Ad space available
reach us at [email protected].
Major update has been completed. Please help to report any abnormality that you are facing (in case there is any) to [email protected] . Thank you for your continued support guys!

491 and 190 visa applicable for our situation?

Hello everyone! I hope someone can help us with our situation.

So here it goes. My mom is currently a permanent residency visa holder (partner visa) in Australia. She is currently residing in Darwin NT and has a permanent job there as an Admin Assistant. Her husband, an Australian born and citizen, is also well established in his field of work. My mom is currently applying for her Citizenship this year.

Now the question is this, what visa subclass do we go if I'm (30M) and my brother (28M) are not totally dependent anymore from our mom and have a stable career on our field. Both of us are University graduates with a Bachelors Degree in Communication from the Philippines. I have a 7 years of experience in my particular field of endeavour, and 3 years of experience for my brother.

With the information that I've stated above, what are the possible course of actions that we can explore? My mom and step-dad are willing and able to provide financial support and accommodation for us.

So far we've checked the 491, 189, and 190 for the skilled visa; 115 and 835 for the family visa. Though family visa is a hit or miss for us since it will take years nay decades to be approved.

190 visa is what we're eyeing for cause based on the eligibility for nomination on the NT website, we've checked mostly of the criteria except for the skillselect score since we haven't taken any test yet. Question is, will it be viable to push for this or just take the 491 visa?

If we're going to hire a migration agent/agency, will it expedite the process? And for those who have hired one, how much is the going rate now for those agent/agencies?

If any of you there have the same situation and have succeeded in living in Australia, kindly tell us your experience.

Thank you!

Comments

• MLBSMLBS Manila
    edited February 2023

@yowyosh said:

So here it goes. My mom is currently a permanent residency visa holder (partner visa) in Australia. She is currently residing in Darwin NT and has a permanent job there as an Admin Assistant. Her husband, an Australian born and citizen, is also well established in his field of work. My mom is currently applying for her Citizenship this year.

Now the question is this, what visa subclass do we go if I'm (30M) and my brother (28M) are not totally dependent anymore from our mom and have a stable career on our field. Both of us are University graduates with a Bachelors Degree in Communication from the Philippines. I have a 7 years of experience in my particular field of endeavour, and 3 years of experience for my brother.

With the information that I've stated above, what are the possible course of actions that we can explore? My mom and step-dad are willing and able to provide financial support and accommodation for us.

So far we've checked the 491, 189, and 190 for the skilled visa; 115 and 835 for the family visa. Though family visa is a hit or miss for us since it will take years nay decades to be approved.

190 visa is what we're eyeing for cause based on the eligibility for nomination on the NT website, we've checked mostly of the criteria except for the skillselect score since we haven't taken any test yet. Question is, will it be viable to push for this or just take the 491 visa?

If we're going to hire a migration agent/agency, will it expedite the process? And for those who have hired one, how much is the going rate now for those agent/agencies?

If any of you there have the same situation and have succeeded in living in Australia, kindly tell us your experience.

Thank you!

I'll try to summarize how the PR process is done:

1. You need to figure out which visa you can apply with your profession. Some occupations can only apply for 190 and 491, which are state/family sponsored visas.
    2. When you know your target visa, you need to apply for a skills assessment. Different assessing bodies handle different occupations. In my case, Engineer ako so I applied for a skills assessment sa Engineers Australia
    3. Take an English exam (PTE recommended mas madali makakuha ng high scores) Minsan you need to take an english exam first kasi reqt yun sa skills assessment, depende sa occupation yan
    4. When you have the skills assessment and English test, create an Expression of Interest. If 190 target nyo, check the website of the state. Each state kasi may iba't ibang reqts
    5. If high enough points/fulfilled ang state reqts, maiinvite ka to apply for a visa

Agents don't make the process faster (like mainvite ka agad or your visa gets granted ASAP), they only help you by figuring out the legal stuff, and you guys submit your docs to them. Find reputable ones if you want to do this.

Hope this helps!

jinigirl

233411 Electronics Engineer (Age-30, Educ-15,English proficiency-20, NAATI - 5, Single, - 10 Relative sponsorship - 15)
    95 pts total
    2017*****
    June 3, 2017 = Graduated from College
    July 8, 2017 = Took IELTS GT
    July 21, 2017 = received IELTS results (LRWS = 8/9/7.5/7)
    August 11, 2017 = Lodged EA assessment (Fast track)
    September 6, 2017 = Received positive EA assessment, lodged EOI (489 Family sponsored - 60 pts)
    September 21, 2017 = Took PTE exam
    September 22, 2017 = Received PTE results (LRSW- 90/90/90/90), lodged 189 EOI (60 pts), updated 489 FS EOI (70 pts)
    September 26, 2017 = Lodged 190 EOI (NSW) 65 pts
    2018*****
    1 year wait... still no EOI invite. Decided to pursue student visa instead

