself, talagang basic stuff lang, until I realized that I was super depriving myself of leisure/entertainment. Hindi rin pala maganda na i-deprive ang sarili from simple pleasures (occasional coffee or cake, watching movie, hanging out with friends), so I had to adjust my budget to allow for self-care expenses.

My current system for budgeting is like the (cash) envelope system, but using Westpac app. So I allocate money to different categories (including leisure and savings :D ), and then transfer funds just before paying. Pag wala nang laman yung category/goal na yun, wala na...hindi na pwede gumala or magshopping until the next payday :D

MACINOZ2023era222

@athelene said:

@lunarcat said:

Dati talaga hindi ako gumagastos for myself, talagang basic stuff lang, until I realized that I was super depriving myself of leisure/entertainment. Hindi rin pala maganda na i-deprive ang sarili from simple pleasures (occasional coffee or cake, watching movie, hanging out with friends), so I had to adjust my budget to allow for self-care expenses.

My current system for budgeting is like the (cash) envelope system, but using Westpac app. So I allocate money to different categories (including leisure and savings :D ), and then transfer funds just before paying. Pag wala nang laman yung category/goal na yun, wala na...hindi na pwede gumala or magshopping until the next payday :D

True sa first paragraph. I was in your shoes too, and na realize ko na puro nalang surviving not living πŸ˜….. Self-depriving hindi talaga maganda. Laban sa self-care over self-deprive πŸ’ͺ πŸ’–

Westpac Life ba to? Thanks for giving me an idea. I'll do the same too as I'm using Wetspac app.

@lunarcat said:
    True sa first paragraph. I was in your shoes too, and na realize ko na puro nalang surviving not living πŸ˜….. Self-depriving hindi talaga maganda. Laban sa self-care over self-deprive πŸ’ͺ πŸ’–

Westpac Life ba to? Thanks for giving me an idea. I'll do the same too as I'm using Wetspac app.

I'm still learning how to transition my lifestyle to include self-care. It's a long process because I've been so used to depriving myself of a lot of things, but I think making progress naman. :blush:

Yes, may feature sa app to set up goals in Westpac Life, then rename mo to whichever category you want.