Course: Cert IV and Diploma - Work Health and Safety (DNA Kingston)

October 15, 2018 = offer letter from school
    November 8, 2018 = Medical exam (St. Lukes)
    November 20, 2018 = Paid for tuition
    Novemeber 28, 2018 = Received COE
    December 2, 2018 = Lodged visa, after 1 min, granted!
    2019*****
    Feb 4 2019 = arrived to Perth
    2020*****
    Jan 2020 = Age increased to 30 pts
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Jan 26 2020 = Results for NAATI (passed) +5 pts
    Jan 27 2020 = lodged EOI 491 Family
    Feb 10 2020 = invited finally!
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged
    Oct 30 2023 = 191 granted

• yowyoshyowyosh Posts: 2Member

@MLBS said:

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

1. You need to figure out which visa you can apply with your profession. Some occupations can only apply for 190 and 491, which are state/family sponsored visas.
    2. When you know your target visa, you need to apply for a skills assessment. Different assessing bodies handle different occupations. In my case, Engineer ako so I applied for a skills assessment sa Engineers Australia
    3. Take an English exam (PTE recommended mas madali makakuha ng high scores) Minsan you need to take an english exam first kasi reqt yun sa skills assessment, depende sa occupation yan
    4. When you have the skills assessment and English test, create an Expression of Interest. If 190 target nyo, check the website of the state. Each state kasi may iba't ibang reqts
    5. If high enough points/fulfilled ang state reqts, maiinvite ka to apply for a visa

Agents don't make the process faster (like mainvite ka agad or your visa gets granted ASAP), they only help you by figuring out the legal stuff, and you guys submit your docs to them. Find reputable ones if you want to do this.

Hope this helps!

Salamat dito. The assessment that you took, sa Pinas or dito sa AU mo kinuha? Currently we're here kasi sa AU for a vacation, do you think taking the assessment here is better?

Also how long is the assessment score valid?

• _sebodemacho_sebodemacho Melbourne, VIC
    edited February 2023

@yowyosh said:

@MLBS said:

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

Hope this helps!

Salamat dito. The assessment that you took, sa Pinas or dito sa AU mo kinuha? Currently we're here kasi sa AU for a vacation, do you think taking the assessment here is better?

Depende sa assessing body valid yung results for 2-3yrs.

Nasa vacation ka lang naman dyan sa AU, you don't reside there so your residence must still be indicated as PH. Walang rin naman diperensya kahit saan mo sya gawin, ultimately you need to provide docs as required by the assessing body.

DIY all the way. Avoid preachy, know-it-all, and unscrupulous agents AT ALL COSTS!

"We must look for ways to be an active force in our own lives. We must take charge of our own destinies, design a life of substance and truly begin to live our dreams." - Les Brown

261312 (Developer Programmer) - Main | 261111 (ICT Business Analyst) - Wife

189 (95), 190 (100)

14 Nov | BIG MOVE
    01 Nov | HIRED | First day of work. Remote working arrangement from SG
    --- Trying my luck at job hunting while in Singapore and BM planning on the side ---
    19 Apr | Direct Visa Grant | What a journey... JUST GRATEFUL!

2022 - Pandemic Eases Off

17 Nov | Medical Test Clearance
    15 Nov | Medical Test
    03 Nov | EOI #4, #6 | 189 Withdrawn, 190 NSW Withdrawn
    03 Nov | Visa Application | 190 VIC --- THE REAL WAITING GAME BEGINS!!!
    31 Oct | ITA | 190 VIC | never thought this day would come!!! T.T good decision to defer NSW nomination.
    27 Oct | Pre-ITA | 190 NSW --- sabi nila, when it rains, it pours!!!
    26 Oct | Nomination Application | 190 VIC
    26 Oct | Pre-ITA | 190 VIC --- one step closer, sa wakas, PADAYON!!!
    21 Oct | EOI #4, #5 + ROI, #6 DoE | 189, 190 VIC, 190 NSW
    21 Oct | ACS Assessment (Wife) Renewal - Suitable
    xx Mar| EOI#1, #2, #3 | 189 Expired, 190 NSW Expired, 190 VIC Expired

2021 - Pandemic Still

25 Sep | ACS Assessment (Main) Renewal - Suitable
    01 Feb | EOI#4 DoE | 189

2020 - Pandemic

19 Aug | EOI#1, #2, #3 DoE | 189, 190 NSW, 190 VIC
    30 Jul | NAATI CCL Online Test | Result: Passed
    09 Mar | PTE (Wife) | Results: L90 R80 S90 W82 (Superior)
    19 Feb | PTE (Main) | Results: L90 R83 S90 W82 (Superior)
    12 Feb | ACS Assessment (Wife) - Suitable | Expired

24 Oct | ACS Assessment (Main) - Suitable | Expired

--- Tons of research, document collection and other necessary preparations ---
    01 Sep | The Beginning | Had the chance to visit Oz, and immediately fell in love with it!

• MLBSMLBS Manila

@yowyosh said:

@MLBS said:

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

Hope this helps!

Assessment is online lang, you can do it wherever. You need to submit docs to the assessing body. Immigration accepts validity of the assessment within the last 3 years upon invite.

233411 Electronics Engineer (Age-30, Educ-15,English proficiency-20, NAATI - 5, Single, - 10 Relative sponsorship - 15)
    95 pts total
    2017*****
    June 3, 2017 = Graduated from College
    July 8, 2017 = Took IELTS GT
    July 21, 2017 = received IELTS results (LRWS = 8/9/7.5/7)
    August 11, 2017 = Lodged EA assessment (Fast track)
    September 6, 2017 = Received positive EA assessment, lodged EOI (489 Family sponsored - 60 pts)
    September 21, 2017 = Took PTE exam
    September 22, 2017 = Received PTE results (LRSW- 90/90/90/90), lodged 189 EOI (60 pts), updated 489 FS EOI (70 pts)
    September 26, 2017 = Lodged 190 EOI (NSW) 65 pts
    2018*****
    1 year wait... still no EOI invite. Decided to pursue student visa instead

Course: Cert IV and Diploma - Work Health and Safety (DNA Kingston)

October 15, 2018 = offer letter from school
    November 8, 2018 = Medical exam (St. Lukes)
    November 20, 2018 = Paid for tuition
    Novemeber 28, 2018 = Received COE
    December 2, 2018 = Lodged visa, after 1 min, granted!
    2019*****
    Feb 4 2019 = arrived to Perth
    2020*****
    Jan 2020 = Age increased to 30 pts
    Jan 20 2020 = Took NAATI
    Jan 26 2020 = Results for NAATI (passed) +5 pts
    Jan 27 2020 = lodged EOI 491 Family
    Feb 10 2020 = invited finally!
    Oct 8 2020 = 491 granted
    Oct 8 2023 = 191 Lodged
    Oct 30 2023 = 191 granted

• era222era222 Philippines
    edited February 2023

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

Find out which occupation on the skills occupation list (SOL) closely matches your work experience—that's what you can nominate as your occupation under skilled migration. Here's the official list: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list. It's important that your experience fits the duties stated (you can click the ANZSCO code of the occupation on the list, and it'll take you to the ABS website, which lists the duties), not the job title per se.

The SOL also lists out the visa options for each occupation, and the assessing body for the skills assessment.

As for visa options, note that if your nominated occupation is eligible for both a 190 and 491, you can actually lodge expressions of interest (EOI) for both, if you want to take that route. For now, I would say figure out your nominated occupation + skills assessment first to get the ball rolling.

To weigh in on hiring a migration agent/agency, it won't expedite the process. There are mixed opinions and experiences, but the choice to get one or not really depends on your circumstances (capacity to research or invest time learning/doing the whole process, complexity of your case, and your budget, among others) and your priorities (for example, if it's highly important to you to have sole control and access to your application, then DIY might suit you fine; but if you want to put more focus on your life and have your application running in the background, then an agent might be for you).

I've seen some DIY'ers take longer, others on agents progress quicker, and vice versa. Timelines differ on a variety of factors, not just whether the applicant had an agent or not, so it's difficult to generalise.

Whichever you choose, I'd advise you to still do your own research (yes, even if you have a knowledgeable agent). Doing so would help you play a proactive role in the process, rather than just wholly depending on the agent's orders or requests. Communication is key when working with an agent as there will likely be a lot of back-and-forth.

So far, the price range I've seen runs between PHP 100–300k. Should you employ one, ensure that you have the agent's registration number (MARN), which you can validate on the MARA website.

MLBSMakunerujinigirl

212415 - Technical Writer | Offshore, PH | With agent | Age: 30 | English: 20 | Work: 0 | Qualification: 15 | Single: 10 | NAATI: 5 | Total: 80+5 for SC190 | Granted 190 NSW

December 5: Started consulting with agents

March 5: Hiatus

February 28: Resumed my application
    June 16: PTE - Started studying on my own (Used Pearson mock tests and APEUni)
    June 21: PTE - Booked my exam
    June 23: VETASSESS - Submitted my application
    June 24: VETASSESS - Status "Lodged"
    August 26: PTE - Exam at Trident Makati
    August 30: PTE - Results: SUPERIOR (LRSW 90) - Read my study/exam tips
    September 14: NAATI CCL - Booked my exam
    November 26: NAATI CCL - Exam
    November 30: VETASSESS - Requested for updated reference letter
    December 7: VETASSESS - Submitted updated reference letter
    December 16: VETASSESS - Result - POSITIVE ASSESSMENT!
    December 22: NAATI CCL - Results - Passed (77.5/90) - Just took the CCL cram course
    December 23: EOI - Lodged 190 for VIC and NSW

January 6: Submitted petition for correction of birth certificate (just in case)
    January 10: STATE NOM - Received pre-invite from NSW for 190 TYL / Discontinued VIC ROI
    January 23: STATE NOM - Submitted nomination application to NSW
    January 24: Received ITA from NSW for 190 visa first thing in the morning tears of joy
    February 17: Lodged 190 visa application / Scheduled my medicals at St. Luke's BGC
    March 4: First-time visit to Melbourne and Sydney
    March 13: Medicals
    March 17: Police clearance
    March 21: Medicals cleared
    April 5: Uploaded corrected birth certificate (TYL, my LCRO was efficient)
    October 16: Received commencement email
    December 28: PR VISA GRANT

• RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,693Member, Administrator, Moderator

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

Firstly, there was no mention of the occupation you and your brother are looking at nominating so it would be difficult the suggest if a GSM visa will be the right way to go.

If there is indeed an occupation from the occupation list that can be nominated, then you are at the right track when it comes to shying away from a family visa because it really will take ages . GSM visa is the fastest way to get to Australia as residents. The only thing though is NT only nominates candidates for 190 who are already living in their state. You are only on a visitors visa which means you’re not living in NT. The best option would be a 491 instead. The thing about NT is they are very selective of who they will nominate but having your mum in NT us definitely a plus.

Will an agent expedite the whole process? It’s a both a yes and no. It depends how you look at it…In terms of cutting down the time you spend on your research, preparing all the documents, getting strategic and making sure that only decision ready applications are submitted - then definitely the agent will be able to make things faster….but if you expect that the agent has a way to tell immigration to expedite things, then that’s a no. All submissions are on equal footing. Bumibilis Lang with agents because they likely won’t make mistakes compared to a DIY application. They are able to present the case to make sure everything needed is in the application and the only needed to do by the officer is decide on it.

Hope that helps.

• RheaMARN1171933RheaMARN1171933 Posts: 2,693Member, Administrator, Moderator

@MLBS said:

@yowyosh said:

Thank you!

Hope this helps!

Just to comment on #2 & # 5 in case it could be misleading…

2…..when I take on cases, we do not really target a particular visa. We identify which visa options they’ll have - if occupation is from MLTSSL then options are 189, 190 and 491. If in STSOL the. Just 190 and 491. We keep all options open until EOI stage where we express interest on all visa options and just let things happen, whichever invite comes first then that’s the right visa to go for. I find that targeting a specific visa from the start is limiting a client’s opportunities to get there as residents. We exhaust all possible opportunities vs fixating to a particular visa.

5 states are very particular with their disclosure that applying for state nomination nor lodging ROI will guarantee a successful nomination application/invite. Mire so if one is just waiting for an invite. It can’t be assume that one will get an invite because if high points and meeting the selection criteria. There is always the possibility that the state will favour other candidates.

hope these give a clearer picture ;)

MLBSConboyboyd_b
  • d_bd_b Posts: 84Member

Hi @RheaMARN1171933, everyone, same lang po ba ang required documents na isina-submit when lodging 190 and 491 VISAs? Below are for 491:

• Evidence of birth/age
    • Evidence of english language ability
    • Evidence of overseas qualifications
    • Evidence of skills assessment
    • Travel document
    • Evidence of overseas work experience
    • Evidence of character history (PH)
    • Evidence of character history (SG)
    • Facial image
    • Form 80 (if required, but best to submit during lodgement)
      Ganyan din po ba requirements for 190?

20220115 - Drunk-booked an IELTS exam to force myself to start my immigration journey
    20220122 - Took the exam with a week's review. 1st take IELTS result: L8.0/R8.5/W_6.5_/S8.5
    20220123 - Joined this forum and never logged in since
    20220324 - Payment and documents submission for skills assessment
    20220426 - Skills assessment outcome: Positive
    Dormant for a few months due to work commitment
    20221114 - Got interested in NZ from stories of friends who went there
    20230101 - Started to look for agents/agencies to help me; was advised to redirect my efforts to AU because of my readily available positive skills assessment result
    20230213 - Was advised to retake my English Test and try PTE. PTE 1st take result: 90 overall
    20230312 - Started submitting EOI's
    20230424 - Received ITA from NSW
    20230430 - Started to get active in this forum
    20230520 - Online Submission
    xxxxxxxx - I don't even know what's next. Ginaya ko lang yung signature ng iba.
    20240208 - Golden email received